PSA: Do your part to ensure this game has a healthy population. Protect the newbies!

Talian

Nov 26, 2020
Im not going to go out of my way to kill noobs but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to deny a player the full experience of the game.

PvP is a experience of the game and not treating a noob like any other player is just denying them game play. Its not fair to them and makes the game less of it self.

The way Ive experienced the game. Players either have the mentality to stay in mo2 or not. Putting kiddy gloves on wont make them not quit when they start playing the real game. If they dont have the mentality to keep playing after being killed then they wont be playing mo2 down the line anyway. They just dont have the mentality to play the game.
What utter self-serving rationalistic bullshit... wow...
I assume you were laughing as you typed this.

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
This casual player expect to take his time skilling up and exploring. There will be lots of time to help and guide brandnew players. Usury and extortion is my endgame and I probably wont be doing it for the first 6 months.

But hey, since so much info is exclusive to twitch and discord, the new players might end up helping this old grumpy merchant understand the new Nave.

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
Well, what is he wrong about?
That what I'd like to know? People need to come into this game expecting PVP an dying to other players while losing their inventory. If your coming into the game with some mind set that everyone going to follow some made up unofficial rule cause some people like to say "PVPing people is toxic, PVPing new players is harassment" well you won't last long in this game.

I personally don't plan on PVPing people unless they attack me or someone else. But tbh this isn't because I hate PVP or because I'm a nice person, it because I don't want to kill some man child that going to follow me around in game spewing insults an threats at me over VIOP in-game because they take dying in a video game to seriously.

Reactions: Tzone

Tzone

May 16, 2021
What utter self-serving rationalistic bullshit... wow...
I assume you were laughing as you typed this.
What was I wrong about. If people are quiting because they lost a bone tissue sword and vendor armor then they would quit when they lost real gear. Even real gear is super easy to get and almost printable.

I cant see why people think dying matters out side of them being control freaks and being unable to tolerate not having complete control in a game. Those people would just never be able to tolerate a game where they give up any control.

The Khan

Dec 21, 2021
What was I wrong about. If people are quiting because they lost a bone tissue sword and vendor armor then they would quit when they lost real gear. Even real gear is super easy to get and almost printable.

I cant see why people think dying matters out side of them being control freaks and being unable to tolerate not having complete control in a game. Those people would just never be able to tolerate a game where they give up any control.

you are confusing the effort that *you* would put in to acquiring that gear with the effort that a noob would have getting it. A difference of night and day.

in the first couple weeks of playing, they could easily have spent hours getting that bone tissue shit.

there's probably essentially *nothing* in the game left that's a comparable experience for you when you already know how to do or acquire everything

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Hey if I don't kill this guy who has no chance of winning against me, I'm denying him authentic gameplay.

Yeah I don't think that's how that works. There's a keen difference in killing someone in a graveyard, and killing someone out in the world doing what ever.

One clearly poses no challenge or offers any form of rewards. But hey, this is a sandbox after all. If you think killing people who can't even fight back is what you need to do then I suppose you'll never truly find MO2 a fun game.
Many times I ignored a untagged doing poorly in a graveyard just because I didnt feel like it was worth the .5 to kill them. Many times after I went grey to kill a tagged player that untagged attacks. At times you should just kill them as a preventive measure.

Like one day I saw six noobs doing their think in fab graveyard. We went gray outside of the grave yard and all of them came to attack us. Next day they were tagged CTX. At the time Im sure many people were rerolling too but you just cant trust untaggs in grave yards.

Also I met plenty of noobs that thought the PvP we had outside of fab was fun. Zombies are pretty boring adding some sort of danger does make the game more interesting. Just as much people probably quit MO2 because zombies are boring as the amount they quit because they dont have the mentality for OW PvP.

The Khan

Dec 21, 2021
Also I met plenty of noobs that thought the PvP we had outside of fab was fun.

sure, sometimes it is.

the point, in this case, is the times when it's *not* fun.

it also would be far less of a problem if it was one or a couple designated areas, even simply by player consensus, where the pvp was regular and unrestrained -- e.g. fabernaum graveyard, or w/e.

the problem is that it happens in literally *every* graveyard, the sewers, etc.

Bladeer01

Aug 1, 2021
RPKs (as in the guild people) told me that, nakeds have the best loot. I think that's a bit WRONG, but it's always possible. It's like scratch off lotto tickets. I would never carry 500g naked. Of course the most I ever lost was I think like 8~ stacks (v sad day for me!!) of calspar that I was gonna use to make skadi.

