Weapon speed buff needs to go

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
Just putting my feedback out there.

Increasing the weapon speed so much the last patch for low weight weapons literally invalidates anything SV has tried to do with "ping normalization" on top of promoting braindead spamming.

Also regarding steel weapon speed, i think the SLIGHT increase in speed on those should stay, they feel pretty nice right now and not too fast at all.

I've seen plenty of NA people complain that they cannot block super fasts flake weapons post-patch, and I can only imagine what it's like for anyone with Australian ping, etc.

My two cents.

Last edited:

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
I totally agree. The speed buff killed dueling and combat for NA players. Now the flow of a fight is just spamming, with an occasional parry. The animation cuts are WAY worse after the patch and sometimes don't even load.. (Que EU players posting speedpatch is fine)

Reactions: teddytw1209

Turd

Jan 27, 2022
Yeah this game needs more speed penalties and realism. Having to block for 30 minutes each fight sounds like a fantastic fucking idea lmao.

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
Between this speedpatch and SV's overbuffing of Alvarins makes me wonder if they even play the game.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
You guys need to understand the difference between animation cuts and speed of weapons.
One makes combat harder and the other is a broken bug that fucks with your visuals.

What wonder among all these crybabies is why on earth should everyone and their mother be able to parry every hit ?

Dont get me wrong, animation cuts NEEDS to go. But weapon speeds need an increase across the board and not only for trashy flake weapons hitting steel for 2dmg....

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Between this speedpatch and SV's overbuffing of Alvarins makes me wonder if they even play the game.
They have NEVER played either MO or MO2. They have tested the games in very friendly environments, but never the real game and for real. They have never farmed, never mined, never lumberjacked, never fished or anything of the other tedius systems in MO2, they have never dueled nor fought in wars.

If they had all of these systems would be 90% better if not more, it takes a noob 5 min doing anything and you see the glaring issues and boredom that surrounds these systems.

Very sad much wow.

Reactions: Tzone and Hodo

Navystylz

Apr 6, 2022
You guys realized it wasn't a weapon speed buff, but a weapon speed fix, right? They discovered that weapon speed wasn't working right for lower weight weaopns. Seems to be a lot of that going around. Like not realizing that heat penalty for stamina regen is on everyone right now so regen isn't working right.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
care to elaborate on "overbuffing of Alvarin"?

In short... Alvarins are just fast humans. You get a free 20 additional strength for bows, which means a Veela can use the same bows as any human shy of a Kallard or Sidoian. They are also faster than any other race in the game by a large margin. Oh and they have nearly the same attributes and better skill bonuses from clades than any other race in the game. I know I had a Sheevra that I shouldnt have deleted because he can do EVERYTHING my current human can do and do it faster even though I built him to be a Sheevra dex mage/dominator and my current character is a mounted archer hybrid.

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
You guys realized it wasn't a weapon speed buff, but a weapon speed fix, right? They discovered that weapon speed wasn't working right for lower weight weaopns. Seems to be a lot of that going around. Like not realizing that heat penalty for stamina regen is on everyone right now so regen isn't working right.

Lmao, how exactly does that matter whatsoever for the end result? Apart from you know, trying to look smart pointing out shit that everyone already knows.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
What wonder among all these crybabies is why on earth should everyone and their mother be able to parry every hit ?

You can slow down the combat and keep it less spammy and more calculated, but they really do need to make people take damage for tanking a hit whether they are parrying or not. It's the SECRET FIX THAT NOBODY WANTS TO TRY?!?! Every complaint has to do with how things affect parry, and nobody wants to look at parry. If they wanna leave the big window w/ slower attacks and keep quick, spammable parries (after they switched the swing anis I've gotten a few 'blood/sound' hits that registered as parries, so something is WRONG) all they have to do is find the right amount of damage to force people to move and be aggressive. They still get a fully charged swing for low-ish stam cost.

I also wish if you whiffed an attack that you could have a longer animation of not being able to do anything. My whole play style revolves around taking an inevitable parry, baiting a whiff, and then hitting them in that tiny window where they are vulnerable. That's pretty fakn hard to do and people who are smarter it's near impossible to do. I've tried so much shit to avoid just spin parry combat.

If people wanna avoid spammy combat, add in wep based cool down for swings and parries + dmg thru parries. So you can still play the outside and hit people and get out, say, as an 'overbuffed' veela (lol veela is strong cuz clades and good at MA, but you guys aren't accounting for the fact that they get BODYBAGGED when ever they get tagged cuz of con.) I also fail to see how this would damage group combat.

