Was one character per account a mistake?

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Then you could basically max out anything and change around every few days, which is stupid as well.

You can already lower skills and increase others, and your secondary skills will be unaffected except for the active limitation of their current parent values.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
So far im a fan of some of the positives like harsher if you ruin your reputation and have to reroll and change names often.

But I am strongly against what seems to be a downgrade from 4 characters per account to between 1 and 2 from what it seems like so far.
We should atleast get the same points in regards to professions that we had per account in MO imo.

Reactions: Gulith

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Well, there are multiple reasons for why they can't really emulate three to four characters condensed into one. First of is the fact that you are stuck to one clade, even if you'd like multiple for different playstyles. Secondly if they'd give us as many points as we'd get with more you could basically get almost everything especially if you don't care about Professions for example. Which gets me to the last point: The dichotomy of the separated skill pools, which means you can't distribute your points freely but you are basically stuck with putting "half and half" in Actions and Professions.

All of these reasons are why I don't really like it and this is disregarding things like roleplaying aspects of different character setups etc.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
YOu all forgot one very important factor. If you make a sword witth the skill 70 or 60 you will have the same dmg as with skill 100. Henrik claimed that once in older stream. If im not mistaken.

But you will have less dura and you can't name it. So Stop crying and start thinking, if you calculate your char right you can easy make
buthcer/armocrafter/weaponcrafter/extractor in one char.

SO please to all people. stop crying about something that henrik already have solution for.

anyway before I spray more salt.
Party hard ya all.

Reactions: Fox and SoftHater

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Nobody is crying. And you are pointing out what one specialized character of three to four could do versus one with multiple fields that isn't and their drawbacks, yet basically calling it even. :p

You can have hybrids now, yes, but you can't have as much specialization and freedom of playstyle anymore.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Nobody is crying. And you are pointing out what one specialized character of three to four could do versus one with multiple fields that isn't and their drawbacks, yet basically calling it even. :p

You can have hybrids now, yes, but you can't have as much specialization and freedom of playstyle anymore.
thats true.
But the real question is, was the old way the way it should be.
Or is henrik just doing the thing he always wanted in the first place.

I like the one char politics now people are actually somewhat repsonsible in there actions.
Before that everyone log in on his 20th char and killed random people and loged in the next char and craft armors for whole town. The old systme was kinda stupid.

but true more opportunity for one char would be awesome.

Reactions: SoftHater

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Well, Henrik himself is going to have multiple accounts to play different character setups. So it's questionable if one character per player is truly his vision or rather just a workaround for other things. :p

The fact that you can still get multiple character with multiple accounts kind of negates most arguments in this regard. It'll just cost you more real life moneyz.

SoftHater

Mar 16, 2021
Hot place full of hate.
A game starts to be good balanced when every player is unhappy with the balancement.
The 1 character limitation is doing great.
No more players with 1 full specialized warrior character and 3 gathering and production characters.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to try everything the game has to offer but it is even better having to rely on other players in an MMO, intead of just switching character.
Then we all know that there will be someone buying multiple accounts to satisfy all his needs, so what?
Money wall is better then no wall at all, PaytoWinners are going to PaytoWin always, you just give them 1 only character for each subscription instead of 4 now. :unsure:

Party Hard!

Reactions: Speznat

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
YOu all forgot one very important factor. If you make a sword witth the skill 70 or 60 you will have the same dmg as with skill 100. Henrik claimed that once in older stream. If im not mistaken.

Yes, this is planned but not working yet. I just tested bow crafting last weeks with 99 points and the bow loses values. But with the planned 70 points for max values I could add bow crafting to the professions with about 250 points: 4x 70 minus attribute bonus from int and dex. My character will have material lores anyway (botany for wood and animal materials for crepite). You see you can combine bow crafting with another profession.

The second difference to MO1 is the reduced number of primary skills in some areas, e.g. wood cutting and mining have been primary before. Don't underestimate the changes. And maybe we get more than 1100 primary points in the profession area.

Piet

May 28, 2020
a single character means a lot of good things.
1 The economy will flourish more if you can't be self sufficient.
2 More repercussions and meaning to your choices. You can't kill on one character then log over and hang out with the other. Murderers will be real bad asses now instead of only killing on their other character.
3 It will help with the many flaws of multiple characters like boulder holders, getting around bank space limits, logging in another character to fight in same battle you just died, etc
4 It will make people actually think about how they interact with others more so less trolling and killing on sight when you may be able to talk to them and save your reputation. This will mean more interesting interactions for everyone.

There is more as well those are just off the top of my head. Everyone keeps saying how they want to try lots of stuff and I get that but it's really easy to reskill so really it's not that big of an issue.

