How to prevent people from deleting items after looting!

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Not sure if nobody of you played MO1 in the last few years but there is already a feature in place that prevents deleting items that got looted from blue people to prevent grief through instant-deleting. They will be marked as stolen (for 3 minutes?) and can only be carried, or put back into the loot bag. And only after the criminal-countdown it can be deleted.
Just saying for the sake of completeness.

Stevetibb95

Oct 21, 2020
yeah i never liked that you can destroy items just by dragging them out of inventory... just like in Rust people emptying people chests even tho they can't carry all of it, just for the sake of deleting everything
Exactly!

Stevetibb95

Oct 21, 2020
Not sure if nobody of you played MO1 in the last few years but there is already a feature in place that prevents deleting items that got looted from blue people to prevent grief through instant-deleting. They will be marked as stolen (for 3 minutes?) and can only be carried, or put back into the loot bag. And only after the criminal-countdown it can be deleted.
That's good i did not know this!

Stevetibb95

Oct 21, 2020
I'd rather default function is dropping items on the ground. And as @Amadman says, destroying should be an action that you have to do, taking time. Or maybe even require a fireplace to burn the item, to speed things up.

If clutter is a problem, just make items congregate to the nearest lootbag in the area if there are too many. Even show an indicator which bag its going when you drop the item, maybe even make lootbags look different based on total weight+amount in the lootbag so you can see from a bit of distance if a bag looks like it contains a lot of items or if its basically empty.
I think backpacks could make this more interesting aswell.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
But is it making a return? Very important that it is. :p

Reactions: Stevetibb95

Stevetibb95

Oct 21, 2020
That is a point, but I care more about fighting and killing than about gold and gear. Deleting stuff helps the ambitious player who takes on multiple enemies or larger groups.
that's absolutely a garbage mentality and again ...unrealistic , and not deleting enemy loot is not "carebear" in the slightest. If you have good teamwork and skill you still would be able to prevent them from coming to get their stuff.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
And you'll have loads of spare gear, which i've heard somewhere we might be getting a recycling mechanic to break down items?

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
that's absolutely a garbage mentality and again ...unrealistic , and not deleting enemy loot is not "carebear" in the slightest. If you have good teamwork and skill you still would be able to prevent them from coming to get their stuff.
I question your experience.

Silly to call realism in a game with magic spells.

Team work when you are fighting 3 people and want to delete gear so you can beat them instead of fighting until they eventually overwhelm you? Or when you have a few guys outside of town fighting all comers and they can just res and run back out with the guards in 30 seconds and be right back into the fight?

Carebear IS being so afraid to lose your loot that you ask for a mechanic to crutch on.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
The loot is still gone though? So how is it carebear to expect people to actually have to deal with the consequences?
If anything you are on the fence of carebearism here, you're the one who want it easy.

You kill someone, if you want to make sure they or someone else dont get the loot, grab it. If you don't want the gear yourself, just go drop it off in a bush somewhere? Or bring it with you and destroy it when you are in a safer area?

God damn carebears always wanting the easy way out.

With how you want it, how about when you die, everything on your body just disappears. No loot mmo, best game ever.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
The loot is still gone though? So how is it carebear to expect people to actually have to deal with the consequences?
If anything you are on the fence of carebearism here, you're the one who want it easy.

You kill someone, if you want to make sure they or someone else dont get the loot, grab it. If you don't want the gear yourself, just go drop it off in a bush somewhere? Or bring it with you and destroy it when you are in a safer area?

God damn carebears always wanting the easy way out.

With how you want it, how about when you die, everything on your body just disappears. No loot mmo, best game ever.
What? I want to be able to delete loot, you want it to remain on the ground for the defeated person to recover. How am I carebear?

Yes, I want to grab their loot and delete some of it because you cannot carry enough and still run.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Helm, torso and weapon will easily range to 10-15 kg. So you might be able to combat loot 4 enemies (assuming you are a max strength character and carry no spare gear youself). Not being able to delete will hamper the possibility to fight enemies with big numbers but low skill.

It´s not exactly a carebear suggestion and I get where people are coming from, but with the current combat I don´t think cutting down the few options small groups have is a good idea.

Reactions: Rorry

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Well if you don't actually want the loot, just picking it up and dropping it somewhere else is basically enough to keep them from coming back to regear though.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
cant really delete stuff mid-battle unless you are not being attacked. pick up too much loot and now encumbered? you gonna die because you cant delete it. allowing for dropping of loot is a far better solution.

-barcode

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Nah, it only takes 10 or 15 seconds before you can delete. That is much different than running away somewhere to hide it in a bush.