Add Moment of Vulnerability after Parry

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
if we all had the same connection, same ping, same rigs, same everything then yes, you could make parrying a lot harder to do( smaller time window/smaller cone/more timing dependent). that would raise the skill level required to take no damage. This would favour an aggressive play style, and turtling would be only for the super skilled.

however, since its practicly impossible withthe 1 server thing, you have to do the best you can taking in consideration that there will probably be 100+ ping difference on average between combatants, and the biggest problem with high ping disparity is blocking, not hitting. Its not skill if somebody hits you before you can even see him move. Its bull shit.

Now, your argument is that they favoured defensive play style over offensive style. But i disagree, they tried to fix the problem, which was having enough time to even see an attack. Hitting wasn't a big problem.

my argument is that is better to have the problem that is easy to parry, than not being able to at all.

Or I present a third angle which is the fact we're forced into a single server region which then compromises MANY mechanics including the combat of the game.

Star Vault shouldn't try to 'make the best' of a single server, they should just give us server regions and stop crossing their arms like a kid upset refusing to apologize for the bad idea of a single server.

The game would be MORE SUCCESSFUL if the actual MECHANICS weren't BALANCED around HIGH PING PLAYERS.

I'm not even suggesting multiple regional servers. I'm saying two-- PERHAPS THREE, at most. EU players have been favored twice now having it close to where they are, whilst the rest of the world has basically been shit on because of it.

All we ever hear though is Henrik toying with the idea of making different continents have different server regions geographically.

"yeah yeah might give sarducca to NA" ... Just fuck off with that shit.

NA deserves a server. EU deserves a server. A potential third I would say is Oceanic players. Then just let people play on whatever server they choose, and allow them to switch at will. Then people can play with their friends, and it can even function like how Rust does where there are different servers which will have different environments.

But then you have the soft headed players who literally cry that "that isnt mo though!" It's not MO anymore anyway the way its designed.

Stop compromising and settling for worse gameplay because you want to allow people with absurdly high ping to all play in one place. It's stupid. Really, really stupid.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
NA deserves a server.

You are preaching to the choir here. Ive been asking for a NA server since 2010. However, ive long given up trying to show Henrik ( or the EU fan boys) the light of day. Some very hard heads all around there.

trying to explain how essential low ping is for this game to be a blast. How fun translates into more players. But always getting the “no, you would splinter the existing playerbase” argument… 😵‍💫

dimond level hard headedness…

this also would require its own thread btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Or I present a third angle which is the fact we're forced into a single server region which then compromises MANY mechanics including the combat of the game.

Star Vault shouldn't try to 'make the best' of a single server, they should just give us server regions and stop crossing their arms like a kid upset refusing to apologize for the bad idea of a single server.

The game would be MORE SUCCESSFUL if the actual MECHANICS weren't BALANCED around HIGH PING PLAYERS.

I'm not even suggesting multiple regional servers. I'm saying two-- PERHAPS THREE, at most. EU players have been favored twice now having it close to where they are, whilst the rest of the world has basically been shit on because of it.

All we ever hear though is Henrik toying with the idea of making different continents have different server regions geographically.

"yeah yeah might give sarducca to NA" ... Just fuck off with that shit.

NA deserves a server. EU deserves a server. A potential third I would say is Oceanic players. Then just let people play on whatever server they choose, and allow them to switch at will. Then people can play with their friends, and it can even function like how Rust does where there are different servers which will have different environments.

But then you have the soft headed players who literally cry that "that isnt mo though!" It's not MO anymore anyway the way its designed.

Stop compromising and settling for worse gameplay because you want to allow people with absurdly high ping to all play in one place. It's stupid. Really, really stupid.
Remember when risars were kinda hard?

high ping nubs cried about that too

with the dumbing down of the game I don’t see why it’s fundamentally any different than playing a theme park. You’re definitely not getting that high skill experienced that was promised.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
You are preaching to the choir here. Ive been asking for a NA server since 2010. However, ive long given up trying to show Henrik ( or the EU fan boys) the light of day. Some very hard heads all around there.

trying to explain how essential low ping is for this game to be a blast. How fun translates into more players. But always getting the “no, you would splinter the existing playerbase” argument… 😵‍💫

dimond level hard headedness…

this also would require its own thread btw.
They dont realize the playerbase would actually grow if everyone could play with low ping...

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
They dont realize the playerbase would actually grow if everyone could play with low ping...
When actual game mechanics suffer like pve that I showed above. Then it’s time to abandon the 1 server model. I’m cool with 1 server until I have to contend with what the 7 people from Australia who play this game want for every mechanic

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
When actual game mechanics suffer like pve that I showed above. Then it’s time to abandon the 1 server model. I’m cool with 1 server until I have to contend with what the 7 people from Australia who play this game want for every mechanic

RIGHT?

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Skimmed through thread.

See literal dumpster tier players in both MO1 AND MO2 discussing combat mechanics, exit out. Haha not to mention literal bottom of the barrel trash players talking about high end combat. YIKES. Good thing SV doesn't listen to any advice on anything, cause this forum is filled with dumpster dogshit feedback from dumpster dogshit players, you got bronze tier players trying to balance LCS meta.

You got one thing right tho, this game is more ping dependent than MO1 was which is kind of funny considering all the ping normalization stuff.

It's crazy how people try to say it isn't when it definitely is.

A lot of people shit on MO1 ping, but then that tells me they never really bothered to play or get better given the fact anyone could beat anyone if they were better. You just had to play to your region. Most EU players were heavily defensive, NA were a mix of defense and offense, and the higher the ping got typically the more aggressive players got.

It was objectively shit but players could compete. IDK why some aussies say the other game was unplayable for them, I've literally played with aussies and against aussies and would win and lose against them. I think people just played on really bad connections. A lot of people still play games like MO or even Mordhau on WiFi (why?)

But yeah. MO2 just feels like who ever makes less mistakes in a group wins. Just run a sword if you want mix ups or run spear and spam, play mage to be support. Use pet to not play the game. Ride a horse and do PvP to bore yourself. Really deep combat. Yeah.. Yeah.. /s

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Skimmed through thread.

See literal dumpster tier players in both MO1 AND MO2 discussing combat mechanics, exit out. Haha not to mention literal bottom of the barrel trash players talking about high end combat. YIKES. Good thing SV doesn't listen to any advice on anything, cause this forum is filled with dumpster dogshit feedback from dumpster dogshit players, you got bronze tier players trying to balance LCS meta.

You got one thing right tho, this game is more ping dependent than MO1 was which is kind of funny considering all the ping normalization stuff.

What you’re talking about me?

I get that you like the combat as it is but it’s literally designed for 1 play style alone.

mechanics had to be artificially injected. What am I the best dueler ever no? Did I even strive to be no? Did they nerf the game 20+ Times in reaction to your game play no. Did they do it to me? Yea. Take from that what you will

Last edited:

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Yeh, it sucks. I was really hoping to get a feel of 2010 - 2013ish MO1 combat mechanics in MO2. With some of the technical improvements of mid - late MO1, just with more polish & stability. But what we have is an even more extreme jump in combat design, compared to what we experienced from early MO1 to late MO1.
Yea same.
Did get a few months of the good combat this time before whiners got to them again.

Reactions: Teknique

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
What you’re talking about me?

I get that you like the combat as it is but it’s literally designed for 1 play style alone.

mechanics had to be artificially injected. What am I the best dueler ever no? Did I even strive to be no? Did they nerf the game 20+ Times in reaction to your game play no. Did they do it to me? Yea. Take from that what you will

The biggest reason this game is so ping dependent is because blocking regular hits is so easy and theres no real counter to it. Thats the major point of improvement.

Its fucking hilarious you think blocking is my playstyle btw, it might be now but I've asked for reduced block radius in MO1 for years yet it never happened and prolly wont happen in this game. I do welcome some other ways to counter blocking but that's in SVs hands.

At the end of the day, your unwillingness to adapt does not change the fact this games combat is already more complex and skillbased than MO1 combat was. Theres more factors to it, more different mechanics that somebody can be good at and the block system is at the core allowing for all the complexities. Without blocking, there would be no point to do any spins and no point to do any feints and you would literally have a single mechanic that defined the skill ceiling which is movement.

Harder and more skillbased mechanics should be rewarded more compared to extremely simple mechanics with low skill ceilings. Yes blocking regular hits is very easy. Blocking hits against someone that knows what they are doing is leagues harder. Running around in circles and endlessly spamming hits is very easy to do which in turn means its easy to block.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Says the game is more complex and skill based but is still running around with a spear spamming people because it's better to just spam and not care if someone parries you and starts the next wind up and goes for a trade. Didn't you literally play the exact same way in MO1?

The game was slowed down and things made easier so more players could use it. That doesn't make it more complex and skill based. That's literally the opposite.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by 'blocking hits against someone that knows what they are doing is leagues harder.' A competent player will block almost anything no matter how much spinning or feinting you do, because the system is inherently slow. The only thing that really differentiates one player to another is ping.

EU players still have the best reaction times, and it's not because they're good and everyone else is bad.

At least in MO1 blocking wasn't always the sure way to be defensive, sometimes being defensive meant being offensive.

Havoc

Aug 23, 2021
Re-increasing the speed of combat isn't a smart idea, Here is an early video when they decided to "Increase" the combat speed from an oceanic player perspective.

