Join the PvP/Reputation Protest. Help us to succeed and end the bloodshed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toerin

Dec 19, 2021
I love how every opinion has an assumption tied into the end.

The system isn't going to deter someone from griefing or killing noobs, it's effecting anyone and everyone whether they want to PvP or not.

The reputation system is very shallow, and clearly it was put in as a set of 'bones' with no meat on them. Forcing players to deliver packages for reputation to PvP and utilize a town is absurd.
Why, as a pvp player with the ability to loot those you kill, do you need to utilize a town?

Toerin

Dec 19, 2021
Why are you saying that as if it's a good thing?

A carebear is someone who vouches, defends, and approves of mechanics and systems that make the game safer.
Safer for whom? Are you not still able to PvP in this game? Can you still kill PvE players as of right now? All the game is doing to PvP is making it harder for unlawful players to access lawful towns, which they wouldn’t need access to anyway. Everything they would buy and craft in town can be taken from PvE players you kill and loot.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
You have to pay for any game. You think devs work for free? With gamers like you it’s no wonder programmers can’t get a union going lol. You have such an entitled Karen point of view.

I tried / played New World entirely free. I had access to the alpha & beta. So, yeah. I think some developers to an extent in specific situations do work for free. Imagine calling me a Karen when you're vouching for a safer system that doesn't even work LOL.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Why, as a pvp player with the ability to loot those you kill, do you need to utilize a town?

There's something called durability on gear. See, when you use your gear often and don't lose it you end up having gear which degrades over time. Your armor and weapons can break, the items you use such as arrows, bandages, and potions dry up.

Sure you'll argue "WELL JUST LOOT IT FROM SOMEONE ELSE!" but you fail to realize there is no systems in place to sustain gameplay outside of town in-case of death.

What happens if a PK'er dies? Oh, just fuck him right? He DESERVES IT. This is a stupid and flawed view point some people take on.

Here are some things players are missing..

• A way to craft outside of town.
  • A way to store things. (Sure, a player home provides a single chest but any player will tell you a single chest is not enough.)
  • A way to purchase specific items (Reagents, books, materials, etc.)
  • A way to process & refine materials.

These are four big ones, and if you're not currently living in a red town (aka a lawless town, which even those don't have everything needed) you currently can not sustain a life outside of town.

I also think you're getting to caught up in trying to white knight an idea that has suffered from a terrible execution.

Let me re-iterate for you what a lot of people are saying:

The system it-self, in plan, is not a bad one. It's the actual settings within it.

Why is it to build reputation you can only, and I mean ONLY deliver things? How does that make sense? Why can't we turn in heads from hostile mobs such as bandits or risars, or even turn in the valuables they drop such as risar rings (and perhaps bandits could drop fingers or something alike). Why is there not material orders such as "Turn in X amount of Y material for Z amount of reputation, gold, etc." There is an obscene lack of depth to the system which makes much of the gameplay around it extremely narrow and boring.

The second problem to it is the fact that caps are extremely low for most races, even for humans. The max reputation cap for humans currently is 100, with one of the lowest rep caps being for Thursars which is 10. I think these caps should be raised flat for all raises, even if lore says thursars are hated; 10 reputation cap is awful. That is 10 player kills, mounts, or pets.

The third problem is this system needs to have an NPC INSIDE of the city, and a NPC OUTSIDE of the city. You shouldn't be permanently banned from a city, it's stupid for simple reasons such as it's a video game. Players should be allow to fix their reputations rather then just suffer being barred indefinitely.

Those would be my big three fixes, then I'd say the system is fine.

It still suffers from the flaw that all types of players can abuse or suffer from the system, such as how @Evelyn pointed out their guild suffered rep loss due to a guild prompting an attack on them twice. Smart players do not stand and let you hit them to win a fight.

Reactions: SilentPony

Toerin

Dec 19, 2021
I tried / played New World entirely free. I had access to the alpha & beta. So, yeah. I think some developers to an extent in specific situations do work for free. Imagine calling me a Karen when you're vouching for a safer system that doesn't even work LOL.
Again I am not in favor of a safer system just a realistic one. But I can see you’re too emotional to listen to any other point aside from your own. The only thing I am advocating for is a way to make PvP fun for the people who like to PvP. But you may not be a person that likes having challenges in their games. Idk to each there own i guess

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Again I am not in favor of a safer system just a realistic one. But I can see you’re too emotional to listen to any other point aside from your own. The only thing I am advocating for is a way to make PvP fun for the people who like to PvP. But you may not be a person that likes having challenges in their games. Idk to each there own i guess

Read the top post and stop being stupid, thanks.

