No thief in mortal ii

Zyloth

Nov 24, 2020
One thing I will say for sure. Whether or not thieving even makes it into the game. With 0 skill in thief trees everyone should have a 100% chance to successfully pickpocket anyone in mercy mode.

Point being when I am out in the world and I kill someone, and they kind of seem like a newb to me, if I kind of want to spare them I should have zero cause to question that based on "but what if they weren't really a newb and had something good"? I'm not going to put pilfering in my build because it doesn't do ME enough good to justify it. I'll just take more killshots than I otherwise would have.

Don't give us reasons to kill every newb we see if we don't really want to. Enough people will do that already because that's who they are. If they're in mercy mode we beat them. Let us loot.

I really like this idea. CoE had a similar idea, coup-de-grace vs knock unconscious offer different loot options (all gear vs bags only). If you open that loot bag and see some nice weapons/armor you have to kill to get that gear. Realism is a great point and I think it would help with player retention as well. If any version of mercy looting is implemented it needs to be a longer timer to open bag tho, not taming long but not typical looting either imo.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
To be fair, you should even be able to inspect someone for their outside visibly equipment if you are close enough no matter what, if you guys are asking for realism.
I also want to hear their gold pouches cling.

Thievery, lockpicking and even ways to visibly go incognito are wanted by many for the game.

On the point of hiding your wives and children: Once legal marriage is in-game they will need to add it anyway as your wives will take all you have.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
On the point of hiding your wives and children: Once legal marriage is in-game they will need to add it anyway as your wives will take all you have.

Can you spell it?
A-L-I-M-O-N-Y

I always had Pilfering, snooping and lockpicking on my fighter. Its very useful when you are out and about. If you caught someone offguard, instead of start swinging. Stealing their mage regs, bandages, money or other things useful to them before drawing your weapon has worked multiple of times for me. It was also good for provoking blue blockers in the GY, to get a murdercountless kill on them. Depending how it looks in its possibly new form in MO2 and the investment required, pointwise. Not moneywise. Might give it a go.

During the times when actual daggers were useful I actually stole the one and only dagger of a hybrid before the fight began as he was casting. That was pretty lit. My fighter was the big thur/kal kind. Intimidating and stealing in your face rather than being sneaky. fun.

Last edited:

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
/droploot forces everything out. Armor, weapons, inventory. It is slow and cumbersome. It also requires compliance.

If a person is brought to mercy mode, if the attacker is after a weapon or armor, then it could be applicable. Sparing a life and leaving them naked. (meh)

The idea of being able to check inventory in mercy mode makes sense. They are weak and unable to fight. Check their pockets for anything you want and leave them with their gear and the rest. As others have said, it adds to the immersion of the game - more interation.

As is, the vast majority of players who kill will do so freely. As points have been made, the default reaction to most guilds is "they might not be a noob, kill them and check".

This addition to the game both makes sense logically and from a gameplay PoV.

The real issue is the morality of the players in the game, which belongs in a different thread.

SoftHater

Mar 16, 2021
Hot place full of hate.
I don't who you are,
I don't know what you want,
but i will stalk you,
and rob you when you less expect.

Thievery is an excellent diversion to the boring slaughter-fest, and a cool alternative to KOS-PKs.
A non-greedy non-PVPonly minded player could decide to steal just some items without killing and get flagged.
Less risk less reward for the thief, still some loot for the victim who didn't trashed 2+ hours of play.

If you only like to swing swords there are already plenty of those game out there.

Reactions: agui

JimLit

Nov 20, 2020
As somebody who pickpocketed a LOT in MO1 I say leave it out.

It's a gimmicky troll skill that contributes absolutely nothing to the over all experience of the game or the economy.

• Haha
Reactions: Bicorps

Dimandius

Mar 21, 2021
Bulgaria, EU

It's a gimmicky troll skill that contributes absolutely nothing to the over all experience of the game or the economy.

That's the difference between a common thief and a master thief. Anyone could pick some newbie pockets and steal a few cuprum coins. Master thieves know that thievery is much more about psychology and understanding the world than just mindlessly snatching people's purses. They thrive on the risk and adrenaline that ensues, and they perform bigger and better heists every time, thereby creating commotion and conflict in the world to move it forward.

• Love
Reactions: SoftHater and Slyy

SoftHater

Mar 16, 2021
Hot place full of hate.

I'm not going to argue trying to make you change opinion.
But with this attitude, the logical outcome would be to delete even combat because was shit in MO1 and isn't that shiny jewel in MO2.
Let's all play Hello Kitty the Farmville friendship edition.

Better design is certain expected this time, let's see what they have in oven this time before asking for removal prematurely.

Ciaphas

Mar 28, 2021
thievery-game.com
Thieves should stay!
I can't express enough what a joy it is to track them down, chase them through the streets of the great city of Tindrem and finally slay them somewhere behind library building. It could be better only, if I could drag thieves to those gallows on the main square and hang them there properly. I hope there will be some mechanics added for this.

SoftHater

Mar 16, 2021
Hot place full of hate.
Thieves should stay!
I can't express enough what a joy it is to track them down, chase them through the streets of the great city of Tindrem and finally slay them somewhere behind library building. It could be better only, if I could drag thieves to those gallows on the main square and hang them there properly. I hope there will be some mechanics added for this.
Basically you described Dead by Daylight concept.
Can't wait to see big fat armored warrior guys chasing little skinny thieves in towns.

Reactions: Ciaphas

BongRips

Jun 15, 2020
One thing I will say for sure. Whether or not thieving even makes it into the game. With 0 skill in thief trees everyone should have a 100% chance to successfully pickpocket anyone in mercy mode.

Point being when I am out in the world and I kill someone, and they kind of seem like a newb to me, if I kind of want to spare them I should have zero cause to question that based on "but what if they weren't really a newb and had something good"? I'm not going to put pilfering in my build because it doesn't do ME enough good to justify it. I'll just take more killshots than I otherwise would have.

Don't give us reasons to kill every newb we see if we don't really want to. Enough people will do that already because that's who they are. If they're in mercy mode we beat them. Let us loot.
Absolutely no. If you're going to do that everyone will just mercy and pickpocket everything and voila no murder counts lol.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Absolutely no. If you're going to do that everyone will just mercy and pickpocket everything and voila no murder counts lol.

Guess you missed the multiple times I said I would be ok with it still giving murder counts?