Why does SV hate PvPers?

Cyrotek

Feb 1, 2022
Get gud is always trusted and usefull advice. Game doesnt have to be main stream to survive, profit, or be fun.

I never claimed it does. But having only 500 people in such a big game world is maybe a little to few. And going from only 500 people (which is really not a lot of money per month) to a dead game can be very fast.

PvP isnt killing the game

I did not say it was. PvP is an integral part of the game, it would be weird if it would. But balancing out the amount of involuntary PvP is of paramount importance.

We are the dedicated players that have 1000s of hours and hundreds of dollars in the game before it was released. We supported this game because there is nothing left on the market after the locust sworm of mainstreamers ate them all up.

Drama much? The reason there is barely anything left is because they all failed/failed to adapt. The games were designed in a way that allowed communities to cannibalize on their own and especially new players and without fresh blood they are bound to get bored.

You NEED new players and ganking/griefing them till they leave in frustration is not a way to retain them. Why do you think something like Eve STILL exists? Because it never devolved in a pure gankfest.

Good for you if you don't care about the health of the game. However, I do and I already see the telltale signs of failing I've seen in multiple games in the past, which has me kinda worried.

I dont understand the obsession with needing every game to be a main stream carebear game. You already have so many options to chose from, no need to ruin MO2. The best games usually are the ones they dont attract the main stream market.

I wonder at what point you realize that this is a straw man. No one wants it to be a "carebear" game except trolls.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I never claimed it does. But having only 500 people in such a big game world is maybe a little to few. And going from only 500 people (which is really not a lot of money per month) to a dead game can be very fast.

I did not say it was. PvP is an integral part of the game, it would be weird if it would. But balancing out the amount of involuntary PvP is of paramount importance.

Drama much? The reason there is barely anything left is because they all failed/failed to adapt. The games were designed in a way that allowed communities to cannibalize on their own and especially new players and without fresh blood they are bound to get bored.

You NEED new players and ganking/griefing them till they leave in frustration is not a way to retain them. Why do you think something like Eve STILL exists? Because it never devolved in a pure gankfest.

Good for you if you don't care about the health of the game. However, I do and I already see the telltale signs of failing I've seen in multiple games in the past, which has me kinda worried.

I wonder at what point you realize that this is a straw man. No one wants it to be a "carebear" game except trolls.
Why do you think there would be 500 people in this game if it had PvP? When it has almost hit 10k concurrent. The market if absolutely giant for MMOs. This game will easily be populated even if it has problems. Its not even a niche game people are actively searching for a open world PvP game and on top of that to include the full loot.

PvP is not involuntary its is consented when you log into the game. People are coming for the open world PvP not for arena PvP. Resource/territory control is major content.

Using the term gankfest is cringe. This game was not a anything that could be described as a gankfest before or after any changes. Just look at your surroundings and pay attention dude its not hard.

Game would fail because Henrik doens know how to play games or design them. Half implementing systems making timesink game play loops like walk 30 mins from a priest if you die, sit down and then eat food every hour of intense play, no TC, putting keeps/housing in the game with out sieging, ping issues due to one server, lower player skill cap, not very entertaining PvE, shallow crafting, and being punished for being a victor in PvP. Open world PvP is whats carrying this game not whats driving people who dont have the mental to stay out.

Still not explaining in any way how I was strawmaning, mostly because your are creating a fallacy fallacy to ignore the argument that yes people are asking for a carebear game. Just waiting for the mainstream players to leave so we can figure how much of the game is left to be salvaged after compromising to people who will never settle for compromise.

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021
Why is it that the same group of people are always on the forums sucking each others dicks and praying that the game dies? Y'all are supposedly "hardcore fans," but you act like five year olds. Wanting the game to die because you don't get your way is pathetic. PvP isn't dead. You just can't be a bitch about it now. Plus because they implemented these changes ass backwards it'll get easier to grief people over time, so stop crying about it.

Wollkneul

May 28, 2020
Explain how, To me it seems you are arguing for what I said to be a fallacy so you may dismiss what I said with out effort or reason.

Your straw man is implying, that anybody in this thread was arguing completely against ganking or pvp and therefore trying to transform Mortal into a PvE oriented MMO like many others. You then proceeded to argue against that completely made up position, that literally no one ever had

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
You sound like an ignorant, coward, punk beyotch that never murdered a person in RL. You just like to do it video games. In the real world there is consequences for shit like that. In this video game it should be no different. If you want to be a bandit and murder innocent people who can’t fight back then you need to be punished some how. This is what Henrik means by consequences.

People have disabilities, trauma from military, and all sorts of underlining issues that make PvP uninteresting and even though it’s an MMORPG with open world PvP; there are still thousands of players who want to play non aggressively. You need to grow up and accept that fact.

whiiiich is whyy I sayyyy people should be able to flag non pvp and be treated differently as a target. Then let the fighters fight each other.

I can't... or rarely can... flip that switch. It IS just a game, but because I know people don't take it like a game, there's no amount of loot worth someone's feelings. And that's on everyone, even people who are aggressive. Once they start to break you still start to feel bad. Even if they are using weps and I'm using words.

There just has to be some way to separate things better. I appreciate the virtual world and even tho Tzone says shit about "this is an RP game," he wouldn't be on it or looking for an open world pvp game if he didn't understand 'immersing oneself in a world' as a positive. The more immersed you are, the better, but by extension... it's also more real. I used to have a good amount and still have some anxiety during pvp. More so than in other games. It's a short amount of time, you can lose a lot, you lose ego if nothing else. I can't fully get behind the idea that 'you signed up for this' when you spec a char in MO. But, I really do think there should be some way to 'sign up for it' in game. There should be a way to be open pvp without consequence and fight other open pvp people. Doesn't mean you ONLY fight open pvp people, and again @ tagging people with over 5 murder counts, there's a reason griefers always run 'The Commendable' title and have since MO1, cuz it's a joke. You just dunno what caused that.

It really is near impossible to not be aggressive if you are out there playing for real pvp. And that's assuming dude doesn't have any buddies. Like I said, to go back to the military, there are civilians and soldiers in real life, too. People get riled up when you drone terrorists but kill civilians. Why can't the system be like that? If you wanna be a civilian, then that's cool with me. If you wanna be a soldier, tho, I don't think you should get to pick and choose when you fight. Obviously, you don't want it to be death match, but that's where "ARPK" alliances come into play, once people know you, they don't kill you. You can kill the people in your guild without penalty but you don't (usually lol)... why... because they are your allies lol.

I'm not even a pvper, but gimme something to actually sign/flag that says "I'm ready for whatever." And lemme know who else is on that list, too. That's why I ask guilds "so you guys are open pvp huh." It's not even about grudge match. But just knowing that I can be inflicting severe psychological trauma on someone (and I know it happens, which sucks!) is hard to deal with. Like I said in other games, if people wanna bump against me we can get into psychological warfare, but this game is real enough that it's just different. Killing people in Black Desert or w/e is not the same at all, even if they get in their feelings they prol aren't getting traumatized. For whatever reason, prol the first person and all... this game is real, which is COOL, but the fact there is no reliable way to separate rando dude running around and know if he's cool w/ pvp or not sucks.

I mean you can always just poke someone, and that's about the closest you can go, but then you run the chance of just getting zerged cuz everyone thinks you are picking on someone.

Edit: and people who went red and such in MO1 didn't have to deal with that conundrum as much because people were attacking THEM on sight, so they already knew what the deal was. If someone lingers around and doesn't flee, they are prol gonna fuck with you, so you fight. There needs to be separate systems for PVP, BANDITRY, and CIVILIAN play imo. Cuz, more or less, it all falls into those categories, bandits run from real fights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serverus

Cyrotek

Feb 1, 2022
Why do you think there would be 500 people in this game if it had PvP? When it has almost hit 10k concurrent. The market if absolutely giant for MMOs. This game will easily be populated even if it has problems. Its not even a niche game people are actively searching for a open world PvP game and on top of that to include the full loot.

