Weather, Clothing & Camping

Detrimentum

Aug 22, 2021
Despite the current feature freeze before release, i think the aforementioned three mechanics would highly benefit MO2's launch considering its current state and where its lacking. What i suggest is a basic form of all three mechanics that should be relatively easy to implement and could be expanded on later when the development can afford to spend more time and resources on it.

Weather:
The weather should not affect players by direct damage of any sort at first, but rather affect the existing Reserves mechanics in a simple and straightforward manner. A division into 3 categories would cut it: Clear, Mild, Harsh.

• Clear (~18-25 degrees celsius): Clear, calm weather of comfortable temperatures. No effect.
  • Mild (below 18 or above 25c): Mild cold or heat. none-lethal but serves as a hindrance. Slowly drains stamina reserves.
  • Harsh (below 0 or above 40c): Harsh cold or heat. potentially lethal and requires relatively quick action. Drains stamina and health reserves.
Both mild and harsh weather conditions' negative effect can be addressed with the use of clothing & camping described below.

Clothing:
Eventually tied into the Tailor profession, clothing should have 2 main functions with the third being cosmetic. It's main functions are either providing warmth/protection from the sun and potentially also offering additional storage slots, in a similar fashion to bags in the inventory.

• Warm clothes: To address the two levels of weather conditions, two levels of warmth should be provided by clothes which should almost mitigate the effects of mild & harsh conditions, but not entirely.
  • Sun protecting clothes: As with warm clothes, sun protection clothes help to mitigate most but not all effects of extreme heat.
  • Nice to have: Pockets, pouches and bags. Pockets can be added to certain clothes, offering more storage capacity.
Camping:
To begin with, camps should offer shelter and cooking while traveling. shelter reduces the effects of mild or harsh weather and the cooking station would allow players to address already lost reserves, be it stamina or health.

• Camps should come in two levels to address the two levels of weather conditions by providing shelter.
  • Once placed, camps deteriorate and despawn after a relatively short period of time unless actively maintained with materials.
  • Nice to have: Campfires raise smoke which could be rendered from a distance, presenting additional risk of being preyed upon by criminals and murderers who can spot the smoke from a distance.

That's it. All three systems could be heavily expanded and made more complex, but my goal was to offer something relatively simple that would tie into existing mechanics.
Would love to hear your thoughts; if you like or dislike it, if you have any suggestions and where do you think should this stand in the current priority list.

Last edited:

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I would really love to see all three features implemented, I've made similar suggestions before in the past back in MO1 such as being able to wear clothes plus armour a la Ultima Online style.

But it never made it into the game despite Henrik saying they were planning on making a secondary clothing tab that allowed us to wear clothes alongside armour if I recall correctly.

For the weather, I think they have a heat system in place along with clade gifts that suggest the weather system would be implemented at some point in the not too distant future.

The integration of clothing, weather and camping as you described that together make the game much more immersive would be a dream for me.

The million dollar question is whether or not SV will actually take the idea on board and make it happen.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
I'm liking the approach your suggestion is taking. Simple yet with enough depth for the player to consider as they're out roaming. It almost has similarities with RDR2's warmth system which works well in itself.

With regards to clothing and armor, there could also be consideration for high warmth cloaks and hoods as well as interactions in the form of additional warmth provided by the lining/padding type used in armor (e.g fur vs silks, cotton etc). The balancing factor here is interesting because you wouldn't want to wear high warmth outfits into hot areas/biomes.

Some interesting mechanics to consider.

Detrimentum

Aug 22, 2021
Well, basically what i had in mind essentially is to create more emergent gameplay in several forms:

• Preparing for a journey via purchase of tools and supplies (to expand upon gearing up with armor, weapons, bandages & arrows) before leaving town/safety.
  • Camp out for shelter when conditions become harsh
  • Collect firewood & hunt during your travel when running low on supplies
  • Equip different clothes as the weather changes / you travel between different climates
  • Consider the safety and visibility of your camping location. Perhaps be able to put out the fire to avoid drawing attention
  • Spot players camping out from a distance (if no cover/defilade for the camp) and either avoid them entirely or attack when they're not prepared

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Well, basically what i had in mind essentially is to create more emergent gameplay in several forms:

• Preparing for a journey via purchase of tools and supplies (to expand upon gearing up with armor, weapons, bandages & arrows) before leaving town/safety.
  • Camp out for shelter when conditions become harsh
  • Collect firewood & hunt during your travel when running low on supplies
  • Equip different clothes as the weather changes / you travel between different climates
  • Consider the safety and visibility of your camping location. Perhaps be able to put out the fire to avoid drawing attention
  • Spot players camping out from a distance (if no cover/defilade for the camp) and either avoid them entirely or attack when they're not prepared

A lot of this sounds good on paper, however, the number of times a player should experience harsh weather and be forced to camp would need to be fairly infrequent as to not become frustrating to travel. Apart from that, the camp needs to be a tool/choice of the player/group only when they need to use the utility it provides, e.g. campfire for cooking, enhanced rest for faster stam reserve regain etc.

Detrimentum

Aug 22, 2021
A lot of this sounds good on paper, however, the number of times a player should experience harsh weather and be forced to camp would need to be fairly infrequent as to not become frustrating to travel. Apart from that, the camp needs to be a tool/choice of the player/group only when they need to use the utility it provides, e.g. campfire for cooking, enhanced rest for faster stam reserve regain etc.

Yes. you bring up a good point. It needs to be balanced to the point it doesn't harm the existing gameplay loop for most people.

Reactions: TheOxMan

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
We had a heat system on Sarducca in MO1. It wasn't fun or interesting and only added hassle, resulting in a bunch of players never wanting to go back there. If they put it everywhere, especially with a time based randomness, I think it would cut the population at times. This isn't a survival game where you can quickly kill something or pick some plants and make something quickly to shield yourself against weather effects.

Reactions: Jackdstripper

Detrimentum

Aug 22, 2021
This isn't a survival game where you can quickly kill something or pick some plants and make something quickly to shield yourself against weather effects.

This is exactly what i am suggesting. something simple to understand and work with. If you're not in an extreme climate, chances are you could handle it without much effort. If you are then you should have came prepared, in the spirit of MO.

Reactions: TheOxMan

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
The Dynamic Weather System is an old idea, and a core idea of Mortal MMO games-- and it was designed for everywhere in the world of Nave. It was about more than temperatures, and included storms with lightning, wind, rainfall, etc. Early experiments with these were halted after a while, but they did lead us to annotate this map, thus:

NyLm4Ph.jpg

with directional information for the phenomena listed above. Dynamic weather isn't entirely an innovation, and wasn't meant just for Sarducaa.
If they put it everywhere, especially with a time based randomness, I think it would cut the population at times. This isn't a survival game where you can quickly kill something or pick some plants and make something quickly to shield yourself against weather effects.
It is not that, yet. Don't know if it will be, but I'm certain Henrik said most recently in a Twitch stream that the Dynamic Weather System for Mortal Online 2 is something that Star Vault is currently working on, and that it may be coming soon.

Healthily skeptical as I am, it seems likely that there will be ways to cope with temperatures, etc.
We had a heat system on Sarducca in MO1. It wasn't fun or interesting and only added hassle, resulting in a bunch of players never wanting to go back there.
It wasn't fun or interesting for about half of people I heard from about it; the other half seemed to be enjoying their ability to cope with it, and very much enjoying the fact that it kept some people from ever coming back there.

I found it a challenge in spots, and felt a little sympathy for those who could not seem to figure it out.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
We had a heat system on Sarducca in MO1. It wasn't fun or interesting and only added hassle, resulting in a bunch of players never wanting to go back there. If they put it everywhere, especially with a time based randomness, I think it would cut the population at times. This isn't a survival game where you can quickly kill something or pick some plants and make something quickly to shield yourself against weather effects.

yup this. We had a heat system and it was mostly just a pain. You had to wear the right gear and be the right race otherwise youd get super slow and start taking dot damage. Cool at first, then just got annoying fast.

more deployable camping gear would be fun. Sort of like the campfires, but have small tents, spits, bed rolls, stand up torches, etc. Even if mostly just visual or with slightly useful purposes it would be cool.

watsonanna

Dec 23, 2021
In this game I like the fact that the players are traditionally presented with hundreds of game lines, which vary and depend solely on the type of character. But with clothes - yeah, the developers could have tried a little harder. The case of Assassin's Creed is better. The characters have really chic clothes there, especially in the parts about Egypt and the odyssey, clothes that remind me of my favorite brand abayas online uk. Every detail is extremely cool designed, whether it's the outfit of a Roman legionnaire or the vestments of an ancient deity.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Nov 27, 2021
Heat systems almost always end up being a chore and may end up separating server population into regions where they live because their gear does not allow them to travel to too cold / hot places.

But I would really like some purely decorative multilayer clothing, preferably as a separated set that does not interfere with armor. You know, having panties under those steel greaves or being able to wear a nice hat and a dress. It will really add to the atmosphere of the game if at least some people will go around the cities / doing their crafting things in non-combat clothes instead of naked or in trash gear.

But mostly I just want to wear something nice, I find most armor ugly.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Heat systems almost always end up being a chore and may end up separating server population into regions where they live because their gear does not allow them to travel to too cold / hot places.

But I would really like some purely decorative multilayer clothing, preferably as a separated set that does not interfere with armor. You know, having panties under those steel greaves or being able to wear a nice hat and a dress. It will really add to the atmosphere of the game if at least some people will go around the cities / doing their crafting things in non-combat clothes instead of naked or in trash gear.

