Was one character per account a mistake?

Floky

Mar 2, 2021
merica
Sure it will be harder to find a fight. In all those fights, one side had to travel to those guard zones and now that will be much harder, not only that, with having your crafter tied to your fighter most will need to be much more careful what fights they take.

I don't think most people bothered to fully build their grief characters, so plenty will just have an extra account or two and keep rerolling like before.

Boulder holders were not very much used after the new houses were introduced. A house could be built cheaply and filled in a couple of hours practically anywhere and you could do nothing but siege it, but that didn't let you have or destroy the boulders. Using boulder holders no longer made sense.

Solo players will have more trouble, and guilds will need to be even bigger than MO1 in order to have all the crafts covered (not a good thing, in my opinion.)

Half of your character will have to be a crafter whether you like it or not, because half of the points can only be used for crafting, and taming is under the combat half of the skill tree.
I understand that but the lores for the animals are not so you could make a dom mage butcher / tamer and potentially thief depend on what section it is under

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
That is still only 2 chars worth of points from MO1, not 2.5. Even though both chars would have had to have the lore points, you could still do all of those things on 2 characters.

Floky

Mar 2, 2021
merica
the issue I have with the one char system is pvp not being able to have a char where the action is and haveing an hr walk to get to it have any of you gone from gk to fab it take 2 hrs like crap I'm going to need to to have multiple account not cuz of limiting my char build but the map is MASSIVE and I don't think I could gib a poop to walk a few hrs to do 10 min of pvp.

Reactions: Rorry

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I disagree. Having multiple characters just allowed way too many shenanigans. People with bad rep would be constantly re-rolling chars to hide behind new names. Could never tell who’s who.

now re-rolling will be a pretty big deal with having to skill up again and transfer all your bank stuff. People will think twice...and about cheating and exploiting too.

People will still do that. It's not THAT hard to level in this game. And multiple characters is just as possible as it was before. It just costs more. So it's more Pay-To-Win to be frank.

Reactions: Gulith

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Right now I'm already hoping to run two accounts for myself and my fiance. She wanted to be a thief, I wanted to be a tamer. Given people have lobbied in support of those professions being misclassified as action skills, I'll likely have a dedicated crafting account so that we don't have to gimp our main fighters to do them. Side benefit is my old desktop is still hooked up sitting next to this one so I might have him chop some trees while I'm out fighting on my main if that computer can handle this game well enough for tree chopping.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Right now I'm already hoping to run two accounts for myself and my fiance. She wanted to be a thief, I wanted to be a tamer. Given people have lobbied in support of those professions being misclassified as action skills, I'll likely have a dedicated crafting account so that we don't have to gimp our main fighters to do them. Side benefit is my old desktop is still hooked up sitting next to this one so I might have him chop some trees while I'm out fighting on my main if that computer can handle this game well enough for tree chopping.
You want to spend 1000$ a year to play MO on 4 accounts? Great, good for you. I’m sure a few other will do likewise, but it won’t be the majority of players. A 20$ sub is already a stumbling block for a lot of players. Double or triple that is just not sensible for most.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
You want to spend 1000$ a year to play MO on 4 accounts? Great, good for you. I’m sure a few other will do likewise, but it won’t be the majority of players. A 20$ sub is already a stumbling block for a lot of players. Double or triple that is just not sensible for most.

I believe it's a 12ish dollar sub, and most people I know who are really serious about the game are discussing a 2nd account. Pay to win.

May 28, 2020
Game didn't even start yet and the title is asking if the change was a mistake...concern trolling much? My biggest gripe is that I feel playing the more specialized builds is now a question of financial dedication to the game as you will likely want more than one account for that purpose as those characters would be quite limited in their activity spectrum. I am likely to create a Tindremene on release for that reason just so I get well balanced attributes for hybrid gameplay and as many skill points as possible, because I don't want to maintain a second account just so I can experience more of what the game has to offer. Maybe I'll buy a second account down the line to make a wholly different character, but I wouldn't sub them at the same time(although now questions regarding housing taxes come to mind for example).

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Ultimately I think EVE had the best model of any game in terms of how skills were treated once you acquire them. Not the passive training concept, but the idea that you can train every skill in the game, you just can't use them all at once.

In terms of how that could work for Mortal, trained skills and activated skills. You can train every skill in the game to 100, but you can still only have 1100 or 1200 or whatever the cap is functioning at the same time. So you don't need to retrain into a new build. You just move your points over in a process that doesn't involve retraining your entire character.

Ultimately though even with such a system the issue of racial imbalance rears its ugly head yet again as say, a Veela can do nearly any build well, while some races only have 1-2 viable options. If any. So I hold little hope that it will ever actually be implemented. But skillcaps IMO have always been pretty bad systems.

Reactions: Floky

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Ultimately I think EVE had the best model of any game in terms of how skills were treated once you acquire them. Not the passive training concept, but the idea that you can train every skill in the game, you just can't use them all at once.

In terms of how that could work for Mortal, trained skills and activated skills. You can train every skill in the game to 100, but you can still only have 1100 or 1200 or whatever the cap is functioning at the same time. So you don't need to retrain into a new build. You just move your points over in a process that doesn't involve retraining your entire character.

