Next Festival/Tournament rule/gear restriction discussion

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
Events want to improve on the rules and gear restrictions and really want the next festival (the last one before wipe, if all goes according to plan) be all about skill.
After listening to a lot of feedback this is what we came up with so far. It still needs a lot of work and polish, so dont hold back and give some constructive criticism

So there really is no economic disadvantage, we wish to provide all gear.
Come as a ghost and be on the exact same playing field as anyone else.

Current idea for the fight:

No healing of any kind
No magic
No bows
No pets
No clades (including thursar passive regen)
after 6 minutes: no more blocking/parrying

weapons will be provided and made of steel
there will be different kinds, e.g. "heavy sword" "light sword" etc

For armour:
One kind of armour for all
Currently thinking of Tindremic knight molarium/silk
sliders can be done to each fighters preferrence, to alow for heavier or lighter play styles (9.67kg-14.35kg)

This is just a pretty rough draft and needs your opinion!
maybe different weapon/armoru material?
different kind of armour? merc plate instead?

blocking/parrying allowed after 6 mins, but instead circle of death again after x minutes? (which for sure is more rng)

let us know! ;)

Last edited:

Bonii

Jun 8, 2020
Minimise all forms of RNG. No death circle, let the two players fight and skill will decide the winner. No blocking/parrying is great, get someone to time 6 minutes though so it is fair.

Great rules, lots of preparation needed and signup closing date will need to be in advance of the tournament so crafting can be done accordingly.

Define no clades - this should just be no thursar regeneration IMO.

Moving in the right direction, Suttner. Good work.

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
Minimise all forms of RNG. No death circle, let the two players fight and skill will decide the winner. No blocking/parrying is great, get someone to time 6 minutes though so it is fair.

Great rules, lots of preparation needed and signup closing date will need to be in advance of the tournament so crafting can be done accordingly.

Define no clades - this should just be no thursar regeneration IMO.

Moving in the right direction, Suttner. Good work.
I always time the fights (due to usual circle after 3, no healing after 5 or similiar previous rules. Often i actually had someone else time it even, so i could focus on other things :D )

The clades i kept kinda unclear to start a discussion here
some said no clades at all (literally, not even stat/size ones) aka pressing the "unlearn all clades" button before fight
Some said no clades affecting anything but attributes etc (so no veela jump etc)
some said no active clades at all + no passive thursar clade
some said no active clades only
some said no thursar passive regen only

and some said allow all clades

What shall it be? :)

Bonii

Jun 8, 2020
No active clades at all + no passive Thursar clade personally.

Other passives are fine, because you cannot track if someone turns these on mid fight.

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
No active clades at all + no passive Thursar clade personally.

Other passives are fine, because you cannot track if someone turns these on mid fight.
i mean veela combat jump you could

but the others... not so much yes

I personally agree with your opinion on that as well. i think it is the most balanced and its about balance this time

But i would also like to hear other opinions and especially the reasoning behind it as well!

Moored

Mar 24, 2021
After release it won't be so easy to unlearn clades gifts, I feel as though there should be no clade gift restrictions. I think thursar regen should be allowed-- an alvarin winning will just be that much more impressive.

It seemed the average fight lasted 1-2 minutes last tournament. Kinda surprising considering all the flak in forums about parryfest low skill floor etc.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
Talking about passive regen:

it was suggested to ban the passive regen skill as well...

I'm veeeery uncertain about this

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Bonii

Jun 8, 2020
Talking about passive regen:

it was suggested to ban the passive regen skill as well...

I'm veeeery uncertain about this
Leave passive regen as it is, it's like 10 hp a minute at maxium.

After release it won't be so easy to unlearn clades gifts, I feel as though there should be no clade gift restrictions. I think thursar regen should be allowed-- an alvarin winning will just be that much more impressive.

It seemed the average fight lasted 1-2 minutes last tournament. Kinda surprising considering all the flak in forums about parryfest low skill floor etc.

No, get rid of this absolutely broken clade.

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021

The issue of not unlearnign clades is my big concern as well

I wanted to use the beta to find a concept we can also use come release (where it will not be possible to unlearn clades just for a tournament).

I dont mind doing this last one before release with the options we have been given thorugh beta (aka being able to unlearn clades easily), if it helps us find some actual balance (maybe for the last time)
But i would also have liked to find a concept that is "sustainable" so to speak

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
Leave passive regen as it is, it's like 10 hp a minute at maxium.

No, get rid of this absolutely broken clade.

I agree on the passive regen skill, personally

and I want to point out that i always use the festivals to show the devs some broken things they need to work on.
Maybe this time it was (unintentionally) the passive regen of thursars they should work on in general

All in all I cannot do balancing jobs that SV needs to do and want to find some kind of rules that dont need to be changed for the "flavour race of the month" or whatever, if that makes sense (which thinking about it might be an impossible task :D )

Moored

Mar 24, 2021
If you want to be the best 1v1 champion you will probably have to play a Thursar. Or maybe you don't, that's what's cool about skill based combat. I think gear restrictions is as far as you should go on balancing the field. I do play a thursar so there is my bias.

Reactions: Diocles

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
Why can't people just be allowed to take long on their fights? I understand that "it will take a long time" or whatever, that's part of the fun. I have disliked the idea that fights need to be timed for a while now, to me this is anti-competitive. There's no need to have rules about time. This is a throwback to the tournament Myrmex held back in Alpha, where after I think 5 minutes or something, the person with the larger HP % remaining won the fight. Just let the fight happen, if it takes 10 minutes it takes 10 minutes. So what if the tournament takes an extra hour, if it's viewed as a more competitive and legitimate event.

Bonii

Jun 8, 2020
Why can't people just be allowed to take long on their fights? I understand that "it will take a long time" or whatever, that's part of the fun. I have disliked the idea that fights need to be timed for a while now, to me this is anti-competitive. There's no need to have rules about time. This is a throwback to the tournament Myrmex held back in Alpha, where after I think 5 minutes or something, the person with the larger HP % remaining won the fight. Just let the fight happen, if it takes 10 minutes it takes 10 minutes. So what if the tournament takes an extra hour, if it's viewed as a more competitive and legitimate event.
I agree on this, I initially said 10 mins then no blocking - as this is a good timeframe.

Reactions: Diocles

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
I had fights like this
and if you have a few participants its not about 1 hour longer, but 2-3 hours :D

people leave, fights get won by default in the actual more interesting higher end brackets due to the earlier fights taking so long and the fighters leaving out of boredom etc

i mean you do the math, if we have 32 competitiors again
maybe more, you will quickly see thats too much

especially as thats just one of multiple competitions at the festival
festival goes on for 5+ hours as is already ^^

Last edited:

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
I had fights like this
and if you have a few participants its not about 1 hour longer, but 2-3 hours :D

people leave, fights get won by default in the actual more interesting higher end brackets due to the earlier fights taking so long and the fighters leaving out of boredom etc

i mean you do the math, if we have 32 competitiors again
maybe more, you will quickly see thats too much

especially as thats just one of multiple competitions at the festival
festival goes on for 5+ hours as is already ^^

Okay, but let's be realistic man. Most players do not have the skill to fight a 10 minute duel. Just look at how many of last tournament's fights were ended before the 5-minute mark. And even in a duel between 2 players who can parry, very often you have a player that can still land hits because they know how to hide their attack with feints or animations. Adding 20 more competitors isn't going to mean 20 more 10+ minute fights.