Another possible fix would be to increase the dmg thru parry when people get low, to avoid as much 'life saving' parry.

Funny thing is, if someone is spamming you w/ a flake wep, you'd still crush them if you just moved around a little and hit them back.

But yea, one thing is for sure this 'change' whether it was a fix or a change has exposed a flaw in the combat. Not that IMO the old slow parry parry hide swing combat wasn't flawed as well, but this is another flaw. I applaud their effort. I fall w/ Jatix on this saying why are flake and such weps even so light? The balance on normal like 2-ish wt weps is alright IMO, and other lite weps like KAT which I TRIED AND TRIED do not fit my playstyle at all. I think someone who could just get in on you and keep spamming would be pretty tough, but that ain't me.

I wanna see someone admit combat, esp 1v1 was pretty bad before and it's still pretty bad now. haha. Just a lil different. The idea would be to try to make it 'decent' and immersive and skill based w/ more thought and less spinz. I don't think anyone who is not a MO player is watching two high tiered duelers fight and saying WOW THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME. I WANNA LEARN 2 B GOOD.

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
I wanna see someone admit combat, esp 1v1 was pretty bad before and it's still pretty bad now. haha. Just a lil different. The idea would be to try to make it 'decent' and immersive and skill based w/ more thought and less spinz. I don't think anyone who is not a MO player is watching two high tiered duelers fight and saying WOW THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME. I WANNA LEARN 2 B GOOD.

I dont watch chess grandmasters play and think "holy fuck this shit looks sick". Nothing they do to combat will make it look "sick" to people who havnt tried the game, unless they start adding some special effects and shit to swings and all kinds of stuff. Also, it is argueably more impressive to look at somebody hide swings well etc. like someone thats very good at Mordhau or Chiv 2, instead of some dogshit runescape combat. Lets be completely real and honest here. The people who "hate" the spinning and shit in this combat, are the people who are trash at the game and dont bother learning it, and tend to lose to it.

I agree that a weapon speed increase overall probably adds somewhat to the combat being more skillbased, but as someone already mentioned, it doesnt work properly and completely defeats the point of the "ping normalization". At the end of the day, playstyles and techniques that are really easy to do, should not be rewarded big. Like giving somebody a parry and turning straight around and running away from the counter so they get a miss penalty. Easy to counter but works very well against shit players, and can catch a good player off guard if mixed in from time to time.

Miss penalty is a completely dogshit mechanic IMO that nobody really likes. Being locked out of input is a terrible feeling and punishing missing swings could have been solved differently, like giving a flat stamina loss on a miss. Especially if the weapon speed is to stay the same, i think removing miss penalty is fine, as the reason it was added in the first place was fights taking too long when blocking was extremely easy due to the fact there were no counter-feints, slower swing speeds etc.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I dont watch chess grandmasters play and think "holy fuck this shit looks sick". Nothing they do to combat will make it look "sick" to people who havnt tried the game, unless they start adding some special effects and shit to swings and all kinds of stuff. Also, it is argueably more impressive to look at somebody hide swings well etc. like someone thats very good at Mordhau or Chiv 2, instead of some dogshit runescape combat. Lets be completely real and honest here. The people who "hate" the spinning and shit in this combat, are the people who are trash at the game and dont bother learning it, and tend to lose to it.

I agree that a weapon speed increase overall probably adds somewhat to the combat being more skillbased, but as someone already mentioned, it doesnt work properly and completely defeats the point of the "ping normalization". At the end of the day, playstyles and techniques that are really easy to do, should not be rewarded big. Like giving somebody a parry and turning straight around and running away from the counter so they get a miss penalty. Easy to counter but works very well against shit players, and can catch a good player off guard if mixed in from time to time.

Miss penalty is a completely dogshit mechanic IMO that nobody really likes. Being locked out of input is a terrible feeling and punishing missing swings could have been solved differently, like giving a flat stamina loss on a miss. Especially if the weapon speed is to stay the same, i think removing miss penalty is fine, as the reason it was added in the first place was fights taking too long when blocking was extremely easy due to the fact there were no counter-feints, slower swing speeds etc.