If you want a challenge you can hit me up in-game for a 1v1 and we'll see how it goes.

Toerin

Dec 19, 2021
There's something called durability on gear. See, when you use your gear often and don't lose it you end up having gear which degrades over time. Your armor and weapons can break, the items you use such as arrows, bandages, and potions dry up.

Sure you'll argue "WELL JUST LOOT IT FROM SOMEONE ELSE!" but you fail to realize there is no systems in place to sustain gameplay outside of town in-case of death.

What happens if a PK'er dies? Oh, just fuck him right? He DESERVES IT. This is a stupid and flawed view point some people take on.

• A way to store things. (Sure, a player home provides a single chest but any player will tell you a single chest is not enough.)

These are four big ones, and if you're not currently living in a red town (aka a lawless town, which even those don't have everything needed) you currently can not sustain a life outside of town.

I also think you're getting to caught up in trying to white knight an idea that has suffered from a terrible execution.

The system it-self, in plan, is not a bad one. It's the actual settings within it.

Why is it to build reputation you can only, and I mean ONLY deliver things? How does that make sense? Why can't we turn in heads from hostile mobs such as bandits or risars, or even turn in the valuables they drop such as risar rings (and perhaps bandits could drop fingers or something alike). Why is there not material orders such as "Turn in X amount of Y material for Z amount of reputation, gold, etc." There is an obscene lack of depth to the system which makes much of the gameplay around it extremely narrow and boring.

The second problem to it is the fact that caps are extremely low for most races, even for humans. The max reputation cap for humans currently is 100, with one of the lowest rep caps being for Thursars which is 10. I think these caps should be raised flat for all raises, even if lore says thursars are hated; 10 reputation cap is awful. That is 10 player kills, mounts, or pets.

The third problem is this system needs to have an NPC INSIDE of the city, and a NPC OUTSIDE of the city. You shouldn't be permanently banned from a city, it's stupid for simple reasons such as it's a video game. Players should be allow to fix their reputations rather then just suffer being barred indefinitely.

It still suffers from the flaw that all types of players can abuse or suffer from the system, such as how @Evelyn pointed out their guild suffered rep loss due to a guild prompting an attack on them twice. Smart players do not stand and let you hit them to win a fight.
1. You must not trade with other players then? Cause It is possible to get equipped with at least a weapon to then attack travelers on the road. That is if you aren’t afraid of fighting some player with better gear than you. But shouldn’t you be with all that PvP practice?

2.how does unlawful players only being able to live in unlawful towns not make sense to you. It’s not a punishment it’s a consequence. They aren’t the same thing.

3. Have you ever set up a bank account before irl? Banks usually do not open accounts with people who have a warrant out for their arrest lol. But let’s say we put that point aside and focus on how hypocritical what you are asking for is. You want a place to save your items so that when you die you don’t loose all your stuff when you are the ones initiating the fight to begin with as a PvP player?

4. I understand some PvP players are only fighting between warring guilds. But if the factions you are members of have outlawed the act of killing or assaulting other citizens (players), then how would that not logically make you unlawful. The game mechanics can’t distinguish between guilds fighting other guilds, and people who happen to be in a guild fighting a random person who happens to be in another guild. Even if they had the programming done to distinguish between the two why would they? How would that make sense in game where you play as a CITIZEN of myrland, one who’s laws are dictated by the npc run factions.

Toerin

Dec 19, 2021
Read the top post and stop being stupid, thanks.

