PvE Server

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
At a certain point everyone needs to care about making money. "never profitable in 10 years" does that sound like a badge of honour? Would you want that on your epitaph? It's not wrong to want to make some money, it's not wrong to want people to see your product, the creation of a PvE server would bring in customers that the existing format wouldn't and market the game to fans of a different experience to the existing playerbase which will get more people talking about it - this will have a knock-on effect of increasing the PvP player base too as well as bring in revenue for development which will take the game further.

While the others are being a bit more aggressive towards you, they are not wrong. Henrik has said time and time again, this is HIS vision, not yours. Dont like it leave. He even told some troll last night in stream who asked "What if we dont like the way you're doing things" He said..... "Dont like it get controlling interest in the company and out vote me, good luck."

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
At a certain point everyone needs to care about making money. "never profitable in 10 years" does that sound like a badge of honour? Would you want that on your epitaph? It's not wrong to want to make some money, it's not wrong to want people to see your product, the creation of a PvE server would bring in customers that the existing format wouldn't and market the game to fans of a different experience to the existing playerbase which will get more people talking about it - this will have a knock-on effect of increasing the PvP player base too as well as bring in revenue for development which will take the game further.
You acting like the 50 people that would play the pve server for 2 months are going to hold SV's economy.
Could you even say the people that would play the pve server can pay the server's upkeep?
Then again like perro said, It's not about the money. They never cared about the minority and alt servers definitely go against the design of the game.

Take it im an artist and i made a paint (mortal) u go visit in a gallery (internet), you don't like the sky i painted (pvp) but you do like the ground (pve), you could use your hand to block the sky view of the paining because you don't like it but It's still gonna be there and will still be part of the paining as a whole.
It's intended you see and value the painting on its own and it ain't on your capacity to expect or demand the artist to cut and split the painting to remove the sky just because you don't like it. So you either buy the painting and do it yourself or promise the artist more people would like the painting without the sky and it would signify a higher public transit in the gallery.

Culinary

Mar 11, 2022
While he's completely wrong on the PVE server being needed. The game does need to lean in a PVE stable direction if it wants to survive. Gem cant and wont survive on PVP. Heck without the PVE the game's economy is non existent, which is what we are currently seeing now.

They need to start transitioning in the direction of eve and Albion with certain design elements of the game.

Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

Tzone

May 16, 2021
While he's completely wrong on the PVE server being needed. The game does need to lean in a PVE stable direction if it wants to survive. Gem cant and wont survive on PVP. Heck without the PVE the game's economy is non existent, which is what we are currently seeing now.

They need to start transitioning in the direction of eve and Albion with certain design elements of the game.
The game will 100% survive on PvP, many games do. The PvP is the games main content. But we also want PvE even now with the poor PvE its still a boon as a side thing for the game when you want to grind or take a PvP break. Also its the gameplay loop of getting gear for PvP.

PvE is passable but not good enought. They did a lot of impressive work on getting the AI to work decently as is on a open world MMO while responding to the player as it does. But its still very lack luster content that hopefully they make better instead of just increasing the quantity of.

Game would be a blast if it was darksouls ish PvE with the PvP we have now.

But the games main content is players vs players and it was doing fine back in beta through all the issues it had in beta.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
The game will 100% survive on PvP, many games do. The PvP is the games main content. But we also want PvE even now with the poor PvE its still a boon as a side thing for the game when you want to grind or take a PvP break. Also its the gameplay loop of getting gear for PvP.

PvE is passable but not good enought. They did a lot of impressive work on getting the AI to work decently as is on a open world MMO while responding to the player as it does. But its still very lack luster content that hopefully they make better instead of just increasing the quantity of.

Game would be a blast if it was darksouls ish PvE with the PvP we have now.

