Updates on Launch Day Issues

boru

Jan 28, 2022
good move. still sounds like massive queues for at least another week which is disappointing. just take the game down.

Reactions: Balinor

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
Looks like SV making more Myrland servers which is the best option right now. Even if they found a way to fit 10k players into one server the map would have been over populated an over contested to do anything.

If the server can hold 2k and they are making another server that holds 2k, there will still be massive, unconquerable queues. Assuming 1000 people are gonna stay in Haven once the second server opens (big assumption), that means anywhere between 2-5k people will still be waiting in a queue.

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020
On Feb 5, 2022 at 23:18, Henrik said on the Announcements section on Discord:

Dear Community,

The launch has been a struggle when it comes to handling the number of players on Myrland as you all know. We have a core vision of one world and have been working towards that for many years. Not having the ability to get real cases with the amount of players needed to progress in this field makes this a very time consuming step, and mostly, a big frustration for our players. It shouldn't feel as if our players who bought the game are testing this process. In this I have failed to make it work in an acceptable timeframe.

We have done several patches that have increased the overall stable population cap by 300-600 at a time and we are reaching decent numbers for Myrland, but not enough to support our 10k that want to play on Myrland now.

This means we have decided that we need to do what's necessary to make sure everyone can play directly. This means we will add additional continents, just as planned for future continents like Sarducaa etc, but it will be Myrland for now. You will be able to travel back and forth, as you do between different Haven instances now, and things will remain persistent with your character and guild status. However you will not be able to build on these extra Myrland continents, only on the main one.
This gives us headroom to continue our work on improving our continent's capacity. We are also working on our upcoming continents that will replace the extra Myrland continents whenever they are ready.

We need a few days until we can deploy these extra continents and let all of you in, and we will update you when we have the final day and time for this.

/Henrik Nyström and the Star Vault team.
@everyone

This needs to be stickied by a mod in the announcements section

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Dude i hope steam is going to grab SV from their neck and punch em in the belly. This is MO1 all over, same mistakes same negligent development same clueless wishy thinking shit. Shame on me for believing this time would be different.

They already knew they had a max number of players, they knew 30 people fights already is laggy, they knew about the login. Instead of promoting stress tests and giveaway content for the testers they didn't plan it through, stress tests are a fail and they use the launch as a stress test. To be honest they deserve to lose any population they have managed to retain this kind of behavior is naturalized in the gaming industry but it shouldn't.
It looks like SV needs to pull their head out of their ass and HIRE capable people to handle the development resources realistically and not with wishy thinking.

huh yeah, server can hold 100k...

huh maybe i didn't explain myself, server can handle 100k between haven, myrland and the people that can't play.

Im really surpriced how much of a stingy people SV is, when they should hire professionals to organize their strategy for achieving timeframes and goals, a quality assurance department that actually tests shit and so on. The only thing i see here, is bandaid after bandaid, half baked made shit after half baked made shit.

Not looking good, to be honest i was saving my 3 steam reviews till this shit got sorted out but after seeing these mf are so clueless i wanna pull the reviews right now and warn people not to have any expectations for this game whatsoever.

Reactions: Balinor

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
The way I read that announcement was that they do have the means to increase population cap on Myrland incrementally at a time. However, they're racing against time as the longer they take, the more players are upset.

I believe the additional Myrland instances are a temporary solution for now to allow as many players to log in and play. This will allow the poor, likely exhausted guys at SV to breathe a little easier (and get some sleep, who knows how long they've kept themselves awake at this point) while they patch Myrland server-side.

I'm fairly certain that the problem with Myrland right now is that it isn't equipped to handle 10k players, and there's only one instance of it. Whereas on Haven the common refrain I've been hearing from players is that they could log in with little or no waiting time.

Giving them benefit of the doubt, it appears that the population cap is something SV can solve, going by what they have said. They just need the time to make it happen. Having multiple instances of Myrland will buy them the time.

Rankor

May 28, 2020
Texas
www.youtube.com
The way I read that announcement was that they do have the means to increase population cap on Myrland incrementally at a time. However, they're racing against time as the longer they take, the more players are upset.

