Was one character per account a mistake?

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Let me just summarize:
You want to get into the PvP action as fast as possible. Given the choice to train by PvPing and sparring with other players, which would improve both player and character skills but you put down to macro-grind by your notions, you'd rather do PvE. Then say your choices were taken from you because you did it via PvE.

If a system can be macroed make it so it can't be macroed or at least not as easily and as much. That discussion has been had in other threads already.

Piet

May 28, 2020
A huge boon of MO is it doesn't matter how you level and it's quick and easy to do so. The whole point is the whole game is endgame content instead of a grind to get to endgame content.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Let me just summarize:
You want to get into the PvP action as fast as possible. Given the choice to train by PvPing and sparring with other players, which would improve both player and character skills but you put down to macro-grind by your notions, you'd rather do PvE. Then say your choices were taken from you because you did it via PvE.

If a system can be macroed make it so it can't be macroed or at least not as easily and as much. That discussion has been had in other threads already.

I'd rather not have progression at all unless it meaningfully improves gameplay somehow. If the sparring against players is an action I would have done anyway, I'll do it while grinding, and I'll continue to do it after it's no longer useful for grinding. But if it's a macroable action and it gives a stat reward, I will macro it in addition to any that gets done while I'm online.

Let me be very clear. When it comes to 100% PvP viability, I am 0% about the journey, and 100% about the finish line. There are systems I can sit back and enjoy the journey. Any system that directly effects my ability to fight other players isn't one of them.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Any serious sandbox MMORPG must have "one char per account" restriction.

I largely agree, but I would also generally state skillcaps are a bad system and races should be far less limiting in terms of the viable roles they allow for than they are in Mortal Online.

I think a lot of changes need to be made to how this game handles skills and races to make a 1 character per account system viable. There are reasons it worked for Darkfall and Wurm that don't translate well to MO/MO2.

Orrn

May 28, 2020
Personally I think it is a huge mistake, with how spread out the world is one character per account will probably be one of the biggest killers of the game. Hopefully they will make many more things secondaries than they have, because just about everyone is going to need stuff like basic resource gathering and basic taming or they wont be able to get around the world when their mount dies. Who is going to spend all their primaries to be an engineer when they wont be able to do anything else? And if you want to be a full crafter you will have to rely totally on other people for all your resources.

Also for in regards to pvp in mo1 most people would have a character logged out somewhat near the current pvp hotspot, now once you kick out or ally with whatever guilds live in your immediate area youll have to walk 2 hours to the next town over, which i really doubt people are going to do on a regular basis for 5 minute fights. And I hope you your group doesn't get spotted doing a dungeon a couple hours away from your keep, because then youll just be asking to get sieged.

They also have said that people will be able to just buy a second account. So it wont be that people wont have multiple characters, it will just be that only those who are able to pay to win will have them. One character slot doesnt fix multiboxing at all, it just makes buying a second account more necessary to be self sufficient.

I really hope that there will be many thousands of people playing at launch, but if there is not then the vast distances between towns will cause both trade and regular fights to die very quickly.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
And if you want to be a full crafter you will have to rely totally on other people for all your resources.

100% not true.

First of 70SKill is enough to make max dmg weapons for example.
Buthcery are now with one animal lore onyl 300 points.
Gathering stuff has more secondaries.

And they still can patch mroe points for crafting in wich would be nice.

But one char per account is a very good move because it gives the palyers consequences on there actions, and that never existed before and that was sad.
So now if someone greef new players his reputation is ruined and his guild reputation is ruined. and thats good. No alts that 24/7 making random shit stuff ingame.

nazgo

May 29, 2020
I really enjoyed playing a mage in MO1, but I would never ever make a mage my only character, its simply not going to work out. So, either I need two accounts and alternate a sub between them (month of warrior now, month of mage after that) or simply give up on my plans to have a mage

but then again, I do see why they forced us into 1 character. Having more slots allows players to spread around the map and allows players to "stack". Sure it sounds convenient, that you can have characters all around the map for easier pve and pvp, but at the same time it makes the world really small. A pve guild goes to minos, someone spots them and within minutes there are a bunch of pvp players attacking them, as everyone had a farming character logged out there. Someone attacks a keep and has way too many alts as boulderholders and the one defending the keep has "extra" lives as everyone has 5 characters inside the keep.

With just 1 slot per account, all those scenarios are much easier to balance.

but if they force us into 1 slot only, they need to make respeccing super easy. Race should not matter for builds and basic skills should be easy to level up. Otherwise it will ridiculous. Someone wants to try out magic, but they were a footfighter previously, so they are forced to delete the entire character and build a new from scratch. They dont like magic and want to go back to footfighing? Reroll again. Thats pretty solid textbook example of bad user experience

Also the pay-to-win problem, which has been pointed out, is real with just 1 character per account. A guild of 25 players with 3 accounts each will have a massive advantage in a war against a guild of 25 players with just 1 account per player.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I think to a large degree, like many other issues with MO1. The problem is cut and paste. Mortal Online isn't built to be a single character game. But MO2 apparently is going to be one. There SHOULD be changes in the races and skills to reflect that. Races being more multi-functional (instead of some having like 0 to 2 builds they are good at and others having like 7), characters having more a variety of things they can do without needing a full respec.