If you want a challenge you can hit me up in-game for a 1v1 and we'll see how it goes.
I did read it. Did you? “ join the protest to stop the bloodshed” lol the blood shed you are inflicting in order to kill a game for everyone because you can’t handle something not going exactly how you want it. It’s childish, wins no one over, and has the reverse effect you want it to have on the devs as their main focus will be to get more new players for subscription fees after its full release. You know like an actual company lol. They’ll most likely crack down on the griefing you guys are doing before it goes into release. Because either way you guys will be picking off new players making it harder for them to keep their subscription revenues up. And again this isn’t you’re game it’s theirs. Their goal is to make money IRL. Lol

That’s be breaking character

Reactions: Moored

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
I did read it. Did you? “ join the protest to stop the bloodshed” lol the blood shed you are inflicting in order to kill a game for everyone because you can’t handle something not going exactly how you want it. It’s childish, wins no one over, and has the reverse effect you want it to have on the devs as their main focus will be to get more new players for subscription fees after its full release. You know like an actual company lol. They’ll most likely crack down on the griefing you guys are doing before it goes into release. Because either way you guys will be picking off new players making it harder for them to keep their subscription revenues up. And again this isn’t you’re game it’s theirs. Their goal is to make money IRL. Lol

That’s be breaking character

Easy ignore for an easy troll.

• Haha
Reactions: Najwalaylah

forcem

Apr 30, 2021
The reputation system, as many other things, is not complete.There are only 2 ways of farming rep and one it's broke. The laking of tables on houses doesnt help either.

You lose reputation when killing someone, but you also should gain reputation when killing enemies of the faction. And the factions should consider a whole guild as enemy based on the standing of the members. Even so, it should go to the point that some tasks would be bring the head of enemies of the faction. If we are going to stay with one char this kind of stuff should be in.

• Love
Reactions: BashWetliar

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

I don’t think the system of farm 50 risars to get 20 murder counts really made sense logically.

I would like to see a reputation system more directly related to your interaction with other players not npcs.

I agree with you on the deficiencies and terrible execution piece. But do you think the rep system was doing what’s it’s supposed to do when it was farm risars. If we define supposed to do asflagging rpkers as rpkers

SilentPony

Nov 27, 2021
I don’t think the system of farm 50 risars to get 20 murder counts really made sense logically.

I would like to see a reputation system more directly related to your interaction with other players not npcs.

I agree with you on the deficiencies and terrible execution piece. But do you think the rep system was doing what’s it’s supposed to do when it was farm risars. If we define supposed to do asflagging rpkers as rpkers
I agree, tying pvp mechanics to npc farming in any way is a bad idea. It in no way encourages anything positive. The standing system is bad with either risars or parcel running.

Maxiumus

Sep 14, 2021
There should be some middle ground. As it is right now for example, my guild which is not an RPK guild regularly fights to try to protect new players and pve'ers inn the gy and within our locale. We combat the known RPK guilds that prey on these folks. Problem is, if we go into a fight and kill a blue member of an RPK guild knowing full well they will be killing new players or folks farming at some point, we then get murdercounted and lose rep. How does this make sense?

We have attempted wardecs and the guilds just dont accept them so thats not an option.

They will purposely wait until a blue player is low before going grey and will maintain blue players in their groups so all out fighting against these guys will lead to rep loss.

Its not just the rpk guilds being affected, its normal guilds that try to defend their towns and new players in graveyards etc.

If you live in the town full time you really shouldnt get rep loss from defending it. Its ridiculous.

If they want to keep the current system in a way they should at least make it so outside of a certain bubble around town you cant give murdercounts. Or allow forceable wardecs so guilds can defend their homes and new players without being unable to return without rerolling.

killah2227

Dec 20, 2021
I only recently joined this game 2 days ago as of writing this. Before joining I read reviews, looked up info about MO1, did all the various research most players are not going to do before trying this game. I came across this forum thread and was shocked a community was literally and actively killing off its own player base by repeatedly ganking new players at an area for them.

Why do you think MO1 never got a lot of players? Why are you so obsessed with this game ONLY being a PvP game and not having some system to attract more then a single playerbase. Which by the way the hardcore PvP base is a niche group inside the niche group of MMO inside the niche group of RPG inside the niche group of PC gaming inside the group of Video Game. How do you really expect the devs to make a successful game appealing to such a small group?

I almost didn't buy this game because it sounded like the community wants only 1 thing. To grief new players instead of actually PvP. Griefing is defined as to do something in a game with the sole intent of causing the other player to have a bad time. Why do you want new players to hate this game?

I have to admit after buying it and finding a guild I have been enjoying the game thoroughly but that is mostly because I started after the Rep changes and haven't been camped at the priest right after stepping out of Haven. I hope this game does well as it has a good chance to attract a much larger player base than the first game provided the community doesn't try to scare them off. Else, I suppose you all will enjoy fighting all the "hardcore PvP players" if you can find them in a world thats so huge an only has 300 players in it.

SilentPony

Nov 27, 2021
I only recently joined this game 2 days ago as of writing this. Before joining I read reviews, looked up info about MO1, did all the various research most players are not going to do before trying this game. I came across this forum thread and was shocked a community was literally and actively killing off its own player base by repeatedly ganking new players at an area for them.

Why do you think MO1 never got a lot of players? Why are you so obsessed with this game ONLY being a PvP game and not having some system to attract more then a single playerbase. Which by the way the hardcore PvP base is a niche group inside the niche group of MMO inside the niche group of RPG inside the niche group of PC gaming inside the group of Video Game. How do you really expect the devs to make a successful game appealing to such a small group?

I almost didn't buy this game because it sounded like the community wants only 1 thing. To grief new players instead of actually PvP. Griefing is defined as to do something in a game with the sole intent of causing the other player to have a bad time. Why do you want new players to hate this game?

I have to admit after buying it and finding a guild I have been enjoying the game thoroughly but that is mostly because I started after the Rep changes and haven't been camped at the priest right after stepping out of Haven. I hope this game does well as it has a good chance to attract a much larger player base than the first game provided the community doesn't try to scare them off. Else, I suppose you all will enjoy fighting all the "hardcore PvP players" if you can find them in a world thats so huge an only has 300 players in it.

Camping a town priest is not feasible, as far as I am aware, and never was since guards will kill everyone attempting to. As to the attacking players in the graveyards, well, my first PvP experience was from someone trying to kill me in a graveyard. He even succeeding and walked away in my armor from it. Was fun, glad it happened. Since then I went to graveyard about a couple of times and even then mostly to see if they are worth my time as a PvE activity. They are not, especially if there is someone else there farming. Can just go gather resources, craft stuff, sell whatever you don't need and go do your thing. Faster and more profitable. Been doing that every time I needed extra money or equipment. Never experienced trouble with being prevented from doing it by gankers or whoever. It is easy to get resources and not die. What are all the people crying about? Why do they want to sit in the boring useless graveyard? Why do you think the graveyard is specifically for new players? Haven is for new players, not graveyards.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021

Yeah I get that and I don't disagree, but I also find it gives PvP players a decent game play loop of having things such as head turn ins, material turn ins, etc.

I'm not saying it should be the only thing / way, I believe it should be expanded upon more.

At least with the old rep system it allowed people to be more active in the world because they didn't have to worry about being locked out of town upon X kills.

I'm trying to think of a more player-to-player interaction for reputation and the only thing that really comes up is a bounty system where killing other red players (or criminals, so at the time if they die when grey their head is considered a 'criminals head') to which you kill them or turn their heads in at a certain city for standing.

Maybe fulfilling buy orders on the auction house within that region would raise your reputation, and it would be calculated by the vendor value of the item as not to let it be abused by marking an item up by 100g then fulfilling it.

I personally don't think PvP being linked to PvE is a bad thing though.

Reactions: Teknique

killah2227

Dec 20, 2021
Camping a town priest is not feasible, as far as I am aware, and never was since guards will kill everyone attempting to. As to the attacking players in the graveyards, well, my first PvP experience was from someone trying to kill me in a graveyard. He even succeeding and walked away in my armor from it. Was fun, glad it happened. Since then I went to graveyard about a couple of times and even then mostly to see if they are worth my time as a PvE activity. They are not, especially if there is someone else there farming. Can just go gather resources, craft stuff, sell whatever you don't need and go do your thing. Faster and more profitable. Been doing that every time I needed extra money or equipment. Never experienced trouble with being prevented from doing it by gankers or whoever. It is easy to get resources and not die. What are all the people crying about? Why do they want to sit in the boring useless graveyard? Why do you think the graveyard is specifically for new players? Haven is for new players, not graveyards.

Well my mistake I didn't know everything is fine and dandy until you explained that you enjoy everything about the game and it is fine. You should go tell all the people who quit playing the game and posted negative steam reviews they are wrong and its fine. I am sure they will come back.

I read an interview with the lead developer Henrik https://wccftech.com/mortal-online-2-qa-still-hardcore-but-much-more-accessible-beautiful-and-large/

"
What are you planning to do in order to make Mortal Online 2's gameplay more accessible to new players?

