The biggest time waste ingame and how it affects the playerbase

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
The biggest time waste in this game, by far, is death.
Death when you are blue, is a little bit painful, but death as a red player is absolutely horrible.
After they removed the red priests outside of every town (which was the biggest mistake they ever did), it took you unironically upwards of 30 minutes to get geared up again. There are ways to circumvent this, which include building a stronghold, or a house next to someone else's stronghold, and im certain people in the comments will go on about these 2 ways, but , speaking for the average player, and for all the players that have quit the game upon seeing the massive time waste, wouldn't it be better to not be punished for playing a video game, by not being able to play the videogame?

So, let me rephrase that for a second.
If you die, you walk. I personally could care less about my gear, i care more about the half an hour it takes for me to be ready for another fight.
Imagine you're a guy, mid twenties, maybe thirties, like, you know, the target audience for this game? You get home from working an 8 hour shift, take a shower, make some food, spend some time with the family, and you have a whole lot of 1-2 hours left of game time in your day. Now imagine dying within the first 2 minutes and spending that one hour you have regearing. You'll quit! And most people quited.

StarVault needs to figure out a better punishment for criminals, right now, it is absolutely asenine.

Reactions: grendel

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
The only actual currency in an MMO for players is time. Gear has value only because it takes time to get new gear, gold only has value because it takes time to get more gold, etc etc.

Time is the only differentiator for any sort of hardcore game instead of an instant gratification arena or something.

Mortal is already only a quasi-full loot game due to trinkets, capes and skills not being lost on death. Convince me of a reason other than ‘being an adult sucks and is hard’ why it would be a a good idea to decrease the death penalty for anyone in this game?

Reactions: Esproc and Frelsa

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
The only actual currency in an MMO for players is time. Gear has value only because it takes time to get new gear, gold only has value because it takes time to get more gold, etc etc.

Time is the only differentiator for any sort of hardcore game instead of an instant gratification arena or something.

Mortal is already only a quasi-full loot game due to trinkets, capes and skills not being lost on death. Convince me of a reason other than ‘being an adult sucks and is hard’ why it would be a a good idea to decrease the death penalty for anyone in this game?

Lemme flip on exit lag for extreme posting.

I dunno if I agree in regards to Mortal. Juxtapose MO w/ BDO, which is a raw time almost an 'in tray' game. There are variations, but the best way to play is stuff it. You needed 'energy' to do things like gather mats, so what you would do if you really wanted to max out is... deplete your energy, afk gain it back while doing something profitable. That is true TIME currency. Nothing else is involved.

In MO, there is effort as well as time, and the resources are finite. There are also 'max gains,' meaning there are things you can do to get good gains for an hour, two hours, ten hours (I think? lol lemme know, 10 hour kids,) but it's not the same. If the extended gains don't drop off or aren't properly contested, the game economy breaks. It's actually pretty advanced. Worthy of a study, eyyy!

TIME SPENT ALIVE is the beginning. Time spent alive exerting effort = the currency. THIS IS THE REASON WE WOULD CHOOSE A GAME LIKE THIS over a Korean grindfest which, by your def, would be wayyy more hardcore. The worth of your play time comes down to the system you built/are using... so how you have your TC, etc. Most players aren't capable of doing this, which is why they quit or join a med-large guild. The game has way more competent peeveepee-ers than it does people who can actually get shit done or get a group of people to work together optimally. That's the actual game, if you are focused primarily on gains. Again, to go back to BDO simile, I'd play on the PVP server, which had a raw 50% drop bonus, but most people in the game calculated their gains based on GAINS PER HOUR, and they had all this dumb shit like timed loot scrolls, so... in the end, your gains likely would be lower on that server because you'd have to fight or move. MO doesn't have the balls to make the game open pvp outside of towns, but again, people with a proper set up can overcome these obstacles, including being red.

So the currency is actually time spent adjusted for the quality of the system. Most people just load up and zerg shit, which is highly inefficient. Might be fun, but it's def not max gainz. Imagine being a zergling and getting like a STEEL ARM or something every once in awhile. "Sad."