Reactions: Xunila

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
the trade-off is you can go out but naked and pvp magic is harder at the start than melee but it is easier later magic needs to balance cost-wise melee builds in mo1 you would die on foot fighter cost 80-150g mage died cost you 8g max if you want to treat your self

I'm fully in favor of balancing it cost-wise. Making robes very strong for mages if the right materials are used is a good thing from multiple perspectives.

Floky

Mar 2, 2021
merica
I'm fully in favor of balancing it cost-wise. Making robes very strong for mages if the right materials are used is a good thing from multiple perspectives.
I don't know man I find I would rather have sv focus on getting the game out in a playable state than try to worry about all these little things like let's get the game first

Reactions: Speznat and Xunila

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
a single character means a lot of good things.
1 The economy will flourish more if you can't be self sufficient.
2 More repercussions and meaning to your choices. You can't kill on one character then log over and hang out with the other. Murderers will be real bad asses now instead of only killing on their other character.
3 It will help with the many flaws of multiple characters like boulder holders, getting around bank space limits, logging in another character to fight in same battle you just died, etc
4 It will make people actually think about how they interact with others more so less trolling and killing on sight when you may be able to talk to them and save your reputation. This will mean more interesting interactions for everyone.

There is more as well those are just off the top of my head. Everyone keeps saying how they want to try lots of stuff and I get that but it's really easy to reskill so really it's not that big of an issue.
1. Many people keep saying this, but there's nothing to say that it's true. Having fewer crafters makes it seem unlikely to me. If the market system is the same as MO1's was and if making gold by farming is still faster/easier then, no the economy most certainly won't be better.
2. Those who want to will of course still do this.
3. Boulder holders were already a thing of the past. Storage was easily accomplished with house chests. At least more characters could =more fighting.
4. No, the same people will do the same things that they did before. It is naive to think that the reputation system is going to change that. If anything, murder counts that matter less will let people kill more. It seems it will be pretty easy to farm reputation.
Then we are back to the same point. Paying more, getting much less.

Reactions: Floky

Piet

May 28, 2020
1. Many people keep saying this, but there's nothing to say that it's true. Having fewer crafters makes it seem unlikely to me. If the market system is the same as MO1's was and if making gold by farming is still faster/easier then, no the economy most certainly won't be better.
2. Those who want to will of course still do this.
3. Boulder holders were already a thing of the past. Storage was easily accomplished with house chests. At least more characters could =more fighting.
4. No, the same people will do the same things that they did before. It is naive to think that the reputation system is going to change that. If anything, murder counts that matter less will let people kill more. It seems it will be pretty easy to farm reputation.
Then we are back to the same point. Paying more, getting much less.
1 except economics? and there are more crafters just not everyone can craft everything so they need to actually buy things. Everyone has a crafting skill pool and combat skill pool so people who didn't craft before may try their hand at it.
2 Ya but that can't be helped and it will still cut down on it.
3 more characters = more fighting is bad
4 I have talked to people who are doing the opposite especially since rep will restrict access to some places. At very least it will encourage more interaction which is good.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
1 except economics? and there are more crafters just not everyone can craft everything so they need to actually buy things. Everyone has a crafting skill pool and combat skill pool so people who didn't craft before may try their hand at it.
2 Ya but that can't be helped and it will still cut down on it.
3 more characters = more fighting is bad
4 I have talked to people who are doing the opposite especially since rep will restrict access to some places. At very least it will encourage more interaction which is good.
1. No, I, for instance, am paying the same for 3 crafters that I paid for 9 in MO, and I am sure that I am far from the only one. Plenty of people who didn't bother skilling a crafter in MO will not in MO2 either.
2. Cut down on it only to the extent that the population is cut. Less griefers, but also less characters to be griefed, and a more empty world.
3.I disagree, more fighting is better.
4.These people that you talked to would already not be the Big, Bad, Wolves that you fear. Also, rep seems very easy to farm and will no doubt get easier with the addition of other mobs to farm it with. More interaction is good, I suspect that you are not including fighting as interaction though (which I do.)

Piet

May 28, 2020
1. No, I, for instance, am paying the same for 3 crafters that I paid for 9 in MO, and I am sure that I am far from the only one. Plenty of people who didn't bother skilling a crafter in MO will not in MO2 either.
2. Cut down on it only to the extent that the population is cut. Less griefers, but also less characters to be griefed, and a more empty world.
3.I disagree, more fighting is better.
4.These people that you talked to would already not be the Big, Bad, Wolves that you fear. Also, rep seems very easy to farm and will no doubt get easier with the addition of other mobs to farm it with. More interaction is good, I suspect that you are not including fighting as interaction though (which I do.)
1 they can't stop that but it's getting around the design
2 I disagree
3 sounds like it basically comes down to agree to disagree on all 4 points and we will see how it actually turns out
4 I mean more interesting interactions like talking before fighting. Fighting cool but kos is kinda lame interaction. And no I am friends with almost all guilds from rpk to nwo. Some people will actually interact more because of this system although I am sure some will not.