Pets are ruining small scale PVP

NYOCHTAR

Sep 21, 2022
I'm surprised this hasn't been brought here before, but I'll be the one to say and take all the criticism: pets are ruining small scale PVP (to me, anything equal to are below a 10v10 is small scale). Most fights in MO2 are much smaller than a 10v10.

With the current mechanics, all a tamer needs to focus on is putting pets on one player for a guaranteed kill, or atleast take that player completely out of the fight until your team supports with a peel. The entire tactic for team fights right now is peeling for pets, which are more threatening than an actual player. More times than not, the pets used are dire wolves or taur dogs that clip into each other making their attacks unreadable to block and impossible to focus down (since they are literally inside eachother). The larger single pets are a bit more manageable killing when your team is focusing it, but man, the wolves and dogs almost impossible to take down without immediately deleting your teammate from a fight.

Mini scale pvp is even worse when you're up against a 2v2 and one of them has wolves or dogs. With pets on you, you're taking 30 damage per second and then only thing you can do is attempt to spam one of the dogs or wolves down before you die to the other pet or get mage banged.

I suggest that pet damage should scale off of the abilities a pet can use from the beast mastery tree rather than off of auto attack. Auto attack damage should be greatly reduced and only act as a focus generator to use the pet's abilities. Also, fix the damn pet clipping. It looks terrible and feels terrible to fight against.

Thanks, dogs.

Locke

Oct 30, 2022
Don't worry pet armor is coming soontm, it will be so much better because you know they really needed to be buffed afterall. :ROFLMAO: It's getting sickening to see this amount of pets around, and it's only going to increase. It feels like I'm playing Pokemon Online 2, Henrik really going after those Ark players. Player skill thrown out of the window.

Xronim

Aug 13, 2020
Nothing says outplayed like a pet that's faster than 90% of builds and does constant 30-40s to decent armor. SV really went too far with making this game's combat as unfun as possible despite it being a "melee combat game", because of the awful balance in general in many things (weapons, armors, races, builds). Hell I even miss MO1 in its infancy because the best pets werent lightning fast and could be reasonably blocked in melee, as well as the combat balance feeling better in general.

NYOCHTAR

Sep 21, 2022
Nothing says outplayed like a pet that's faster than 90% of builds and does constant 30-40s to decent armor. SV really went too far with making this game's combat as unfun as possible despite it being a "melee combat game", because of the awful balance in general in many things (weapons, armors, races, builds). Hell I even miss MO1 in its infancy because the best pets werent lightning fast and could be reasonably blocked in melee, as well as the combat balance feeling better in general.
Yeah, I forgot to mention this in my original post, but you can't outrun pets, and to my knowledge, they have no stamina and can infinitely run at you. What a world.

Reactions: Piet

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Yeah, I forgot to mention this in my original post, but you can't outrun pets, and to my knowledge, they have no stamina and can infinitely run at you. What a world.
bUt yOu cAn KiLL dIrEwOlVeS iN 3 hItS

Last edited:
Reactions: Piet

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
I came to the conclusion MO2 is the second stage of a revenge project for Henrik, with MO1 being the beginning. He has a deep rage and depression slowly releasing after being bottled up for decades. His tamer mage experience in Ultima online, was ruined by the big bag melee man. He has now taken it upon himself to develop games where he advertises skill based melee combat as a trap, then inflicts pain on melee players in some weird sadistic payback.

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
Pets have no stamina bar, thats one of the dumbest things in the game right now.
you can have as many as 4 stupid wolves that, ok, die in 3-4 hits, but lets see you do 16 hits on wolves before a mage and the wolves murder you while you cannot run away because they dont have stamina :D

Honestly, combat pets should not be in the game at all, in their current form, they should not exist. Period.

Piet

May 28, 2020
Imo there's 2 ways they can fix them. They can have the focus bar charge when not in combat and then only beast mastery moves do meaningful damage output or they can have the pets be tankier but have to charge focus in combat and have only the beast master moves do meaningful damage. In either case they need to make CC a child skill of animal care and ACC a sub skill of herding. Currently it's just no skill involved and then combine that with the low amount of skill points it takes to have a viable pet is silly. 82 for a full 125 turtle or it was 10 for a full direwolf, probably like 20 or less now after the nerf.

Reactions: Locke

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
Pets are not a guarenteed kill unless the player being attacked runs away or chooses not to block/DPS.

10/10 times a footie wearing molarium or better can kill your 125 level pet if they spent even a small amount of time learning to block the pet attacks or spam DPS.... Its a skill issue.

Direwolves and taur dogs were just nerfed. Get better armor, better weapons, and actually learn to kill the pet instead of assuming you should be able to do it automatically with no practice. This is a skill based game remember.

A guy wearing reptile carapace can solo kill a turtle at 125 even when you thunderlash him so long as he spam hits the face. he can also survive blocking for around 2 minutes.

I taught a brand new player how to three shot a dire wolf while two were on him using only a cuprum one handed hammer and now he can survive a double dire wolf attack. Just go make a tamer friend and learn to play the game better.

My friend and I did a 2v5 against WZ and DJ the other day. They had two tamers and we were two tamers. But we won because their team had no coordination and were dogwater/didnt know how to block our pets. They folded and decieded to run in circles. Our mage was targeted by two dire wolves and he stabbed one to death while I tlashed it. Yall just doo doo

Locke

Oct 30, 2022
Pets are not a guarenteed kill unless the player being attacked runs away or chooses not to block/DPS.

10/10 times a footie wearing molarium or better can kill your 125 level pet if they spent even a small amount of time learning to block the pet attacks or spam DPS.... Its a skill issue.

Direwolves and taur dogs were just nerfed. Get better armor, better weapons, and actually learn to kill the pet instead of assuming you should be able to do it automatically with no practice. This is a skill based game remember.

A guy wearing reptile carapace can solo kill a turtle at 125 even when you thunderlash him so long as he spam hits the face. he can also survive blocking for around 2 minutes.

I taught a brand new player how to three shot a dire wolf while two were on him using only a cuprum one handed hammer and now he can survive a double dire wolf attack. Just go make a tamer friend and learn to play the game better.

My friend and I did a 2v5 against WZ and DJ the other day. They had two tamers and we were two tamers. But we won because their team had no coordination and were dogwater/didnt know how to block our pets. They folded and decieded to run in circles. Our mage was targeted by two dire wolves and he stabbed one to death while I tlashed it. Yall just doo doo
Yeah let me just eat 4 Tlashes real quick while I try to kill the pet, no big deal. Oh we won a 2 vs 5 everything is fine. Yeah too bad you mentioned you also had pets and the other team just ran like noobs, because you are fully aware that if they even put a minimum of pressure on you, you wouldn't have stood a chance of surviving.

That is the root of the problem, the pet owner is still allowed to freecast or freely fight while his pet is also doing heavy damage for him. A change is required to make it so if pets are to do high damage the pet owner has to be locked / soft locked into animations to allow that type of damage to be done.

This passive 1 button click and forget about it type of damage needs to be nerfed drastically, it's not skill based, not fun and not in line with the rest of the combat aspects of the game.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum

When you see something become so prominent in the world, there's a reason...and that reason is usually because it's the FOTM and strongest thing to utilize within current balance.

There's pets every where, both tamed and risen. A lot of people are rolling mage, archer w/ pet builds due to trinket buffs, because they can click one button to have 1 - 3 pets on person or one pet for each person, while peppering them with magic and arrows. This has become the common interaction with PvP outside of large fights. Now with the addition of pet armor, this makes pets even more tanky and will continue to as more pet armor is added. Small to mid scale PvP is ruined by the amount of high burst damage pets and magic.

Pets require a single click of a button. Pets have high HP and damage output. The main pets being used make kiting for people on foot near impossible due to their speed. Mobs have horrible attack animations that make it difficult to parry in them middle of fighting and kiting. It's the ultimate skilless and cheese thing in the game and is following the same steps as the first game. There needs to be proper balance between melee, archery, magic and pets. Currently there is minimal balance and things are heavily stack on the magic and pets side of things. If you need to rely on a homing missile single click thing in the game....now that is a skill issue.

Pets and magic are supposed to be supplemental things in PvP, not making up the meat & bones. Melee is supposed to be the bread & butter of Mortal Online, hence the effort put into having the most detailed directional combat system in any MMO(Despite it being half baked for a year now). Yet it's the most neglected thing and ranged + single click pet combat is the most focused on thing.

We get it, you want to relive your childhood playing Pokemon yellow on your gameboy. You're just like every other idiot that constantly defends their OP playstyle to keep their one advantage making up for their lack of skill. People like you ruined the first game spamming your "everything is fine" feedback. Some people actually want to see a thriving, fun and skill based MMO. Not some pokemon tab target bullshit MMO.

Reactions: Zbuciorn and Locke

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
When you see something become so prominent in the world, there's a reason...and that reason is usually because it's the FOTM and strongest thing to utilize within current balance.

There's pets every where, both tamed and risen. A lot of people are rolling mage, archer w/ pet builds due to trinket buffs, because they can click one button to have 1 - 3 pets on person or one pet for each person, while peppering them with magic and arrows. This has become the common interaction with PvP outside of large fights. Now with the addition of pet armor, this makes pets even more tanky and will continue to as more pet armor is added. Small to mid scale PvP is ruined by the amount of high burst damage pets and magic.

Pets require a single click of a button. Pets have high HP and damage output. The main pets being used make kiting for people on foot near impossible due to their speed. Mobs have horrible attack animations that make it difficult to parry in them middle of fighting and kiting. It's the ultimate skilless and cheese thing in the game and is following the same steps as the first game. There needs to be proper balance between melee, archery, magic and pets. Currently there is minimal balance and things are heavily stack on the magic and pets side of things. If you need to rely on a homing missile single click thing in the game....now that is a skill issue.

Pets and magic are supposed to be supplemental things in PvP, not making up the meat & bones. Melee is supposed to be the bread & butter of Mortal Online, hence the effort put into having the most detailed directional combat system in any MMO(Despite it being half baked for a year now). Yet it's the most neglected thing and ranged + single click pet combat is the most focused on thing.

We get it, you want to relive your childhood playing Pokemon yellow on your gameboy. You're just like every other idiot that constantly defends their OP playstyle to keep their one advantage making up for their lack of skill. People like you ruined the first game spamming your "everything is fine" feedback. Some people actually want to see a thriving, fun and skill based MMO. Not some pokemon tab target bullshit MMO.
Absolutely. It's prominence shows that something is off. I'm using pets and in a fight with equal numbers on both sides they are 100% OP. And it's just because they act more like an AI- companion for solo-play than a "skill". It's like having a "Leadership-skill" and making friends with NPC-bandits.( please don't)
Primary point balance in general is ALL OVER the place. Some skills are just great no matter what (Archery, (A)CC being by far the best skills) and other skills are just bad or only useful in certain situations.
In general the game seems to be more equipment than skill-based and as a pet-build i can simply bring more equipment.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
Yeah let me just eat 4 Tlashes real quick while I try to kill the pet, no big deal. Oh we won a 2 vs 5 everything is fine. Yeah too bad you mentioned you also had pets and the other team just ran like noobs, because you are fully aware that if they even put a minimum of pressure on you, you wouldn't have stood a chance of surviving.

That is the root of the problem, the pet owner is still allowed to freecast or freely fight while his pet is also doing heavy damage for him. A change is required to make it so if pets are to do high damage the pet owner has to be locked / soft locked into animations to allow that type of damage to be done.

This passive 1 button click and forget about it type of damage needs to be nerfed drastically, it's not skill based, not fun and not in line with the rest of the combat aspects of the game.
So it takes no skill to hip fire no scope someone with magic while using a pet that requires attack and follow commands? All while self parrying and switching targets and using various utility spells? Get gooood bro

NYOCHTAR

Sep 21, 2022
So it takes no skill to hip fire no scope someone with magic while using a pet that requires attack and follow commands? All while self parrying and switching targets and using various utility spells? Get gooood bro
I won't say that it doesn't take skill, but yes, it does take considerably less skill. A melee player needs to do all of those things + parry 3 simultaneous pet attacks, parry the guy poking him with a dagger, manage Stam, try to convert parry into an attack, manage clade actives to sustain HP and defense. The difference between a tamer mage and footie is that the mage can simply run away. If the footie runs, they immediately die to the infinite Stam pets. There is no counter play to pets outside of very few unique scenarios.

Also, just throwing it out there, most pve players use tamer mage combo for a reason. They get the most return for minimal technical skill. It's not a debate. They play mage tamer because they can't play footie 9 times out of 10.

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
I suggest that pet damage should scale off of the abilities a pet can use from the beast mastery tree rather than off of auto attack.
Henrik mentioned, on his last stream, that they are looking at doing more of this.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
But nobody could have POSSIBLY seen this coming. There was no way. No how. It was a complete surprise that the easiest possible playstyle would become the fotm once you allow people to have 3 fighting pets AND ride one of them.
It is sooooo unlike SV to implement something totally broken and OP only to nerf it into the ground right before they bring out the next brokenly OP thing.

Rant over.

Reactions: Gnidex

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
Do you all feel if pets were left unchanged or damage was shifted more to skills, but instead a new primary was added that you needed at 100 to have the current pet damage, would that fix it?

Like aside from the models stacking, is making the player weaker a solution?

The reason I ask is that I think part of the design philosophy of the game is that the strength of pets and other npcs in general is trying to be somewhat realistic. As in, fighting a single high level bear should be somewhat difficult. Fighting a wolfpack should be difficult.

Last edited:

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Yeah so much skill to land hitscan spells and press 1 button to stick your no stam veela speed homing missile pet while ocassionally having to press another button (wow so hardz) to pull them back for heals.

This kid has probably been getting slapped since he started playing by "spinny macro foot fiters" and he can finally get his revenge. Well keep abusing those pets, remember Henrik nerfs by usage...

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
Yeah so much skill to land hitscan spells and press 1 button to stick your no stam veela speed homing missile pet while ocassionally having to press another button (wow so hardz) to pull them back for heals.

This kid has probably been getting slapped since he started playing by "spinny macro foot fiters" and he can finally get his revenge. Well keep abusing those pets, remember Henrik nerfs by usage...
When y'all make posts like this, aren't you aware it just comes across as incessant whining, and not constructive to solving the problem at all?

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Pets have no stamina bar, thats one of the dumbest things in the game right now.
you can have as many as 4 stupid wolves that, ok, die in 3-4 hits, but lets see you do 16 hits on wolves before a mage and the wolves murder you while you cannot run away because they dont have stamina :D

Honestly, combat pets should not be in the game at all, in their current form, they should not exist. Period.
Agreed.