I think you're misinterpreting what I mean. Everyone knows how a sword swings. It's easy, within a few moments of watching, to figure out that a parry is a block and swing. It might take you a second to realize the swings you get from parry are fully charged. It's kind of like if you understand how the pieces move in chess. The reason I stopped playing chess as a kid was because I hit the crossroad of 'read books about chess openings/theory' or just take L after L to people who did. So, in a way, it's not a BAD comparison, tight meta to tight meta. The difference is that one is a thinking game and the other is a first person sword fighting game. There do not need to be effects for it to look cool, haha. Team fights, ganking people, stabbing people, shooting people will arrows and seeing the arrows stick out of their head ALL are 'sick' even to the casual observer. Why? Because something is happening.

I'm not good or experienced at high level dueling, but I dunno if anyone has hit me with a spin swing once. Maybe a couple times by sheer luck. The spin swing only works in the tight meta environment of two people standing in front of each other. I would def separate the pure spin swing from the spin-and move forward swing which is definitely useful. It's just a level of attrition. The time it takes to swing and the time it takes to parry, if you match it up, you realize the parry is wayyy faster. Eventually, people feel pressure and make mistakes, and that's cool. Or people fall into a predictable pattern that you can exploit.

But you talk about shit players, the lowest level of 'openings' for even a bad player is extremely small. That's the seed this all comes from and why it is ultimately bad, derpy ballet combat. Most people are practicing spinning without even needing to; it's just what people believe they think they have to do in order to get a hit on someone.

I definitely can see you invested a lot of time into the game and are skilled, but I think you are missing out on the reason why the combat is boring to watch.

^ you might be caught up in looking at the eye candy, but really if you just watch what's hitting and what sort of pressure you have to deal with, that's exciting to watch, even to people who dunno the game, right?

^ I haven't played VF in years, but that is regarded as a SLOW game, and you can tell it's much more grounded. Still, exciting. Why? Because no matter what someone does there is an opening or a quick way to create an opening.

^^ then we got this guy haha. I mean, it's like... You're good; that's cool. Ascii shrug. But you think that's a good final form of combat? You think that's the highest skill base we are gonna get? You can say I'm mad cuz bad but I'm not really mad, and you're right, I don't wanna put effort into learning the play style because I am still hoping they change it cuz I find it disgusting (you can draw your own conclusions as to why, but I generally dislike what is seen as GAMEY mechanics.) I've played games where tight, boring, metas ruined them. It sucks. If you are really into chess, you think you'd be into math and long-term strategy. You should be able to run parry v swing speed, movement/swing v stam and see there's not really a way to bleed someone out of them by outplay, it's just about getting a swing thru. also look at this:

That parry into a stab at 4:44 or so... you think that's good gameplay that he was able to parry that? That's nonsense imo. Those are the kind of things they need to look at and 'open up.' That was an exciting block into a FACE STAB that was negated by parry. That's stupid, imo. I can see there is a scientific way to look at it, but still the way the balance is skewed means it's too hard to pressure someone into making a mistake. Taking a parry and dodging is a very, very basic pressure move, that's true. But it's still A pressure move. Your action forces them to take an action (altho to be fair often smart players figure it out and don't counter, but the fact that their brain is wired to counter, you can force their hand) and by knowing that action is coming, you can plan an action in advance.

There were some high skill plays you did (similar to the one I pointed out) that were simply negated by parry. To me, that's stupid. It's not like chess because there isn't a grand strategy. It's more like DDR, like I said, where you are just seeing something come up on the screen then pressing a button as fast as you can react then throwing out a rock paper scissors counter.

Conclusion of rant: I disagree with your assessment that MO combat, dueling especially, could not be made much more exciting with mechanical changes. It's a first person melee combat sim. How can that not be exciting?

Edit: ps imo the only way stam loss would matter enough is if it ever got low enough you couldn't parry or swing. In duels, I mean.

Edit2: I have a better way to say it, kind of. I mean you basically walked dude backwards and zoned him, but it never allowed you an offensive opening. It only allowed you to more easily defend yourself/limit his attacks. That's backwards TO ME. And yea there are def kids who watch chess masters and get tingly. All of our brains are wired differently!

Last edited:

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Most high level play for any game look like spastic children and definitely dont play like the games are designed to be played.

Spinning throws most players off and is hard enough to learn that the masses wont do it, thats why you see it in all games like this even 3rd person.

Those 3 videos are very comparable in that you get the feeling both opponents do anything they can to win and I would not watch any for enjoyment because of the spastic gameplay.
But where you are right is that MO2s animations is crap and cuts too much, no fluidity at all, compared to the others its because MO aint got combos that link hits, only the ugly feint into next hit.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Most high level play for any game look like spastic children and definitely dont play like the games are designed to be played.

Spinning throws most players off and is hard enough to learn that the masses wont do it, thats why you see it in all games like this even 3rd person.