We learnt a ton from MO1 during the years of developing that game and getting new players on a daily basis. We have gone through a lot of data and feedback to see how we can change this important field for MO2. There is a big difference in being a hardcore game gameplay wise or how information is presented. We know we need to improve the first hours any new player experiences in the game as this is vital to get them on track for them to understand there is a lot of depth in this game and there is player content for many years since it's heavily player-driven. Another important area was the lack of proper PvE. This is one of the core pillars in MO next to player interaction which means we need a very solid AI to handle our gaming NPCs, pets, mobs, etc."

It seems like the focus of the game is on new player experience and having PvE to attract the far larger PvE MMO or "carebear" crowd. I imagine the additional consequence for RPK added to the game is to do just that and prevent scaring off the players that are not as hardcore as you all.

Like it or not if you guys want to have players in this game to PvP you will have to make some concessions, help out a noob maybe? Be friendly to people who are obviously new players to get them into the game before killing them? Develop a non-toxic community where you don't insult people over the forums? I don't really know but most PvP games are not killed off because PvP games aren't fun they are killed off by PvPers making the game not fun.

Reactions: Falcar

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021

The game actually failed due to inconsistent patches, server stability, lack of balance, bugs, and rogue cheaters / exploiters that would crop up in peoples playing.

You're dead wrong on the idea that veterans or players in general play to grief to kill the game. Just because a random thread pops up about someone saying people should do it, doesn't accurately represent everyone else.

I find it's people who assume other players stances are actually ones harmful to the growth, because you make out others to be something they are not.

You want to play as an honest player who doesn't kill? Cool. Let me play as a bandit. It's a sandbox, and with the many choices we can make there are a lot of ways to counter someone like me that doesn't involve a shoe horned rep system.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021

Honestly I don't think it'll matter if old MO1 players re-tell how they were griefed and how it made them stick around. Clearly those like us are cut from a different cloth, and there's nothing wrong with being so or not being so.

I get it. The world is harsh and cruel, it was made to be grim in the first game and sure enough the atmosphere was reflected by the playerbase. That's why I liked it.

World of Warcraft used to be about war between the factions but now it's some kumbaya horseshit with a lot of real-life perspectives shoved into the game to force ideologies down peoples throats. Mortal Online 1 didn't do that. People got to act as their true selves.

At the end of the day the end-game of Mortal has always been in my eyes the interaction between players and the politics that follow, which typically meant PvP was one of the most important mechanics in the game. You can only PvE so much before you do everything, and have unlimited materials. Seriously, think about it; if the game becomes so safe to the point people can harvest tons of materials and never worry about losing anything anymore where does the risk come into play?

People say it'll never happen, but it happened in MO1 with how the developers handled problems. Players could build walls and simply cut content off from the rest of the playerbase and just hold it tight with a massive zerg sticking their tongue out saying "siege us!!" when sieging was 10 times harder to do offensively then defensively as well as making it a tedious, boring thing to do.

I could go on and on but yeah, people do complain about graveyard griefers when graveyards are all too well known by vets to be a breeding grounds for hardening players. Even with all the hand holding Haven does, it still doesn't prepare players for PvP loss.

• Love
Reactions: PoisonArrows

killah2227

Dec 20, 2021
The game actually failed due to inconsistent patches, server stability, lack of balance, bugs, and rogue cheaters / exploiters that would crop up in peoples playing.

You're dead wrong on the idea that veterans or players in general play to grief to kill the game. Just because a random thread pops up about someone saying people should do it, doesn't accurately represent everyone else.

I find it's people who assume other players stances are actually ones harmful to the growth, because you make out others to be something they are not.

You want to play as an honest player who doesn't kill? Cool. Let me play as a bandit. It's a sandbox, and with the many choices we can make there are a lot of ways to counter someone like me that doesn't involve a shoe horned rep system.

Whether I am correct or not really doesn't matter. Like I said i'm a new player and I didn't really realize how the game was until I tried it. It wasn't as bad as you would think from a cursory googling. My point is, over 40K players signed up for this beta and if you take a look at steam charts about 500 concurrent play. Hardcore PvP only games is a very small niche of the gaming community and very few PvP MMOS get a decent player base because of it without also including a lot of non PvP orientated content to appeal to a much larger player base. I assume this reputation system is taking a little from column A the PvPers and giving to column B the PvE crowd to develope a more diverse and wider player base. I don't think thats a huge sacrifice for the PvP community.

Status
Not open for further replies.