That being said, I think there should be more priests, and I think you should be able to spawn where you want to, as I've said before. People say... FAST TRAVEL?! But no... cuz you're only bringing your person there. THE ETHERWORLD is the biggest time sink in this game and from that, how the game handles death, priest type, having to res and walk naked w/e... it all stems from that.

If there were more spawns and SH's weren't allowed to have spawns (imo give keep spawns, and that's it?) Imagine how many fucking priests there are in this game w/ SHs... but if there were more spawns and no etherworld and you could just choose where you spawned, I think it would BE BETTER. Limiting where reds can spawn IS DUMB. IF anything, they need to make it so that there is a timer on being able to respawn at certain spots, depending on how much you die, and make it a bit more for reds, and make it increase the more you die. That would get rid of spawn griefing in general.

THEN DELETE THE FUCKING ETHERWORLD. Waste of resources, waste of time. They even turned it into a place you can farm. It's a joke. Nobody should have to physically move to a spawn spot. You get to beetlejuice in, but if you get derped out, you got a cooldown on spawning in that area. ONE spawn is not gonna break the game. If people are sieging your shit, just like late game league, you should have a longer timer to res. Right now, dudes can prol just spawn and regear like lil lemmings.

There are MANY advantages to holding a keep/SH, being able to infinite spawn should not be one of them, and outside of spawn griefing (as I said,) I don't see what can be gained by preventing "red players" from ressing or making them res in wack spots.

SV needs to DO THE KNOWLEDGE to a lot of this shit. Sad when it feels like I've thought more about this shit than they have, and mine are just passing ideas that run thru my head along with all of the other thoughts-of-life.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
The extra time it takes to get re-geared as a red is to ensure that those who decide to go down this path have an incentive to not die. It is meant to induce an adrenaline rush and the kind of careful planning that professional criminals like bank robbers, hitmen and the like usually have to take if they want to succeed and not get caught.

We had a relatively laxed red system in MO1 compared to MO2, and I can remember heaps of people over the years, both blue and red, say that this was bad and needed to change in order to create a more immersive and suitable environment where reds don't simply go away and then come back in 2 minutes after dying.

The whole point of removing red priests was so that red players need to have like-minded friends or at least some kind of understanding with guilds that owned keeps with a red priest. If they wanted to be able to resurrect quickly without the extended downtime that they would otherwise have to endure.

It's all about creating the sense that being a red is a dangerous and risky way of life, and it is meant to make them truly prepared and organised, more so than the average blue.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Death when you are blue, is a little bit painful, but death as a red player is absolutely horrible.
After they removed the red priests outside of every town (which was the biggest mistake they ever did), it took you unironically upwards of 30 minutes to get geared up again. There are ways to circumvent this, which include building a stronghold, or a house next to someone else's stronghold, and im certain people in the comments will go on about these 2 ways, but , speaking for the average player, and for all the players that have quit the game upon seeing the massive time waste, wouldn't it be better to not be punished for playing a video game, by not being able to play the videogame?

If you die, you walk. I personally could care less about my gear, i care more about the half an hour it takes for me to be ready for another fight.
Imagine you're a guy, mid twenties, maybe thirties, like, you know, the target audience for this game? You get home from working an 8 hour shift, take a shower, make some food, spend some time with the family, and you have a whole lot of 1-2 hours left of game time in your day. Now imagine dying within the first 2 minutes and spending that one hour you have regearing. You'll quit! And most people quited.

StarVault needs to figure out a better punishment for criminals, right now, it is absolutely asenine.

Lets be honest, most 20somethings are living at home and are unemployed college/university students or living at home with some kind of "disability" that prevents them from working a full time job.

backed up by this data.

