Next Festival/Tournament rule/gear restriction discussion

Bonii

Jun 8, 2020
It's too much to do multiple fights. Keep the 1v1 tournament as a single matter - no need to add a bunch of other tournaments/events as this will just take up too much time so there is no stress on timing.

This should be the final 1v1 tournament of the beta, which is a full ego fest whereby everyone is on an even playing field.

Reactions: Diocles

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
I want to take this opportunity to ask all the people in my DMs complaining about molarium only to speak up in here. If you don't I will not take your opinion into account this time.

I want to start a discussion among everyone here, not be the mediator and do all the work through my DMs. Don't have the time/energy for that atm tbh xD

I will put in some of the things that got mentioned the most:

Steel armour, adjusting sliders should already be enough leniency towards lighter builds (14kg min weight armour if steel/silk)

And the idea of a Tier system
T1 gear you can pick x amount of (steel, heavy carapace, plate scales, incisium,...) weapons/armour
T2 you can pick x amount of equip (keeled scales, ironbone, messing, cuprum, crustacean carapace...)
T3 you can pick x amount of equip (horned scales, molarium, reptile carapace, ...)

I dont think the "only steel armour" is somethign we could do. 14kg min weight is kinda high. Even though this is a melee competition, not sure everyone has min armour carry weight of 14kg

The tier system I like a lot.
While keeping things pretty balanced (everyone has the same choice afterall), it leaves room for personality, different approaches and will look visually quite interesting.
It takes the most amount of work in preparation though (which is fine by me).
And also becomes a ver interesting discussion what materials are to be considered "equal" Tier, based on their price/difficulty to acquire and of course ther weight/damage/protection values. Above materials are just an example

But maybe there's something to be learned or demonstrated by doing the last pre-release events this way, while time and Beta are on your side.

I agree. Which is why I really dont mind taking away some(/all) clades in the effort to achieve better balance. One last, very unrealistic fight, but balanced fight to find the true champion.

This would be a one time thing though and come release thursar passive regen would be again allowed etc and i couldnt do much about it. So i really would have loved to find some kind of balance which does not rely on Beta mechanics.
This does not necessarily mean the next competition must adhere to these rules, just that i would have liked to find these sustainable rules before beta end.

• Love
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Bonii

Jun 8, 2020
This is just too complicated, people can turn on clades before the fight.

Keep it molarium as the armour tier cap / so you can use plate scales, horned scales and keeled scales etc as well, saves work on your side and means it's a level playing field. No need to put so much thought into this.

Knox

Mar 25, 2021
Events want to improve on the rules and gear restrictions and really want the next festival (the last one before wipe, if all goes according to plan) be all about skill.
After listening to a lot of feedback this is what we came up with so far. It still needs a lot of work and polish, so dont hold back and give some constructive criticism

So there really is no economic disadvantage, we wish to provide all gear.
Come as a ghost and be on the exact same playing field as anyone else.

Current idea for the fight:

No healing of any kind
No magic
No bows
No pets
No clades (including thursar passive regen)
after 6 minutes: no more blocking/parrying

weapons will be provided and made of steel
there will be different kinds, e.g. "heavy sword" "light sword" etc

For armour:
One kind of armour for all
Currently thinking of Tindremic knight molarium/silk
sliders can be done to each fighters preferrence, to alow for heavier or lighter play styles (9.67kg-14.35kg)

This is just a pretty rough draft and needs your opinion!
maybe different weapon/armoru material?
different kind of armour? merc plate instead?

blocking/parrying allowed after 6 mins, but instead circle of death again after x minutes? (which for sure is more rng)

let us know! ;)
Good, I cant Block or Parry anyways

Dudz

Dec 12, 2020
Events want to improve on the rules and gear restrictions and really want the next festival (the last one before wipe, if all goes according to plan) be all about skill.
After listening to a lot of feedback this is what we came up with so far. It still needs a lot of work and polish, so dont hold back and give some constructive criticism

So there really is no economic disadvantage, we wish to provide all gear.
Come as a ghost and be on the exact same playing field as anyone else.

Current idea for the fight:

No healing of any kind
No magic
No bows
No pets
No clades (including thursar passive regen)
after 6 minutes: no more blocking/parrying

weapons will be provided and made of steel
there will be different kinds, e.g. "heavy sword" "light sword" etc

For armour:
One kind of armour for all
Currently thinking of Tindremic knight molarium/silk
sliders can be done to each fighters preferrence, to alow for heavier or lighter play styles (9.67kg-14.35kg)

This is just a pretty rough draft and needs your opinion!
maybe different weapon/armoru material?
different kind of armour? merc plate instead?

blocking/parrying allowed after 6 mins, but instead circle of death again after x minutes? (which for sure is more rng)

let us know! ;)
No active clades + no thursar passive heal clade.
No more circle of death, seemed very unfair and targetted last time around. No more block / parry after 6 minutes sounds like a good solution.

Reactions: Suttner

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
This is just too complicated, people can turn on clades before the fight.

Keep it molarium as the armour tier cap / so you can use plate scales, horned scales and keeled scales etc as well, saves work on your side and means it's a level playing field. No need to put so much thought into this.
i mean plate scales are certainly not on the same tier as molarium, no?

someone suggested heavy carapace as material instead of molarium
this would give us a armour weight range of 12.75-21.35
instead of 9.67-14.35

is 12.75 too high of a min armour weight entry for a full melee competition?

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
If you cap the armor at a low weight, you're essentially giving the advantage to certain builds- particularly builds that have a lower armor weight cap, like someone who didn't spec into Heavy Armor. Therefore someone who can wear 27 kg is disadvantaged because all those points invested are wasted. For example, as an Oghmir player, I would be disadvantaged against a Veela FF because they still get to be a fast opponent, but I don't get to be a tanky opponent like my race would naturally be. Capping it at a low weight is how you'll have everyone show up in some version of carapace ranger armor, which is boring and unbalanced.

