What's the point of the criminal system when it doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4rt3

Dec 10, 2021
A new player getting killed over and over at the graveyard by blues - report them for murder like 5 times and still they are blue and keep going. The whole going grey and everything seems so wonky. Seems like no repercussions at all. Am I missing something?

Levvy

Mar 28, 2021
What town are you in? I would recommend every new player go to Tindrem. It is by far the safest place (at least during EU times)--you can farm the graveyard there in total safety.

This information should be made a lot clearer to new players. It is crazy how different the new player experience can be, which is entirely dependent on what town you happen to choose after Haven.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
A new player getting killed over and over at the graveyard by blues - report them for murder like 5 times and still they are blue and keep going. The whole going grey and everything seems so wonky. Seems like no repercussions at all. Am I missing something?
They'll have to spend hours grinding back lost reputation, especially if they are thursar. The reputation system is complete garbage though both for newbies AND PKs, it's actually terrible for everyone. Especially combined with the alliance wardec system.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
I'll apologize in advance. Part of new players being killed repeatedly is because my guild and my alliance with Miscreants are killing new players in Graveyard because Henric didn't give us a good rep system to enjoy Pvp. So we are trying to protest and punish Henric, until he makes it possible to Pvp again. Most of the PvP community quit the game we lost 300 daily players from the housing patch. We are going to lose all players if Henric doesn't fix this mess.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
You are indeed missing something. You can have 100 murders and still be blue after your criminal timer goes away, Murder count just makes it so you can't spawn at priest in town, you gotta spawn at a criminal priest. It is the Reputation that matters. Go to -1 reputation and you can't go into town anymore without guards attacking you. The problem is in the last patch the Devs messed up Reputation you used to be able to kill Risars and carry parcels to get your rep back up. This made us choose most of our targets more wisely and then farm up Rep again after. (Most of us hated this system enough as it is, because our gameplay was 90% farming Risars and Parcel running and 10% Pvp) We were hoping for a better system but they made it even worse. We have been starved from Pvp because last patch they nerfed Parcels and made it so Risars don't give Rep anymore it made us all furious. We lost 300 players who liked Pvp from last patch and the rest of us who still play have been trying to kill new players to punish the devs for not listening to us, we kill anyone now because we are criminals forever with no way of ever turning blue again. This patch things got a little better but we still have to turn in Parcels like 10 times to go back to being Blue again. It isn't a Fix to the Reputation system for Pvp. Because Kill 1 person and suddenly you have to do 10 parcels. It's a broken system because the +2 Rep from parcels is misleading and isn't actually +2. You have to turn in like 10 of them to get even a +1 to rep. This took our "Hardcore Foot Loot Pvp Game" and turned it into a PVE game. And we don't like it.

• Angry
Reactions: Jackdstripper

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
I don't want to kill the game, we just want Henric and Devs to listen to us and bring back PvP. But the only way to fight back and get the devs to listen is to kill off the noobs to lower some player population until he appeases the PvP community. If you want to survive go to Vadda where Legion is or go to Meduli where Koto is. They like to protect noobs... But very soon we will prepare our next assault and kill them all again. Just making some final preparations.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Wow that would have been the entire MO1 2018 player base. They won't feel that lose until it's time for the first resub if things don't improve.
That's why it is so serious and why we need to work together to force the Devs to listen to us or we won't have a game anymore. I love this game and I don't want it to die. But the only way to force the Devs hand is to kill off new players until they listen to us.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
They'll have to spend hours grinding back lost reputation, especially if they are thursar. The reputation system is complete garbage though both for newbies AND PKs, it's actually terrible for everyone. Especially combined with the alliance wardec system.
No point to grind back rep. The rep system is pretty stupid. I dont mind it as I dont go to blue towns anyway.

All henrik did was remove any reason to not kill a player because you are perma neg rep anyways. Before people would be like I can still go to town as long as I dont have neg rep. But now you will just have neg rep if you are a PvPer so might as well kill everyone just to be safe.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
To OP: the graveyard is not a safe place. Anywhere where there are no guards is not a safe place. Remember that always. And remeber those names that are greefing you now. Remember those tags. Youll get them back later.

to the shitters ”pvpers” in the graveyard: you are not a pvper. You are a greefer. A bottom feeder nube ganker. You are pathetic. It doesnt matter what the rules are. You guys are always there. Always picking on the weak. Always looking for the easy pray. Always greefing the nubes, and as soon as there is a real fight you run and hide like cockroaches. Get a life.

Last edited:

Levvy

Mar 28, 2021
I'll apologize in advance. Part of new players being killed repeatedly is because my guild and my alliance with Miscreants are killing new players in Graveyard because Henric didn't give us a good rep system to enjoy Pvp. So we are trying to protest and punish Henric, until he makes it possible to Pvp again. Most of the PvP community quit the game we lost 300 daily players from the housing patch. We are going to lose all players if Henric doesn't fix this mess.

I’m not saying that the reputation system isn’t a hassle, but this isn’t an accurate representation of what my experience has been playing the game.

I have recently joined a guild and had a few fights, and participated in quite a few kills; I have only lost 1 rep! It appears to me that between combatants of equal standing (guilded, organised, in groups) there is very little murder reporting going on.

So it appears that you represent players that love to gank new players (the players who will always report)—and that you are protesting about not being able to kill new players without repercussion, by killing new players en mass and driving them away from the game.

It doesn’t take much logic to see how ridiculous a stance this is to take. Also, it is highly entitled. Why should Starvault have to listen to you, and what gives you the right to sabotage their game in this way?

Also, finally, please learn to paragraph! I’ve seen children write with better quality.

strycio

Apr 1, 2021

You are just a poor troll, if the rep system makes you quit in the long i hope they leave it as it is. Griefing new players and beeing proud of it is pure cancer and has nothing to do with pvp. But i guess games like this attract people like you. In the meantime i i enjoy farming the shit out of you. Bc in the end, there is a reason you farm noobs and its not because you intend to protest.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Does anyone else wonder what the situation will be like (again?) the next time Star Vault takes a direction in development that this protest movement doesn't like?

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021

to answer your post, it does work, just not perfectly by any means. Every murder count you give them lowers their reputation with that particular faction. When their rep gets low enough they technically become unwanted in that town, and besically red for that faction. Its just that their flag doesnt show it. But they still cant enter town.
at that point you can kill them and they cant give you murder counts. So besically their flag will still be blue, but they are “red” and you can kill them without consequences. Its like hidden red flag.

its a bit of a convoluted system but still waaaay more forgiving than the old system where after 5 murders you were red to every single town. And each murder tok 8 hours of ingame time to wear off. And there was nothing you could do but wait it out.

kids these days have no idea how easy they have it. And still, here they are, complaining.

Last edited:

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
to answer your post, it does work, just not perfectly by any means. Every murder count you give them lowers their reputation with that particular faction. When their rep gets low enough they technically become unwanted in that town, and besically red for that faction. Its just that their flag doesnt show it. But they still cant enter town.
at that point you can kill them and they cant give you murder counts. So besically their flag will still be blue, but they are “red” and you can kill them without consequences. Its like hidden red flag.

its a bit of a convoluted system but still waaaay more forgiving than the old system where after 5 murders you were red to every single town. And each murder tok 8 hours of ingame time to wear off. And there was nothing you could do but wait it out.

kids these days have no idea how easy they have it. And still, here they are, complaining.

To the OP: They are being punished by losing reputation every time they attack you (and gaining murder counts). I explain the system as I understand is exists right now below. In the live game it's unlikely someone would be just camping people in the graveyard because it gives almost 0 reward, they have one character tied to an account with a subscription and it has lasting consequences on their rep and murder count. Right now when it takes 2 minutes to remake and get a character to the skills etc you need, nobody cares, unfortunately.

Just watched Henrik's latest stream, and here is what he said about the system as it stands right now (unless I missed something, correct me if I'm off on any point):
  • Every time you go grey, you lose rep in that area (and of course are KOS to guards for a time, and are attackable by other players for no penalty). So that includes attacking other players, and horses. Once someone goes to low enough rep, they are kill on sight by the guards in that region. Rep is regained in a region primarily through completing tasks, which right now is quite limited (mostly delivery tasks),
  • Every time you report someone for a murder, they get a murder count. Murder count (apparently, I haven't tested) at a certain point makes it so you can't respawn at a priest in a non-lawless town, at all. Additionally, in the future murder count will be used for the bounty hunting system where the game will direct bounty hunters to the location of people with high murder counts and allow them to kill them without illegal action (and I'm assuming pay you for killing them).
I agree it's not intuitive as is, especially for new players, as the OP's question shows. When someone kills you, you want to know that they suffered a repercussion. Having their rep tick down silently in the background is 1) Not satisfying to the person who was just killed 2) Not clear that it's even happening or what the consequences are. As he mentioned, what the new player will see is someone just ganked them, grey timer ran out or they got killed by guards, and they're standing next to you again, still blue, with no visible consequences. If you're outside of guard range, even if they went negative rep they'll still appear blue I believe and it's even less obvious.

PS, if a new player asks a question about how the game works, try to first answer their question before you use it as a soapbox, which serves you but only serves to push new players away (eg @PoisonArrows, who was over 5 of the first 9 posts, including the OP).

Last edited:

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021

Imagine protesting by moving on with your life and finding a game or hobby that you enjoy instead of trying to ruin the game for everyone else

Reactions: Maxiumus

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
PoisonArrows said:

Imagine protesting by moving on with your life and finding a game or hobby that you enjoy instead of trying to ruin the game for everyone else

Wow... I just read that he said that... that's insane.

That will not make H "fix" the rep system in any way you want. It will 1) drive new players away and generate word of mouth that MO2 is a newbie unfriendly game with a toxic community, increasing the chance that nobody gets to play and 2) it will force H and the team to even MORE to restrict PvP such as implementing things like instantly going to negative rep for a region if you attack someone in the graveyard. Would that improve your enjoyment of the game?

That's like saying, "I'm unhappy with the punishment for murder in the US, so I'm going to go on a mass murder spree, and focus on children, until they change it to be less strict."

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021

It's a sandbox game. That is his choice, along with those who participate. @Tzone puts it more eloquently that since he is perma-locked from towns anyway, there is no benefit in sparing people who he comes across because the reputation system currently doesn't allow him to have a choice if he wishes to PvP (Killing new players or not.)

Wow... I just read that he said that... that's insane.

That will not make H "fix" the rep system in any way you want. It will 1) drive new players away and generate word of mouth that MO2 is a newbie unfriendly game with a toxic community, increasing the chance that nobody gets to play and 2) it will force H and the team to even MORE to restrict PvP such as implementing things like instantly going to negative rep for a region if you attack someone in the graveyard. Would that improve your enjoyment of the game?

That's like saying, "I'm unhappy with the punishment for murder in the US, so I'm going to go on a mass murder spree, and focus on children, until they change it to be less strict."

No, it's not. Your analogy is using real life examples of actual crime compared to someone making a decision in a video game.

If the people getting killed quit, then the game wasn't going to be for them anyway. I've said it in another post but even if there wasn't PvP in the game people would still get griefed out of the game, players would find a way. The system is just a poor execution of a system not fully finished - A Star Vault special.

They've honestly put a noose on PvP due to the changes so, this is about as bad as it honestly gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.