Footwork

Dec 9, 2021
Dying is what it is Blue or Red. I agree that time is more valuable then gold. I don't mind the lack of red priests now that we have SH and such. But Cave Camp and Jungle Camp are LAWLESS cities. That means the priests should have no effect to reputation or whether they will resurrect a Criminal or Murderer. The game is really favoring a safer environment then a Hardcore one.

D

Dracu

One of my biggest gripes with this game is how little it respects players time. One of the reasons i quit. Its just to little action for time spend. And to little reward for time spend (depending on build and profession combo there are ofc differences...) the waiting times for extractions are silly for example, truly truly silly. Its not really about risk either cause majority of extractions is done in save areas.

And it showed that it doesnt matter, butchery turned instant... Did it destroy the game? No Did people complain about it? No Are ppl enjoying that change? Yes
.... Alright lers not do that for extraction (with the restriction to BF and GN

I honestly dont know why this wasting players time mechanics are ingame besides Henrik personally not caring and imagining this game as a second life for roleplayers. Thats how it comes off... atleast in my opinion.

Best way, quit the game, vote with wallet. Cause writing feedback on forums/discord etc, for sure aint doing anything, time proved that again and again.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020

Aside from all the other issues with the game, this is probably what made most of my guild quit, including me.

In MO1 I could look past all the bullshit, because everything was in a reasonable distance and I could just regear and get back to the fun.

With MO2, a lot of us were in our 20s and 30s and lots of differing time zones. We had Germans, Kiwis, Aussies, Irish, and ofc NA. There was a window where we could all be on between 7pm and 11pm my time. We would plan something for the night in discord before hand, then once everyone logged on we would quickly make sure everyone has the gear they need and then we would do whatever it was we planned. We were based out of Hyllspeia (not helping the situation i know). We would do Risar Dungeon, Spider Queen, etc. If we got in ONE fight and lost, or if we wiped in the buggy as fuck risar dungeon...then that was IT. Those 4 hours were gone just like that. It got to the point to where we couldn't even feel like we were progressing as a guild because it takes so damn long to do anything in the game. Its super unfun.

Like I said, I played MO1 for 10 years on and off. I remember guild mates could log in and meet you wherever you were within 10 minutes. Now, if you're group has already left to go somewhere, there's just no chance.

Tldr; yes the map is too fucking big (surprise surprise) and its all because Henrik wanted to stroke his ego and boast a massive MMO world just as he wanted to boast his 1000 player Mortal Royale.

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
Aside from all the other issues with the game, this is probably what made most of my guild quit, including me.

In MO1 I could look past all the bullshit, because everything was in a reasonable distance and I could just regear and get back to the fun.

With MO2, a lot of us were in our 20s and 30s and lots of differing time zones. We had Germans, Kiwis, Aussies, Irish, and ofc NA. There was a window where we could all be on between 7pm and 11pm my time. We would plan something for the night in discord before hand, then once everyone logged on we would quickly make sure everyone has the gear they need and then we would do whatever it was we planned. We were based out of Hyllspeia (not helping the situation i know). We would do Risar Dungeon, Spider Queen, etc. If we got in ONE fight and lost, or if we wiped in the buggy as fuck risar dungeon...then that was IT. Those 4 hours were gone just like that. It got to the point to where we couldn't even feel like we were progressing as a guild because it takes so damn long to do anything in the game. Its super unfun.

Like I said, I played MO1 for 10 years on and off. I remember guild mates could log in and meet you wherever you were within 10 minutes. Now, if you're group has already left to go somewhere, there's just no chance.

Tldr; yes the map is too fucking big (surprise surprise) and its all because Henrik wanted to stroke his ego and boast a massive MMO world just as he wanted to boast his 1000 player Mortal Royale.
So, uh, the game you wanted to play is called World of Warcraft and someone else already made it. That’s the one where you gear up and progress through content as a guild….

You don’t saunter over to run a dungeon with buds in a functioning PvP sandbox game, sorry.

• Sad
Reactions: Gnidex

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
So, uh, the game you wanted to play is called World of Warcraft and someone else already made it. That’s the one where you gear up and progress through content as a guild….