Those 3 videos are very comparable in that you get the feeling both opponents do anything they can to win and I would not watch any for enjoyment because of the spastic gameplay.
But where you are right is that MO2s animations is crap and cuts too much, no fluidity at all, compared to the others its because MO aint got combos that link hits, only the ugly feint into next hit.

Yeah, there is usually counter play tho. Team does help a lot w/ counter play. But the fact that in this game there is no limitation to how many times you can parry and like cerq said "imagine being locked out of an input," well, for the sake of ping and balance, having something similar to momentum would be nice. I remem back in the day the bball games I played didn't have momentum. Every person was like a crazy spider. You could still get by people and defend them really well, but now that they do, it just adds a different wrinkle and sometimes you make the wrong guess and get lost because they are going this way and you are going that way.

I mean I'm spinning while I play, too, but I'm not RAW spinning. If I based my game around parry, I could prol do pretty well, but it's not as conducive to effective parry to keep moving. Cerq keeps moving forward, but slowly, and he has stronghold lvl defense, if you imagine the parry input as + and the attack input as +, you realize there just aren't enough options. I've watched Mordhau and while it looks wonky at times, I think it looks a lot more exciting than MO2. If you can parry everything for 0 dmg, the people w/ v low ping will be at a huge advantage.

The lack of 'links' is also something, but it ties back, imo, to how fast you can go right into a parry. You *can* do basically any sort of crazy combo in MO if you are charging your swing, it's just not likely to be any more effective. It's smarter to just sit back and camp a parry and then hit people. But like I said that vid had moments of really strong exchanges that could have been exciting gameplay but were blocked by parries. That and a lot of the times hits got thru it wasn't even visibly obvious or it seemed almost like a mistake that they did. That's a problem IMO.

If MO2 combat was raw dogshit I would not worry to much, do my MA thing, live, team fight, etc, but it has potential to be good. True that about high lvl gameplay looking wonky and unlike other gameplay, but my main problem is that if you can always parry, the whole combat is dictated by that. It's cool that some people can parry every hit, and like I said, I'm kinda in brain melt land, but gimme a week or two and I could figure out a playstyle to fit within the meta. I just hate 1. overabundance of parry and 2. my playstyle is effectively nerfed. I maintain awareness of people ( usually loool,) and can guess what they are going to do even if they are behind me, so imagine me in the middle, imagine an opponent placed ANYWHERE except right in front of me (which is how people fight,) and think of ALL the options both of us have to strike at each other, but in the end it will probably just be a parry, and it would be better if I just faced up and focused on only reading animations and not moving. I dislike that A LOT, but only because I know how 'sick' (to use that word, cuz it gets me tingly) the swing arcs can be at hitting people in crazy locations, dodging them, etc etc, but then you get back into the face up game and it's like ting ting ting. I feel like both aggressive moving playstyle and defensive should be viable. Strong surgical defense and counter is like Floyd Mayweather boxing, but what about the people who are just overwhelming the defense. At some point,IMO, there should be a penalty to parry that will start to erode your confidence, whether it's dmg or whatever. Some way to apply some pressure. It would open up the game more. I don't think it would make it less skill based, and I think it would make it very exciting to play and watch, but that's just my 2c. Obviously someone like cerq who has spent countless hours mastering the combat and even prol has his mouse/kb settings tuned finely for that play style is not going to want to change, but I seriously doubt it would make him worse.

I like winning, TOO, but after awhile winning gets boring, to me. MO1 combat was probably worse in a lot of ways, but it FELT better. IT FELT like you were doing something. I think with the framework they have, they could make a really exciting game that was more exciting than, say, Mord, and relatively balanced for all pings. A tough task, but I can imagine it. Dudes talking about chess masters, chess masters lay in bed and think about matches or set ups, I got a million things that pop into my mind, but one of them is always the games I am playing. I can envision how to make it better, and it makes me slightly sad that people dismiss my PoV when I am the one thinking about it. Alas! I think about more than combat, but combat is really the 'bottom line' of MO.

It's w/e tho. I mean, I understand people aren't going to take me seriously unless I make a name for myself as a duelist. I HOPE I can get some team fight situations that help people realize I'm not just smashing my face on the KB. But I dunno if people will care unless it's beating good duelists.

Exiledkhallisi

Jan 27, 2022
Its so bad, gravyard hobo campers and naked miner griefers weilding bone/flake weapons can out melee people in steel...it isnt skill, its broken weapon speed.