I believe the additional Myrland instances are a temporary solution for now to allow as many players to log in and play. This will allow the poor, likely exhausted guys at SV to breathe a little easier (and get some sleep, who knows how long they've kept themselves awake at this point) while they patch Myrland server-side.

I'm fairly certain that the problem with Myrland right now is that it isn't equipped to handle 10k players, and there's only one instance of it. Whereas on Haven the common refrain I've been hearing from players is that they could log in with little or no waiting time.

Giving them benefit of the doubt, it appears that the population cap is something SV can solve, going by what they have said. They just need the time to make it happen. Having multiple instances of Myrland will buy them the time.
Agreed.
Another blocker is how the login server is load balancing. If there was a way for several login servers to work together it may help with the Q. For example, I'm in Toxai. If there was a master login server sending requests to login servers handling different areas of the map, it may help.

OR, maybe I'm wrong...lol.

Psyop

Jan 29, 2022
Agreed.
Another blocker is how the login server is load balancing. If there was a way for several login servers to work together it may help with the Q. For example, I'm in Toxai. If there was a master login server sending requests to login servers handling different areas of the map, it may help.

OR, maybe I'm wrong...lol.

I think the issue is that the world can't handle the number of players, hence the queue.

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
If the server can hold 2k and they are making another server that holds 2k, there will still be massive, unconquerable queues. Assuming 1000 people are gonna stay in Haven once the second server opens (big assumption), that means anywhere between 2-5k people will still be waiting in a queue.
I've been in game a few time there is more than 2k players. From what I've seen running around it some were between 3-4k players in Myrland.

Psyop

Jan 29, 2022
Agreed to a point. Every section has a cap. Over the entire map, it can hold thousands but not everyone can be in just a few portions.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that while the world may be portioned into nodes with dedicated servers, there is a central coordinator for all the nodes and that's the bottleneck.

Reactions: Rankor

Rankor

May 28, 2020
Texas
www.youtube.com
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that while the world may be portioned into nodes with dedicated servers, there is a central coordinator for all the nodes and that's the bottleneck.
Yup....that is the main issue. The login stops all everyone because it cannot let X number of people into a certain area due to load.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Dude i hope steam is going to grab SV from their neck and punch em in the belly. This is MO1 all over, same mistakes same negligent development same clueless wishy thinking shit. Shame on me for believing this time would be different.

They already knew they had a max number of players, they knew 30 people fights already is laggy, they knew about the login. Instead of promoting stress tests and giveaway content for the testers they didn't plan it through, stress tests are a fail and they use the launch as a stress test. To be honest they deserve to lose any population they have managed to retain this kind of behavior is naturalized in the gaming industry but it shouldn't.
It looks like SV needs to pull their head out of their ass and HIRE capable people to handle the development resources realistically and not with wishy thinking.

huh yeah, server can hold 100k...

huh maybe i didn't explain myself, server can handle 100k between haven, myrland and the people that can't play.

Im really surpriced how much of a stingy people SV is, when they should hire professionals to organize their strategy for achieving timeframes and goals, a quality assurance department that actually tests shit and so on. The only thing i see here, is bandaid after bandaid, half baked made shit after half baked made shit.

Not looking good, to be honest i was saving my 3 steam reviews till this shit got sorted out but after seeing these mf are so clueless i wanna pull the reviews right now and warn people not to have any expectations for this game whatsoever.

If they add more Myrland instances, it could be a good thing. Unless you are an empire builder... heh. You want integrity and a fresh start, nobody is gonna be dragging their stax of ogh to the fake servers that they can't build in.

Rankor

May 28, 2020
Texas
www.youtube.com
Yup....that is the main issue. The login stops all everyone because it cannot let X number of people into a certain area due to load.
Here is how I imagine a fix. Once the client is handed off the sub login handles them from there. On logoff, the client tells the sub where it is at. If its in another area, the master assigns it to the next area. But I'm no network engineer so maybe this idea is all crap anyway...lol.