You don’t saunter over to run a dungeon with buds in a functioning PvP sandbox game, sorry.
Oh shit. Never heard of that. I'll have to tell my mates about it so we can make another RP guild and only run dungeons because we definitely don't indulge in PvP because that's what mean people do.

Reactions: Gnidex and Rynnik
D

Dracu

Just fyi, Henrik, on stream, a couple weeks ago, said "We are looking at extraction timers". fwiw.
Thanks for that info. Lets see in how many years we get a 10% Faster extraction cladegift... Or something xD Afterall Henrik said boats are coming after carts... And carts were hyped by henrik in alpha... Once i see the patchnotes with that change i believe it.

Reactions: Gnidex

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Thanks for that info. Lets see in how many years we get a 10% Faster extraction cladegift... Or something xD Afterall Henrik said boats are coming after carts... And carts were hyped by henrik in alpha... Once i see the patchnotes with that change i believe it.

trust me, my dood, while I sit there in MO I'm sending in bug-report feedback/suggestion messages like CONSIDER EXTRACTION TIMERS. If that makes them mad, then they can be mad for not listening to feedback in other places. Just like if you submit enough tickets, eventually discord will respond. LOL. I imagine dude trying to sleep and his phone keeps buzzing. Nah, but... fuckem.

Vote with your wallet is true, but there is also a level of respect they have to show a paying customer. I am willing to fight for that respect, even if no one else is. Cuz I can type SUPERFAST and be SUPERANNOYING.

I worked hard carving out my forum persona! Too bad everyone prol thinks I am a dickhead in life hah.

owell peace buds. MO at 100 ping wew. Pretty cool. SV: send a courtesy e-mail when you get the content up to date.

SEND ME A POSTCARD.

Reactions: Dracu

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
to OP
Waste of time is pretty much the only punishment left for red players. The parcel runs and removal of red priest near towns, and bounty system is the only thing that makes people think twice about murder counts.

Remove those and you might as well remove murder counts altogether.

Most red players by the way just get a guild mate to res them in town. But yes if you dont have that it does suck.

Reactions: Frelsa

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
trust me, my dood, while I sit there in MO I'm sending in bug-report feedback/suggestion messages like CONSIDER EXTRACTION TIMERS. If that makes them mad, then they can be mad for not listening to feedback in other places. Just like if you submit enough tickets, eventually discord will respond. LOL. I imagine dude trying to sleep and his phone keeps buzzing. Nah, but... fuckem.

Vote with your wallet is true, but there is also a level of respect they have to show a paying customer. I am willing to fight for that respect, even if no one else is. Cuz I can type SUPERFAST and be SUPERANNOYING.

I worked hard carving out my forum persona! Too bad everyone prol thinks I am a dickhead in life hah.

owell peace buds. MO at 100 ping wew. Pretty cool. SV: send a courtesy e-mail when you get the content up to date.

SEND ME A POSTCARD.

Unfortunately they dont get text alerts to their phones for tickets... and if they did you can disable this function by placing your phone face down on some phones with the correct settings. It is the "do not disturb" function, mine is set like that after 2200 and till 0600.

And lastly... I agree, the extraction timers are painfully long on somethings for no good reason. It takes less time to butcher 100 stacks of campadon, then it does to smelt 1 stack of blood ore into pig iron.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
to OP
Waste of time is pretty much the only punishment left for red players. The parcel runs and removal of red priest near towns, and bounty system is the only thing that makes people think twice about murder counts.

Remove those and you might as well remove murder counts altogether.

Most red players by the way just get a guild mate to res them in town. But yes if you dont have that it does suck.

Or use exploited gold to throw up a dozen strongholds with priests in them around nearby towns.

Reactions: Jackdstripper

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Just get 4 accounts like the game is intended to be played and offline burn the murdercounts. Works like a charm for me. :ROFLMAO:

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
Its funny, in a game like this, you think it would be the blueberries constantly whining, but it turns out its the reds.