Zerg guilds killed Mortal Online 1. Will MO2 be different?

Covenant

Sep 13, 2021
Title says it all. Im a big fan of pvp, I dont play games that do not have it. That being said, EVERY open world pvp game that has launched BOMBED because of zerg guilds running off the new players and eventually the game died. Mortal Online 1 was the same way.
Here's to hoping MO2 has great PVP but also pvp guilds that see the big picture "the game as a platform WILL die off if no one is able to play it".

Cov

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Zerg guilds will always be around, just like giant nutcup alliances. Its the nature of an open world sandbox. Look at EvE, even with 40k players they managed to create uber nut cup alliances to protect their territories and interests. Thats just human nature.

At least nubes now have Haven to play in while they learn the ropes. Its better than it was in MO1.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Zerg guilds didn't kill MO.Starvault did.
Through inaction, yup. Well its kind of clear now that they were sort of working on a sequel which could explain absolutely 0 work on the game for a bit of time. But the game was plagued by extremely slow dev speed due to their size. At least we are now receiving very regular updates and the team is what 10x? bigger than it was in mo1....

Piet

May 28, 2020
Title says it all. Im a big fan of pvp, I dont play games that do not have it. That being said, EVERY open world pvp game that has launched BOMBED because of zerg guilds running off the new players and eventually the game died. Mortal Online 1 was the same way.
Here's to hoping MO2 has great PVP but also pvp guilds that see the big picture "the game as a platform WILL die off if no one is able to play it".

Cov
MO1 didn't die from zerg guilds. It's a game that pushes people into groups to fight bigger battles. Just cause you like solo or small fights doesn't mean big fights killed the game. What killed the game was anyone able to build a wall making a safe spot and not being able to get pvped unless they were sieged. No pvp made many quit and if they did siege for pvp that made the people avoiding all pvp quit. That and they reacted too slowly to the new player experience on steam launch of welcome to o you're dead and priest camped.

Reactions: Malyck

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
Through inaction, yup. Well its kind of clear now that they were sort of working on a sequel which could explain absolutely 0 work on the game for a bit of time. But the game was plagued by extremely slow dev speed due to their size. At least we are now receiving very regular updates and the team is what 10x? bigger than it was in mo1....
Quite a bit of the work they did from the time of Sarducca release was also made with the plan to easily transfer over to UE4.

Edit: Seems i missed parts of the message or it was edited in anyway. The team last i checked was about 28 people compared to MO1 where it was only Henrik, Seb, Herius and LGM Discord for years. For a while they also had Jonas(who made those weekly bug fixes) around the time of Sarducca release.

Last edited:

Balvrikk

Jun 30, 2020
MO1 didn't die from zerg guilds. It's a game that pushes people into groups to fight bigger battles. Just cause you like solo or small fights doesn't mean big fights killed the game. What killed the game was anyone able to build a wall making a safe spot and not being able to get pvped unless they were sieged. No pvp made many quit and if they did siege for pvp that made the people avoiding all pvp quit. That and they reacted too slowly to the new player experience on steam launch of welcome to o you're dead and priest camped.
The Steam release was a big mess up from both SV and the player community. SV should have had a better start of game environment/system before steam. And the player that like to kill were given a bloodbath also hurting the beginner experience. When it comes to zergs, people don't like to or want to lose. Having more people then the opposing side is a consistent way to win fights. <-- at least for roaming or small town edge fights.

DaChieftain

Nov 20, 2020
When the end game promotes zerging, is what it is. I for one love the massive numbers in sieges and large scale battles.

Make friends, stop being a loner. " Zergs "only come together for massive fights. 5-10 guys dunking you in open world is NORMAL. That's a dungeon/farm/roam group, so go make friends.

Everyone wants to join the game and be a bandit but wont band up. lol?!?

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Title says it all.
If it did, why would we be reading the thread?

An old saying is "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word 'NO'."

A journalist named Betteridge said that the "reason why journalists use that style of headline is that they know the story is probably bullshit, and don’t actually have the sources and facts", and so that law is sometimes named after him, although it predates him.

I don't know about that, but I got a giggle at seeing you use a question as a title. Did you mean to see it answered with 'NO'?
That would make us assume your premise that it was 'Zerg Guilds' that 'killed' Mortal Online 1, and that the same will happen again.
Reminds me of that headline in J. Jonah Jameson's newspaper,
"Spider Man: Threat, Or Menace?" Good framing job, JJJ.

See why I have an innate distrust of statements as questions?

I have questioning thoughts about brand new posters who jump right in with practiced rhetoric.

Im a big fan of pvp, I dont play games that do not have it.

That being said, EVERY open world pvp game that has launched BOMBED
EVERY one? Can you not think of any that has not? Remarkable, if true.
because of zerg guilds running off the new players and eventually the game died.
Zergs, as the term is often used, can actually thrive on new members. Some of those are even new players.

But zerging is more of a tactic than 'zerg' is a useful description. It's applied too often to any group or guild withat least one more member present at an encounter than the 'other' group has. The word is stripped of meaning, when it should not be.

Running off of most new players is one contributing factor to a game's decline.

So is the presence of any kind of group whose meta-game it is to break games and whose victory condition is to make as many players as possible GTFO and then to troll about it basically forever. That's the last refuge when you're not good and/or are no longer satisfied by playing games but can't quit, or you have obvious pathological tendencies.

Any kind of group like that. Not just zerg guilds. Not just big guilds. Not just groups organised as guilds.
Where do they all come from?

Mortal Online 1 was the same way.
It's spent a decade or more on its last legs, so we all heard endlessly from the beginning, with some folks telling it to 'stop struggling' and 'stop hitting yourself'all along the way. It took a while.

I heard that another game by the same company is really going to kill it off, this time for sure.

That's a big picture that most guilds, not just whatever you mean by "pvp guilds" but also those you would not describe that way already see.

Most guilds of every kind already see that.
Spme guilds that don't see it are precisely the ones who don't want to.
Many guilds who don't seem to see it actually do.
Some guilds see with utter clarity that "the game as a platform WILL die off if no one is able to play", and that's their in-game and / or metagame goal. One of their goals, anyhow. I believe one of the leaders of such a gaming organisation once said that

'If we can kill it off by playing like we want, then it deserves to die',

but I have to treat that as a paraphrase since I can no longer locate a citation for it.
[[FORM]Fnord

Last edited:

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020

Cov
In regards to your question a few direct Pvp Changes have taken place. 1.) Guard Ai has been immensely improved with even better Guard Ai planned as well as Guards being able to cast Heal in the near future. 2.) Lictors can now teleport to attack criminals, you are safe even from horse griefers in the bank, who try sitting on houses to snipe, the guards will still get the bastards.

3.) Now if you go outside the gates and get fondled ;) by a passing group of mounted warriors that is where the action... the.. I meant, that is where the problems for you start. Mining is basically impossible, so best advice get only a little bit at a time. Don't plan to sit there and fill up a horse or molva full of ore. Get like 1-2 stacks and then head back.

4.) I almost forget, we have Horse armor now. Works for all mounts too btw, so helps massively with survival.

Covenant

Sep 13, 2021
If it did, why would we be reading the thread?

An old saying is "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word 'NO'."

A journalist named Betteridge said that the "reason why journalists use that style of headline is that they know the story is probably bullshit, and don’t actually have the sources and facts", and so that law is sometimes named after him, although it predates him.

I don't know about that, but I got a giggle at seeing you use a question as a title. Did you mean to see it answered with 'NO'?
That would make us assume your premise that it was 'Zerg Guilds' that 'killed' Mortal Online 1, and that the same will happen again.
Reminds me of that headline in J. Jonah Jameson's newspaper,
"Spider Man: Threat, Or Menace?" Good framing job, JJJ.

See why I have an innate distrust of statements as questions?

I have questioning thoughts about brand new posters who jump right in with practiced rhetoric.

EVERY one? Can you not think of any that has not? Remarkable, if true.

Zergs, as the term is often used, can actually thrive on new members. Some of those are even new players.

But zerging is more of a tactic than 'zerg' is a useful description. It's applied too often to any group or guild withat least one more member present at an encounter than the 'other' group has. The word is stripped of meaning, when it should not be.

Running off of most new players is one contributing factor to a game's decline.

So is the presence of any kind of group whose meta-game it is to break games and whose victory condition is to make as many players as possible GTFO and then to troll about it basically forever. That's the last refuge when you're not good and/or are no longer satisfied by playing games but can't quit, or you have obvious pathological tendencies.

Any kind of group like that. Not just zerg guilds. Not just big guilds. Not just groups organised as guilds.
Where do they all come from?

It's spent a decade or more on its last legs, so we all heard endlessly from the beginning, with some folks telling it to 'stop struggling' and 'stop hitting yourself'all along the way. It took a while.

I heard that another game by the same company is really going to kill it off, this time for sure.

That's a big picture that most guilds, not just whatever you mean by "pvp guilds" but also those you would not describe that way already see.

Most guilds of every kind already see that.
Spme guilds that don't see it are precisely the ones who don't want to.
Many guilds who don't seem to see it actually do.
Some guilds see with utter clarity that "the game as a platform WILL die off if no one is able to play", and that's their in-game and / or metagame goal. One of their goals, anyhow. I believe one of the leaders of such a gaming organisation once said that

'If we can kill it off by playing like we want, then it deserves to die',

but I have to treat that as a paraphrase since I can no longer locate a citation for it.
[[FORM]Fnord
View attachment 2079
You sure typed alot to say nothing...

Covenant

Sep 13, 2021
In regards to your question a few direct Pvp Changes have taken place. 1.) Guard Ai has been immensely improved with even better Guard Ai planned as well as Guards being able to cast Heal in the near future. 2.) Lictors can now teleport to attack criminals, you are safe even from horse griefers in the bank, who try sitting on houses to snipe, the guards will still get the bastards.

3.) Now if you go outside the gates and get fondled ;) by a passing group of mounted warriors that is where the action... the.. I meant, that is where the problems for you start. Mining is basically impossible, so best advice get only a little bit at a time. Don't plan to sit there and fill up a horse or molva full of ore. Get like 1-2 stacks and then head back.

4.) I almost forget, we have Horse armor now. Works for all mounts too btw, so helps massively with survival.
Thanks for the reply here. Appreciate it.

Reactions: PoisonArrows

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Who are you talking about there.