I want to put this here tho, cuz I was just in the standing thread. It's not about new or not. I mean... in some ways it is. Like you can tell when someone is just completely new like face tanking a zombie and handle hitting them. It's like damn... :( but in general the population of this game needs to change the way they look at it. They are like wahhh we can't protect the GY because we need to be making gains, it's like ok then you get no noobs. I mean, SV doesn't want that so they put in wack systems, but that's the basic point. And it's hurting the game on many levels, because people won't put in low level work.

There are enough people in this game to at least deter and create some good fights vs people who are camping a static spot, the fact that they are off doing their own thing is kind of shameful. I mean, if you purport to be ARPK, a good guy, or whatever.

You wanna talk about scratch off lotto tickets, which is better finding 500g on a naked or finding the guy in the GY that has potential to be a great player and playing alongside him, gearing him, and fighting vs players. In the end, nobody cares enough. That's just the raw truth.

Nobody is interested in experiencing all of the possible situations in the sandbox, they are still thinking static like... HOW AM I GONNA FARM MINOS THEN?! I had someone who was inquiring about my guild and when he read the info, he was like, "So wait what are you goals... I kinda wanted to aim higher than that, I wanna build a rep!" It's like heh. Dude never played the game before, and I was trying to tell him how things work in MO. He said some stuff like so you guys are just gonna be playing softcore casual in a hardcore sandbox, good luck with that. It's like loooooooooooooool.

I dunno, man, people's minds... it's sad that you get something that is pretty close to being an actual sandbox, but nobody wants to play all of the roles. Nobody wants to do different stuff, they want to focus on GAINS and TC and STACKING MATS (basic theme park stuff, really.) For what... so they can play the game from a more advantageous point. However, if you just try playing the game from where you are, you might find that you do alright and the gains come anyway. This is assuming there never are WALLS again. Walls were like "welp, they finally did it, they ruined it completely."

That's why 'griefers' are such a problem to everyone. It doesn't take much to make an impact, and nobody wants to stop their routine to deal with them. You don't need all that other stuff. Get some players who aren't dog shit w/ flake weps and they could clear out the GY ez. Dudes want to build their rep as in... their tag, or the shininess of their armor, so they ain't got time to protect nubs.

For my rep, I want it to be like it was in MO1, as a person. Ascii shrug.

well , i once wondered why wall were so hard to break .... i mean , for those that didn't play mo1

wall building allowed not only to protect your keep ; but also to wall off ANY place , high end ressource , dungeons , make a single pass to enter a city ; ANYTHING

i do understand that destroying the whole thing should be hard , but hey , gimme a pickaxe and 5 minute to make a manhole in it ; the time , ressource and organisation to destroy ANY walls was so big that without a guild , you couldn't do shit

lg123

Jan 25, 2022
This is ultimately a developer issue. 100%

They decide just how much to protect new players; the answer is clear - spend as much time in Haven as you want. That's it.

You cannot leave it to a player base that already is kosher with killing people who cannot fight back and with nothing to gain from the kill. Interpret that any way you want; its an observable fact, every one here has seen it. A handful are noble and actually try and stop it but that's just pissing into a forest fire. Even here you have people admitting they have a creepy weird fetish to make others experience some punishment that they themselves went through in the past.

Everyone has their own ideas of fun and what's miserable. People don't play games through someone else's memories or experience.

If a new player leaves because they're getting killed and losing their stuff with high frequency (no matter where they happen to be), then that means they're not finding value playing this game. Its surprisingly simple. They'll respect their limited time they had in a day and go pick another form of entertainment from a selection that is virtually unlimited.

And this isn't a failure of the player base, not even a bit. You cannot plead with people to change who or what they are; they're going to play this game and they will play within the parameters of what the system physically allows.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

The Khan

Dec 21, 2021
And this isn't a failure of the player base, not even a bit. You cannot plead with people to change who or what they are; they're going to play this game and they will play within the parameters of what the system physically allows.

I was agreeing with you up to this point, but here we diverge.

In sandbox games, the playerbase ultimately has a *ton* of potential control over how the game operates. You can see *vast* differences in communities for different games that operate under similar rulesets.

I could point to any number of small playerbase games (especially muds and other early mmos) that had a much more welcoming, friendly playerbase -- that never tolerated noob killing.

lg123

Jan 25, 2022
I was agreeing with you up to this point, but here we diverge.

In sandbox games, the playerbase ultimately has a *ton* of potential control over how the game operates. You can see *vast* differences in communities for different games that operate under similar rulesets.

I could point to any number of small playerbase games (especially muds and other early mmos) that had a much more welcoming, friendly playerbase -- that never tolerated noob killing.

When communities are small to very small, you'll always find differences. Individuals can exert influence at a greater proportion to the community as a whole. It makes sense. I don't know how small/large MO2 will be, but the larger a community, the easier they are to fall into trends that will mimic what we see in popular (see toxic) games.

