Was one character per account a mistake?

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
I kinda think it is, and I think there was a more sensible way of handling things like alts holding boulders (just make it so the boulders decay when the alt logs off), and alt swapping to a blue character from a red (just have a family name attached to an account and all characters on that account suffer the repercussion of having a criminal in the family; can make it some lore shit). MO/MO2 really shines when it comes to variety, but the 1 character model makes people make a near permanent and limited choice of how they want to play. People will pick a race for a specific role, but if they want to change to a different one the only real solution is to delete and start again (or respec using a race that might not necessarily be the best pick for that role). This is why so many people are gravitating to hybrids.

MO2 should ditch the 1 character model, and stick to some of the caveats suggested above instead. Having to pick a character you're going to be for basically the entirety of MO career (Yes I know you can respec, and yes I know you can delete and start again, but both options are kinda shit; especially when metas shift often in pvp games like this).

Last edited:

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I disagree. Having multiple characters just allowed way too many shenanigans. People with bad rep would be constantly re-rolling chars to hide behind new names. Could never tell who’s who.

now re-rolling will be a pretty big deal with having to skill up again and transfer all your bank stuff. People will think twice...and about cheating and exploiting too.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
In MO1 the accounts with multiple character had been nice for self-sufficient players. In the first years we had three character slots and after some years we got the fourth character slot. That was a bad idea by StarVault following the complaining players. The system ended not only with many players using more than one subscribed account but also using dozens of f2p accounts. Even small guilds or single players had no problems to get enough characters into their guild to be able to get a T4 or T5 guild stone, it just took some weeks of daily f2p account creation and enough email addresses.

The new system is great and increases player interaction and trade! Of cause some players will buy a second account sooner or later and create a character on a second PC. But this will not be abused as much as in MO1.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
boulder holders shouldnt have ever been a thing. make it so going over 200% of your carry weight forces items to drop out of your inventory at logout. players could carry what like 5 boulders max while logged out like this. sure you could still possibly get enough characters to ninja siege but it would take a lot of players to coordinate and not just a handful.

having multiple characters also allowed for experimentation with alternate builds and playstyles which will be lost with only one toon. changing from melee to caster (or vice versa) is a pretty drastic overhaul of stats/skills and if you find out you dont like the other playstyle (or maybe the people you play with changes due to reasons outside of anyone's control) then swapping back can be equally expensive

while i have my apprehensions about how the one-player-per-account rule will play out, i'm willing to let it ride for now and see how things progress. According to henrik there will be age changing potions and we already have height changing foods so the only thing you cant adjust will be your clade (which is still pretty major).

-barcode

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Well, I have been saying I'm for multiple characters, at least two for a long time. I like to play different kind of characters, that would include completely different clades in MO. There is also the general roleplay aspect with multiple characters. And with one character with more skills and additionally two separate pools everyone will be a hybrid one way or another. It may work well for people that want a combat character and a crafting character, it won't work so well for people that would like to focus on multiple different play styles of combat. For example a fully fledged mage and a fully fledged melee character.

There are better ways to avoid the problems that MO had, but they involve more work. In the end there are enough people that have too much money who don't care that they will have to buy multiple accounts for multiple characters and will still abuse the system the same way.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
A properly working auction house in a world inhabited by enough players makes players being self sufficient mostly moot.

So we just need that from Mo1 and enough players and the incentive to use the marketplace and a lot of people will rather buy from the marketplace than try to do it themselves. Unless they intend to do it for profit, or doing it because they want to. Instead of necessity.

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020
My biggest concern is it doesn't allow for players to play a dedicated crafter.

I get they were trying to open things up, but it severely watered it down in the process.

We went from needing to dedicate your character to crafting, to everyone gets free crafting points.

Now, even if you don't care to level a single fighting skill, your crafting ceiling is the same as someone who does.

I really hope they let players choose to lower one skill pool to add to another, or some way to differentiate a person who wants to be a dedicated crafter from someone who levels it because it's free.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
A properly working auction house in a world inhabited by enough players makes players being self sufficient mostly moot.

