Add Moment of Vulnerability after Parry

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
They removed flurrying because, due to the unavidable de-sync in this game, it is unblockable if the ping difference is too high.

fast attacks are not skillful, they are litteraly impossible to block because by the time your opponent sees them, youve already hit him. It is not skill that allows you to kill, its abusing the shitty latency.

SV didnt fix de-sync. They slowed everything down so its not as obvious.And all of a sudden….everyone is able to parry forever. But now everyone is sad, and want the fast, unblockable spam fest that was before. Besically abusing prediction.

just be happy that more people can enjoy melee combat now that they can actually parry. Unlike before when the only strategy was who could abuse prediction the most.

Fast attacks aren't skillful? What?

• Sad
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
I'm not certain that I agree that it is at perfect equilibrium right now. That is, that it could not be any faster movement speed and attack speed wise as well as all mechanics parry delays, miss delays etc are perfectly balanced.

I think what you're citing is A problem. One that was fixed since the inception of MO 2 since people were saying it was easy to parry back then and indeed it was.

This is with fast movement speed and flurrying and was way more fun. Sure ping normalization wasn't fully implemented yet. That doesn't mean the removing of flurrying made any sense. The two don't logically follow like you're suggesting they do

That combat speed was way better. It just needed the turn caps removed.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
That combat speed was way better. It just needed the turn caps removed.
I watch it and almost want to cry. especially some of the instant 360s I was doing.

Don't think I could be any sadder at what happened in beta, really.

say what you want about spinning, but I played the game how I wanted to and its gone. You gotta give me that.

Anyway we'll see an influx of players and I anticipate people will cite the combat being way too slow, but I could be wrong.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
I just don't follow the logic.

One guy says the combat is good slow because more people can enjoy it, even though it negatively impacts the skill floor and skill ceiling.

Yet in my eyes where games have a somewhat mid skill floor and high skill ceiling, it incentivizes people to actually get better at something whereas with this current combat you learn some gimmicks and if your with a guild / group, just don't push randomly, focus targets, and call out stuff that is needed.

The combat is so dumbed down its boring. But the game wants to tout it around like its a big part of the game without actually making it fun.

Reactions: Tzone

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Low/mid skill floor means that your most dedicated aka hardcore players who are usually driving the game will get board and then quite.

You need high skill ceiling and if you had a mid level skill floor more people would be interested.

If you just make a low skill floor mid skill ceiling the game then you are just shooting your game in the foot and dooming it to mediocrity.

MO2 has some hard walls to get past due high latency to get high skill gameplay but its one of the biggest bad points of the game is the low skill ceiling.

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021
I'm not trying to impress anyone just show a combat style that i'd like to see return.

maybe this would be better, I didn't exactly prepare to have to be talking about this 7 years in the future.

To be clear i'm just trying to answer the guys question on what is flurrying.

No, I was speaking to emdash. I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish with what he was saying. Then posted some weird video

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Almost like the game isn't completely tuned towards 1v1 trihards that spend all day playing and is actually geared towards group fights. Hm

• Haha
Reactions: AssassinOTL

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Almost like the game isn't completely tuned towards 1v1 trihards that spend all day playing and is actually geared towards group fights. Hm
The irony being I wasn't a dueler at all in the first game.

Everything i'm saying is true of group fights.

movement speed probably being chief among them.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
And thats a problem. What you are basically is saying that the combat isnt for people who are dedicated enough to practice and train to increase their ability in the game. Group fights isnt that much skill nor special. Its mainly just holding your swing in different directions and focusing on people.

Many people will see no point in playing a low skill ceiling game because their is not room for self improvement and then the game is boring.

This games biggest issue is the lower skill cieling which means a lot less content for the fighter PvE and PvP.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
And thats a problem. What you are basically is saying that the combat isnt for people who are dedicated enough to practice and train to increase their ability in the game. Group fights isnt that much skill nor special. Its mainly just holding your swing in different directions and focusing on people.

Many people will see no point in playing a low skill ceiling game because their is not room for self improvement and then the game is boring.

This games biggest issue is the lower skill cieling which means a lot less content for the fighter PvE and PvP.

A lot of people really don't understand how important this fact alone is.

There are plenty of games that 'watered down' their combat ideas in exchange for something more usable in a newer and or lesser skilled players hands.

Anyone who played MO1 and PvP'd a good bit can tell you MO2 is the easier of the two games, but it is also much slower and more rigid. It's also just under developed.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
As an Oceanic player, I became very salty when I first played MO2 and realized my playstyle from MO1 had been neutered and forced me into turtle gameplay, which I'm not a fan of. If I want to master broken animations, cheese mechanics and play some jedi mind tricks, I'll play Mordhau.

MO2 lacks offensive capabilities in PvP to break defensive players. I get SV want to balance between all connections, but the current implementation of combat mechanics just makes PvP feel slow, sluggish and somehow more clunky than MO1. MO1 actually feels fluid compared to MO2 combat, and that shouldn't be the case.

#bringbackflurrying

Sorry Sneeze, video is a good example of flurry beans.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
As an Oceanic player, I became very salty when I first played MO2 and realized my playstyle from MO1 had been neutered and forced me into turtle gameplay, which I'm not a fan of. If I want to master broken animations, cheese mechanics and play some jedi mind tricks, I'll play Mordhau.

MO2 lacks offensive capabilities in PvP to break defensive players. I get SV want to balance between all connections, but the current implementation of combat mechanics just makes PvP feel slow, sluggish and somehow more clunky than MO1. MO1 actually feels fluid compared to MO2 combat, and that shouldn't be the case.

#bringbackflurrying

at first glance the new mo2 fight might seem slow and with no way to break the opponent's defenses. But you are very wrong, just play it a little more seriously and you will find out how to do it.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

#bringbackflurrying

Nice flurries. Some people lost duels to it in MO 2 and cried so hard and thats why we're where we're at.

Same reason why jumping takes 900 stam etc.

its all just for someone to win more duels xd

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
@ElPerro Was someone who was not a flurry player at all. Somehow I doubt that he just wants it removed the game entirely just because thats not his style. Could be wrong

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
at first glance the new mo2 fight might seem slow and with no way to break the opponent's defenses. But you are very wrong, just play it a little more seriously and you will find out how to do it.
Any competent PvPer won't fall for anything the game currently offers in combat mechanics, it just results in parry trades until someone eventually fuck ups, or someone starts pulling out the spins and looking up animation tricks.

I'm not wrong, I understand the combat mechanics in MO2 quite well. SV has attempted to level the playing field by slowing down combat focusing on time windows to suit ping normalization - And they executed it poorly. There's a reason a lot of MO1 vets have been complaining for a long time, because the combat mechanics are a bit lack luster.

Nice flurries. Some people lost duels to it in MO 2 and cried so hard and thats why we're where we're at.

Same reason why jumping takes 900 stam etc.

its all just for someone to win more duels xd
Yeh, some design decisions for mechanics aren't that great. But hey we are apparently very wrong according to these new blood.

Reactions: WolfAchilles

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
Any competent PvPer won't fall for anything the game currently offers in combat mechanics, it just results in parry trades until someone eventually fuck ups, or someone starts pulling out the spins and looking up animation tricks.

I'm not wrong, I understand the combat mechanics in MO2 quite well. SV has attempted to level the playing field by slowing down combat focusing on time windows to suit ping normalization - And they executed it poorly. There's a reason a lot of MO1 vets have been complaining for a long time, because the combat mechanics are a bit lack luster.

Yeh, some design decisions for mechanics aren't that great. But hey we are apparently very wrong according to these new blood.
idk im doing very well feinting reposts and attacking with right distances. its another playstyle. And i think groupfights are still funny, where stamina managment and focuses matters. ofc there are some things to adjust.. but comparing it to mo1 is a joke.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
idk im doing very well feinting reposts and attacking with right distances. its another playstyle. And i think groupfights are still funny, where stamina managment and focuses matters. ofc there are some things to adjust.. but comparing it to mo1 is a joke.
I don't really have any good examples of recent duels since i'm not really playing,

but it isn't as if I can't participate in the game/combat system.

The best analogy I would have is if in starcraft 2 they made it so you could only play terran and could only make marines.

removing entire swathes of combat styles is not a good idea and putting poison in the ear of Henrik to do so is sad

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
And this my friends is why I say magic is OP. Cant be parried. Same with MA.

To actually contribute to the topic. I think a possible solution is make parry damage higher. If you sit there getting hits for 5's over and over its going to add up. And then make big boy weapons that are slow and garbage do extra parry damage.

Parry hits could also lower the person parryings stam so that they cant just be full stam while they sit back and do nothing while the person actually trying to win blows stam.

Also you should be able to stam up while swinging and not sprinting. That way if they stand there parrying you can stand there swinging and eventually will get a hit in / they die to parry damage if they never fight back.

@Teknique I love how you can hit him before he does an animation and he can still get a parry lmao. Fighting as nubs in this game is fun but the second players know what they are doing and arent using a nerf sword that swings at the speed of light, the melee combat 1v1 is just so lame.

At the end of the day theres not a ton SV can do while wanting the melee combat to be parry based. Because this is always what happens, its the same reason I hate Mordhau. Its just a parrying contest, which if one player is good a worsep layer will never land a hit. and 2 good players its just an aids fest of doing jank stuff to try and get a hit in. I greatly prefer hit trade based combat. Then you are always doing some damage, but the better player will land better/more hits and win. Which is a lot more how MNO1 played. Because ping and parrying was jank so a lot of players just ran around and tried to out trade. The second I would fight a player who was good at parrying and had good ping it stopped being fun. Sadly in MO2 this is everyone because parrying is much easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: WolfAchilles

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Flurries IMO are what players like Snasen do. Going aggressive throwing multiple swings, often not fully charged to land hits and mess people's parries up. It was effectively removed when the delay after missing a swing was added because if you missed one swing it stopped your offensive onslaught. He would hit for 8s and 10s but because he was so quick with it he could destroy people.
Interesting, I always felt that when your opponent misses it helps to defeat them and I enjoy that. But if that change made is the reason we can't break parry whore defense and have to rely on cheese animations to land a hit I'd much prefer flurry to come back to game. As waiting for opponent to miss is less reliable then going full flurry mode on them.