Weight Gain/Loss rework idea

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
My goal is to think up a more intuitive weight gain/loss system that's less aggravating, without removing the role of cooking. If there are any glaring issues I hadn't considered, we can discuss it and I'll be happy to change this original post if we can talk it out and think up solutions.

zlXG8bI.png

(Image by Jimmy Malachier)
My Proposal:
  • Disconnect weight gain and weight loss from the reserve system.
  • Instead, add visible 'weight gain' and 'weight loss' stats to food.
  • Make most food lack 'weight gain' or 'weight loss' stats, allowing most food to be for reserve replenishment and other things*.
  • Make specific, intuitive ingredients and food types have 'weight gain' or 'weight loss' stats.
    • Butter, cream, oil, honey/sugar (if ever added), and some others could have 'weight gain' stats.
    • Water, certain vegetables, certain juices, maybe even certain minerals like salt could have 'weight loss' stats.
    • Certain food types could give additional weight bonuses, such as:
      • Pies
      • Beer
      • Deep Fried Food
    • Certain food types could give additional weight loss bonuses, such as:
      • Decoctions
  • Make weight change (particularly weight gain) much slower.
Under this system cooks still have the role of replenishing reserves, they have more freedom in what they can cook to replenish those reserves, players don't have to micro-manage their weight constantly, gaining and losing weight is intuitive, and gaining/losing weight is something done purposefully by the player rather than accidentally. In my opinion, starting out the game and hunting a pig near town then eating it to replenish your health reserves and gaining a ton of weight from that doesn't make any sense. Eating a sugary, buttery pie made with cream and sugar—or drinking a ton of beer to gain weight? I think that makes more sense.

*This would also have the added benefit of allowing more effects to be tied to food because most wouldn't be messing with weight, like expensive food that diminishes reserve loss rates, food that makes you gain/lose stats quicker (eat a lot of expertly-cooked meat and gain a bonus to gaining Strength for a few hours, for instance), food that gives you more protection from heat/cold for an hour, and so-on. People would have an incentive to carry around food and eat it.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
@Emdash Well the goal of survival games is to eat food. The goal of reserve system is not to eat. Eating is bad, only drink cooked water after resting or sink a lot of time to get grain or cabage on a spit.

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
Why does everyone want to lose weight by eating, just let me do some pushups.

I do think that actions our character takes should affect weight loss as well. A fighter that is going out swinging their weapon all day and running around should have a weight loss stat tied to it. A fat mage who sits on a horse all day and casts magic should have a much harder time losing weight since they aren't being very active.

I would like for prepared meals to be part of your adventures. You gear up and along with all of your equipment you pack a lunch to eat while you're out there using your reserves. At the end of the day you make it back to town and bank all of the loot you have and stop by the local tavern to have another meal (Could be a separate broker for foods or being able to place orders for tables/stools and feed everyone on you having the dish put on the table and everyone has to sit down to eat). Imagine you're just in town and you see a big group head into the tavern. You can follow them inside and ask them to tell you about their adventure and I'm sure you'll get some good stories out of everyone.

Reactions: Najwalaylah