MO 2 world map

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Are you going to try and triangulate? You would still need accurate degree measurements; and the compass is dubious at best.
Not exactly, close but it involves a mix of distance, bearings as well as true north calculations.

It allows for a mix of lazy inaccurate measurements mixed with accurate ones to give a decent accuracy of placing yourself in relation to objects, objects in relation to each other from a distance etc.

Shin

Dec 2, 2020
Not exactly, close but it involves a mix of distance, bearings as well as true north calculations.

It allows for a mix of lazy inaccurate measurements mixed with accurate ones to give a decent accuracy of placing yourself in relation to objects, objects in relation to each other from a distance etc.
So you would get some approximate x/y coordinates? Would it fuck things up that Nave is actually flat? How fast can you do these calculations per point?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
You need same approximate height from where you are taking data, you need to actually run out and be on at least 2/3rds of all locations you want on your map measured from, in a certain order.

Note down specific data and once that is gathered for the locations you want its all about painfully going through all the data and making a map.

Depending on how many points of data you add per object you get higher precision, but the minimal of 2 is enough for making a rough map.
The entire thing starts with measuring up ONE point of reference to decide the distances for the entire thing and then used for the entire map.
This is done with a different method entirely, but is using the data from the other measurements. Since we have our movement speed in a tangible metric ingame it'll be easy to measure by foot to get the initial measurements.

The main thing this saves is the time spent measuring distances between objects by foot like we did last time.
The main shortfall is its impossible to measure the size of objects to any degree of accuracy and its not what the method is meant to do anyway, that has to be done with different methods.

For a first map draft getting all POIs, such as mountains, significant hills, structures, towns, big rocks etc noted down to a location in relation to other objects is more than enough.

There is a reason why i'm waiting for horses for this shit.
Plus i'll make a sheet that lets me basically generate a map from the data if i want to do it that way.
Prep work will almost be more work than the actual legwork.

Im too swamped in studies, cyberpunk coming out and the fact i'll be gone for work soon.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Pig Farm needs to be further west. As it appears on the map it looks like Pig Farm is right next to Fab. However, Pig Farm is a considerable run from Fab. It's much closer to Tindrem in-fact.

I haven't timed it yet but Kranesh felt like a very short run from Fab compared to Pig Farm.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
The distance between Fab and Kranesh is about the same as in mo1. Haven't run around enough to find out if you can actually get back up to fab as quick as in mo1 though. Drop off is indeed a drop off this time around it seems.

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
@Rhias is creating the world map and @Vakirauta is making town maps. The website itself was aimed for the original end of December MO2 release and is still on track for that. Its got a lot of the old features and some new ones too!

View attachment 532

does this mean this time round you'll be using this @Rhias map graphic for your interactive site @Slyy ?
and town maps too ?
sounds awesome if so

Reactions: Slyy

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
I'll prolly get flamed for this, but:
1.) Doesn't the fact that there's map key in Settings | Key Binds, imply something?
2.) Can't a perfect map be created by extracting data from the client files?

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I'll prolly get flamed for this, but:
1.) Doesn't the fact that there's map key in Settings | Key Binds, imply something?
2.) Can't a perfect map be created by extracting data from the client files?
1.) I assume it's just a copy paste thing. I think in the recent patches they cleared up the keybindings. Before there were more keybindings that said inccorect stuff.
2.) Should be possible with enough knowledge. There are also other programs available which can copy what your graphic card currently renders. So you would just need to teleport somehow far up into the sky and then rip it with such a program. I don't need to mention that this could easily lead into a ban, do I?

Reactions: Vagrant

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
1.) I assume it's just a copy paste thing. I think in the recent patches they cleared up the keybindings. Before there were more keybindings that said inccorect stuff.
2.) Should be possible with enough knowledge. There are also other programs available which can copy what your graphic card currently renders. So you would just need to teleport somehow far up into the sky and then rip it with such a program. I don't need to mention that this could easily lead into a ban, do I?
1.) Thanks Rhias, very handy. Figured there was a reasonable explanation.
2.) Sounds like you could use that program you mentioned, and run around in ghost mode, travel to mountain peaks, and collect everything legitimately. Or I could be wrong; I don't want to suggest anything illicit.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
A1FC4B9A349C110C1BA8B79EA3C93E8620A97933

ADB18D43FF305C00A1CCCAD166F53FE3E85E0764

9F84C39B1B56C3EB3EEFA79F59400E4A7632E712

F061D5800A0D34C18F0F1D68FD88B91262CA5C15

AC7E564660513E6FB262C18391E1BA34E7AB3985
nice, are these walls coming all the way from tindrem?

Nesato

Nov 26, 2020
From Portugal
I swear I can never find my way after hitting an invisle wall.
Also a very clear path is seen behind the mountain , from Tindrem in the direction of GK, that's nice.

Reactions: Vagrant