The biggest time waste ingame and how it affects the playerbase

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Its both... thats the problem.

Been on a lot of forums, and def MO playerbase has a lot of 'unique voices.' haha. Not only are there common themes, but, further, there are some really smart people here. There are some really smart unstable people (ahem,) and really smart more 'voice of reason' types. Someone always comes in with the WoW stuff, they come in with the U THINK U KNOW BETTER THAN THE DEVS? But honestly, they could MOSTLY fix the game in 1 patch. That's the eternal FURY of most of the 'whiners.'

At least 1 good faith patch to show they were moving truly in the right direction. Like I said (and people before me said, and Dracu said again,) they made butchery a 'fill circle' timer. Nothing changed. Prol why most people are in animats. The game is massive duped and you see fewer people in steel than you did MO1 pre TC haha. EVEN THO a lot of things changed, like Bakti having a furnace, etc... sab nodes sprinkled here and there, enough to get some powder at least. The game is easy mode, but it's turned into a grind fest.

For instance, all the shit my friend and I built is gonna fall TO TAXES because I don't have the energy to grind up the lores he had specced. I got stax in houses w/ no one to process them. It makes me nauseous to think of speccing back into extraction and then waiting it out. I have a little bit of pull to the game... like nooo it can't end like this, but... haha.

Again: yea, there is major wonk. It isn't fair w/ EU/NA. There is cheating. However, the core of the game (minus all the missing content) is 'good enough' to play for free. However, it's just a slog.

Tell me I'm wrong that they didn't turn MO into a grind fest. People who camped trinks day1 are still feasting. People who camped flux are feasting, etc.

*The one thing an open pvp sandbox should not be is grindy.* <--- my repeating thesis statement.

Sure, people need to mine, people need to gather, people need to farm, but grind on top of that? Grind locked content? Unbelievable. The single biggest waste... and the biggest mistake MO made was making the game more grindy. The grind is MENTAL: facing adversity and overcoming. Test of will. They added protections to make less 'will' required and tried to compensate for it with... grind.

PS: I'm not a red. I've never been red IN MY LIFE. I've def messed w/ people, rather thru words or actions tho, sandbox style... heh.

Again, the grind... the carrot on the end of a long stick will inspire some players for awhile. Eventually, it will defeat the player base. I, for one, do not want MO2 to 'die;' however, it would be breaking from theory and the history of games I've played and seen it happen for it to not collapse with this 'model.' And we're not even at sub yet. Haha, you really can run 3+ accts no worries, and that does kinda help.

I still think the goals in a sandbox should be influencing the world (some people call it control, but there are other ways to influence,) and involving yourself in the unfolding history of the game. That the goals are like... let's farm for this book or let's minmax our gold per hour... it's just bad mojo. Not to mention there are arguably already too many ways to make money, so they cannot properly be contested.

But ye, it's salty. The part I don't understand is, other than the people who put in the grind at the appropriate times (events, bugs,) who really likes this model? Who asked for this?

Reactions: Hodo

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Lets face it everything in game is a time waste. The biggest out of game timewaste is to post on the forums expecting the devs to change anything.

Outside of Herius I dont think any devs ever look at these forums.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Lets face it everything in game is a time waste. The biggest out of game timewaste is to post on the forums expecting the devs to change anything.

haha I'm always saying I'm gonna stop posting then not... but, actually, raging on the forums is very therapeutic (for me.) I can walk out with my head held high. I suggest everyone start their day with a rage post on MOFO and track the difference in their life :p

I'm gonna try to keep my taxes paid out a month + and we'll see what happens.

But yeah, expecting change, making thoughtful suggestions OK, that's dead, but just like MANNN. I dunno. I really wanna make an extraction post, and I might, despite knowing better.

I still don't agree that people don't peek tho. I mean, I don't think Henrik is that different than me (in that aspect,) and there's no way he doesn't peek.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Games like MO usually go for the niche of targeting older players who have money and have a lot of time to play games, which isn't a ton of people. There are people who are just really into playing video games as a hobby, neets, and retired people

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
One of my biggest gripes with this game is how little it respects players time. One of the reasons i quit. Its just to little action for time spend. And to little reward for time spend (depending on build and profession combo there are ofc differences...) the waiting times for extractions are silly for example, truly truly silly. Its not really about risk either cause majority of extractions is done in save areas.

And it showed that it doesnt matter, butchery turned instant... Did it destroy the game? No Did people complain about it? No Are ppl enjoying that change? Yes
.... Alright lers not do that for extraction (with the restriction to BF and GN

I honestly dont know why this wasting players time mechanics are ingame besides Henrik personally not caring and imagining this game as a second life for roleplayers. Thats how it comes off... atleast in my opinion.