So we just need that from Mo1 and enough players and the incentive to use the marketplace and a lot of people will rather buy from the marketplace than try to do it themselves. Unless they intend to do it for profit, or doing it because they want to. Instead of necessity.
Self-sufficiency is a stupid goal anyway. While it's nice in real life, it's the opposite of what you need for a good economy and game. I like doing things on my own and I know I'm good at it, but I rely on other people to do the things I'm not into and I also enjoy the group dynamic aspect of that. It gives purpose to different people in a group or guild.

My biggest concern is it doesn't allow for players to play a dedicated crafter.

I get they were trying to open things up, but it severely watered it down in the process.

We went from needing to dedicate your character to crafting, to everyone gets free crafting points.

Now, even if you don't care to level a single fighting skill, your crafting ceiling is the same as someone who does.

I really hope they let players choose to lower one skill pool to add to another, or some way to differentiate a person who wants to be a dedicated crafter from someone who levels it because it's free.
Not to mention that people will tell you to skill the combat side of your character and git gud whether you want to or not.
The only thing that will help them is that the professions tree in general takes more of a time investment, which if enough people complain may also be subject to change.
I doubt they are going to do the last thing. The skill pools are imbalanced anyway, so a one-to-one exchange wouldn't work and anything else would again be unfair.

Paprotny

Jul 16, 2020
I think it's a bad idea at least at a glance and part of the reason is because if you're limited to one character per account it gets increasingly difficult to play different aspects of the game without having to pay for multiple copies of the game and multiple subscriptions.

For example if you'd like to have a character for PVP but also a character to provide some level of self sufficiency to be able to either get the mats to get someone else to craft you the gear or to have a crafter to craft the gear yourself. You can't really achieve this with one character I think.

A part of me kind of thinks this will backfire pretty hard at launch (assuming they don't change it last minute) and that starvault is going to do one of two things.

Either starvault will increase the amount of character slots at launch (and announce it shortly prior to launch)

OR

They won't change it at launch but I do think that they'll be slowly pushed into having multiple slots per account or losing a large part of their playerbase.

Those are my $0.02

Reactions: Gulith and Rorry

Floky

Mar 2, 2021
merica
I think That right now with the skill points on one char is about 2.5 characters in mo1 and I think ya it would be nice to have more than one char it would save me sub fees but lets all be honest the multi-character system was not perfect it had its issues and i am sure the one char system will have its issues but in the end I feel like the one char system only real negative is that ppl need to spend more than mo1 to have the same character spread but the one char system also gets rid of alot of the negatives that mo1 had with how characters were

Reactions: Piet and Speznat

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Having more than 1 character allowed people to log in wherever the action was. Having only 1 will result in very long travels to find that action (or an empty seeming world,) I think that it will cause people to drop the game from boredom and frustration, especially if the only action travelers end up finding is slaughter by overpowered mounted characters which pressure everyone to have to play a mounted class (we saw this at times in MO1.)

Thinking that griefing will be lessened by the 1 character limit is extremely naive.

Logging characters out with boulders was not even an issue anymore in MO1, it was much easier, more reliable, and more common to quickly build a house and fill it with boulders.

Expecting that gearing needs can ever be met consistently by an auction house is laughable. The variety of gear is too great in this game, we will never be able to find exactly what we want when we need it in each town. At best, it will force everyone into a conformity of equipment, i.e. you had better skill up the type of weapon that is most common so that you can always find them when you need them.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I think That right now with the skill points on one char is about 2.5 characters in mo1 and I think ya it would be nice to have more than one char it would save me sub fees but lets all be honest the multi-character system was not perfect it had its issues and i am sure the one char system will have its issues but in the end I feel like the one char system only real negative is that ppl need to spend more than mo1 to have the same character spread but the one char system also gets rid of alot of the negatives that mo1 had with how characters were
1 char in MO2 equals 2 chars in MO1, provided 1 of them was combat and 1 was a pure crafter.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Having more than 1 character allowed people to log in wherever the action was. Having only 1 will result in very long travels to find that action (or an empty seeming world,) I think that it will cause people to drop the game from boredom and frustration, especially if the only action travelers end up finding is slaughter by overpowered mounted characters which pressure everyone to have to play a mounted class (we saw this at times in MO1.)

