Add forced player looting

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
To anyone arguing against this idea... for me it comes dow to this: A Sandbox should provide the tools to allow the players to do whatever they want. With the options suggested someone could still just kill and loot as usual. Options are good. With options the PLAYERS decide what to do.

The main problem with this is that in a game you can respawn an infinite amount of time and be free from most consequences

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
No.

The map is massive, so being robbed somewhere can mean not having your time wasted of ghosting back.

Also, being robbed could imply someone only takes your money and everything else is left alone.

Also, someone could just look into your inventory then take nothing at all.

Also, some people kill to kill. Some people just want items. This isn't in my eyes ground for reputation loss.

You know in game development you have to really think through the difference between what you want to happen and what will actually happen. What you want to happen is players that would otherwise kill you will now just take your loot and leave. What will actually happen is players will just hang up outside of towns and bop anyone they see and then steal their items with 0 consequences. Just like you don't want to add mechanics that encourage zerging you don't want to encourage rpking unless you want to kill your game really fast. And I've played enough pvp MMOs to know that the amount of people that actually stick around games where rpking is rampant is very, very little. They talk a big game about how much they love it. But once every casual player quits they find a new game to ruin

Apr 11, 2021
Gaul'kor
You know in game development you have to really think through the difference between what you want to happen and what will actually happen. What you want to happen is players that would otherwise kill you will now just take your loot and leave. What will actually happen is players will just hang up outside of towns and bop anyone they see and then steal their items with 0 consequences. Just like you don't want to add mechanics that encourage zerging you don't want to encourage rpking unless you want to kill your game really fast. And I've played enough pvp MMOs to know that the amount of people that actually stick around games where rpking is rampant is very, very little. They talk a big game about how much they love it. But once every casual player quits they find a new game to ruin

People already are killing people outside of town for no reason other than to kill people. It's clear the system doesn't work for a multitude of reasons.

Reactions: Falcar and Tzone

Tzone

May 16, 2021
From actual practice which is already occurring people just kill you. Ive killed a lot of people and didnt even look in their pockets if they have kallardian fullgrain on. You dont seem to know what happens outside of towns.

The people here are telling you exactly what already happens and its just killing people to kill people because they are already negative.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
From actual practice which is already occurring people just kill you. Ive killed a lot of people and didnt even look in their pockets if they have kallardian fullgrain on. You dont seem to know what happens outside of towns.

The people here are telling you exactly what already happens and its just killing people to kill people because they are already negative.

Like I said Id rather get killed and have a fight than someone just sneaking up on me and stealing all my items and running. Being left in the middle of a forest with no items might as well be dead. And the idea that someone would spare your horse, like yeah right, idk what world you're living in where that happens

Belteyn

Nov 29, 2020
Cambridge, UK
The main problem with this is that in a game you can respawn an infinite amount of time and be free from most consequences

My vote was for mechanic to allow player to surrender and let attacker inspect player and loot what he likes without killing him, rather than right now having to take player's word that he will drop all he has i.e. simply an alternative to kill and loot. Sure the attacker gets away withour rep loss, but so does the person attacked get to run away without re-spawning. I wasn't voting for anything that FORCES player to be robbed.

Piet

May 28, 2020
1. Make better UI for existing options, like /droploot command. I am tired of trying to explain to people I try to rob what I want them to do. Most just stare at me emptily for a minute and then try to run away, which gets them (and their horse) killed. People should never have to use chat commands (that are also not written anywhere, it seems) for gameplay actions.

2. Add options to force robbing. I want to be able to check the inventory of other players and their horses and take things from there against their will. Perhaps should require some kind of mercy mode extension or something. Maybe upcoming stealing will do that, but from what I read, you won't be able to take everything from your target, so it is not exactly that.

3. As a reasonable implementation of the previous point (#2), make the button "Surrender" (I think it is called that) in mercy mode that actually opens up you to being looted (including your horse inventory) instead of suiciding. By the way, when I was first put into the mercy mode, I actually was surprised that the button killed me instead.

All the options above make robbing people more intuitive and pleasant for everyone involved and will make killing horses unnecessary. Currently you can't really check what is inside the horse and take it without killing it. And I don't think the developers want to encourage killing horses, even though currently pretty much every mechanic just screams "kill the horse first".
We need robbery options so we don't always have to kill people and/or their horses to see if they have loot you want. You can't trust talking to them, they will just delete loot.
Henrik said this in 1ce's stream recently but you're right they need to make it obvious so you can tell it's not them trying to figure it out it's them tryign to delete or something. Although damage makes it so they can't delete for a bit which helps.
1640303640908.png

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
Henrik said this in 1ce's stream recently but you're right they need to make it obvious so you can tell it's not them trying to figure it out it's them tryign to delete or something. Although damage makes it so they can't delete for a bit which helps.
View attachment 2976
Definitely interesting—If it’s up to the player to do that or not and players can choose not to, then it's not forced player looting so much as allowing someone to open up their inventory for other people to take things. Which is fine, some people might, others might not. More streamlined alternative than /droploot.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Definitely interesting—If it’s up to the player to do that or not and players can choose not to, then it's not forced player looting so much as allowing someone to open up their inventory for other people to take things. Which is fine, some people might, others might not. More streamlined alternative than /droploot.
See this would be fine. Then you can smack them and keep them in combat while they open their inventory. I take their pants and their coins, they get to live. Easy. If they don't want to, then they will die and I will take their stuff anyway.

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
See this would be fine. Then you can smack them and keep them in combat while they open their inventory. I take their pants and their coins, they get to live. Easy. If they don't want to, then they will die and I will take their stuff anyway.
I just don't see why people should be able to mass rob people for their loot an go unpunished for it though. It would just encourage mass griefing and robbing because what stopping you from second guessing your actions? As I see it if someone wants my stuff bad enough than they can just kill me an accept the standing hit. I see zero reason to encourage mass theft with zero penalty for doing to it. Like why am I suppose to just give someone gold or resources every time I walk by them in the world because they say so, nah if you want it than accept the standing lose punishment an just kill me for it.

2Op4Scrubs

Sep 11, 2021
Do any of u mfers watch the 6hr stream? Henrik said they are going to add this, and even a way to restrain people.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
I just don't see why people should be able to mass rob people for their loot an go unpunished for it though. It would just encourage mass griefing and robbing because what stopping you from second guessing your actions? As I see it if someone wants my stuff bad enough than they can just kill me an accept the standing hit. I see zero reason to encourage mass theft with zero penalty for doing to it. Like why am I suppose to just give someone gold or resources every time I walk by them in the world because they say so, nah if you want it than accept the standing lose punishment an just kill me for it.
I mean that's fine, if you won't comply we'll just mercy you until you hit the suicide button. I believe I've stated before that this isn't for people like you, it's for people that would really like to not lose their horse over nothing.

2Op4Scrubs

Sep 11, 2021
I believe this should be in the game, It makes sense. and if anyone that says it is dumb is simple minded and probably a sissy.

rednhax

Dec 18, 2021
I m fine with players wanting to play as criminals, as long as there are consequences.

Personally, I would fight till death and make a permanent enemy of the thief and anyone he associates with and I would expect the same if I steal from someone.

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
What do you want, then, some kind of system for reporting a robbery?
If they rob me I should be allowed to attack & kill them an go unpunished for it, if they kill me when I do I should be allowed to report them for killing me. If they want to rob me I don't see why I should just let them an the game should go "ok you got robbed but they didn't kill you so no punishment for them, an your not allowed to retaliate". It just defeats the whole point of the standing system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah