Hybrid online.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
So after messing around with the new magic system I’m more and more convinced that hybrids will be the standard new foot fighter. It is just so damn easy to now to switch between melee and magic that it’s a no brainer.

parry whores will roll full on mage hybrids so as to take advantage of more mana/stronger spells, while average blockers will have a more hp/armor hybrid build.

everyone will have corrupt, reflect, lesser heal at minimum. Corrupt spams will be everywhere. Shields will be everywhere.

Will there even be a point getting bows when they can be nullified by a shield?

what do you think?

Last edited:

Louis_SmithR45

Dec 6, 2020
I just think its funny how people ignored and bashed a lot of feedback from players who played the previous game a lot. I guess they will get the last laugh and say 'we told you so'.

Reactions: Bicorps

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
right now you have infinite skill points. at some point sv is going to restrict this and you will have to plan out builds much more carefully, you wont be a full fighter + mage + archer

-barcode

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
right now you have infinite skill points. at some point sv is going to restrict this and you will have to plan out builds much more carefully, you wont be a full fighter + mage + archer

-barcode
I get that but still, if skills work like they did, people will want to play hybrids a lot more with the current ease of weapon/casting switching. Having a basic heal, corrupt, magic shield will be too good not to have.
every mage will have a weapon to block or at least a shield at all times. Archers will not have any easy target.

May 28, 2020
You can only have one character, many people who aren't willing to pay for more than one account will look at options to increase gameplay diversity and hybrids are a very attractive option.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
There won't be as many hybrids as you think. Also you need to remember the armor differences. Hybrids wear 10 weight or less and get hit for a LOT more than what your typical warrior is going to be wearing. Warrior/Mage groups are still going to be the standard just as they were in MO1.

You will def see more paladin, but I don't see a problem with them getting a couple self heals an corrupt if they invest the points.

People always pretend hybrids are so easy to play and how OP they are....

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
True hybrids have less armor and take more damage but that also means cheaper lodeout. A very attractive option for people that like to PVp but don’t have all week to spend farming to pay for a full steel armor set.

hybrids were much harder to play in MO1 because all the weapon swapping was very cumbersome. Now it’s super easy you don’t even have to think about it.

Also, with the overall slowness of combat, which makes blocking easier, even full on mages will use a shield or blocking weapon making them effectively play very close to a hybrid.

all this emphases on blocking and weapon usage will also make damage spells more attractive because you can’t block a spell without spell block.

Illuana

Jun 1, 2020
OK, I've been looking at these forums for 2 days and here's my idea on all this magic stuffs... My opinion...
Magic is designed by SV to be a thing... you may not agree with it, but you're not SV, you're agreement doesn't matter.
This is not MO1. This is something different,
Magic will have its place in every aspect of the game, PVP, PVE, whatever...
I have over 5000 hours counted on Steam, and probably another 2000 hours before steam, I have always played a tamer/mage with Dominate (Mammals only so I could get Minotaurs). It was a good build for my play style and I enjoyed it. I did 98% of my game play solo. I don't like PVP I like PVE and I found a way for it to work. If you wanna play a thing, you too will find a way.

Edit: I was also one of the very few people with the 'Unlucky Title' <- You get that with having over 5000 deaths. I got used to it, I learned to play around death.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
True hybrids have less armor and take more damage but that also means cheaper lodeout. A very attractive option for people that like to PVp but don’t have all week to spend farming to pay for a full steel armor set.

hybrids were much harder to play in MO1 because all the weapon swapping was very cumbersome. Now it’s super easy you don’t even have to think about it.

Also, with the overall slowness of combat, which makes blocking easier, even full on mages will use a shield or blocking weapon making them effectively play very close to a hybrid.

all this emphases on blocking and weapon usage will also make damage spells more attractive because you can’t block a spell without spell block.
I don't see how hybrids having a cheaper loadout helps your point with hybrids being the new "standard". Full steel gives a specific advantage, just as light armor gives a specific advantage. There are different builds for a reason (because they are good at different things). Also if you think what made hybrids harder to play is "all the weapon swapping being cumbersome" then I don't believe you've actually played hybrid for any reasonable amount of time. You literally just have to hit your hotkey to unequip your weapon then cast. They were harder because they take more damage, do less melee damage, couldn't get luxury skills like warriors could, etc. And with speed being even more normalized in MO2...I think the gameplay of hybrids will change quite a bit.

I suppose I can understand your concern, but I think its too early to tell. There is a lot of very strong things each race/build gets. Once we see proper fights and builds with proper gear...I think it would be a better time to judge things then. Hybrids will be strong in the beginning, but once you have warriors in steel with mages behind them...hybrids are going to have a VERY difficult time if not played almost perfectly with other hybrids/mages you synergize really well with.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I'm going to throw out the question I'm sure will make many people angry but needs to be asked.

What is wrong with hybrids becoming the foot-fighter meta?

People say they want higher skillcaps. Hybrids have to have all the skills a footfighter needs and then add a whole new level of mage play into it. It's a more interesting higher skillcap build.

I don't think foot-fighters will be going away at all. I think most of them that aren't trash will have a bow in their build so that they can counter light-armor hybrids who try to kite them, but they are still a very solid build option.

But if every fighter now needs magic or a bow, how does that make combat less interesting or less skilled? Not seeing a problem. And if everyone has spells or a bow that means nobody can just "parry whore" a competent opponent.

Will there even be a point getting bows when they can be nullified by a shield?

Aim up or down. Shields are an annoyance not a foolproof hard counter to archers. Even the largest shield on a min-size Alvarin leaves places to aim at. If most melee are hybrids and have armor that allows for decent mana regen then it will be well worth it to get good at archery because any shot that lands is going to do huge damage. Plus they can't have their shield up while charging or casting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valoran

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I just think its funny how people ignored and bashed a lot of feedback from players who played the previous game a lot. I guess they will get the last laugh and say 'we told you so'.

50armv.jpg

Reactions: Jackdstripper

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Don't see any problem with hybrids still being around. In 1v1 situations it is quite subpar majority of the time and you will in most cases in a bad scenario, just run away and most likely get away. But in group play having hybrids in your lineup gives you so much teamplay potential that it CAN be vastly superior to min max fighters, archers and mages. We had some success in mo1 running hybrids, paladins and mages together. The ability to pull back from the enemy, bait them and then all simultaneously cast TLs at whoever comes close first is extremely strong. Along with a lot of other very helpful combos.
Heck, focused dump of spells was a really good way of dealing with singular number of mounteds trying to harass.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
when mounted combat will come along hybrids or no hybrids will make no difference :D

also I think hybrid is more engaging playstyle than just footfighter

Floky

Mar 2, 2021
merica
until we see how it goes I don't have a problem with anything starvault does I want a game that I can spend the next 10 years memeing with the boiz

Reactions: Speznat

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
you know we all have all our skills at 100 right? ...

I do think magic is overrepresented compared to what it will be in persistence because of this. It's also overrepresented because its new and everyone wants to try it. I'm hearing a lot of outcry about how bad it is too though. With one account I think A LOT of people will lose magic from their build.

But the point he's making is it's the ease of switching between melee and magic that will make hybrids more prevalent. Which is a solid point if perhaps overstated.

Avonis

Dec 20, 2020
Personally after living as an MC/MA all my MO life i've wanted to play a paladin this time around. Making all the skills fit with basically 0 compromise was fairly easy on a tind/kall with the new clades giving me around about 100 free skill points ontop of what you'll already have from your attributes. I could see with the new clades giving more skill room that some people will pick it up as a secondary, but as stated before by others i don't see it as a problem. Even with my build i've got everything a normal mage would have maxed, and everything a normal foot figther would have maxed skill wise with around 200hp, 337stam, 122 mana, 306/400 spd, 12% damage bonus with the 50int as that seems to be the soft cap also, but i went even heavier into the magic side so i could cast greaters and Tlash also.

Hybrids were VERY common in mo1 fights in all their lictor and polesword glory, but they fit their roles as well as the mage, dex fighter, hvy foot fighter and so on, they won't make everyone else redundant. I think if anything like i'm going paladin this time around we'll see alot more paladins as heavy foot fighters will find it easy to add on the end to gain some heals and corrupts.

Last edited:

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
when mounted combat will come along hybrids or no hybrids will make no difference :D

also I think hybrid is more engaging playstyle than just footfighter

i also agree with this. with how large the map is, and only one character, riding and mounted combat will be almost required. running around the map on foot is painfully slow.

Personally after living as an MC/MA all my MO life i've wanted to play a paladin this time around. Making all the skills fit with basically 0 compromise was fairly easy on a tind/kall with the new clades giving me around about 100 free skill points ontop of what you'll already have from your attributes. I could see with the new clades giving more skill room that some people will pick it up as a secondary, but as stated before by others i don't see it as a problem. Even with my build i've got everything a normal mage would have maxed, and everything a normal foot figther would have maxed skill wise with around 200hp, 337stam, 122 mana, 306/400 spd, 12% damage bonus with the 50int as that seems to be the soft cap also, but i went even heavier into the magic side so i could cast greaters and Tlash also.

Hybrids were VERY common in mo1 fights in all their lictor and polesword glory, but they fit their roles as well as the mage, dex fighter, hvy foot fighter and so on, they won't make everyone else redundant. I think if anything like i'm going paladin this time around we'll see alot more paladins as heavy foot fighters will find it easy to add on the end to gain some heals and corrupts.

kind of what i was alluding to here. hybrid play (or paladin if you wish) will become a lot more appealing with the current ease of casting with weapons equipped. also mages will want to have shields and weapons to block in a pinch, even without any skills. altogether making almost everyone some type of hybrid. stickybacking will be much harder with everyone having a shield on their backs. there wont be almost any weaponless "free kills" mages in the back lines.

Reactions: Rorry and Grasthard