If you are worried about gear crutching, just cap it at steel. Anyone can get steel, I have given away many steel sets looted from my enemies.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
ironbone fullgrain leather mercenary plate armor and Steel weapons. with clade gifts. if u cant use 16kg armor u cant partecipate.

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
If you cap the armor at a low weight, you're essentially giving the advantage to certain builds- particularly builds that have a lower armor weight cap, like someone who didn't spec into Heavy Armor. Therefore someone who can wear 27 kg is disadvantaged because all those points invested are wasted. For example, as an Oghmir player, I would be disadvantaged against a Veela FF because they still get to be a fast opponent, but I don't get to be a tanky opponent like my race would naturally be. Capping it at a low weight is how you'll have everyone show up in some version of carapace ranger armor, which is boring and unbalanced.

If you are worried about gear crutching, just cap it at steel. Anyone can get steel, I have given away many steel sets looted from my enemies.
to make it clear, i would provide all armour/weapons for everyone

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
I just don't understand this strict limitation on gear. There's never going to be a player who can't afford a steel set who can beat me in a duel. If you can't grab a steel set (assuming your build can wear one), then you are going to get flawlessed by me even if I'm naked with a worn shortsword. It doesn't matter if you have a million hours in Mordhau or whatever game you want, you're not going to pop into the game and be a competitive top-level fighter if you don't play enough to practice. Steel gear is nothing, it's so easy to get a set. To say it again, I think low weight gear is not so much about making things 'fair' as making certain builds superior. If you set a low weight limit, you're just dunking on oghmir and similar builds. A footfighter oghmir has 87 or 89 dex at best, so they're slow- but they can wear very heavy armor, which is the trade off and of course the purpose of creating that character. If you then tell this oghmir they have to fight a Veela who has 116 or 121 dex, but they can only wear a set of gear that is around the limit of the Veela's armor weight limit, you're giving a certain build an advantage. The veela can now wear the best armor that their build is capable of wearing, and they've still got the mobility that is their advantage. However, the oghmir is still slow, and now he wears gear that is significantly worse than he would in a "real fight."

What is this supposed to prove? I can get a full steel set in less than an hour of farming. You can also get gear that is not much worse than steel pretty easily, by farming reptile carapace or heavy carapace- which winds up weighing 22 or 23kg when crafted into plate gear. So, all these sets of gear can be acquired in literally 30 minutes of farming. If you're too new to the game to be able to acquire such an armor set, you weren't about to seriously compete in a dueling tournament anyways. So, again, why is this rule even considered? I can show you step-by-step how easy it is to acquire this gear. A single hour will get you a good heavy set. Give me an hour and I can farm you 2-3 sets actually. I'm bleeding steel gear, I don't have room for all my sets in my bank, I have regularly given them away.

So, reasons why to have such a low weight set are exactly what again? To not be 'gear crutching' unfairly? Fine, nobody can wear Cronite or Tungsteel. Done. I just explained how absurdly easy it is to get a steel set at the moment, it requires absolute minimal farming, that anyone who is a competitive level player has ample time to do.

Reactions: Diocles

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
That's how I saw it as well, Mega
Especially as I plan on handing out any equipment needed. If that means 100 steel sets, so be it :D
But I am an Ogh myself, so certainly biased and trying to be open to other views.

The reason why molarium only was what i put on the table was the many, many complaints in general chat and my dms saying making it molarium only would make it more about skil etc etc

I would like these people to step up and say it themselves, just like you did.

Reactions: LordMega

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli
Going forward and trying to improve your tournament is a great attitude.
With the right improvements you will surely be able to design the best tournament in myrland.
Courage!

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
That's how I saw it as well, Mega
Especially as I plan on handing out any equipment needed. If that means 100 steel sets, so be it :D
But I am an Ogh myself, so certainly biased and trying to be open to other views.

Thank you. I'm glad we agree, and I am sincerely looking for an argument against what I've said. It's a debate I've had with friends on this game before, but nobody has produced a convincing counter-argument for me yet. I just want some rationale for the opposing viewpoint, because I am genuinely open to ideas, but I want good reasons to hold a differing viewpoint here. I don't want to dismiss anyone's opinion, but I don't see a solid reason to see it any other way.

foe

Oct 26, 2021
I think its not too complicated

for the 1v1 tournament:

Molarium armor as the cap, no active clades usage, no healing items whatsoever, Steel weapon cap, both fighters quickly stream their clades in Event Management discord before the fight begins.

5v5 tournament:

Molarium armor as the cap, all active clade usage allowed, all healing items allowed, Steel weapon cap.

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
I think its not too complicated

for the 1v1 tournament:

Molarium armor as the cap, no active clades usage, no healing items whatsoever, Steel weapon cap, both fighters quickly stream their clades in Event Management discord before the fight begins.

5v5 tournament:

Molarium armor as the cap, all active clade usage allowed, all healing items allowed, Steel weapon cap.
Can you get into more detail as to why molarium should be the cap for armour?
Again, I dont mind supplying anyone steel armour (orwhatever) if the economical difference is the worry

Reactions: Najwalaylah

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021
Personal invite to participates only with just one stream of it TBH. You need a good location like GK. Sadly, this game can't perform well with a lot of people. I highly encourage you trimming the fat of people coming to the event.

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
So I guess I'll assume that nobody has a rational explanation as to why to limit armor weight. Since I laid out my reasoning, and nobody has chosen to reply to it. The only reasonable assumption is there is no response, because there is no good reasoning for that balance other than 'I don't play enough to farm gear' which is hogwash.

See you all in steel armor next time then.