Jan 28, 2022
It's a good thing people can actually get to play the game now, but the main instance will still be over crowded i think, because that's where the building is on. People might still stubbornly queue there.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
On Feb 6, 2022 at 12:57, Robmo said on the Support Announcements section on Discord:

Title Screen Memory Leak/Resource Usage

The current title screen is not optimized. We recommend a few things to do while you are in queue if you want to save on resources. This can only be done before you are in the queue.

1. Lower graphic settings
2.Turn off DLSS
3. Lower Render Resolution Scaling
4. Change to windowed mode and a lower resolution

Again, at 11:26 Robmo said on the Community Announcements section on Discord:

Server Restarts

Currently server restarts only happen when they are being updated or critical errors occur. If this policy changes we will update the community.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I was in the Q all weekend and never even got close to being able to log in. I'll just wait for the new instances and see what happens.

yeme2. I wonder what " a few days " means in MOtime.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
On Feb 8, 2022 at 02:43, Henrik said on the Announcements section on Discord:

We want to give you an update that we are still working on highest priority to get the extra myrland continents deployed as soon as we can, we need a bit more time before we can test and confirm this and then push them live this week.

Again, at 05:15 Robmo said on the Community Announcements section on Discord:

Hello Mortals,

As the Dev team continues to finalize the instance Myrlands. There have been many questions on how some of the systems will work in relation to different instances. I have forwarded a handful of questions for Henrik and his team and wanted to share them with you. I want to make sure I have seen and covered all the bases. If there is a question I have missed, please feel free to let me know;

1. How many of these continents/instances are they planning to add?

2. How are we going to be able to travel between them?

3. Are we going to have the same banks, stables and trade broker as on the main continent or are they going to be separate?

4. Depending on the answer to the previous question, will we be able to trade resources between them?

5. Is there going to be resource or spawn balances to prevent market crashes and similar situations?

6. Will any of these new Myrlands be hosted in the NA? Or elsewhere?

7. When new continents, such as Sarducca, are released, what will happen to the instances?

8. Will travel between Myrlands be limited? Such as a cool-down?

9. With multiple Myrlands, will you be able to keep the servers stressed so you can identify issues/bottlenecks and make improvements?

10. Will the instances be referenced via an event or the lore?

11. Will the gameplay on the different Myrlands change?

12. Why have you decided to not allow building on the clones and only the main Myrland? Will you pause building on the main Myrland as well?

13. If a certain Myrland is full (such as the main one), will players still be able to opt into those instances and wait in a queue?

14. Will players be forced into a certain instance based on population?

15. Will the subscription model be active while the clone Myrlands exist?

Thank you everyone for your questions.

Again, at 06:46 Robmo said on the Support Announcements section on Discord:

Decoration Chest Bug

Hello,

Currently we are advising players not to use the "item chest" decoration in their houses. It is causing players to lose their items. Thank you.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Hey @Robmo if you could hook me up like I asked you in PM, ask the if they can make one of the instances more pvp friendly like boosted base rep and increased rep gain for parcels.

I guess that does fall under the will the gameplay on Myrlands change, but I foresee the answer to that being a simple NO. haha. Oh well. I would prefer it be asked as "COULD gameplay/ mechanics be adjusted" such as to create more pvp friendly instaces, mob spawn rate, other such-things.

Appreciate the look anyway @ gameplay differences, but I can already see where the answer is gonna be heh. Hopefully not tho!

Robmo

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 9, 2021
Hey @Robmo if you could hook me up like I asked you in PM, ask the if they can make one of the instances more pvp friendly like boosted base rep and increased rep gain for parcels.

I guess that does fall under the will the gameplay on Myrlands change, but I foresee the answer to that being a simple NO. haha. Oh well. I would prefer it be asked as "COULD gameplay/ mechanics be adjusted" such as to create more pvp friendly instaces, mob spawn rate, other such-things.

Appreciate the look anyway @ gameplay differences, but I can already see where the answer is gonna be heh. Hopefully not tho!
I do have a question about different gameplay in the instances however, I truly doubt they are going to do something like that. However, that info will come out when they finalized everything.