Rep still doesn't go far enough.

LoPing

Dec 14, 2021
That area is not supposed to be a safe zone nor should it be turned into one. Step outside the walls of ANY town and you are solely responsible for your own safety.

Reactions: Tzone

[CTX] Contractor

Dec 31, 2021
I'm not trying to come off as a self proclaimed "leet peeveepee" player. But I've played in a lot of guilds with really skilled players, and I find I'm also a pretty skilled player generally speaking.

More often then not, higher skilled players typically kill everyone due to a habit instilled in them from MO1.

Right now players have no way to 'rob' others, or to take loot without killing. Some would argue this kind of mechanic is stupid and you should have to KILL someone say they are punished for wanting their items. But I say fuck that.

You shouldn't be able to FORCEFULLY rob someone, the player should have a toggle where he temporarily 'surrenders' and his loot is available to be taken.

The second reason higher skilled players kill everyone is because in reality they're not highly skilled and suck ass and can't manage a real fight with players that would absolutely slam their heads in.

Thank you for coming to a [CTX] Casually Toxic TED talk.

[CTX] for hire!

Shadowmist

Dec 19, 2021
I'm not trying to come off as a self proclaimed "leet peeveepee" player. But I've played in a lot of guilds with really skilled players, and I find I'm also a pretty skilled player generally speaking.

More often then not, higher skilled players typically kill everyone due to a habit instilled in them from MO1.

Right now players have no way to 'rob' others, or to take loot without killing. Some would argue this kind of mechanic is stupid and you should have to KILL someone say they are punished for wanting their items. But I say fuck that.

You shouldn't be able to FORCEFULLY rob someone, the player should have a toggle where he temporarily 'surrenders' and his loot is available to be taken.

The second reason higher skilled players kill everyone is because in reality they're not highly skilled and suck ass and can't manage a real fight with players that would absolutely slam their heads in.

Thank you for coming to a [CTX] Casually Toxic TED talk.

[CTX] for hire!

You can tell them to /droploot, so yeah you actually CAN rob people without killing them.

[CTX] Contractor

Dec 31, 2021
You can tell them to /droploot, so yeah you actually CAN rob people without killing them.

You're not wrong.

BUT.

A lot of people don't even know about that command, and (to my knowledge) it isn't established anywhere in the tutorial.

It would be better to just have an ability within your skills menu that you use.

And while your point stands.. /droploot is more of a feature to free someone of EVERYTHING as quickly as possible due to drowning, having bugged items, etc. The concept of dropping everything (plus gear) onto the ground is in my opinion worse then just a temporary surrender option which allows a player to just 'loot' someone as if they were the loot bag (Obviously turning them grey / criminal).

Dec 23, 2021
Why dont you just be better at PvP?

3 PvPers just holding all the town up is a player problem not a rep propblem.

Be better than the 3 guy Is funny advice.(since mostly the well organized pkrs groups are veterans with 2000+hour experience)

Also they run away after one , two kill and they will come back after 30min or 1 hour and repeat. There is no chance to your buddys and city randoms stay there and wait.

I dont have problem with gy kills mostly but i think when the player created places&citys fully completed/implemented then there will be no reason to not be pkr and turn the game into a horrible killfest because they no need to relay on towns anymore and this is currently the only one punishment since pk status not visible anymore.

Zerg thing is also a part of bigger issue.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
While I would agree that the area normally would not need protection, I think they should really consider bumping up security around release time.

There has been a buttload of accounts sold during the testing phase. So there are already hundreds (if not thousands) of players that will already have access even without selling a single new account.

So, we really should expect a lot of players to be flooding in at release.

Some of these players may not even plan to sub after their free time. So what will they really have to lose by being asshats?

Again I feel the area should be open for pvp normally. However, release will be far from normal circumstances

where such things could become far more prevalent.

So I think it probably be a good idea to try and tone these types of things down while there is so many people flooding the game at once.

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
Fab is always going to be a town for the PKers to mass kill people in the GY an around the area. It one of the closest safe towns near the NE part of the map. NE part of the map is were all the red players live, so i only natural that these same players will stake around Fab mass killing people. But I do agree that there should be guards near the bridge next to the graveyard, Fab & Vadda have the further GY from the town.

Wollkneul

May 28, 2020
Nah this is supposed to be a player driven game, shouldn't have NPCs play the game for you. Its not that hard to fight 3 people when you have 20 in town.

If it should be completely player driven, do you think there should be guards at all?
Or would you also prefer to make everything up to the players?
Also do you think you should get rid of a murder count and rep system?

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Why dont you just be better at PvP?

3 PvPers just holding all the town up is a player problem not a rep propblem.

that's not wrong but l2p posts are not helpful.

I would say however that the GY is like the first first pvp zone of the game. Just something you have to accept.

GY is for nubs, but it's for nub pvp. At least how I see it. Of course some people are gonna come in who aren't nubs, but if they are geared, you can look at it like world boss level and pop them for their loot, enjoy the process. They might not want that to happen, but that's what they are creating. They probably understand they are eventually gonna die and lose everything they have, it's just a matter of time. Think of pvp as capture the flag, king of the mountain, whatever, if people are in a static spot, as Tzone said, they are ripe to get rekt. That's why we hate ghost scouts.

League of legends language: don't trickle in, though, wait for people and go together then fight them. Pretend they are strong mobs and look at the gains you can get from them.

It's a good way to make friends, like on open pvp games like BDO arsha, could just wait at the spawn spot and pick up teammates over time and eventually get the W even vs the most stupidly OP person. It's actually fun once you think about it in any way other than so and so is withholding content. No, it's more like they have CHANGED the content. People would drag thorax into town or GM would have raids on cities, think of it like that, and profit! Fill your banks w trash gear for such instances and just keep going back until they are dead. But like I said don't go v 3 people if you don't have anyone with you haha.

Reactions: Rorry

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Yeah Im in a guild so I'll manage but I think SV really shooting themselves in the foot with this one. Every new player is going to be mad when they try to kill zombies and get killed every 10 minutes

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Another way to look at graveyard pvp is guild recruitment.

Imagine a prominent guild standing guard at the graveyard with 20+ mounted fighters just chilling out while new players hunt the undead. Their presence alone would probably deter all but the most determined rpkers who also have the numbers on their side to match. This would provide relative safety and the guild would essentially be advertising and promoting their guild all at once, in a more practical and effective way than recruiting on the forums or random yells in town ever could.

New players seeing the guild standing guard would be more likely to strike up conversation and thank the guild or even join them for protecting them. If a fight does break out between two large armies then it would give new players time to run back to town, help out the guild protecting them, or just marvel at the spectacle of two armies fighting it out. Which is partly the selling point of this game, the sight of dozens of players engaged in mortal combat is sure to draw the crowd, whether in-game or on YouTube.

If the rpkers somehow manage to defeat the defending guild army, it would also send a signal to new players that the rpkers are a superior force and that may entice them to join the defending guild to bolster the numbers and become part of the guard. Or join the rpkers, "If you can't beat them, join them" as the saying goes.

Either way, the outcome would be far different than having a bunch of new players getting ganked by a few well-geared rpkers without a significant force to defend them and then leaving the game, followed by a trip to the Steam reviews to vent their frustration. At least with this large-scale pvp experience, even if they do leave they will do so remembering what an experience that was, and may even encourage them to return in future.

Last edited:

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021

Imagine a prominent guild standing guard at the graveyard with 20+ mounted fighters just chilling out while new players hunt the undead. Their presence alone would probably deter all but the most determined rpkers who also have the numbers on their side to match. This would provide relative safety and the guild would essentially be advertising and promoting their guild all at once, in a more practical and effective way than recruiting on the forums or random yells in town ever could.

New players seeing the guild standing guard would be more likely to strike up conversation and thank the guild or even join them for protecting them. If a fight does break out between two large armies then it would give new players time to run back to town, help out the guild protecting them, or just marvel at the spectacle of two armies fighting it out. Which is partly the selling point of this game, the sight of dozens of players engaged in mortal combat is sure to draw the crowd, whether in-game or on YouTube.

If the rpkers somehow manage to defeat the defending guild army, it would also send a signal to new players that the rpkers are a superior force and that may entice them to join the defending guild to bolster the numbers and become part of the guard. Or join the rpkers, "If you can't beat them, join them" as the saying goes.

Either way, the outcome would be far different than having a bunch of new players getting ganked by a few well-geared rpkers without a significant force to defend them and then leaving the game, followed by a trip to the Steam reviews to vent their frustration. At least with this large-scale pvp experience, even if they do leave they will do so remembering what an experience that was, and may even encourage them to return in future.

Although sandbox games can be great I think it's bad to fall Into the trap of 'but the players will come up with solutions and make their own fun / content'. Imo. Everyone says it but I've still never seen a successful guard for hire system in a pvp game

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Why not have melee guards (basic guards) patrolling roads out from towns during the day, and then no patrols during the night? Best of both worlds /shrug

this is actually a great idea that could be taken further on many levels. See every once in awhile someone says something that's A DAMN GOOD IDEA. That's why we have these threads.

At skill, yea there is def a skill of taking advantage of people's weakness or unawareness. You can tell when people are lurking and waiting, the fun thing about MO is you can notice even the nuance of character movement or how they are glancing at you. It's like DIZ DOOD THINKIN ABOUT ATTACKING ME BUT HE'S WAITING FOR MY HEALTH TO GO ALIL LOWER. Another thing that I like about MO, there are so many different skill sets that allow players to rise above the rest. You need some level of mechanical skill, but not nearly as much as you think. I mean, you need to have 'gaming experience,' is about it.

Most of the dudes fail hard at any sort of subterfuge and it's kinda hilarious in a way. I'm nearly 100% (95% ? :eek: ) sure if flag system was removed completely that it would iron out for certain parts of the map. So players would handle it because they'd have to. There would be areas that would be more hardcore than others, but it would split up. There are multiple grave yards in the game, maybe one should be lightly patrolled by guards, and yea, I'm not against BEING ABLE TO INTERACT WITH GUARDS and have them come to the GY if people are there, not OP guards but some 'help you fight' melee guards, as said. Then stick around for awhile, too. Not the whole /guards thing, but just like two chuckle doods that are standing around near by that if you talk to them they are like zz...zzz oh... is something happening in the grave yard? And kind of make their way that way. ONLY FOR A FEW CITY GYS tho. There will be times when there is no one to help and having some NPC support is nice, but in the end you are gonna want to fight. They are offering you an opportunity to kill them.

You just can't balance the game to protect new players from being killed. Make it so they can't be killed for x amount of time if that's what you want, like before (but make it only applicable to the GY, so they can't move mats... like before.) But adding in systems explicitly to prevent new players from being killed in the GY (like rep seems to be tbh, that and horse griefing), is just poor planning.

FIRST, it's going to give people a false sense of security in the GY and thus make them stay there longer and go back there when they feel unsafe. You don't wanna shuttle people into the graveyard. I mean it's A GRAVE YARD. It's like a running joke that people are getting farmed there. You're farming, you're getting farmed, it's the GY! (jingle note)

SECOND, what about all of the vets that have to play under the system that is only designed to protect nubs when we don't even know if they are going to stay, anyway.

There are many things you can do in MO to make money, if the GY is camped out, then do something else. Eventually, people will clear it out. This is so true that, as said in this thread, most people won't actually camp the GY, they will come in and out. If the rep system was smarter, you could gain rep by killing people who are in your GY killing people. Alas, parcels.

There are so many levels of exploits and what amounts to red tape that any complex system brings in, that's why I really think, still, they should REDUCE penalties, cuz when someone pks then is blue and everyone comes in... and is like look I'm innocent, I'm an upstanding citizen (and yes people do that haha,) it penalizes YOU for killing them. That's why I suggested the local grey thing about rep, where it's not KoS but you are, for a long time, local grey in the territory of the town if you go under a certain rep. Cuz ostensibly you could be -100 rep in a town, be blue, and someone killing you could lose rep. THAT'S CRAZY.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
If it should be completely player driven, do you think there should be guards at all?
Or would you also prefer to make everything up to the players?
Also do you think you should get rid of a murder count and rep system?
If a guard didnt see it, it didnt happen bro.

IDK why you are trying to strawman this argument. Why should you be able to farm gold with out consequences at the graveyard? Just learn to play the game instead of trying to kill it by making the NPC play for you.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
While I would agree that the area normally would not need protection, I think they should really consider bumping up security around release time.

There has been a buttload of accounts sold during the testing phase. So there are already hundreds (if not thousands) of players that will already have access even without selling a single new account.

So, we really should expect a lot of players to be flooding in at release.

Some of these players may not even plan to sub after their free time. So what will they really have to lose by being asshats?

Again I feel the area should be open for pvp normally. However, release will be far from normal circumstances

where such things could become far more prevalent.

So I think it probably be a good idea to try and tone these types of things down while there is so many people flooding the game at once.
They just need a alternative like scoundrel camps near towns

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online

Awesome guild marketing xD

D

Dracu

Learning how to PvP is one alternative.
That doesnt fix the placeholder like rep system that doesnt do anything besides remove town priest ressurection as long as you do your tasks though :)

We need pvp allowed zones that have some good stuff in them.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
They just need a alternative like scoundrel camps near towns

That would give the players more options and spread them out more for sure. And solutions other than guards would be great since they can open up players to other forms of griefing.

My concern is about the types of players that will target new players because they are easy prey no matter what. They may just be a small percentage of the players but there will be many players to draw that percentage from at release. And there will be many new targets for them at once as well.

Just think back to how steam release went in the first game. It was pretty much an all out slaughter fest to those that had no clue. Sure some could say that those players needed to be able to accept the game as how it is. But at the end of the day that is not really how the game was.

If some of those same players would have started the game a month later then they would have had a different experience.

Ideally they want to give players at release a proper representation of what they could expect the game to "normally" be like. Though that will surely be difficult with such an abnormal influx of players at one time.

Last edited: