is time to make smart choices for the future of the game

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
in this order:

- take your time to fix server issues. use this time as the bigges stress test ever (as it is)

- once the issues are fixed, or at least improved, wipe the server

- do a proper launch day

it is now running almost a week since the official "launch" day and still there are major issues. additionally, there have been unfair adjustments towards Haven players, suc has being forced in it until clade level 2 and reduction of mobs clade xp gains (and I acknowledge it as someone who left haven in the first 2 hours from launch in all my accounts)

during beta, the game was working near-flawlessly. then, the idea of adding a major content patch combined with a huge (and undestrandably unexpected) influx of players led to the situation we are now. The dev team made an amazing job with MO2 before launch, don't let a sub-par launch day forever tarnished the game reputation like this. make the smart choice of wiping and re-launching when the issues are fixed. subs are not active yet, so technically the game never officially launched.

ps: also, the no-wipe policy henrik mentioned has been already breached, as per the last 24h rollback just issued (which hit very hard only the people who finally managed to play 2-3 days after launch).

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
The longer they wait the lower will the acceptance for a wipe be. I think it might already be way too late.

now would be the perfect time, as they already did a ling rollback with confirmed exploits. the exploits would be a perfect explanation for it

The Khan

Dec 21, 2021
there doesn't need to be a total wipe, nor relaunch

i don't think they should have "hard launched" the game like they did in the first place.

the 24 hour rollback was not by choice, it was due to data corruption / technical issues.

sucks for everybody that is affected by it (including me), but it is what it is

they should potentially do partial rollbacks of people that amassed too much gold with exploits, and I still think they should re-roll the keeps, but if they don't, it's not the end of the world.

if a 1 week, or 2 week, or even a *month* head start is enough to totally break the game long term, then there are fundamental problems with the basic design of the systems

if/when things are running smoothly, the majority of us will get over it in a day or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulysses

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
if/when things are running smoothly, the majority of us will get over it in a day or two.

I don't disagree, but I am not seeing that point. haha. Also, they should be able to look at banks and tell who has too many mats. W/ all these server issues, tho, I wonder if their logs aren't really fucked, too.

The head start part, again, has nothing to do with this. Exploits, yes, that's part of it, but mostly it's due to the fact that the game is not working, so it should be shelved until it IS working. They could probably work a lot harder on fixing the game with the servers down. I really do think they should consider a re-launch. Step back, get their shit together, if there is a hard cap, let us know what it is... we want to play w/ o lag and crashes. Refund the money of the people who want out. Some people are just done, and that's cool. They owe it to us IMO, at this point. But they are playing the 'go thru steam card," and of course most people can't refund cuz who has 2 hrs in MO. They informed me there will be no refund on pre-steam accts.

They need to give people back their money, get them the hell out of here, and start from zero. That's what you do when you massively fuck up. There is a point beyond where things can be salvaged. THAT is the point. The fact that we've reached this point in days opposed to years is potentially a good thing because re-launching at that point would be a total shitshow. This, however, is something that would benefit all parties. If the server can only handle 2000 people then, as I said in the post people can't understand, set it up, math it out +/- for all time zones, begin a waiting list for those who exceed the cap. GG. Get the game running well THEN add in people. If you have too many people to fit on your servers... so many people that you basically crash out your shit even trying to queue them in properly (even if you relauch at 5am,) then you need to take a hard look at what is going on, not try to fix the problem while the people are still trying to get in.

The Khan

Dec 21, 2021
They need to give people back their money, get them the hell out of here, and start from zero.

refund people's money that want out, sure.

still don't see the need to restart from zero. they wouldn't have done this 24 hr rollback if there was a different option.

i'd have rather they had a strategy to soft launch the game (or rolling release, or whatever you want to call it)

most of the shit that *most* of us have been able to accomplish this past week has just been "housekeeping" shit like getting guilds bought, the framework for builds completed, etc.

it's only a handful of the larger guilds that have managed to still have enough people no-lifing this to get much of an advantage & claim keeps. Reset or partial reset some of those people -- or don't, I'm really indifferent. (I wasn't going to be part of getting a keep last week anyway, and neither were most of the rest of us)

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
The problem is server capacity, that's it. Even though thousands of people are stuck in queue, the server gets bogged down to the point where the game is unplayable (takes a full minute to get on your mount, and then another minute for that mount to be able to move, for example). The fact of the matter is simple- this was always going to be an issue. Too many people for a single server. StarVault needs to focus on improving server capacity and stabilizing performance under a load. That's the bottom line. This queue stuff is just a distraction from that fact. Every time the server reboots, the first people to queue eventually get in. The rest are stuck outside because the server is effectively full. I queued about 5 minutes after the server came up yesterday, and 12 hours later I was still not in game although I was very close to the front of the queue- server rebooted probably just before I would have finally gotten on.

Any other game company would do the obvious and roll out another server or two so that the amount of players that wanted to play the game could get in and play. Obviously this move in any game is a risk because population for MMORPGs declines over time (even if it rises at first, eventually there will be a falloff, weeks or months or years down the road). But StarVault has been adamant about only having one server, so they've backed themselves into a corner where the only option is to have a very high-capacity, capable server.

I'm patient enough to wait and give them some time to improve the server, but there will always be a hard wall of technological and financial limitations. Therefore, MO2 will never have the population that it could potentially have. It will never see that level of growth that could be reached. A lot of people are not that patient.

Good luck to Star Vault and good luck to us all.

Reactions: TheOnlyRook

Exiledkhallisi

Jan 27, 2022
There needs to be a wipe.

Some guilds have found ways to stay in game near permanently with afk macros and what appears to be players with no job in real life? I blame governmental handholding. Regardless, these guilds that have done this are so astronomically ahead of everyone when things finally clear up...half the playerbase will be coming into a hardcore full loot pvp world where players in full steel will be 1 shotting them.

The risar exploit has given some single players excess of thousands of gold. I personally know a solo player with over 6000g

Its one thing to promise persistence and no wipes.. but after the failure of this launch that seems almost indefinate..i think a wipe is fair...a re-launch.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
a wipe will not magically get rid of 9k players that want to play.

once wipe is done, the same server instability and ridicilously long queue will persist because of the amount of players wanting to play.

wipe does nothing but remove some gold and reset keeps. The same guilds will rush to reclaim their spots in 24 to 48 hours. Wipe is useless.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
There needs to be a wipe.

Some guilds have found ways to stay in game near permanently with afk macros and what appears to be players with no job in real life? I blame governmental handholding. Regardless, these guilds that have done this are so astronomically ahead of everyone when things finally clear up...half the playerbase will be coming into a hardcore full loot pvp world where players in full steel will be 1 shotting them.

The risar exploit has given some single players excess of thousands of gold. I personally know a solo player with over 6000g

Its one thing to promise persistence and no wipes.. but after the failure of this launch that seems almost indefinate..i think a wipe is fair...a re-launch.

I want the game to work, if people are playing in a semi-unplayable lagfest to gain mats then lol grats to them. If the game is working well for some people and not others, that's cool for the ones who it is working for... and I hope SV figures out why.

I agree that a wipe is not the answer, but they should be able to look, I mean there are stats for mobs killed. They can easily look at who killed too many mobs and at least drastically reduce their money. The wipe goes along with everything else, though. JUST wiping will do nothing. We all basically want to play the game. I really believed SV could get the game running in a state that was like closed beta. TBH, I was in Bakti (which got pretty populated, in fact, it was pretty populated when I spawned in and people kept coming in) node and it didn't start lagging for quite awhile. So the game can sustain a good amount of people. I went to get a horse and there were tons of people coming back and forth to check the horse spawn. And there might have been some lag, but it wasn't noticable, it was basically 'normal MMO lag' at most. Then it just started to shit. The real question is what causes the shit, there are theories, but I dunno if even SV has an answer. I do think their server should be able to hold like 2-3k people, and that's a lot of people. That's enough to make MO a functioning game. Most people aren't gonna last in this game, believe it or not. There are still like half of the people who are saying remove pvp or make pvp restrictions more serious. 2-3k people is probably a healthy pop for MO. That's A LOT of people. If we can get that level of activity at most hours, that would be highly successful, imo. Aiming for more than that, at this point, is crazy.

The game obviously cannot support 9k people, we know that. All those people who were having fun in haven would be grinding their teeth in Myrland, but they don't know it yet. They will find it out. That's why I say I really think Haven needs to be removed. Take everyone in haven and spawn them onto the map somewhere, haha. SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST. Time for just 'fuck everything' solutions. People who can't survive, sorry, but we need to get the people who can survive and WANT to deal with the griefy, grindy (but immersive) world that is MO IN THE GAME. I don't think now is the time to be courting new players when you can't even get your core pop in, but that's just me... and HAVEN is a big ruse on that level. It's not MO at all.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I want the game to work, if people are playing in a semi-unplayable lagfest to gain mats then lol grats to them. If the game is working well for some people and not others, that's cool for the ones who it is working for... and I hope SV figures out why.

I agree that a wipe is not the answer, but they should be able to look, I mean there are stats for mobs killed. They can easily look at who killed too many mobs and at least drastically reduce their money. The wipe goes along with everything else, though. JUST wiping will do nothing. We all basically want to play the game. I really believed SV could get the game running in a state that was like closed beta. TBH, I was in Bakti (which got pretty populated, in fact, it was pretty populated when I spawned in and people kept coming in) node and it didn't start lagging for quite awhile. So the game can sustain a good amount of people. I went to get a horse and there were tons of people coming back and forth to check the horse spawn. And there might have been some lag, but it wasn't noticable, it was basically 'normal MMO lag' at most. Then it just started to shit. The real question is what causes the shit, there are theories, but I dunno if even SV has an answer. I do think their server should be able to hold like 2-3k people, and that's a lot of people. That's enough to make MO a functioning game. Most people aren't gonna last in this game, believe it or not. There are still like half of the people who are saying remove pvp or make pvp restrictions more serious. 2-3k people is probably a healthy pop for MO. That's A LOT of people. If we can get that level of activity at most hours, that would be highly successful, imo. Aiming for more than that, at this point, is crazy.

The game obviously cannot support 9k people, we know that. All those people who were having fun in haven would be grinding their teeth in Myrland, but they don't know it yet. They will find it out. That's why I say I really think Haven needs to be removed. Take everyone in haven and spawn them onto the map somewhere, haha. SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST. Time for just 'fuck everything' solutions. People who can't survive, sorry, but we need to get the people who can survive and WANT to deal with the griefy, grindy (but immersive) world that is MO IN THE GAME. I don't think now is the time to be courting new players when you can't even get your core pop in, but that's just me... and HAVEN is a big ruse on that level. It's not MO at all.
Lol u so in panic mode that u want them to remove the tutorial island for an arbitrary whim, they need to fix the game somehow (which i doubt they can) and the pop will die out till the server can handle it.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Lol u so in panic mode that u want them to remove the tutorial island for an arbitrary whim, they need to fix the game somehow (which i doubt they can) and the pop will die out till the server can handle it.

the tutorial island is trash and was the original cause of this issue (they allocated too many resources to it, which means, to me... that they can remove ALL resources and put them ALL into Myrland) lol. Why the fuck is there a tutorial island Mr. "I've killed many horses?" In MO1 it made sense because they had like 400 people and everyone was getting camped out, in MO2, it doesn't... at all.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Lol u so in panic mode that u want them to remove the tutorial island for an arbitrary whim,
Some people are TIRED of it (the Haven) and are at the same time AFRAID to leave for fear of failing to get back in anywhere.

Boredom and fear of what's beyond your control is a terrible combination, and (often) leads to terrible ideas & decisions.

Reactions: Psyop

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
MO2 the hardcore, immersive full loot sandbox, now with instanced tutorial islands!

Psyop

Jan 29, 2022
Some people are TIRED of it (the Haven) and are at the same time AFRAID to leave for fear of failing to get back in anywhere.

Boredom and fear of what's beyond your control is a terrible combination, and (often) leads to terrible ideas & decisions.

I have succumbed to the boredom demon and now I am a slave for queue. Time to hang myself.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
the tutorial island is trash and was the original cause of this issue (they allocated too many resources to it, which means, to me... that they can remove ALL resources and put them ALL into Myrland) lol. Why the fuck is there a tutorial island Mr. "I've killed many horses?" In MO1 it made sense because they had like 400 people and everyone was getting camped out, in MO2, it doesn't... at all.
Thats... not how it works lol