- The genre is niche in general
- MO1 wasn't exactly popular
- most of these type of games are dead withing their first year
- it had a VERY rough start
- it has only 5k players in the middle of its honey moon phase
- There is no reason to assume its player count will increase instead of decrease

Tho, keep in mind, I would like this game to succeed. But being a fan of something doesn't mean I am unable to think rationally.

Orn

Dec 13, 2021
They need to fix the war system and implement an alliance system as well.

Concerning war declarations:

My opinion is that if you own a keep, you auto accept any war declarations. Also, if guild A kills enough of guild B over a given time frame, then guild B can war declare on A automatically. Obviously the numbers would need massaged.

Changes like that would go a long way to add to the pvp experience and diminish any changes that hinder PKing random people (such as removing many red priests)

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
- The genre is niche in general
- MO1 wasn't exactly popular
- most of these type of games are dead withing their first year
- it had a VERY rough start
- it has only 5k players in the middle of its honey moon phase
- There is no reason to assume its player count will increase instead of decrease

Tho, keep in mind, I would like this game to succeed. But being a fan of something doesn't mean I am unable to think rationally.

This ain't a honeymoon phase. This is like I found out my wife was a man on the cruise ship and we talked it out for 2 weeks and are ready to move on.

Feb 10, 2022
So your solution to rampant PKing that will slowly kill the game is to ...

i have opposite opinion about it
people like you will kill it way faster than any pk

... recommend people play builds that allow them to run away easier? Buddy, I hate to break it to you, but this isn't going to work.

first you say it's imposible now you say it's not going to work
hmm it will work if you want to survive and not just crying on forum

I am also not sure what this has to do with it being full loot.

because there will be no gangs without possibility to loot

Nobody cares about losing shit, its not worth anything anyways.

no you do, thats why you want to punish people who plays better than you

The issue that gets people frustrated is the lost time after getting randomly killed by a bored "hardcore" pvp kid who then cries in forums when they die themselves because they don't understand that the game is not about them.

ofc it's not about active players it's about flowerpickers and chairmakers

Playing a PK needs to be actually "hardcore" and also offer gameplay possibilities for non-PKs. Right now it is extremly one sided.

oh wow one sided?

try it out, just for science and make video and notes and show it to us
would be interesting to watch how it is one sided gameplay work

(But, I have to admit, people sacrificing themselves to kill horses inside buildings have my blessing).
it seems you are fan of real griefing

there will be tc and you can hide behind big wall and even farming resources will low risk
i guess that time you will start crying about siege possibility and tell how that game not about sieging and we need to make it harder and "hardcore" as you said

people like you killing games

who just to lazy to improve, to find ways, take proper skills to survive.

Feb 10, 2022
My opinion is that if you own a keep, you auto accept any war declarations. Also, if guild A kills enough of guild B over a given time frame, then guild B can war declare on A automatically. Obviously the numbers would need massaged.

i like it but it wont work if you cant declare war to an alliance
people who doesnt want to fight will just move chars to another stone, just like it was in mo1

Orn

Dec 13, 2021
i like it but it wont work if you cant declare war to an alliance
people who doesnt want to fight will just move chars to another stone, just like it was in mo1

Agreed. Alliances would have to be part of the guild A/guild B equation. That way you need to choose carefully who you ally with.

Reactions: 666

Cyrotek

Feb 1, 2022

Not quoting everything. Let me just say that your answers make it obvious that you are arguing in bad faith. I've never said most of the things you seem to take as given.

For example, I actually win most of my fights against people that try to gank me. I am also not against full loot. The "running away" part was meant as in you can't just force people into a particular play style and expect them to be happy about it in a game that promotes free form character builds.

Please try to argue in a way that actually makes sense and don't just assume random things about the people you are arguing with.

Cyrotek

Feb 1, 2022
ok, now i see it's pointless to dialogue with you
just keep spamming that pvp players will kill pvp oriented game

good luck

Thanks for making it even more obvious that you didn't even try to read what people wrote.

Feb 10, 2022
Thanks for making it even more obvious that you didn't even try to read what people wrote.
you didnt answer any question, all what you can is spinning around and change direction everytime when you have nothing to say.
keep build hypothesis and and dont look back at mo history to understand what could work here and what will kill that game

good job

Bloodmasked

Jan 25, 2022
RPK is a real thing. And I'm personally part of the ARPK community. But as one of the prominent ARPK guilds constantly tells their members "Grey does not mean bad. There are plenty of justifiable reasons to go grey. If you just kill anyone who goes grey we will kick you for being an RPK."

Harbingers seems to get it. Why can't the people in this topic?
you are so cringe

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
@666 , what was your name in MO1? I think you share a lot of the PoVs that I do.

There are a lot of people arguing from their vantage point in this thread, and maybe we all are, but asfore more thoughts from me:

MO1 was hardcore. lol. It's like that thing where people say a game is challenging. People will always say no it's not, but in general MO1 was hardcore. MO2 is the same engine, but it's a lot different. Like, you die in the wild and the mobs aren't gonna kill your horse. It'd be so much less infuriating in 1 if you got stuck'd and eaten if you didn't have to watch 'your mount is taking damage'---- your mount is dead. Now you can just walk back and call it. Those sort of 'quality if life changes,' home priest, aim with crosshairs... they made the game less hardcore. They made it less niche. For better or worse, it remains to be seen because the game isn't really up and running yet (hence why I'm not even pushing, well that + just general blah,) all the people stacking mats need to remember mats mean nothing without a person using them.

They smoothed a lot of the little problems with MO1, even the subtly griefy things that you arguably deserve (like losing your mount when you die in pve.) Still, I have to blame dev direction for furthering the divide between pvp and pve. haha. Being a pvper is hard. The reason it's easy is because people group. The hardest dudes in MO1, and they had to have legit personality issues (again, as a solo of sorts, I can cop to having personality issues) rofl, or they would have been guilded regardless, were true solo pvpers. Whether they played mounted or not, doesn't matter. It was a very hard playstyle in MO1 and it's... honestly prol easier in MO2 if you get out your calculator. lol, remember I was the first person to say SOCIOPATH ahaha, nah, but maybe you all would prefer pragmatist. I am a hardcore idealist, which y'know can lead to immense tragedy, too, holocaust etc... so nobody is pointing fingers!

Still, I feel like something went wrong. They made a grave miscalculation. People are mad on both sides just like in MO1. It's passion. Either way, it's never gonna be enough, but my PoV is that the choice of pvping should carry the downside of pvp from other people. Small groups can still survive because they can pvp and such, but they aren't locked out from towns, etc. Still, if they keep pissing everyone off... I mean ARPK alliance or RPK alliance, you are gonna get the same result if you go around PKing, haha. You're gonna have people hunting for you, and that's OK! Guards and systems should be there to prevent things, like I agree w/ a respawn timer, better for both sides. No one feels camped, and no one like "I won't be controlled!!" me has to keep spawning out of spite. Guards should protect your stuff in cities. Horse griefing, I think just about everyone agrees (altho someone parked their horse to block the bank on purpose hummm, in the end it died) should not be a thing. That's the problem with sandboxes, there are always outliers and when people figure out those outliers they start to use them to piss people off. I mean, you used to be able to drop a bunch of campfires and mess with the game, too.

Better moderation would help it all. Someone parks a horse purposefully to block something in a city, mods should delete the horse after like 20 min or so. People spam a bunch of campfires, mods should delete the campfires and tell them if they put down any more they are gonna get forcefully logged off w/ a 24hr ban. I mean something as simple as 12hr... 24hr bans could be so useful. My belief is still "the perfect sandbox" would have very few systems but it would have good moderation. Sure, people would whine about mod decisions, or, esp in a game like MO with player mods, favoritism. EVEN THEN, assuming proper oversight, I would take some instances of corruption (that hopefully would be rooted out quickly) over overbearing systems.

The truth is, and this I can say with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY: OVERBEARING SYSTEMS (it seems to be a truism because what is 'overbearing,' but I'm saying systems like the ones in MO2, that affect the whole of gameplay) are BAD for a game. People who wanna do what the system prevents will find a way to get around it and still profit. The rest of the people will be blocked from part of the game, and yes pvp is part of the game. I think people would have a better opinion of pvp if they saw it being used in circumstances other than ganking, etc.

A lot of the pvpers are not arguing because they want the game to succeed. They want to pvp. A lot of pvers are not arguing because they want the game to succeed, they want to not be pvp'd. All of this shit, "When will this system be implemented/finished..." or "When it's finished!!" is BS to me. Even most pvpers don't want the flag/rep system toned down too much. That should go to show you that it's something you might wanna look at. Because, as I said, the systems protect everyone who knows how to live within them. There is not a lot of perma kill on sight flag in MO2; I mean, is there even one? haha. So it's a joke. It's confused. Let people pvp. Learn to make friends. Let the pvpers ally wit the pve-ers. Let the population be pruned a bit, if it must. This is not good, either. It's static and boring. it's a world of people stacking mats. Like, what are you doing? Not even w/ good systems to use the mats in, just getting more and more mats. Not for war, not for siege, not for TC, not for cooking, not for breeding, not for many of the advanced crafts... just to have more mats. That's what the game is about now. That's not a sustainable thing. It seems good right now, but everyone will burn out. This game hasn't been out for like what 3 weeks yet? Some of those weeks were unplayable due to permalogged in sweaties. Wait to see what happens.

Pvp is very much essential to the game and economy, just like having your horses get eaten when you die in pve. Everything creates a balance. Things balance by default... I mean if the game is up and running its technically balanced, but is it GOOD?

Seems to me no matter what they change, people are gonna be upset about it. I would just like less restrictions, let the players handle more. As I said before, people think of sandbox as in building sandcastles, but sandbox is actually a society. Let society be created with minimal restrictions THEN start to shape it. If you pre-shape it, you are shaping how it grows, which is weird... if the game turns into a death match with low pvp restrictions, then take action, as it is right now... I really dunno what is going on.

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
I'm absolutely not reading 9 pages of this shit although I respect anyone who has. I'll give my extra take though.
Part of MO's unique appeal is the hardcore PvP full loot nature of the game. Any design changes that make PvP more cumbersome to have really are going to have a more negative impact on how the community feels. If you like PvE there are a million games for you. If you like true sandbox games, there are few options for MMO fans.

Quit trying to make Mortal Online like other games. PvP should not only be encouraged, but from a developer perspective, they should be designing things around and expecting PvP. The competition is what makes the game worthwhile.

Reactions: Jatix and Tzone

Cyrotek

Feb 1, 2022
I'm absolutely not reading 9 pages of this shit although I respect anyone who has. I'll give my extra take though.
Part of MO's unique appeal is the hardcore PvP full loot nature of the game. Any design changes that make PvP more cumbersome to have really are going to have a more negative impact on how the community feels. If you like PvE there are a million games for you. If you like true sandbox games, there are few options for MMO fans.

Quit trying to make Mortal Online like other games. PvP should not only be encouraged, but from a developer perspective, they should be designing things around and expecting PvP. The competition is what makes the game worthwhile.

The issue isn't PvP itsself, the issue is being forced into PvP situations you have no chance of getting out of regularly without it being a fault of your own and griefing. This thread made it pretty clear that the "hardcore" PvP people are talking about is essentially just ganking people that stand no chance.

And again a disclaimer that seems to be necessary: Being forced into shitty pvp situations belongs to the game, it is part of it. But as with everything else it needs to be enjoyed in moderation, otherwise it will cause issues for the game as a whole.