PSA: Do your part to ensure this game has a healthy population. Protect the newbies!

ryn

Jan 24, 2022
The general trend of a hardcore PVP MMO's population is a large influx of new players on launch day, followed by a steep decline. A large part of this decline is due to potential long-term players getting turned off from the game due to intense griefing when they start playing. Regardless of whether you believe killing new players outside the first town is part of the game, it hurts player retention. Give players some time to get invested! You'll have a much better time killing them later on. (With better loot mind you)

Ways you can help:
  • Don't grief the starting areas (duh)
  • If you are experienced, help your fellow newbie out. Show them the cool shit in this game.
  • If you are already part of an organized guild, protecting starter areas on launch day could go a long way.

2Op4Scrubs

Sep 11, 2021
This is a good idea, But its sad because the world is getting so soft. Mfers be crying about anything these days besides trying to do something about it. I Do not plan on killing people ever really, But I fully expect to get my shit pushed in, as should everyone els.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Yeah I've also lived long enough to see the same pattern. PvP games usually only last like 6 months before people get burned out and quit and move onto the next big pvp MMO that promises to be better. Rinse repeat. Maybe the ultimate PK is killing the game? Even with games like Conan Exiles the problem emerges where the only people left playing are the 'I play 70 hours a week' type power addicts that go around blowing up every sandstone hut they find out of boredom. And even if you're a hardcore pvp players getting raided and ragged on every day burns you out after a while. Hopefully it won't happen to MO for a while, but it's just the cycle of life with pvp games that all suffer the same fate

Reactions: The Khan

Draed

Jan 4, 2022
i think haven addresses this issue fine enough, what will keep players engaged between content cycles is guild content imo, the best way players will be retained is by guilds effectively recruiting.

Reactions: Solaris

ryn

Jan 24, 2022
Hey man I played Darkfall for years, long after it was a dead game. There are some great people and truly awful people in the sandbox community.

If we can lower the bar to entry even a little so that it's not just the 70+hr powergamer that can play, but the 20+hr semi-sweaty gamer with a job can play, that's a win for everyone!

Frikazoide

May 31, 2020
Brazil
The general trend of a hardcore PVP MMO's population is a large influx of new players on launch day, followed by a steep decline. A large part of this decline is due to potential long-term players getting turned off from the game due to intense griefing when they start playing. Regardless of whether you believe killing new players outside the first town is part of the game, it hurts player retention. Give players some time to get invested! You'll have a much better time killing them later on. (With better loot mind you)

Ways you can help:
  • Don't grief the starting areas (duh)
  • If you are experienced, help your fellow newbie out. Show them the cool shit in this game.
  • If you are already part of an organized guild, protecting starter areas on launch day could go a long way.

I certainly agree with you, but it's a very difficult request to get positive responses from. My main tip for those starting out is not to leave Haven too soon, do the tutorials, train the combat mechanics and absorb as much as possible so as not to leave for the world of Myriland with very little knowledge about the game mechanics. In Mortal Online 1, unfortunately, we only had Haven at the end of its existence, which caused us to lose a lot of players and now newbies can take advantage of the features that were made to help them.

Nezris

Jan 22, 2022
Yeah I've also lived long enough to see the same pattern. PvP games usually only last like 6 months before people get burned out and quit and move onto the next big pvp MMO that promises to be better. Rinse repeat. Maybe the ultimate PK is killing the game? Even with games like Conan Exiles the problem emerges where the only people left playing are the 'I play 70 hours a week' type power addicts that go around blowing up every sandstone hut they find out of boredom. And even if you're a hardcore pvp players getting raided and ragged on every day burns you out after a while. Hopefully it won't happen to MO for a while, but it's just the cycle of life with pvp games that all suffer the same fate

Lots of MMORPG's have people bound to quit months after release, this is natural and does not determine failure or success. People may leave for other reasons completely irrelevant to the particular gaming experience. 6 months is a decent time for any player to stick with for long. People are actually very ADHD and will always like to move on to new games (they likely already play several every day and will often be indecisive on what they should play during the given time of day).

If PK is killing games, then I won't want to play games anymore if all games turn in the opposite direction of PvP. This is not the case. Most games you can think of thrive and succeed from a player-versus-player context.
People are nerds, I get it. They will play more than most and be the most skilled at the game. That is similar to real life. Then the existential question comes: are these games even meant for people who want a casual video game experience?

Games aren't fair. If someone quit Mortal Online 2 because their house got sieged, or because they lost hours worth of farming: I wouldn't have considered their enjoyment for the game even valid. They couldn't have enjoyed it much to begin with if they are just going to quit like that.

if you can't handle losing in a game that doesn't seem to have an end, then you aren't meant for the game. You can rebuild and regain everything that was lost for your enjoyable gameplay experience to revive itself.

I would be angry if the developers of Mortal Online 2 babied the players who complain about unfair game mechanics. There will always be levels of unfairness in video games, especially this one. I couldn't see a better way. There will always be someone who finds something unfair,

But there DOES need to be balance.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
You don’t have to Zerg down brand new players in the graveyard just because you can.

in a more Theme park mmo like new world it didn’t make you good to have 40 people outside of the low level zone and it doesn’t make you good here.

similar to how we have to begood custodians of the earth that we live on we have to be good custodians of the game that we play. If we want to play in a thriving world anyway

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
To give you an small idea of how demented some of these MO players are, just a few weeks ago a few of them got pissed off at a change in how stamina works and litterally started to camp graveyards 24/7 to greef nubes out of the game to “teach SV a lesson”. Trying to extort SV into reversing the changes by beating up on the new players and making them quit. They even made a forum posts about it, trying to incite a “revolt” to revert the stam changes.
This during beta i might add, where absolutely nothing matters and everything gets wiped.

