Some ideas/suggestions via fan concept art

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
Mortal Online has captured my creative interest for probably a decade now. I wouldn't be who I am as an artist or a writer without it, so I think it's only natural I vent creative ideas as I get back into it. I figure I'll just continue my track record of throwing this kind of stuff out there, no promises on how frequently/infrequently I'll post. (There's also no 'art' section, so I'm just putting it here since these are things I'd like to see.)

Alvarin Eyes

I really love the dark eyes on the Alvarin and have since MO1. I think it's unique, sets the tone of MO's setting pretty firmly in making the ones people would consider "elf-like" delightfully spooky. And it's just fun. I decided to run with it more and add some individuality to their eyes while keeping the idea of them being overall dark (especially the sclera):

alvarin-eyecolors_smallest.jpg

I chose nature-inspired colors for both—the Sheevra I gave cooler 'gem tones', while the Veela I gave warmer 'earth tones'. I was very deliberate about that to really help push a 'look' for each group while still keeping the overall 'dark eyes'. In an ideal world, mixing bloodlines would unlock at least some of the Sheevra eye colors for a Veela, and visa-versa.

(I painted the texture examples myself, so feel free to use them if you like them, SV)

Alvarin Hair Colors

alvarin-haircolors-smallest.jpg
As for the hair colors, I like them being pretty limited for the Sheevra because I think it gives them a very distinct look — so I added that deep red as a color option that might seldom be seen, but kept the others as shades of gray. This idea was especially made in mind with the eye colors, since I gave them more dramatic variety there.

As for the Veela, I imagine them as more colorful in their hair, which we do see some of in-game. Blondes, redheads, brunettes of various shades—but all warm shades for the Veela. Like the Sheevra, this idea was made with the eye colors in mind—since they don't leave the range of brownish/greenish in their eye colors they might have a variety of hair colors to 'balance' that out, from a player customization perspective.

Alvarin Skin Tones

alvarin-skintones-smallestt.jpg
These are basically the same, with the only difference being the bottom left variation. I really liked the ghostly alabaster skin tone option for Sheevra in MO1 and that's my only reason for that one. If that one gets added back in for Sheevra, I'll be happy.

As for the darker Veela one, I figured it just looked cool. To differentiate from human skin tones, I gave the darker tone more of a 'gold' look that would keep in line with their strong yellow undertone options. (It would also really emphasize that 'shimmer' option that Alvarin get, since the current Veela skin tones don't show it off too well.)

And here are some examples of various combinations to show what would be possible on players and NPCs:

examples-smallest.jpg

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Nice I approve. I hope they add a lot more customization for characters. I liked how in Mo1 there were a lot of options, different colors, etc. I don't care for the fixed per race options. These hair styles are good. Any female should be able to haev whatever hair they want. Theres no reason it has to be race specific.

Reactions: Tuhtram

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
it wouldnt be the first time. who you think did the drawings for the starter builds in mo1?

-barcode
Shouldn't be the last time, either.
These hair styles are good. Any female should be able to haev whatever hair they want. Theres no reason it has to be race specific.
What a wonderful philospphy you've encapsulated.

And it would be against all feminine logic to expect them not to want styles that are new to their race/clade.

It would also be great to be able to change hairstyles fairly often.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
And it would be against all feminine logic to expect them not to want styles that are new to their race/clade.
While it makes sense that different races would have different primary styles, theres no reason MO should limit it. A Sarduccan living in Bakti would most likely have khurite hair style to try and fit in.

Also I thought this game was supposed to be a sandbox. where's my sand. I want my yellow rat tail and mustache.

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
While it makes sense that different races would have different primary styles, theres no reason MO should limit it. A Sarduccan living in Bakti would most likely have khurite hair style to try and fit in.

Also I thought this game was supposed to be a sandbox. where's my sand. I want my yellow rat tail and mustache.
Yeah I do have to agree, I think hairstyles shouldn’t be race locked—or gender locked, for that matter. It allows an unrestricted degree of customization for us, and seeing as how SV seems to be using the same system for NPCs this time around, it’s also that much more customization available for them to pull from to get NPCs looking different from one another.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Some of the hairstyles really don't fit with the "jungle" aspect of being an alvarin. Additionally the eyelashes make them look like instagram models instead of the hunters that they should be.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Some of the hairstyles really don't fit with the "jungle" aspect of being an alvarin. Additionally the eyelashes make them look like instagram models instead of the hunters that they should be.
Good news, people can pick if they want to be a jungle thug Alvarin or a high elf riding a white horse Alvarin. I thought this was a sandbox.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Good news, people can pick if they want to be a jungle thug Alvarin or a high elf riding a white horse Alvarin. I thought this was a sandbox.
There are no high elves in this game.... I think it's back to Warcraft with you.

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
Sheevra live in large underground cities with intricate architecture and have half shaved heads that look very 2013, Veela hairstyles include braided pigtails. They aren’t purely “jungle” in the stereotypical sense, and many nomadic hunter gatherer populations irl have very intricate hairstyles that require hours and hours of work and special ceremonies surrounding them.

Either way, those hairstyles weren’t a suggestion, just the colors. But I don't think they're entirely out of line either. Braids are prominent in Alvarin hairstyles, the Veela one is almost copy of a male hairstyle already in-game, and Sheevra seem to like to play with different hair lengths on different parts of their head.

vZrVJHC.png
LLVprRO.png

hDWgGu3.png
Odo6HVr.png

And here's some Sheevra architecture as well:
155o7cb.png

Also this Sheevra mage art from MO1:
DhbaiFB.png

Which matches up pretty well stylistically with their other concept art:
VYDDLgi.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Some of the hairstyles really don't fit with the "jungle" aspect of being an alvarin.
Bosh and blather. Some of the heroes of old Ireland tested themselves for agility by racing through the forest*, not going over anything as high as their knee that could be ducked under, and not ducking under anything as high as their heads, but putting a hand on top of it and vaulting over it, and one of the parameters of success in this was that not a single lock of their long (and rather elaborately dressed) hair should stick in any of the obstacles.

You're god-moding the Lore of a Clade that has been illustrated by Star Vault rather extensively before this. I suggest research into how their image is presented in Mortal games.

-----
* That's how long ago it was: there were great forests on those islands.
** Fun Fact: Thomas Jerfferson, POTUS #3, was said to be able to hoist, scramble, and vault over any wall that he could put a hand to the top of-- and he was tall for his times, and ours.

Reactions: Tuhtram and Valoran

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
Hair_Tind_M2.jpgHair_Tind_F.jpgHair_Khur_M.jpgHair_Khur_F.jpg
Some hairstyle concepts, click to enlarge.

(I actually drew up many more than this (50+ each), but these were the ones that made the cut.)
A breakdown of decisions I made: I wanted to focus on the largest Myrland (surface) ethnic groups—the Myrlandic Tindremenes and the Myrlandic Khurites—for my first hairstyle ideas/explorations. I think asset-wise it's important to represent them and their diversity the most since we start off with access to their lands, so they're going to make up the most amount of NPC characters we encounter. (I do plan on doing hair for each ethnic group, though not as many—for the reason just stated.)

I should also note that I drew these with the intention of all of the hairstyles being able to be worn by every race/gender, like how SV handled hair in MO1. It makes creating unique player characters and NPCs that much easier, and sometimes a style is just so simple or basic that anyone could have it. If a Kallard grew up in Tindrem, his hairstyle may very well reflect that. If a Veela has spent the past 50 years in Morin Khur, maybe she's just started doing things the way Khurites do to fit in.

I went at these styles thinking of all sorts of character types as well: Warriors, mages, bandits, merchants, priests/shamans, nobles, commoners, etc. I also considered many different locations. So while the first instinct for a "Tindremene" style may be to think of the stereotypical rank-and-file proud Tindremene marching around Tindrem, also try to imagine a mage visiting from the secluded and mysterious isle of Isla Piska, or a smuggler who works out of the sewers in some yet-to-be-discovered Undercity, a sailor who's been at sea for over a year and has finally landed back in Meduli, etc.

For the sketches where there are ridiculous amount of concepts, here they are (just remember I didn't include some of them for a reason):

Tindremene M
Tindremene F
Khurite M
Khurite F

Some of the ones that didn't make the cut I really liked, but felt like they might be better suited for another cultural group—or I just didn't have the space.

Honorable Mention for ones that should've made the cut go to:
  • All of these receding hairline/balding styles
    • While I did include one in the finals, I think it's only right that Players/NPCs sometimes can be bald(ing) and have multiple choices/levels of receding hair rather than just one.
  • This very messy bun
    • Would make a good hairstyle for a lot of types of characters. A tired barmaid? An old lady in the slums? A noble artistic soul who simply does not care because she must paint? The list goes on.
  • This hairstyle with a little animal skull on the back
    • I think would be good for Khurite priests/shamans, and maybe naturey characters in general.