The issue and I think why some people are already asking "is this a mistake" is we've seen underwhelming progress on racial variety, and a complete lack of progress toward a skill system that supports a single account system.

I'm not opposed to a single account system if done well. But this cut and paste from MO1 better be a placeholder. Otherwise, I think we already know enough to say it was a mistake.

Reactions: Grasthard

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Variety compared to mo1 is much better. But it does need more work 100%

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Variety compared to mo1 is much better. But it does need more work 100%

Very much better. But still lacking variety for a lot of races. Alvarin seem like they can play a fast/squishy version of literally anything. Ohgmir seem to be able play a slow tanky foot version and a straight OP mounted version of everything but hybrid (too few points to be good hybrids IMO)

Kallards seem like they can play a good version off any physical build as long as it's a foot build or uses a strong mount, Tindremene can be psyfighter or hybrids. Sarduucans mages or hybrids. Sidoians mages or mounted hybrids. Khurites are literally bad at everything and only an antiquated overemphasis of on the value of dex is keeping people from seeing that (Plus it seems like a lot of people just forget total attribute points vary from race to race? So they don't even realize Khurites have nearly as few points as an Ohgmir). The remap options for these builds are slim to non-existent.

Thursar can play foot-fighter or heavy cav. Period. And every sub race except Kallard and Tindremene are more useless than Khurites (Thur/Sard anyone? Didn't think so)

Last edited:

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
You can actually do a non squishy alvarin build now as well, thanks to their OK con, good size, lower penalties from age clade and going stout/overweight. So they are even more flexible. probably the most flexible race in the game, for sure. Their only downfall is the low damage bonus due to hard limited 85?87? excluding stout str towards melee.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
40% gamers now Alvarin and 40% Human hybrids.... nice balance.

Don't worry. I think most people will be made to bow before their new Ohgmir overlords come mounted patch. Ohgmir aren't bad right now but their stats are broken good for mounted builds based on what we know so far.

Reactions: bbihah

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I'll likely have a dedicated crafting account so that we don't have to gimp our main fighters to do them.
Crafting is separate from all action skills and skill pool, if I remember correctly, and has its own separate crafting skill pool.

Which means both your tamer and fiancee's thief can both do crafting without gimping them at all.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Yes but taming and thieving are both misclassified as action skills when they give no combat benefits. This means taking our professions (because that is what they are, however they are classified or misclassified) on our mains gimps us IN COMBAT which is the place I'm least willing to gimp our main accounts. But I'm reasonably sure I can make a tamer/thief/butcher that is fully viable and even optimized for all of those roles without gimping either of our mains if I use a third account.

ShadowPete

Mar 18, 2021
One character per account is perfect. It gives personalities to each individual player. It makes the games economy more healthy because players will be forced to trade. It makes specific professions valuable, and also makes decisions important. One thing I hate so much about MMO's today is that decisions have no impact at all. Having one character per account means that most players will have weaknesses and needs that other players will need to exploit. That is very important when you have big guilds. In the first Mortal Online a single player could easily cover many roles in a guild, promoting players to have as many characters as they could. That should not be the case, a 50 man guild should be made of 50 different players, and not of 12 players with 4 characters each.

agui

May 31, 2020
1. I like that 1. 2. 3. 4. Thing
2. I understand henrik vision of one char in the world but this is kinda impossible when playing the game by the lack of points on one char. Solution is :
2.1. Give everyone enough points to put in mounted skill (be a MA / MC or fatmage etc.). The map is huge and ppl need to be able to at least fight mounted... or it will be mounted fest, slaughtering any foot around.
2.2. Or Give everyone a second char (which could be a mounted/farmer etc . .)
3. If i cutting wood ,mining or etc and get encumbered ... i would need a horse to bring it back the goods to the city or a house... depending of the situation if your horse dies you f***** .... old game could at least make u open a second client to help u out ... or drop loot and log another char to get it. What can you do now? You will always need someone to be by your side when u mining or cutting wood to help you out? Idk At least a second char is advisible.
4. At least make the flange maces , warhammers and poleswords look like mo1 ....

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
100% not true.

First of 70SKill is enough to make max dmg weapons for example.
Buthcery are now with one animal lore onyl 300 points.
Gathering stuff has more secondaries.

And they still can patch mroe points for crafting in wich would be nice.

But one char per account is a very good move because it gives the palyers consequences on there actions, and that never existed before and that was sad.
So now if someone greef new players his reputation is ruined and his guild reputation is ruined. and thats good. No alts that 24/7 making random shit stuff ingame.

When fighting happens between players, mo is a blast, Otherwise it's kind of a slog. What it seems like is they're trying to build barriers so the rampant killing doesn't happen as much as it did in mo 1. This is just a pay wall tho, since those who can afford it will have blue/red accounts.

I know people think getting forced to run two hours to a pvp hotspot is "hard core"; but it's more like busy work to tell you the truth.