Rep still doesn't go far enough.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Haven't hung out in Fab much, but someone explain to me why there are 0 guards on the long path between Fab and the GY, and then (from what I can tell), not guards in the GY as well?

Went there yesterday just poking around, was killed by three rpks, walked back after rezzing and saw them just attacking every single person walking out from or back from the GY, with 0 punishment.

Saw that there was a patch note saying there was increased city security, walked back there, still 0 guards, and 3 TeamRocket standing out front, who drew weapons on me but put them away when they saw I was naked.

What is the point of a punishing rep system if people who are completely KOS in a region can just stand outside the GY of that region and kill every single person (mostly noobs) with no repercussions? I thought Lictors were added to GY, was that only in some areas?

It's especially bad that Haven conditions people to think that the Fab looking town is safe and that the GY is the starting area, then in Myrland it's a murder pit with Kran as the neighbor.

I don't think the rep system need any more tweaking if areas intended to be relatively safe have 0 guards in them still, at this point, 2 weeks before release.

Reactions: Rolufe and Nefnate

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
It's probably too late now but yeah guards are really inconsistent. Sometimes you can kill a player in the middle of town without guards attacking you. And sometimes you can kill a player like half a mile away from town and a guard will run out of the woods and kill you

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
And yeah on release graveyards will be camped and controlled by guilds. So yeah noobs trying to kill zombies or bandits are in for a rough time if they leave haven within the first few weeks

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
Yeah because the road to 20 glade gifts should be killing 50 000 slow ass zombies without any risk of PvP. That should bring some positive steam reviews.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Yeah because the road to 20 glade gifts should be killing 50 000 slow ass zombies without any risk of PvP. That should bring some positive steam reviews.

I mean probably less negative reviews than going to a zombie or bandit camp and getting clapped by twenty players instantly. Basically locking new players without a guild out of the game

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
Haven't hung out in Fab much, but someone explain to me why there are 0 guards on the long path between Fab and the GY, and then (from what I can tell), not guards in the GY as well?

Went there yesterday just poking around, was killed by three rpks, walked back after rezzing and saw them just attacking every single person walking out from or back from the GY, with 0 punishment.

Saw that there was a patch note saying there was increased city security, walked back there, still 0 guards, and 3 TeamRocket standing out front, who drew weapons on me but put them away when they saw I was naked.

What is the point of a punishing rep system if people who are completely KOS in a region can just stand outside the GY of that region and kill every single person (mostly noobs) with no repercussions? I thought Lictors were added to GY, was that only in some areas?

It's especially bad that Haven conditions people to think that the Fab looking town is safe and that the GY is the starting area, then in Myrland it's a murder pit with Kran as the neighbor.

I don't think the rep system need any more tweaking if areas intended to be relatively safe have 0 guards in them still, at this point, 2 weeks before release.

What everyone is telling you is to be the town-crier and assemble a milita to kill them. Instead of town-crying on the forums. Any town you say there are greys outside is enough really- players are really itching for action and loot.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
What everyone is telling you is to be the town-crier and assemble a milita to kill them. Instead of town-crying on the forums. Any town you say there are greys outside is enough really- players are really itching for action and loot.

Thanks, but I wasn't asking for personal gaming advice and I don't know what "town-crying" is, but if it's going into town and asking for help with PKers I wasn't asking for help either. I'm asking if anyone has any knowledge of WHY this area appears completely unprotected (and thus is a complete magnet for every bored rpker in existence), despite my understanding that it has been stated it should be.

What I am pointing out is that if I, someone who has 250+ hours in the game, has been playing for 10 months, and am in beta where gear and progress don't matter, is surprised and frustrated by lack of protection in an area I legitimately thought was intended to be safe (the GY and to a letter extent the pass between the town and graveyard), imagine how a new player will feel just coming out of Haven and trying to get their feet under them by doing what they've been taught to do, which is to farm zombies in the safety of the noob area (the graveyard).

In Tindrem, the GY is IN the city, so is inherently protected by guards. My point is simply that Fab is basically nearly a lawless town already, despite looking like Haven, they will get ganked at the zombies with little to no gear, and they will not "raise a militia", they will quit the game and never come back. And Henrik has made it clear that certain areas (cities and graveyards) are intended to be safe, so saying "Oh the lack of guards in the GY just means you need to raise a militia" is missing the point.

It's like walking up to someone at a building and saying, "Hey, I tried to go into the elevator to go the 100th floor and push the button and nothing happened, is it broken?" and the person replies, "Elevators are for weaklings, they should remove them, just take the stairs and stop complaining".

Reactions: Staal

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Maybe something they need fixing, I'd wait for a hot fix if there is supposed to be increased guard patrols near the GY.
Nah this is supposed to be a player driven game, shouldn't have NPCs play the game for you. Its not that hard to fight 3 people when you have 20 in town.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Thanks, but I wasn't asking for personal gaming advice and I don't know what "town-crying" is, but if it's going into town and asking for help with PKers I wasn't asking for help either. I'm asking if anyone has any knowledge of WHY this area appears completely unprotected (and thus is a complete magnet for every bored rpker in existence), despite my understanding that it has been stated it should be.

What I am pointing out is that if I, someone who has 250+ hours in the game, has been playing for 10 months, and am in beta where gear and progress don't matter, is surprised and frustrated by lack of protection in an area I legitimately thought was intended to be safe (the GY and to a letter extent the pass between the town and graveyard), imagine how a new player will feel just coming out of Haven and trying to get their feet under them by doing what they've been taught to do, which is to farm zombies in the safety of the noob area (the graveyard).

In Tindrem, the GY is IN the city, so is inherently protected by guards. My point is simply that Fab is basically nearly a lawless town already, despite looking like Haven, they will get ganked at the zombies with little to no gear, and they will not "raise a militia", they will quit the game and never come back. And Henrik has made it clear that certain areas (cities and graveyards) are intended to be safe, so saying "Oh the lack of guards in the GY just means you need to raise a militia" is missing the point.

It's like walking up to someone at a building and saying, "Hey, I tried to go into the elevator to go the 100th floor and push the button and nothing happened, is it broken?" and the person replies, "Elevators are for weaklings, they should remove them, just take the stairs and stop complaining".
250 hours is nothing, you need to spend more hours getting good at PvP so you can beat those 3 players outside of fab with the rest of the town. The people that are outside of fab have over a thousand hours minimum some have thousand in this game already getting good at it.

This is entirely a player issue. Already protected enough in town.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
People will play a lot more reserved on release, unless you're hanging around hot spots like sought after resources and boss locations, then PvP is to be expected. Maybe a handful of mongs trying to steal your heads in the GY might require some assertion of dominance.

It's also near persistent release, people are putting all cards on the table and going to fuck around until then No reason not to.

SilentPony

Nov 27, 2021
There is another solution. Remove graveyards entirely and give clade exp for every productive action (crafting, hunting, extracting, etc.). And do something to the resource balancing when going out further than the pig spawn and a nearest rock to mine actually rewards you with better materials.

It will also be interesting to know where the players will go without a graveyard. Probably about half will just leave the game since there are few places in the world that look like a good resource spot worth going to. I remember when I started in Tindrem and was walking around seeing no animals and only greywood and granum everywhere. Really had to believe that the game has anything worthwhile. Did not go back to the graveyard only because killing zombies seemed like an alternative worse to just quitting the game altogether or roaming an empty world.

I regularly roam on a horse between some cities and in the areas around and there is very little traffic. It seems people just don't go out to trade or gather. Horse tamers are probably the most frequent encounter I have.

Kameyo

Aug 14, 2020
I wonder how many players are going to grind clades on Haven even though they can't take anything more then 10 gold with them when they do decide to leave.

It seems to me if you're not in a big guild alliance you will be somewhat locked out of gaining clades.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
I'm seeing a lot of different sides to this.

Graveyards are an entry level area for new players, introduced on Haven - kindred to giant rats on Tutorial Island for Runescape back in the day.
  • They need to be able to use them.
    -
  • That being said, in a PvP game, of course I think there should still be some risk.
    • A couple of weaker guards at the entrances & not lictors would dissuade PK camping, but if you really wanted to get a kill off, you still could.
    • Other options could be explored as well.
      -
  • Undead should not be used as a baseline for gaining Clade EXP.
    • Scoundrels, Bandits, the Rat Tribe, Risar, Minotaurs, Sators and Bosses all give lots of Clade XP.
    • The system should be expanded to utilize non-combat aspects of the game, too.
      -
  • Expecting a player to play 250+ hours (@Tzone) just to be competent at PvP is unreasonable in itself, but to expect it so they can make it to the GY is even more ridiculous.
    -
  • The Town Militia option for dealing with roaming marauders is good, yes, but it is still quite flawed.
    • This still keeps the focus of PvP around towns and their GY's, which inhibits new players.
    • Players only stay grey for 2 minutes, so by the time people head out to deal with them, they don't have an option to attack.
      • Not without it then counting as a crime for the same town they are trying to protect.
        -
My take away from this is that, people who want to PvP all the time in this game need to breathe. Risk needs to exist, but it should not be a free-for-all, no-holds-barred, path of chaos just to do the most basic PvE in the game. Why would any self respecting elite, camp a new player area, anyway?

Graveyards should be looked at to be made safer, and the paths to them safer, as well. PK should always remain a risk, but not a constant. Leaving a towns borders should flick that switch, and the threat then should become constant. That is what the open world is for, that is why all harder PvE and good resources are a distance from town.

For those who disagree, I challenge you to stop chasing the short term gratification of smacking the easiest targets. You get surges of dopamine (among other things) in your head when you get to PvP, so naturally as you continue to PvP, you want more and more, because dopamine reinforces habits and desire (among other things, again). The receptors in your brain grow in number to deal with the intake, & that means the more you push for fast, easily accessible PvP, the less you will ever want to put time or effort into getting what you want.

In short - stop being lazy, and stop enabling yourself. It hurts the game on a whole.

Last edited:

forcem

Apr 30, 2021
The game should recommend tindrem as starting city, and maybe put guards in the MK GY too so you have to choose going to tindrem or MK as a newbie. The other options should be able but with a warning.
After that, just join a guild or start one this is no solo game.