But apples to apples; When we're talking about MO2, we can compare it to MO1, and perhaps EVE as controlling nullsec space is important to corporations and you can lose ships that take huge sums of wealth to accumulate. What little time I played in EVE, I was hand held by a corporation whos interest was having a larger army, and guided me on where to go and not to go. Its been many many years but I wasn't aware of any agreement from the player base of not exploding my ship because I was new. Stay in 1.0 space? Might as well say to someone stay in Haven.

Look, all i'm sayin is, if someone in MO2 feels like slapping around a new player at a graveyard, there isn't much you or I or anyone else can do to stop them. Unless we all want to volunteer guard duty?

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
it because I don't want to kill some man child that going to follow me around in game spewing insults an threats at me over VIOP in-game because they take dying in a video game to seriously.

you're missing out on half the game. ahaha.

And you don't think someone can attack you and do the same thing? You should be a nice person! Nice people are COOL. Doesn't mean you have to put up with people's BS. It's easy to see when people are gonna come w/ the BS and that's why MO offers tools to deal with it. Someone can be a new player and a tool, too. There isn't often happyland in MO, but when I logged in to play ( got lucky they pushed stuff back so I could get in near launch), there were a good amount of people in the GY farming, but everyone was leaving people's mobs alone, come back later and now everyone is just going FFA attacking everything as fast as they can, trying to grab the loot bag as fast as possible.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with wanting to keep that initial order, and I certainly am not going to go out of my way to break it. I will even try to 'help people understand,' that there is an order going on and they are breaking it, maybe unknowingly. But when everything just goes bat shit that's when pvp happens. It's all pvp anyway. It's pvp to loot my bag, too. More people = more chaos = need to thin. I got woofed but I was gonna spec my char by running parcels. lol. Then I was gonna /y if people start going in on my (or other people's tbh) shit, I'm fighting them, and if you wanna fight me, too, then you're doing yourself a disservice... people prol will kill me (cuz eventually I WILL BE spec enough to fight people) just for going grey, but I will be killing cocks (nice people terminology!) who are trying to steal clade exp and loot from other people. Sad thing is, I'll probably be labeled a griefer even if I spell it out beforehand.

PVP is a tool and in these games, as I've said before, you do lose loot which is something, but in a lot of cases pvp is just like putting someone in time out. Reminding them to chill. Then there is actual open world fun pvp, but pvp is necessary even around town (which is why I hate the rep system as it is.)

Bladeer01

Aug 1, 2021
When communities are small to very small, you'll always find differences. Individuals can exert influence at a greater proportion to the community as a whole. It makes sense. I don't know how small/large MO2 will be, but the larger a community, the easier they are to fall into trends that will mimic what we see in popular (see toxic) games.

But apples to apples; When we're talking about MO2, we can compare it to MO1, and perhaps EVE as controlling nullsec space is important to corporations and you can lose ships that take huge sums of wealth to accumulate. What little time I played in EVE, I was hand held by a corporation whos interest was having a larger army, and guided me on where to go and not to go. Its been many many years but I wasn't aware of any agreement from the player base of not exploding my ship because I was new. Stay in 1.0 space? Might as well say to someone stay in Haven.

Look, all i'm sayin is, if someone in MO2 feels like slapping around a new player at a graveyard, there isn't much you or I or anyone else can do to stop them. Unless we all want to volunteer guard duty?

eve online comparison is bad in this case , cause in eve there is almost alway a loophole to flee ^^

plutus

May 28, 2020
Just because I read this thread I am going to kill every naked tamer, wood cutter, miner I come across. ♥️

Wollkneul

May 28, 2020
Im not going to go out of my way to kill noobs but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to deny a player the full experience of the game.

PvP is a experience of the game and not treating a noob like any other player is just denying them game play. Its not fair to them and makes the game less of it self.

The way Ive experienced the game. Players either have the mentality to stay in mo2 or not. Putting kiddy gloves on wont make them not quit when they start playing the real game. If they dont have the mentality to keep playing after being killed then they wont be playing mo2 down the line anyway. They just dont have the mentality to play the game.

Rpking noobs is doing them a favor...
Your mental gymnastics are really olympia worthy.

Reactions: Talian and The Khan

[CTX] Contractor

Dec 31, 2021
I don't disagree with freedom. I feel like if you want to kill noobs, then kill noobs. But it's been shown from the previous game that it:

1.) Doesn't make you a better player.
2.) Doesn't reward you (for the most part).
3.) Doesn't help the game (in which you rely on population to play).

Sure. If you want to kill a guy to take his walker heads, go for it. But I'm betting you'd be the same person to have a pet put on you by that guy later on in the game and complain it's OP.

Guess it'll come full circle. They'll either quit or adapt and use things that don't require them to match you on a mechanical level.