But the games main content is players vs players and it was doing fine back in beta through all the issues it had in beta.
AI is the lowest tier of AI i've seen in any recent game, its really bad. If AI would be like dark souls this game would have a superior PVE but it aint the case, then the whole gathering in this game is absolute trash really simpleton afk grind bullshit, just terrible design.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
AI is the lowest tier of AI i've seen in any recent game, its really bad. If AI would be like dark souls this game would have a superior PVE but it aint the case, then the whole gathering in this game is absolute trash really simpleton afk grind bullshit, just terrible design.
It is really simple with out depth and not really content. But getting AI to work like they did in a no instanced open world game is really impressive. SV made a AI system that is impressive as in it works, but they lack creativity to make it fun.

The sad thing is that they are making more simple depthless mobs to populate the world with instead of making the ones they already have decent content.

Culinary

Mar 11, 2022
The game will 100% survive on PvP, many games do. The PvP is the games main content.

I have never seen a single sanbox MMO survive off of PVP, infact it usually was its downfall, as the economy evaporated overnight as casuals left the game. The plethora of games i could list off would be long. On that list would be M01.Henrik himself stated he didn't want M02 to be just a PVP gank box like M01.

Eve and Albion devs were the first to understand just how monumentally important PVE elements were as the backbone for PVP based games.Not the other way around.

I think alot of people who don't understand this, is about to get a dose of realization once this new patch goes through, and everyone is on main, as alt 2 is being removed and alt 1 will just be backup.

The pop will be condensed, and every issue i have ever brought up regarding this issue is going to multiply times a thousand. I don't even see any of my farmer friends log in anymore, Cant wait to see what happens next though.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
It is really simple with out depth and not really content. But getting AI to work like they did in a no instanced open world game is really impressive. SV made a AI system that is impressive as in it works, but they lack creativity to make it fun.

The sad thing is that they are making more simple depthless mobs to populate the world with instead of making the ones they already have decent content.

Yeah sorry thats not impressive, AI in mortal is terrible. I won't deny developing an AI for a game has its merit because it does but lets not lie to eachother here and say AI is good because it ain't, its the most basic shit tier AI u gonna find in a contemporary game of the kind.
Animals stay still while missing hits and not even doing attack animation, humanoid npcs are really stupid, the best they could come with is the feint attacks from bandits, am i forgetting something here? AI is definitely underwhelming, attack animations on a bunch of creatures ain't alligned with the actual attack and animations are so clunky u can't even notice the direction of the attacks.

Reactions: Tzone

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

That's not right either tho. You're conflating. AHH forums, but check it.

The game needs to thrive on PLAYER INTERACTION. I legit had a dream about Mortal where I spawned into a town and ended up being in Fab w/ bugged guards and had to escape then I met this girl (girl avatar) that I was walking around and interacting with, she was doing things like... sitting at a table with other people, peeking thru a window at me, pretending to fall over... obviously some of this speaks to my own derangement LOL... but PvE is A RESOURCE in a sandbox. PvP is not the right word. It's P2P, the game needs to add player TO player content, not content v bots that requires more players. It needs to require players to interact as much as possible, and the more interactions they can do, the better. Legit RP content ( decorative/flavor crafting, sitting, eating at tables, having beds in houses as the only thing that would let you 10 sec log in them etc) would bring more than new mobs/new dungeons/new mats. That's just real.

You saw that Nave News vid? That shit was classic. That's the kind of content that needs to drive a sandbox. PvE will always be dogshit, tho dynamic spawns are cool. Just like people who want lawless zones, nah that's wack and contrived... unless the zone is EVERYWHERE OUTSIDE OF X DISTANCE from town.

So in SUMMARY, it doesn't need PvE, it needs simple ENVIRONMENT for the players to interact with and, more importantly IN, and more ways for them to do so. The game could survive without anything but rocks, pickables, and animals, if the pop was booming and there were the right tools. That's a visionary hot take, but it would. Please focus on building THE WORLD. Pvp v Pve is a false dichotomy imo. Make the world REAL. More dogshit mobs that drop diff things is not gonna change anything cept for a few days when people farm it for whatever new mat it gives.

Culinary

Mar 11, 2022
That's not right either tho. You're conflating. AHH forums, but check it.

The game needs to thrive on PLAYER INTERACTION. I legit had a dream about Mortal where I spawned into a town and ended up being in Fab w/ bugged guards and had to escape then I met this girl (girl avatar) that I was walking around and interacting with, she was doing things like... sitting at a table with other people, peeking thru a window at me, pretending to fall over... obviously some of this speaks to my own derangement LOL... but PvE is A RESOURCE in a sandbox. PvP is not the right word. It's P2P, the game needs to add player TO player content, not content v bots that requires more players. It needs to require players to interact as much as possible, and the more interactions they can do, the better. Legit RP content ( decorative/flavor crafting, sitting, eating at tables, having beds in houses as the only thing that would let you 10 sec log in them etc) would bring more than new mobs/new dungeons/new mats. That's just real.

You saw that Nave News vid? That shit was classic. That's the kind of content that needs to drive a sandbox. PvE will always be dogshit, tho dynamic spawns are cool. Just like people who want lawless zones, nah that's wack and contrived... unless the zone is EVERYWHERE OUTSIDE OF X DISTANCE from town.

So in SUMMARY, it doesn't need PvE, it needs simple ENVIRONMENT for the players to interact with and, more importantly IN, and more ways for them to do so. The game could survive without anything but rocks, pickables, and animals, if the pop was booming and there were the right tools. That's a visionary hot take, but it would. Please focus on building THE WORLD. Pvp v Pve is a false dichotomy imo. Make the world REAL. More dogshit mobs that drop diff things is not gonna change anything cept for a few days when people farm it for whatever new mat it gives.

That's part of PVE elements. PVE elements are not necessarily just resources. Its the interactions around PVE elements. Like board games, fishing etc....dungeons are not there to facilitate resources, for example, they are there to facilitate interaction.

its why i used the term PVE elements, and not gathering.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
That's part of PVE elements. PVE elements are not necessarily just resources. Its the interactions around PVE elements. Like board games, fishing etc....dungeons are not there to facilitate resources, for example, they are there to facilitate interaction.

its why i used the term PVE elements, and not gathering.
Yeah the AI in this game is like gathering right now. Some sense of joy out of it. Except sometimes you need to meet a numbers check and ride 1-2 hours with those numbers to do the gathering.

Joe McFly

Jan 26, 2022
Yeah a lot of the people know are really ego minded. Some RPers will imagine the PvPers are RPing murderes, some PvErs like you say imagine it apart of the PvE.

Its all about who has the right mental fortitude. Even PvPers need the right mental, they might freak out over some part of PvP that caused them to lose and got ego checked.

Peoples mentality is the number one factor if they can stand these types of games or not. Noobs with the appropriate mental do fine even if they are bad. Some will for ever have poor PvP performance but still keep on keeping on, other noobs will have a mentality to learn.
I can not / do not want to attack other players, because then I feel that I am doing wrong. I know, then it is actually not the right game for me. But unfortunately I have not found another MMo game that offers what MO2 offers. For example, taming animals and open world. So I would be happy if there would be a PvE server.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I can not / do not want to attack other players, because then I feel that I am doing wrong. I know, then it is actually not the right game for me. But unfortunately I have not found another MMo game that offers what MO2 offers. For example, taming animals and open world. So I would be happy if there would be a PvE server.

People w/ a conscience can play MO and succeed. I did it all MO1, and I feel even tho sometimes I attack people (more playful now tbh,) I still feel like I don't wanna rob someone outright just cuz I can. The only people who tell you not are people who are edgelords. However, you have to accept death. You don't have to die much if you play right... don't have to lose much. It can get annoying, but wanting to exist in a world and having a conscience is not wrong for MO. I still dunno if I agree that it's advantageous to play PKers either. I can't believe (at least without a big group) that I would be able to make the same level of consistent gains (when I put my mind to it) ganking people, even if I scouted them out and everything. It's just how people wanna play. Really just play the game, man. That's the best advice I can give you. Look at what it is, mitigate the losses, and play it... play it the way you want, the only way the sandbox wins is if it changes you fundamentally, that's why I said MO is like a really complex personality test. The strong people do not shift in their ideals, the weak people do what it takes to make it easier or to protect their ego.

It's def true that it's easiest to join a zerg pvp guild tho, but you can do that as a non combat. It's just whether you wanna get down w/ people like that. Personally, I'm fine just working at my own pace. I've not found much trouble doing what I want in MO1 or 2. Tho I do admit to alting in Mo2 once I was talked into it, haha, it's hard to pass up when the other world is camped and shitted by TC.

Was kinda excited for the 1 server thing this morning, but guess they ain't ready. I honestly dunno if they ever will be. heh.

PLAY THE GAME. HAVE FUN. If it's not fun, don't play at that moment, then muster up your energy and play it. It is what it is; what you think will be happening on PvE servers won't be happening because the whole game will be gone.

Reactions: Amadman

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.

I am with Emdash, the beauty of the game is that you can play it however you want.

You just have to accept that others are being given the same opportunity as well.

So just get out there and live in the world how you want to.

Then accept that you could run into all types in this unpredictable world.

And embrace it.

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020
This thread is an absolute cracker.

The irony of people telling others "if you dont like the game, go away" while simultaneously coming in to the thread to complain about it... sublime.

On topic; there was a game that did this. Asheron's Call. It had like 6 pve servers and 1 full loot pvp server.

All the carebears were on PvE server and all the PvP players were on one.

And thats the problem with adding a PvE server. All the neutral guilds and merchants and carebears will simply leave the pvp server.

Humans always take the path of least resistance, expecting that the PvP server would retain the carebears is unrealistic.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I am with Emdash, the beauty of the game is that you can play it however you want.

You just have to accept that others are being given the same opportunity as well.

So just get out there and live in the world how you want to.

Then accept that you could run into all types in this unpredictable world.

And embrace it.

YES. It's not wrong. It's like something you should sit down and just say to yourself. It's not wrong. I'm not setting myself up to be a perpetual victim. I'm not handicapping myself. I am playing how I want to play and this game gives the best opportunity for that, better than anything, I think! There's a reason we are here given all the bumps in the road.

As I said I enjoy pvp and the sport of it. I really like fair competition, which is hard to find in mmos, so I don't expect it here, but it's beautiful and I love a good chance to compete in anyway and grow closer w/ my competitor, but you don't have to compete if you don't want to. The game will get better in the next year, I really believe. If it's pulling you at all, there's no reason to ask for PvE server, just play PvE. People will protect you. I know I would if I was there. Just keep doing what you do. I remember that guy Gynu or whatever from MO1, dude was on the zombie list. He killed like 10,000 zombies or something LOL. Prol more! I mean, nobody can ever take that away from him. That was what he wanted to do. (Looked it up, 10k bandits and 26k zombies!!)

What MO is offering you is a world, fuck anyone else's vision or their desire to impose upon you. Sure, you gotta push against it, but that's the beauty of it. The secret is we're all mostly the same. Nobody is more or less hardcore based on how they play MO. There are some strong minded people here, but it doesn't always line up with the amount of PKs they do. Take the game for what it is, and carve your niche. Become a legend in your own right, or just sink into a living, breathing world - MO Trailer plays! -

OK that's it haha. But for real. People need to say these things cuz if you wanna stay then stay yaknow. It will all work out!

Reactions: Amadman

Gilithos

Feb 4, 2022
I've come to realize that a PvE server is this games catch 22, its double edged sword if you will. If they add a PvE server, the griefers and PKers will leave and if they don't add a PvE server, the people who prefer to craft and do PvE things will leave(I think most of them already have). Starvault really just can't win here. Which is, sadly why the game will probably never be popular.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I've come to realize that a PvE server is this games catch 22, its double edged sword if you will. If they add a PvE server, the griefers and PKers will leave and if they don't add a PvE server, the people who prefer to craft and do PvE things will leave(I think most of them already have). Starvault really just can't win here. Which is, sadly why the game will probably never be popular.
Or they have PvP and PvE and everyone who is an adult will be happy. The people crying about a PvE only server just dont know how boring the game is with out PvP and have weak mental fortitude.