Thinking that griefing will be lessened by the 1 character limit is extremely naive.

Logging characters out with boulders was not even an issue anymore in MO1, it was much easier, more reliable, and more common to quickly build a house and fill it with boulders.

Expecting that gearing needs can ever be met consistently by an auction house is laughable. The variety of gear is too great in this game, we will never be able to find exactly what we want when we need it in each town. At best, it will force everyone into a conformity of equipment, i.e. you had better skill up the type of weapon that is most common so that you can always find them when you need them.
Finding a fight won’t be any harder than it was. It will still mostly be outside the guard zone of whichever towns are most populated, popular farming spots or sieges. Reinforcements will be harder to get, and I’m ok with that. Works much more in favour of those fighting on home turf.

Not that naive. It’s just math. I greefer with 4 chars has a lot more tools/opportunity than with 1 character. When his char is red, or banned, hunted or just well known he can’t just hop onto his next char. Reputation will matter more.

Boulder holders were NOT like a house. It takes time to build a house, people can see it going up, and can go destroy it anytime. its a persistent ingame asset not an offline untouchable storage. You still have to transport from the house to the siege unless they let you build a house right under their keep. I am perfectly ok for house as Boulder holder mechanic. You can do things about that. Can’t do shit about Boulder holder chars and they can sit there for years. not to mention that you only need to log in 1 boulder holder char at a time risking at most 50 boulders, the rest completely safe until you need them.

solo players will have a harder time getting the right gear. This will make groups and guild that much more needed. Nothing wrong there.

Last edited:

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
this is wholly dependent on their implementation of the 'auction house'. theres a lot of improvements they could make including allowing blueprints for items to be placed in the AH that can then be fulfilled by crafters to provide the exact items people want. Also the limitations on number of items that can be listed was extremely restrictive in MO1. Given that the majority of updates to mo2 have been simple copy/paste of existing mo1 systems, I wouldnt exactly hold your breath on any improvements, but it *could* be made better for sure

-barcode

Floky

Mar 2, 2021
merica
Who had athletics on their crafters? and a Dom mage is a very limited example.
why does it have to be crafter u could be a tamer or some other crap there will probably be overlap with points from character build to build

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Finding a fight won’t be any harder than it was. It will still mostly be outside the guard zone of whichever towns are most populated, popular farming spots or sieges. Reinforcements will be harder to get, and I’m ok with that. Works much more in favour of those fighting on home turf.

Not that naive. It’s just math. I greefer with 4 chars has a lot more tools/opportunity than with 1 character. When his char is red, or banned, hunted or just well known he can’t just hop onto his next char. Reputation will matter more.

Boulder holders was NOT like a house.It takes time to build a house, people can see it going up, and can go destroy it anytime. You still have to transport from the house to the siege unless they let you build a house right under their keep. I am perfectly ok for house as Boulder holder mechanic. You can do things about that. Can’t do shit about Boulder holder chars and they can sit there for years.

solo players will have a harder time getting the right gear. This will make groups and guild that much more needed. Nothing wrong there.
Sure it will be harder to find a fight. In all those fights, one side had to travel to those guard zones and now that will be much harder, not only that, with having your crafter tied to your fighter most will need to be much more careful what fights they take.

I don't think most people bothered to fully build their grief characters, so plenty will just have an extra account or two and keep rerolling like before.

Boulder holders were not very much used after the new houses were introduced. A house could be built cheaply and filled in a couple of hours practically anywhere and you could do nothing but siege it, but that didn't let you have or destroy the boulders. Using boulder holders no longer made sense.

Solo players will have more trouble, and guilds will need to be even bigger than MO1 in order to have all the crafts covered (not a good thing, in my opinion.)

why does it have to be crafter u could be a tamer or some other crap there will probably be overlap with points from character build to build
Half of your character will have to be a crafter whether you like it or not, because half of the points can only be used for crafting, and taming is under the combat half of the skill tree.