Best way, quit the game, vote with wallet. Cause writing feedback on forums/discord etc, for sure aint doing anything, time proved that again and again.

Yeah I used to do a lot of mining and forging. But I think it is fundamentally not fun in this game. Step one is click R on a big rock and afk for 6-8 minutes. This is always done tabbed out of afk. Step two is crushing ore, sit and wait two minutes per stack. Third step is extractor, again. Then oven for coke, oven for melting, refining oven X amount of times.

Reactions: Dracu

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
Yeah I used to do a lot of mining and forging. But I think it is fundamentally not fun in this game. Step one is click R on a big rock and afk for 6-8 minutes. This is always done tabbed out of afk. Step two is crushing ore, sit and wait two minutes per stack. Third step is extractor, again. Then oven for coke, oven for melting, refining oven X amount of times.
You need special talent to develop a gameplay loop consisting of mostly standing there doing nothing.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

CistaCista

Mar 13, 2022
And why should they. The ten people complaining on the forum only represent 10 people. They don't represent me.

I am happy with most game mechanics, I am happy with the time penalty when dying, I am happy with the time investment traveling etc. It is what gives the game texture, presents you with hard and meaningful choices.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
You need special talent to develop a gameplay loop consisting of mostly standing there doing nothing.
That's not the loop per se. It's just part of it. It's something anyone can do. That's why I say gran is the official currency of MO. I can enjoy mining. Haha, you can 'perfect' it, too, just like anything else. I got good timing for bandaids or ticks or w/e. The tabbed part is slightly concerning, but finding every node, switching before it goes under 100... it's not so bad. The thing is, since that is such a time sink and you are so vulnerable (even if someone doesn't raw PK you, there is almost 0 chance to defend your pack animal if someone wants to long-game deplete you) in most cases (tho you can mine full nodes in town. lool, I remem dude saying HENRIK SEZ NO MINING IN TOWN AFTER RELEASE. It's like oh ok. haha.)

Why, then, must you be gated by more time sinks? Time sinks that, since it's MO2, aren't as vulnerable. Maybe in the MO theoretical loop, people are meant to bring back ore for their 'guild processor,' and that's why I think not only should extraction times be reduced, but they should be reduced drastically when it comes to processing multiple stacks. There is no need for a second time sink. But yea, I can mine all day. You wanna know what is AIDS, fucking chopping wood.

Shout to @Lufan "I wanna buy wood, and I want a bulk discount!" haha. He was like quote me on 20, 50, 100 firmwood. I was like uhh, I'll get you 20 stax for 1000g. I def did not wanna do that, but I still don't think my bid was 'bad' given how much time it would take to get that, and what I could be doing otherwise, and the fact that I'd actually PRIORITIZE IT.

Mining is boring, but it's easy. Gains add up fast. I ran into some guys at Jungle Camp from Bakti MO1, and one of them was in PAI, and I remember talking to him back-when and he was like ahh, yeah, I gotta butch 100 stacks (or whatever, back when it had a timer,) it's like BLEEE. You sir are a great man! He is tho. HE KNOWS WHO HE IS. :eek:

There's just no reason. lol, it legit seems like the most efficient way to get it in w/ rock is to put down a porta, mine and just load it in straight out. That's fucked.

But it's far from the only ridic grind. The new player grind, esp clading, is super offensive. You don't start people off hard grinding. THAT'S WHY... THE GAME... IS GOING...TO DIE.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
That's not the loop per se. It's just part of it. It's something anyone can do. That's why I say gran is the official currency of MO. I can enjoy mining. Haha, you can 'perfect' it, too, just like anything else. I got good timing for bandaids or ticks or w/e. The tabbed part is slightly concerning, but finding every node, switching before it goes under 100... it's not so bad. The thing is, since that is such a time sink and you are so vulnerable (even if someone doesn't raw PK you, there is almost 0 chance to defend your pack animal if someone wants to long-game deplete you) in most cases (tho you can mine full nodes in town. lool, I remem dude saying HENRIK SEZ NO MINING IN TOWN AFTER RELEASE. It's like oh ok. haha.)

Why, then, must you be gated by more time sinks? Time sinks that, since it's MO2, aren't as vulnerable. Maybe in the MO theoretical loop, people are meant to bring back ore for their 'guild processor,' and that's why I think not only should extraction times be reduced, but they should be reduced drastically when it comes to processing multiple stacks. There is no need for a second time sink. But yea, I can mine all day. You wanna know what is AIDS, fucking chopping wood.

Shout to @Lufan "I wanna buy wood, and I want a bulk discount!" haha. He was like quote me on 20, 50, 100 firmwood. I was like uhh, I'll get you 20 stax for 1000g. I def did not wanna do that, but I still don't think my bid was 'bad' given how much time it would take to get that, and what I could be doing otherwise, and the fact that I'd actually PRIORITIZE IT.