This is but a small sample of the bottomless pit of retardation that a sizable portion of this community often displays. Good luck telling them that they need to be nice to new players.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Nov 27, 2021
To give you an small idea of how demented some of these MO players are, just a few weeks ago a few of them got pissed off at a change in how stamina works and litterally started to camp graveyards 24/7 to greef nubes out of the game to “teach SV a lesson”. Trying to extort SV into reversing the changes by beating up on the new players and making them quit. They even made a forum posts about it, trying to incite a “revolt” to revert the stam changes.
This during beta i might add, where absolutely nothing matters and everything gets wiped.

This is but a small sample of the bottomless pit of retardation that a sizable portion of this community often displays. Good luck telling them that they need to be nice to new players.
There were also a lot of posts suggesting the developers what can be done to improve new players life and fix graveyard problems. It is up to the developers to do something. Did they?

Piet

May 28, 2020

That's the small loud minority. Oddly enough this time around even every rpk guild I know isn't killing noobs.

Reactions: Solaris

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
That's the small loud minority. Oddly enough this time around even every rpk guild I know isn't killing noobs.
It is the few rotten apples that often spoil it for everyone else.

And how long will that last? Those people will be back to their old tricks as soon as everyone has built their keeps and all the nutcups alliances are back in place. Greefers love to greef. They may take a break, bit hey will eventually go back to what they like to do best.

Piet

May 28, 2020
It is the few rotten apples that often spoil it for everyone else.

And how long will that last? Those people will be back to their old tricks as soon as everyone has built their keeps and all the nutcups alliances are back in place. Greefers love to greef. They may take a break, bit hey will eventually go back to what they like to do best.
So far it hasn't ended and it's been about 8 months. Personally though we'll be trying to make the new player experience better.

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
This is a good idea, But its sad because the world is getting so soft. Mfers be crying about anything these days besides trying to do something about it. I Do not plan on killing people ever really, But I fully expect to get my shit pushed in, as should everyone els.
This is so true. People download this game knowing it full loot with open world PVP, but even then people still rage when they die an throw temper tantrums, like lol sorry your not the MLG god you think you are. But even if they go into the game with the idea of avoiding PVP they still should expect people to kill them in game, issue with these people though is they don't learn from their mistakes they just keep making them expecting a different result until they get upset and rage. To put it simply if I die from some PKers in the graveyard why would it be a good idea to head back to the graveyard? No first think I'm going to do is figure out what to do instead, I'm not going to keep trying the same thing expecting a different result.

But I won't lie though there also just some assholes that deliberately go out of their way to ruin people's fun. There was one player in Baki (I'm sure we all know his name by now if we lived in Baki long enough) that spend 24/7 pushing people who were afk in town into the firepit or out of town, mass killing anyone that tried to use the grinder, and always was attempting to blue block people constantly around the Baki town an in the graveyard nearby. The guy literally spend 24/7 trying to grief people. So ya these people exist sadly, but what the saying foul me once shame on you foul me twice shame on me? It safe to say ya the guy is a menaces with what he does in game, but really it also your own fault if you keep falling for the guy's tricks over and over again. People need to stop blaming others for their own inability to learn from their own mistakes.

Reactions: rek2wilds and Tzone

[CTX] Contractor

Dec 31, 2021
CTX will be aiding in the protection & growth of new players.

Do yourself a favor and allow new players to learn and experience the game without the immediate harshness. This will help growth.

For those of you who find yourselves knowingly and willingly killing new players - remember you'll never get any better fighting people who don't even understand the blocking, which means other groups who focus on being better players will walk over you with ease.

CTX for hire.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Im not going to go out of my way to kill noobs but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to deny a player the full experience of the game.

PvP is a experience of the game and not treating a noob like any other player is just denying them game play. Its not fair to them and makes the game less of it self.

The way Ive experienced the game. Players either have the mentality to stay in mo2 or not. Putting kiddy gloves on wont make them not quit when they start playing the real game. If they dont have the mentality to keep playing after being killed then they wont be playing mo2 down the line anyway. They just dont have the mentality to play the game.

Reactions: rek2wilds

[CTX] Contractor

Dec 31, 2021
Hey if I don't kill this guy who has no chance of winning against me, I'm denying him authentic gameplay.

Yeah I don't think that's how that works. There's a keen difference in killing someone in a graveyard, and killing someone out in the world doing what ever.

One clearly poses no challenge or offers any form of rewards. But hey, this is a sandbox after all. If you think killing people who can't even fight back is what you need to do then I suppose you'll never truly find MO2 a fun game.

Reactions: Piet

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Fun fact: A naked player carrying nothing but their worn short sword technically has nothing to lose when they get pk'ed. Meanwhile the pker stands to lose reputation (both statistically and among the community) and incur a murdercount every time they kill an innocent.

The newcomer may be defenceless at face value against a geared up pker. But all the newcomer needs to do is walk up with a grin and dare the pker to kill them, and soon enough the consequences will be greater than any benefit, perceived or otherwise, the pker may want to their name.

Last edited: