So let me get this right...

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
What do you mean? Any MA with 100+ hours and half a brain would see you charging the beam and just get into your blind spot, knowing that you can't turn your horse to counteract that, and beam is not precast so you can't charge it, turn, and cast. And if you're at tlash range, a good MA will never miss and shoot several arrows at you while you're charging it.

Clearly he has no idea what he's doing talking about. Charging the laser for 8 seconds while keeping it on your target while riding a horse and not being shot once is incredibly hard.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Clearly he has no idea what he's doing talking about. Charging the laser for 8 seconds while keeping it on your target while riding a horse and not being shot once is incredibly hard.
Its not hard, any average FPS player can do that. And you only need it to be on target for the last part.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
Its not hard, any average FPS player can do that. And you only need it to be on target for the last part.
Even omitting the fact that no FPS player can beat a camera that doesn't allow him to look back 180 degrees where the opponent is, it's still much easier with a bow which gives you the time to aim and you can choose the precise time to shoot. It's not hitscan but it doesn't really matter with a target as big as a horse - i suck at FPS but rarely horses with a bow. And i think most of us come from RPG games, not FPS.

Reactions: CrgHck

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Real Talk. What's the alternative to MA when it comes to ganking people? I've literally never been killed by anyone who wasn't an MA. I've had a few people try to sneak up behind me and melee me, but I can hear you take out your sword from a mile a way and by the time you swing I am already on my horse and gone

Hmm... not sure but depends on where you are. I have never been killed by a MA solo, even when I had my dex mage a MA could not kill me. Everyone that has killed me has had to get on foot to do it because well, horses are soft as hell.

Here are some of the more common "gank" tactics in MO2.

Use a mount to close distance quickly, the build generally does not have archery or MA maxed or near it (not enough points). They only use the bow to kill the targets mount to get them on foot.

Then they move away to hide their horse so it doesnt die, and they run down the target on foot, generally because they are either one of 2 builds. A Oghmir lean or fit or a Stout Veela with the archery clades for the ability to use a 110+ strength bow and the 25 free archery skill points.

Once on foot they are able with ease to run down most builds in game with their 2 handed swords and spam click them down all the while wearing full plate of some type. Usually Molarium if in the north, or Reptile if in the south.

The "MA" is nothing more than a means to disable your ability to run away. As most people are riding around on sub level 100 mounts with between 100-200hp. Which means a 110+ str asym bow will hit for 70+ against a naked horse and 2-3 shots and that horse is dead with ease. This is without any real skill in Archery or Mounted Archery. If the person has those skills maxed it is not uncommon to see weak spot hits of 100+ with a good longbow or asym bow.

Mounted archery is just a tool in their arsenal and most people assume that is the primary form of killing. When in fact pure MAs are rarely able to kill anyone on foot unless that person stands still or runs in a straight line in an open field.

Reactions: Tashka

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022

Considering you cant turn that horse during that WHOLE casting time which would mean you have to hope your target is in the 270 deg arc you can hope to hit them in while remaining in range. It is good if you're chasing, not so much if you're being chased.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
Hmm... not sure but depends on where you are. I have never been killed by a MA solo, even when I had my dex mage a MA could not kill me. Everyone that has killed me has had to get on foot to do it because well, horses are soft as hell.

Here are some of the more common "gank" tactics in MO2.

Use a mount to close distance quickly, the build generally does not have archery or MA maxed or near it (not enough points). They only use the bow to kill the targets mount to get them on foot.

Then they move away to hide their horse so it doesnt die, and they run down the target on foot, generally because they are either one of 2 builds. A Oghmir lean or fit or a Stout Veela with the archery clades for the ability to use a 110+ strength bow and the 25 free archery skill points.

Once on foot they are able with ease to run down most builds in game with their 2 handed swords and spam click them down all the while wearing full plate of some type. Usually Molarium if in the north, or Reptile if in the south.

The "MA" is nothing more than a means to disable your ability to run away. As most people are riding around on sub level 100 mounts with between 100-200hp. Which means a 110+ str asym bow will hit for 70+ against a naked horse and 2-3 shots and that horse is dead with ease. This is without any real skill in Archery or Mounted Archery. If the person has those skills maxed it is not uncommon to see weak spot hits of 100+ with a good longbow or asym bow.

Mounted archery is just a tool in their arsenal and most people assume that is the primary form of killing. When in fact pure MAs are rarely able to kill anyone on foot unless that person stands still or runs in a straight line in an open field.

I actually have to admit I agree with this, but your horse is dead meat to an MA. And once the MM is without his horse it is footfighter vs solo mage. Good luck.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
I actually have to admit I agree with this, but your horse is dead meat to an MA. And once the MM is without his horse it is footfighter vs solo mage. Good luck.

The way balance is currently...
MA is king of PVE this includes killing mounts and pets.
MC is second at PVE
MM third... That casting time and limited arc of fire kills them in PVE.

The roles quickly change once they are on foot. It then becomes...
Melee is king on foot.
Archery is second and basically ok against everything but the heaviest armored target.
Magic is still a support role, the limited range and casting time really hurts them as they stand now.

To be quite frank necromancy isnt going to change that role much for mages, yes they will be able to move but their magic is such short ranged that at that point it will be a secondary ability for hybrid builds anyway.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
The way balance is currently...
MA is king of PVE this includes killing mounts and pets.
MC is second at PVE
MM third... That casting time and limited arc of fire kills them in PVE.

The roles quickly change once they are on foot. It then becomes...
Melee is king on foot.
Archery is second and basically ok against everything but the heaviest armored target.
Magic is still a support role, the limited range and casting time really hurts them as they stand now.

To be quite frank necromancy isnt going to change that role much for mages, yes they will be able to move but their magic is such short ranged that at that point it will be a secondary ability for hybrid builds anyway.
Not to mention Necromancy hardly have any spells you can cast on mount either.

MM will require schools like the staff school to be more of a thing, but i'm also not looking forward to that.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Even omitting the fact that no FPS player can beat a camera that doesn't allow him to look back 180 degrees where the opponent is, it's still much easier with a bow which gives you the time to aim and you can choose the precise time to shoot. It's not hitscan but it doesn't really matter with a target as big as a horse - i suck at FPS but rarely horses with a bow. And i think most of us come from RPG games, not FPS.
I havent ever been killed by a mounted mage in MO2, mages are a joke compared to archers and those who deny it are just tripping. MMs used to be a thing in MO1 but here it's just fucking meh.
By the time a mage casts a spell i've already put 3-4 arrows on he's head and probably cancelled whatever the fuck they tried to cast, then start hitting the horse and while they try to heal put some dmg on the mage and alternate between mage-horse and they would be dead in a few minutes. I did kill quite a few mounted mages, not many played really well but they all died.

Mounted mages used to be a thing in MO1 with a fat ass giant lykiator that would jump really high, and have a lot of blunt mitigation, oh that magic times lyks gained stam in 2nd going faster than top tier horses.

MA vs MM was extremely more balanced in MO1 than it is now, and back then it wasn't really that balanced at all. But just to compare it to the current design tho.

I'm not sure what's up with shmerrik if he's in funny mode or he really doesn't remember MMs in MO1, because now they are shit.

Not really a debate, it's a matter of looking MM PVP videos of MO1 and reaching to the conclussion it was better back then. Damn people complained a lot about MMs back then, the tears lol. The times footys would try and run from MMs lol.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
The reality is mages have way better chances on foot against MAs by the fact they are not running on one direction at constant speed while casting a few secs spells. Most of the times i've killed MMs with my MA it's because they tried to fight me on mount, and thats just a really hard thing to pull out.
Generally a golden rule for the mage is to dismount to output horse dmg and thats usually the remedy against MAs who have to relocate if they don't wanna lose their horse.

Then it's GG if You don't have a fast sheevra cuz if You can't outrun You can just get stickied to death, no concentration will be enough for your spells getting interrumped.

So theres really 1 viable MM and thats the non bulging sheevra, all others builds are gimped even tho they have other advantages.

Best thing an MA can do is mercy their víctim being mounted, thats how you secure a kill.

Reactions: Hodo

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Not to mention Necromancy hardly have any spells you can cast on mount either.

MM will require schools like the staff school to be more of a thing, but i'm also not looking forward to that.

So with staff magic does this mean the return of the golden rod of doom from horseback? Mounted charge at full speed swing and hit them for 300+ damage with your magic rod.