But mostly I just want to wear something nice, I find most armor ugly.
Seems like one guy has managed to do just that on his own in UE4: https://www.jeremyernst.com/devblog/2019/7/3/ue4-layered-clothing-test

I find it interesting that the greatest feats of video game creation seem to almost always be achieved by small teams of nerds and geeks, or just that one guy working away in his office.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I really like survival aspects of games. But in MO2 Im not sure SV will make a fun experience if they tried. MO1 weather system looked absolutely horrible.

Right now in game the weather is so fucking annoying. It rains so much all the time even in desert or arid environments. Thunderstorms daily. Weather gives lots of performance loss and has very annoying sounds that makes your experience poor in the game.

Im scared to think of what would happen if they attached systems to the weather and how annoying it would be to deal with hour long rain storms 10 times a day. But I would like more survival content to the game.

I invite Henrik to play survival games like GreenHell or The Long Dark to get some inspiration.

Reactions: Detrimentum

eugeni

Mar 27, 2022
In MO1, we had a heating system on Sarducca. It wasn't entertaining or exciting, and it merely added to the hassle, so a group of players never wanted to return. I believe that if it were implemented everywhere, especially with a time-based randomness, the population would be reduced at times. This isn't a survival game where you can swiftly kill something or gather herbs and create something to protect yourself from the affects of the weather. Buy Boys Dress Pants online
Yes, this is correct. We had a heating system, but it was largely inconvenient. Otherwise, you'd go incredibly sluggish and start receiving dot damage if you didn't wear the appropriate gear and race the right race. At first, it seemed cool, but it quickly became irritating.

Last edited:

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Despite the current feature freeze before release, i think the aforementioned three mechanics would highly benefit MO2's launch considering its current state and where its lacking. What i suggest is a basic form of all three mechanics that should be relatively easy to implement and could be expanded on later when the development can afford to spend more time and resources on it.

Weather:
The weather should not affect players by direct damage of any sort at first, but rather affect the existing Reserves mechanics in a simple and straightforward manner. A division into 3 categories would cut it: Clear, Mild, Harsh.

• Clear (~18-25 degrees celsius): Clear, calm weather of comfortable temperatures. No effect.
  • Mild (below 18 or above 25c): Mild cold or heat. none-lethal but serves as a hindrance. Slowly drains stamina reserves.
  • Harsh (below 0 or above 40c): Harsh cold or heat. potentially lethal and requires relatively quick action. Drains stamina and health reserves.
Both mild and harsh weather conditions' negative effect can be addressed with the use of clothing & camping described below.

Clothing:
Eventually tied into the Tailor profession, clothing should have 2 main functions with the third being cosmetic. It's main functions are either providing warmth/protection from the sun and potentially also offering additional storage slots, in a similar fashion to bags in the inventory.

• Warm clothes: To address the two levels of weather conditions, two levels of warmth should be provided by clothes which should almost mitigate the effects of mild & harsh conditions, but not entirely.
  • Sun protecting clothes: As with warm clothes, sun protection clothes help to mitigate most but not all effects of extreme heat.
  • Nice to have: Pockets, pouches and bags. Pockets can be added to certain clothes, offering more storage capacity.
Camping:
To begin with, camps should offer shelter and cooking while traveling. shelter reduces the effects of mild or harsh weather and the cooking station would allow players to address already lost reserves, be it stamina or health.

• Camps should come in two levels to address the two levels of weather conditions by providing shelter.
  • Once placed, camps deteriorate and despawn after a relatively short period of time unless actively maintained with materials.
  • Nice to have: Campfires raise smoke which could be rendered from a distance, presenting additional risk of being preyed upon by criminals and murderers who can spot the smoke from a distance.

That's it. All three systems could be heavily expanded and made more complex, but my goal was to offer something relatively simple that would tie into existing mechanics.
Would love to hear your thoughts; if you like or dislike it, if you have any suggestions and where do you think should this stand in the current priority list.

The weather and temp system is on the backburner till UE5, whenever that will be. For some reasons they refuse to implement it in Myrland but it will be a thing in Sarducaa.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I think if they're going to implement any kind of meaningful and immersive temperature system, they will need to allow us to wear (or not wear) clothing in addition to our armour.

Not just for role-playing purposes, it will make clothing a critical component of maintaining a suitable body temperature.

So say in Nordveld, we will have to wear maybe a wool coat and hood just to stay warm, whereas the armour underneath won't do much to protect us from the elements.

While on Sarducaa, we may need to wear more free-flowing garments that will allow air to ventilate and keep the body from overheating, and maybe a face cloth to keep out the sand.

But make it so that wearing any kind of heavy armour on Sarducaa would just cause you to overheat and die slowly after some minutes in the desert.

Reactions: Hodo