Weapon speed buff needs to go

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
The spinning thing is annoying and cartoonish, but all you have to do is block the opposite direction of the spin and well you will block or parry it. The combat currently is a bit clunky but it works for the game. I mean it could look like that clown show of Mordhau.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

That's a more thorough explanation of my parry thoughts, complete w/ ass mouse drawing. Hodo, one of my friends said he inverted his stuff to troll people ahaha. The spin doesn't bother me in and of itself. It's just the lack of windows. Even w/ swing speed there aren't windows; there's just more pressure to make a mistake or get hit with some invisicrap.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Yeah, there is usually counter play tho. Team does help a lot w/ counter play. But the fact that in this game there is no limitation to how many times you can parry and like cerq said "imagine being locked out of an input," well, for the sake of ping and balance, having something similar to momentum would be nice. I remem back in the day the bball games I played didn't have momentum. Every person was like a crazy spider. You could still get by people and defend them really well, but now that they do, it just adds a different wrinkle and sometimes you make the wrong guess and get lost because they are going this way and you are going that way.

I mean I'm spinning while I play, too, but I'm not RAW spinning. If I based my game around parry, I could prol do pretty well, but it's not as conducive to effective parry to keep moving. Cerq keeps moving forward, but slowly, and he has stronghold lvl defense, if you imagine the parry input as + and the attack input as +, you realize there just aren't enough options. I've watched Mordhau and while it looks wonky at times, I think it looks a lot more exciting than MO2. If you can parry everything for 0 dmg, the people w/ v low ping will be at a huge advantage.

The lack of 'links' is also something, but it ties back, imo, to how fast you can go right into a parry. You *can* do basically any sort of crazy combo in MO if you are charging your swing, it's just not likely to be any more effective. It's smarter to just sit back and camp a parry and then hit people. But like I said that vid had moments of really strong exchanges that could have been exciting gameplay but were blocked by parries. That and a lot of the times hits got thru it wasn't even visibly obvious or it seemed almost like a mistake that they did. That's a problem IMO.

If MO2 combat was raw dogshit I would not worry to much, do my MA thing, live, team fight, etc, but it has potential to be good. True that about high lvl gameplay looking wonky and unlike other gameplay, but my main problem is that if you can always parry, the whole combat is dictated by that. It's cool that some people can parry every hit, and like I said, I'm kinda in brain melt land, but gimme a week or two and I could figure out a playstyle to fit within the meta. I just hate 1. overabundance of parry and 2. my playstyle is effectively nerfed. I maintain awareness of people ( usually loool,) and can guess what they are going to do even if they are behind me, so imagine me in the middle, imagine an opponent placed ANYWHERE except right in front of me (which is how people fight,) and think of ALL the options both of us have to strike at each other, but in the end it will probably just be a parry, and it would be better if I just faced up and focused on only reading animations and not moving. I dislike that A LOT, but only because I know how 'sick' (to use that word, cuz it gets me tingly) the swing arcs can be at hitting people in crazy locations, dodging them, etc etc, but then you get back into the face up game and it's like ting ting ting. I feel like both aggressive moving playstyle and defensive should be viable. Strong surgical defense and counter is like Floyd Mayweather boxing, but what about the people who are just overwhelming the defense. At some point,IMO, there should be a penalty to parry that will start to erode your confidence, whether it's dmg or whatever. Some way to apply some pressure. It would open up the game more. I don't think it would make it less skill based, and I think it would make it very exciting to play and watch, but that's just my 2c. Obviously someone like cerq who has spent countless hours mastering the combat and even prol has his mouse/kb settings tuned finely for that play style is not going to want to change, but I seriously doubt it would make him worse.

I like winning, TOO, but after awhile winning gets boring, to me. MO1 combat was probably worse in a lot of ways, but it FELT better. IT FELT like you were doing something. I think with the framework they have, they could make a really exciting game that was more exciting than, say, Mord, and relatively balanced for all pings. A tough task, but I can imagine it. Dudes talking about chess masters, chess masters lay in bed and think about matches or set ups, I got a million things that pop into my mind, but one of them is always the games I am playing. I can envision how to make it better, and it makes me slightly sad that people dismiss my PoV when I am the one thinking about it. Alas! I think about more than combat, but combat is really the 'bottom line' of MO.

It's w/e tho. I mean, I understand people aren't going to take me seriously unless I make a name for myself as a duelist. I HOPE I can get some team fight situations that help people realize I'm not just smashing my face on the KB. But I dunno if people will care unless it's beating good duelists.
The thing is that such limits sound good on paper for duels only but turn downright detrimental in group play.
So lets entertain something like a input lock after failures in combat, simple as a freeze for enough time for 1 max dmg hit.
Works great in duels to limit the time spent dueling. Now imagine a 10v3 and the fight is basically always one sided due to 1 accidental action resulting in a input lock means your dead from 6 hits from every side. Imagine taking dmg through parry from even daggers, meaning the zerg simply bash on you until your health is gone without you able to do anything about it except run for the hills.

With any suggestion to combat, always smash it through the zerg shit test. If something benefits a zerg more then a skilled player, simply trash the idea or change it until it benefits the skilled player more then the unskilled zerg.

This is why you will mostly see me advocating for making the game and combat harder harder and way harder. Meaning you NEED to train like irl to be decent in the game, sadly that goes against 99.9% of todays modern "gamers" who would quit if they lost against 2 elite players with 15 zerglings due to hurt egos. Most dont want to put in effort to gain results due to modern day privilege. Fake gamers have taken over true gamers games and its a sad state of affairs...
It's being reverted in the upcoming patch, when ever that is. Two delays already lel
Normal for SV, weeks not days!

Tzone

May 16, 2021
They have NEVER played either MO or MO2. They have tested the games in very friendly environments, but never the real game and for real. They have never farmed, never mined, never lumberjacked, never fished or anything of the other tedius systems in MO2, they have never dueled nor fought in wars.

If they had all of these systems would be 90% better if not more, it takes a noob 5 min doing anything and you see the glaring issues and boredom that surrounds these systems.

Very sad much wow.
This is why robmo is so great for the game because hes a actual player. Even if hes noob level of a player still in 5 mins he has better insight then the devs.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
The thing is that such limits sound good on paper for duels only but turn downright detrimental in group play.
So lets entertain something like a input lock after failures in combat, simple as a freeze for enough time for 1 max dmg hit.
Works great in duels to limit the time spent dueling. Now imagine a 10v3 and the fight is basically always one sided due to 1 accidental action resulting in a input lock means your dead from 6 hits from every side. Imagine taking dmg through parry from even daggers, meaning the zerg simply bash on you until your health is gone without you able to do anything about it except run for the hills.

With any suggestion to combat, always smash it through the zerg shit test. If something benefits a zerg more then a skilled player, simply trash the idea or change it until it benefits the skilled player more then the unskilled zerg.

This is why you will mostly see me advocating for making the game and combat harder harder and way harder. Meaning you NEED to train like irl to be decent in the game, sadly that goes against 99.9% of todays modern "gamers" who would quit if they lost against 2 elite players with 15 zerglings due to hurt egos. Most dont want to put in effort to gain results due to modern day privilege. Fake gamers have taken over true gamers games and its a sad state of affairs...

Normal for SV, weeks not days!

giphy.gif

Reactions: ThaBadMan

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
Daggers are mostly unaffected by both the buff and unbuff. They were fast before the buff, and they are still fast.
I didn't play daggers since beta and until the last patch, but it is my impression that they've actually become faster, in fact fast enough to compete vs swords despite despite all their flaws, simply due to their low weight. Either that or i've become better at PvP but i'm too hopeless for that.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I didn't play daggers since beta and until the last patch, but it is my impression that they've actually become faster, in fact fast enough to compete vs swords despite despite all their flaws, simply due to their low weight. Either that or i've become better at PvP but i'm too hopeless for that.
I've been using daggers since alpha. Speed hasn't really been noticeably affected at all since before release.

The main "speed" of the dagger has always just been the short thrust arc, which means when you get an early hit in the arc you'll get follow ups out really nice and quick. If you miss though, it turns into just about any other weapon.