Mining is boring, but it's easy. Gains add up fast. I ran into some guys at Jungle Camp from Bakti MO1, and one of them was in PAI, and I remember talking to him back-when and he was like ahh, yeah, I gotta butch 100 stacks (or whatever, back when it had a timer,) it's like BLEEE. You sir are a great man! He is tho. HE KNOWS WHO HE IS. :eek:

There's just no reason. lol, it legit seems like the most efficient way to get it in w/ rock is to put down a porta, mine and just load it in straight out. That's fucked.

But it's far from the only ridic grind. The new player grind, esp clading, is super offensive. You don't start people off hard grinding. THAT'S WHY... THE GAME... IS GOING...TO DIE.
Henrik and Seb have said a lot of things.. like.

-No legacy items after release, we wont have items added one patch that will get nerfed later and the items added prior to the patch will remain OP... Trinkets.

-The server has the capability of handling 100,000 players. Yet stumbles at the sight of 1.5k... and dies at the sight of 2k.

-There will be no latency issues with our ping normalization tech. Yet you can EASILY see a ping advantage and disadvantage, not to mention a whole region locked out of the game now due to high ping.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
And why should they. The ten people complaining on the forum only represent 10 people. They don't represent me.

I am happy with most game mechanics, I am happy with the time penalty when dying, I am happy with the time investment traveling etc. It is what gives the game texture, presents you with hard and meaningful choices.

Give it some time. The thrill of wasting 1 hour a day crushing ore and 1 hour traveling, etc, 'cool' at first since it's different and new. Very quickly gets old after the 100th time you've done it

Reactions: Dracu

Contorto

Feb 18, 2022
Give it some time. The thrill of wasting 1 hour a day crushing ore and 1 hour traveling, etc, 'cool' at first since it's different and new. Very quickly gets old after the 100th time you've done it
Sounds like a you problem. If you want constant non stop action 24/7 you shouldn't be playing an MMORPG, maybe try the new call of duty game.

Contorto

Feb 18, 2022
true, having a job is a me problem. Too bad not everyone wants to be single, unemployed and play video games all day
Lol you act like I'm single, unemployed and play video games all day. Maybe if you spend less time make up BS excuses for yourself and blaming others you'd have a better life guy, but sure throw a pity party for yourself, but news flash no one gives a shit.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
true, having a job is a me problem. Too bad not everyone wants to be single, unemployed and play video games all day

System building, like I said. It's nerfed due to SV-added grind, ye, but you gotta love the 'work' part, too. And set it up so that it's not 'work.' That's just real.

THIS IS GONNA SOUND BOGUS, but most people who are talking about having a busy life put more time into gaming than most people with busy lives. Like... I bet you have more hours than me, ez. And I don't even have a guild of people to support me.

My 'main' char... like the char I actually do things on other than craft... has 570hr. She has been alive since before release, and I've done all sorts of shit, 100% transport rate of heavy mats.

I did quit for awhile, tho. I've def put in some long days. Like, before I deleted my YouTube I was legit uploading almost everything I did in game for awhile, just for luls. The character I signed up for MO with and put in beta work has like 850hr.

If you wanna have a big guild, or be a huge contributing member, hold a keep or SH(s), yeah, some people need to be on a lot, but I know people who play all fucking day and no doubt they have a lot more shit than me, but it's not even close to equal to the 'extra' time they spent. It's really mindset. That's why I was bigsad that nobody wanted to roll w/ me. Not even Jeff fakn Dumpster. Everyone turns into a grinder when they get on this game, but it's not necessary at ALL. The game is soft. The upkeep is soft. It helps that I think a lot of the group content is FUCKING WACK.

Like after me and my boy took that steel set off a Brig guy during the Halloween GY event, he put it on and was sitting there (tbh trollin, but lol new Bakti,) and this guy that hangs around the beach all day threw up 25 stacks of reptile carp in trade window. It's like... (arnold voice) you must be very proud of yourself.

The best part of MO2 is how little investment you really need once you are specced/set up. Everyone playing game of thrones or w/e is derping themselves out. The game is in no way built for that atm. We can only hope it will be at some point (and the just have fun playstyle will still be as effective), but I'm surprised at the amount of people who wouldn't just go around and fuck w/ people. The only dude who did that w/ me was oykd. But then I quit and left him hanging, when I came back, dude was dun.

That's some KNOWLEDGE from yaboy. Dudes can't have it both ways and be like I have these (grandiose goals,) but I don't wanna play. In the same way that their gains/influence did not outstrip mine, your fun will not, either, if you put mad hours in. People be like ye... but Emdash u just a shit tier... but... am I? :eek:

And I'd prol still fuck w/ the game if I didn't have to respec to play tru dolo. Or if I had some people who wanted to just have fun and laugh at the memes of MO. This is a v low investment MMO in comparison to prol every other game on the market. But if you invest heavily, you gotta pay for it. That's why I told dudes I'll help ya, but don't count on me cuz I'm gonna be A. doing what I feel like most of the time unless it's v important and B. playing when I feel like it.

You dudes legit fucked up your mindset. I had a lot of fun in MO2, so much that I didn't mind pounding rock or w/e from time to time. BUT if you play the game as it 'is designed' you are gonna either need to get a minifridge or you're gonna end up burnt and bored, cuz scraping the bottom gets old after awhile. SPOILER: there's nothing THERE.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Double post, then I'm gonna stop spamming you dudes; this is for AC, not trying to put you on blast at all. Sorry if it came off like that.

My point is... what is the biggest adversary in the game? To me, it's grind. Thus, I wanted to base my play style and 'system' on mitigating grind so that most time can be spent just doing whatever. Adding more cogs into that would have made it even more expansive and easier, but not everyone is built like that. People get zerged and are mad cuz they are good, but really who cares? It's just a part of the game.

I know most of you dudes complaining about the grind already have mad shit. Probably have stuff like... Risar books, necro books, spirit books, etc etc etc. Could just go from here on out w/ low effort, getting fights, interacting with people, trying your hand at whatever spot. V v v minimal investment.

But nobody wants that, and I think it's weird... because like I said, that's the biggest complaint, right? Why grief yourself when you could just have fun? Let go of your ego, whatever, just enjoy what is always gonna be there... which is a kinda janky but at most times interesting first person game with open pvp. If you got goals of thousand dollar books or whatever, put it on the back burner, it'll come.

Again, nobody plays 'casual' like that, but why not? What could be more fun than not giving a fuck and just going in? Then, when you are done, field log. lol. I was willing to put all my intellect on making the game as easy as possible for as many people as possible, or at least as fun, cuz some people enjoy doing things you might not think are 'easy.' MADNESS I say. O well, enjoy.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Sounds like a you problem. If you want constant non stop action 24/7 you shouldn't be playing an MMORPG, maybe try the new call of duty game.

So I get where AC is coming from, but I also get where you are coming from, even though you are coming across like a complete elitist prick. I know because I used to say the exact same thing.

I dont make steel because of the time grind in doing it, which is easily 5 times as long as ANY other material in the game. I can make cuprum maces in 1/4th the time of a steel sword. I am talking from nothing to refined material and then the finished product. Now you could say, and I do this personally, "You dont have to make the metal yourself you can just buy it." Well some people dont want to be reliant on others for something like that. While again I dont do that myself, I can understand it.

There is a reason why my main is a fat mage with taming. Because nothing I use has to be made of steel or any metal for that matter.

There is a reason why my second toon is a melee toon who uses clubs. Because I can make them out of cuprum or incisium and be just as effective. I can wear plate out of pansar carapace and ironfur which is just as good as steel and 1/8th the cost in time and effort.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Lol you act like I'm single, unemployed and play video games all day. Maybe if you spend less time make up BS excuses for yourself and blaming others you'd have a better life guy, but sure throw a pity party for yourself, but news flash no one gives a shit.

Didn't say you were, but I agree it was somewhat implied. My point is that not everyone wants to waste 1 hour a day waiting for the 'extraction timer' to finish while doing absolutely nothing. It's not fun, it serves no purpose. It's literally just a complete waste of time. I have no clue why anyone defends it

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
Didn't say you were, but I agree it was somewhat implied. My point is that not everyone wants to waste 1 hour a day waiting for the 'extraction timer' to finish while doing absolutely nothing. It's not fun, it serves no purpose. It's literally just a complete waste of time. I have no clue why anyone defends it
It use to serve a purpose in MO1 when you could be attacked in town and have your processed materials stolen. Mo2 has really over increased the guard presence unfortunately, making towns too safe.

Reactions: Rynnik

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
It use to serve a purpose in MO1 when you could be attacked in town and have your processed materials stolen. Mo2 has really over increased the guard presence unfortunately, making towns too safe.
This.

It is defensible because the design is SUPPOSED to be a vulnerability window.

In a heathy PVP sandbox there needs to be vulnerability throughout the procurement chain. If miners are the only ones taking risk and once it is banked by them the materials are ‘Safe’ until lost by an end user the system is out of balance. Ideally (especially in a limited skill point system) the processor and crafter also have vulnerability and risk to contend with.

That is the swing and miss of SVs current extraction timers. You could probably pull them for now. Ideally though the game would best be served by revamping everything to ensure people can disrupt more than just the miners/ gatherers though as that is a lot of missed opportunities for PvP content.

Reactions: CherryKush