Ultimately though even with such a system the issue of racial imbalance rears its ugly head yet again as say, a Veela can do nearly any build well, while some races only have 1-2 viable options. If any. So I hold little hope that it will ever actually be implemented. But skillcaps IMO have always been pretty bad systems.

Honestly it wasn´t a big deal to respec a character in MO1 and it probably be less of a problem in MO2. People are just very set in their ways and never really tried the system in that way. I did and found it was actually fairly flexible.

A lot of the lores that are expensive to raise are also secondary, which means you don´t loose any progress at all by switching them around.

Your system sounds like a more complicated version of having all skills at the same time for crafting and a weird cooldown based system for action skills. No thank you.

Reactions: Valoran

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
People are too used to having to do everything yourself(or within your group of friends or guild) due to lack of reliable goods on the marketplace. Mostly due to lack of incentive to put things on there and lack of the number of players to both buy and sell the goods.

If MO2 can sustain any decent numbers of players it wont take long until people get used to not making all their own stuff.

Floky

Mar 2, 2021
merica
let's be fair here starvault is not brain dead if having one char is a really big problem they can add more later let's all go into mo2 with open minds

Hogordin

Feb 13, 2021
Having 1 slot is one of the very few things i loved about darkfall and the things that brought with it. I think its gonna be cool in mo2 also. That is IF (and thats a big IF) they can make it so every character is viable to enjoy aspects of the game solo.. So yes, solo mage pve should be fixed etc etc etc etc

Floky

Mar 2, 2021
merica
I had 15 chars in mo1 only 2 were my main rest were for just logging to get to pvp quick or storage I want mo2 to succeed so even though I have misgivings about the 1 char I will still give mo2 my best and if worst comes to be i can have 4 accounts

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
Having 1 slot is one of the very few things i loved about darkfall and the things that brought with it. I think its gonna be cool in mo2 also. That is IF (and thats a big IF) they can make it so every character is viable to enjoy aspects of the game solo.. So yes, solo mage pve should be fixed etc etc etc etc

You were expected to basically do everything in DFO; and there was no skill cap, so one character is all you needed.

Game didn't even start yet and the title is asking if the change was a mistake...concern trolling much?

Game has been rolling for the last year, and now with the introduction of magic and soon mounts and all the build and role specifics associated with them , we can get a clear picture of what the "meta" will look like, and what that means when it comes to assuming a role in the game. I can't imagine someone would want to be regulated to a support role (mage) for the entirety of their mo2 career. Many people had foot fighters ready on the go, mages for y scenario, mounted for x scenario. Asking people to buy another box/sub is a BIG ASK in this current economy.

There's also the fact people might not know what they want to play, so asking them to delete and start again I'm sure will needless "irk" many. MO2 needs to be accessible if it's going to sustain a population, so putting more annoyances and road blocks in the way of the customer is definitely not a solution.

Reactions: Gulith

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Game didn't even start yet and the title is asking if the change was a mistake...concern trolling much?
That's some of the dumbest shit I've heard in a long time. When do you want people to analyze (potential) problems? After they are way deeper in them and they have already happened and solidified?
"Let's wait to see what damage that meteor will make until after it hits the earth."

let's be fair here starvault is not brain dead if having one char is a really big problem they can add more later let's all go into mo2 with open minds
No, they can't. Because all their systems are now based around that. You don't just willy-nilly change features around.

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
maxresdefault.jpg

Probably not =)

Reactions: agui

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020

Solo maging really should get fixed either way. If you pick up a cheap bow and arrows and go out to the graveyard, you can easily kill zombies. If you pick up a cheap sword and go out to the graveyard, you can easily kill zombies. If you pick up spurt and go out the graveyard... well that's really just a spell for self-casting, interrupts and baiting out magic reflects... you can't actually kill anything with it...

Nonsense. Spurt should be comparable in power to a newb sword or newb bow. It should make killing walkers as easy as either of those weapons. If it isn't meant to be such then give a different cheap level one spell that is.

Floky

Mar 2, 2021
merica
Solo maging really should get fixed either way. If you pick up a cheap bow and arrows and go out to the graveyard, you can easily kill zombies. If you pick up a cheap sword and go out to the graveyard, you can easily kill zombies. If you pick up spurt and go out the graveyard... well that's really just a spell for self-casting, interrupts and baiting out magic reflects... you can't actually kill anything with it...

Nonsense. Spurt should be comparable in power to a newb sword or newb bow. It should make killing walkers as easy as either of those weapons. If it isn't meant to be such then give a different cheap level one spell that is.
the trade-off is you can go out but naked and pvp magic is harder at the start than melee but it is easier later magic needs to balance cost-wise melee builds in mo1 you would die on foot fighter cost 80-150g mage died cost you 8g max if you want to treat your self

Reactions: Speznat

Shagga

Mar 13, 2021
I'm thinking if it might be feasible to have a system where you are able to change your specialization - e.g. you focused on certain crafting skills but would like to try something else?
Disable those skills (and free up the skill points) and try something else. You would not lose the achieved skill rank, but naturally there should be a long cooldown (several days) to change back so you couldnt change skills on a whim.