Shortly after they've reverted back to the slower speed and eventually found a medium of speed/slow that is more suitable for high-ping players.

The truth is that this here is why the combat is slow. The only requests you can really make to justify changing combat back is either splitting the player-base with multiple servers or the much better option- making each future continent its own server hosted in different locations.

This would allow everyone to play in some parts of Nave at low ping, and still maintain the original vision for the game.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
The truth is that this here is why the combat is slow. The only requests you can really make to justify changing combat back is either splitting the player-base with multiple servers or the much better option- making each future continent its own server hosted in different locations.

This would allow everyone to play in some parts of Nave at low ping, and still maintain the original vision for the game.

???

How do people even come to this conclusion. You're quite literally suggesting players segregate themselves within the game for a more optimal experience, whilst making it unenjoyable for anyone else to step in said region. Yeah just give NA players and Oceanic players a shitty continent no one wants to play on and then make fun of them when they complain that the only place they have good ping is a desert PvE continent or some mountainous frozen wasteland with no players.

This is such low-brow logic it actually hurts to read it. 'the better option'.. the better option is to treat it like a modern game and not something that didn't work for 10 years, and trying to push it a second time in the exact same manner. The technology isn't there to do it successfully. What you're seeing is compromising mechanics of the actual game.

A game that is successful will have players, anyone who calls it 'splitting the player base' is attempting to make a straw man argument to draw away from the real problems with the game. Especially if players can CHOOSE which server to play on, and can choose to play on multiple ones.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Doesn't help the fact that, in doing so, you're restricting other players (EU players) from wanting to play on these new continents if it appeals to them. So for someone like me who doesn't want a giant open PvE desert, maybe someone in the EU wants that but in playing there - their ping is now horrible and the mechanics feel much worse due to such an idea.

Or what if I want to play in Nordveld (or what ever it's called) but since it's on the Oceanic sever I now have even WORSE ping and can't even experience any of it properly. That's a super cool idea! Glad we have people literally supporting such moronic ideas because they don't go beyond their own sphere of want, and just blindly support what ever Henrik or Star Vault says because of some ""vision"".

You want a detailed view of the ""vision"" in work? Look at the previous game. Seriously. Go talk to the local purple prose archivist that starts with an 'N' and rhymes with Layla, ask them for their YouTube play lists of all the videos, saved write ups they creepily grab, and anything else they've hoarded over the past decade of MO1 and tell me the game was successful because of things like a single server.

But it'll be different this time right? Because it's UE4? Because they normalize the ping and instead of making mechanics good, they compromise them so players in the NA and anywhere else now feel like they 'belong' in the games combat systems, as well as other features as listed in previous posts?

Nah. Sorry. But I can't agree with that logic. It's 2021, and the game market MO2 is trying to fill is super niche and the mix of casual and hardcore elements with no thought put forward in how to attract more players is just honestly sad given developers now-a-days just don't care.

Anyone who ever makes a population argument that regional servers would KILL the game, are so sucked up in this idea of 'one world, one server' it's literally harming the potential of the game. What's even worse is the devs are pushing hard for it, and don't care.

They want more people to play the game? Make the actual content in the game fun and worth while, and make the mechanics balanced and enjoyable to use. A single server isn't going to allow that.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Good one man. I'd imply you can't counter what I said but the fact you're taking what I said about you shows that.

Seriously though, tell me why I'm wrong for thinking that without being biased towards yourself and your own experiences.

1. SV have gone on record numerous times saying, displaying, and allowing players to experience the difference in the game being normalized and not. It has hindered many mechanics in the game.

2. A single server puts a lot of people at a notable disadvantage in-game. A game which has full-loot PvP in it.

3. People still experience issues regarding ping. Even if on a stable, wired connection.

4. A single server can be extremely unappealing to potential new players. There's a difference in compromising what you think is quality to play something you enjoy, and downright not having the ability to play in a more seamless experience. Take a look at private WoW servers, people settle with having worse ping to play something that isn't available to them normally from the devs. (Only in the recent few years have they began to capitalize on that whilst ruining the original game in the process.)

5. @Havoc The idea you you agreed with, which has been teased slightly by SV about continents having different server-regions is just downright a bad idea because of what I said earlier. You are shoe horning players into playing in a place they do not like, for a more optimal experience; whilst others feel locked out due to potential ping issues going elsewhere.

But yeah, lets hear it.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Lets just enjoy the first 2 months on release and kill as many noobs as possible because between the overpriced sub model and Henriks genius one server vision, we will be back to MO1 population after that.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
The biggest reason this game is so ping dependent is because blocking regular hits is so easy and theres no real counter to it. Thats the major point of improvement.

Its fucking hilarious you think blocking is my playstyle btw, it might be now but I've asked for reduced block radius in MO1 for years yet it never happened and prolly wont happen in this game. I do welcome some other ways to counter blocking but that's in SVs hands.

At the end of the day, your unwillingness to adapt does not change the fact this games combat is already more complex and skillbased than MO1 combat was. Theres more factors to it, more different mechanics that somebody can be good at and the block system is at the core allowing for all the complexities. Without blocking, there would be no point to do any spins and no point to do any feints and you would literally have a single mechanic that defined the skill ceiling which is movement.

Harder and more skillbased mechanics should be rewarded more compared to extremely simple mechanics with low skill ceilings. Yes blocking regular hits is very easy. Blocking hits against someone that knows what they are doing is leagues harder. Running around in circles and endlessly spamming hits is very easy to do which in turn means its easy to block.
Thanks for the reply.

I agree with you on breaking blocking being the solution. Here is what happened from my perspective.

MO 2 launches, it was immediately stated by most that blocking was too easy.

Tyguy discovers the up swing, we do that for a while it gets nerfed.

Accelerations get nerfed

flick shots get nerfed with the turn cap

using movement speed to switch up your keyboard direction gets nerfed

ping normalization set to Australian ping

flurrying gets removed from the game with those ridiculous delays between swings

flurrying gets nerfed again with delay on charging a new swing after being parried

stamina and jumping gets nerfed.

All of these things favor people who are really good at blocking because it removed any obstacles that they had. The person who excels at breaking blocking has had to deal with nerf after nerf after nerf.
Not to mention Henrik straight up lied about working on offense to counter balance all these things.

As for adaptation I don't know how to adapt to a targetted destruction of things I was doing to players and my enjoyment (at times there were only 10 people playing so yes they used me as the guinea pig). Anything that I wasn't good at never got nerfed its egotistical and crazy but I also feel its true.

When people say spinning and flurrying is easy to do they are really diminishing the raw aim involved in it and no I don't feel nerfing a bunch of stuff makes it more complex. I think it makes it more simplistic. Yeah maybe since everyone moves like a char with no dex or foot speed in mo 1 I guess it’s not hard anymore

Also every complex mechanic is a subset of ping. I don't want to overuse the ping argument but resetting blocks on hit is ping, delay between parries, ping, and so on and so forth.

Obviously there are things that are cool like the parry recovery on hit, hell I’m the one who asked for it to be instantaneous.

I would rather play mo 1 and lose all my duels then this.

Last edited:

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Doesn't help the fact that, in doing so, you're restricting other players (EU players) from wanting to play on these new continents if it appeals to them. So for someone like me who doesn't want a giant open PvE desert, maybe someone in the EU wants that but in playing there - their ping is now horrible and the mechanics feel much worse due to such an idea.

Or what if I want to play in Nordveld (or what ever it's called) but since it's on the Oceanic sever I now have even WORSE ping and can't even experience any of it properly. That's a super cool idea! Glad we have people literally supporting such moronic ideas because they don't go beyond their own sphere of want, and just blindly support what ever Henrik or Star Vault says because of some ""vision"".

You want a detailed view of the ""vision"" in work? Look at the previous game. Seriously. Go talk to the local purple prose archivist that starts with an 'N' and rhymes with Layla, ask them for their YouTube play lists of all the videos, saved write ups they creepily grab, and anything else they've hoarded over the past decade of MO1 and tell me the game was successful because of things like a single server.

But it'll be different this time right? Because it's UE4? Because they normalize the ping and instead of making mechanics good, they compromise them so players in the NA and anywhere else now feel like they 'belong' in the games combat systems, as well as other features as listed in previous posts?

Nah. Sorry. But I can't agree with that logic. It's 2021, and the game market MO2 is trying to fill is super niche and the mix of casual and hardcore elements with no thought put forward in how to attract more players is just honestly sad given developers now-a-days just don't care.

Anyone who ever makes a population argument that regional servers would KILL the game, are so sucked up in this idea of 'one world, one server' it's literally harming the potential of the game. What's even worse is the devs are pushing hard for it, and don't care.

They want more people to play the game? Make the actual content in the game fun and worth while, and make the mechanics balanced and enjoyable to use. A single server isn't going to allow that.
What could sustain more life one earth or three earths?

what would fit better 100 rats in one cage or 33 rats in 3 cages.

what would be more comfortable living 10 families in 1 home or 5 homes.
Every habitat has some kind of max population. 1 server would limit it way more.
One server almost seems like planning to fail. At some point it’s going to be overcrowded and people will leave. If it’s under crowded it means game wasn’t engaging enough

sure you can have too many servers. There’s an optimal number though and it’s probably greater than 1