We need stamina for combat pets

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
Im pretty sure Ariola is an alvarin, so nope. How many bears are faster than alvarins IRL?
They are all bipedal what’s the fastest bipedal animal irl?

In art there is something called an uncanny valley.

Retards think art and fun have zero to do with each other.

Same retards who’s fat brains think they are the majority of people when they are the minority when it comes to how they do things.

Just not a good argument you are giving is all.

Maybe we make gravity in mo2 pull you toward the sky?? There aren’t actually dragons irl durrrr.

Just stupid people thinking they are smart again here I guess

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
Listen guy. No one is saying they want bears and other creatures to be weaklings, quite the contrary, we have pestered SV to make AI better and thus harder to fight, we want predator creatures that actually hunt players during night time, we want epic bosses like a dragon thats gonna kill thousands of players hopefully before it dies.

Point is we DONT want player owned drones to be equivalent to said AI creatures we fight in PvE. When a player has a pet that essentially is simply 1 click more powerful player fighting for you.
There is a reason MO didnt have a good nor healthy population. Pets was a BIG part of that. Mistakes from learn you know...
If no one is saying that here I suggest they all go back to the drawing board with their communication skills cause that’s the impression they all give off all the time.

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
They shouldn't do more damage or have more hp than players either...

Do you people understand how ridiculous you all sound? A wolf is going to be much faster than a player. A bear is going to be faster AND hit like a brick sandwich. All combat pets will have staminas much higher than humans that it would be a waste of time implementing an actual stamina system for them. It's just unrealistic to expect one or two people armored in animal teeth using weapons made from brittle rock or at best steel to take on wildlife 5x their size.

Real and true.

Game could use more traps and more ways to fight them, but overall the idea should be that powerful animals have real advantages in combat against players 1v1.

Wolves are all easy to kill 1 on 1 but you get them in a large pack and you will probably need a healer

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
[/QUOTE]
Well then try taming a bear and train it to kill people. Come back and tell us how it works out for you.
All combat pets will have staminas much higher than humans that it would be a waste of time implementing an actual stamina system for them

Plain wrong. Humans can run for much longer distances.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
They are all bipedal what’s the fastest bipedal animal irl?

In art there is something called an uncanny valley.

Retards think art and fun have zero to do with each other.

Same retards who’s fat brains think they are the majority of people when they are the minority when it comes to how they do things.

Just not a good argument you are giving is all.

Maybe we make gravity in mo2 pull you toward the sky?? There aren’t actually dragons irl durrrr.

Just stupid people thinking they are smart again here I guess
The fastest bipedal animal IRL is an ostrich which can run up to 43 mph. They are faster than bears which can only attain speeds of 35 mph for the fastest bear (grizzly bear). Polar bears can only run up to 25 mph.

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
The fastest bipedal animal IRL is an ostrich which can run up to 43 mph. They are faster than bears which can only attain speeds of 35 mph for the fastest bear (grizzly bear). Polar bears can only run up to 25 mph.
So in other words the only animals faster than the bears should be the terror birds lol :D

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Hey if that’s what they want the lore to be go for it but that’s not what that means lol
You were the one implying that since alvarins are bipedal, they couldnt be faster than humans. Well there are bipedal animals faster than humans.

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
Cost is never a good balancing factor. When despite all your skill you get roflstomped by somebody who literally just pressed one button, in a game that is supposedly skill-based, you don't really care how much they spent on taming, training, and feeding the pet.
I'm not disagreeing with the fact that there should be a nerf, just that this could be another factor in balancing.

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
You were the one implying that since alvarins are bipedal, they couldnt be faster than humans. Well there are bipedal animals faster than humans.
Right and the only one you found was a bird, if that’s what they want to do then fair enough, but it’s a stretch

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I agree, a slight nerf in damage as well as major upkeep costs would make them more balanced. Making pets rezzable might be fine, too. I would prefer it if this was via an in game mechanic like necromancy or alchemy + veterinary & not easy to do.

I would actually make it very easy to do. Like comparable in cost to a 2h steel weapon. The point would be if you're a beastmaster you should be able to have a companion all the time fairly easily. But then like I said, make the companion more a complement to the player's capabilities than something that can carry a battle on it's own.

Right now beastmasters are either super crazy OP, or a total joke / lacking their pet entirely. Rezzable companions offer a happy medium that can be consistently maintained, making the entire role easier to balance.

Also the point of making the resource generated through taming/domination is that rezzable companions make them far less useful otherwise. You'd want a tradable resource that can rez tamable pets generated by tamers. Along with finally classifying taming as a damn profession given it produces tradeable creatures and items and zero in-combat utility. And then domination would require an untradable item generated by dominators used to rez either tamable or dom only pets. Domination would remain classified as an action skill since you know, it has in-combat utility given the untradable nature of dominated pets.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Cost is never a good balancing factor. When despite all your skill you get roflstomped by somebody who literally just pressed one button, in a game that is supposedly skill-based, you don't really care how much they spent on taming, training, and feeding the pet.

I mean... it can be a balancing factor. Cronite is objectively better than steel for a lot of items but you almost never see it used. In a game like this you do want some things that are notably more powerful and also obscenely expensive.

The thing is, high tier pets are both cheaper than full cronite and more powerful. A warrior in steel with a white bear or terror bird is going to crap all over some dude in full cron that has no pet and his build will be FAR cheaper to run. Even if the guy in cron is a notably better player my money is still on the dude with the terrorbird. I think a much weaker and cheaper baseline with some really cool stuff that's far more expensive than full cronite would be a good spot for beastmasters.

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
Right, this was more or less my point.

I'm doubtful you'll ever approach true balance with pets vs non-pet builds.

A start would be nerfing the health pool of certain pets to be closer to their wild counterparts... Meanwhile, an easy band-aid, which I agree doesn't fix the problem, would be to ensure they are extremely expensive and, more importantly, time consuming to end up with the optimal pet-- let alone one you can even use. If you have a shitty zerg pet with minimal resources that you just went out and tamed on the spot, it should have a shitty zerg pet hp pool.

Hell, just putting in multiple health pools that you can end up with, and make it very time consuming to wind up with the ones we have now on elders, would be an easy bandaid that would take minimal coding and get rid of zerg alvarin pet mages and the cheesier builds. I get that people don't think upkeep is a big factor, but imo when you can just go out and tame an instantly viable terror bird or bear this is a problem balance wise. Not THE problem, but definitely a problem.

Right now pets work basically like necromancy should, except we have the big hp pools of long term pets. Pets and taming should be time consuming and with the potential of ending up with valuable pets by the end of the process. Necromancy should be quick and easy, like taming is now, but should end up with small HP pool disposable cronies. Now Pets are both quick/easy and disposable, and valuable with big HP pools & dmg... No real down-side.

If you had to tame from cub and it took like a week of high expense & protection to rear up the pet to an adult form that is even useable it would at least make them less of a no-brain OP weapon.

Last edited:

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
A lot of people are complaining about tamer being OP, and although I believe most of the comments are faulty, there is something wrong about pets being able to fight indefinitely.

A horse can't run forever in game so why can a combat pet outrun, outfight and outlast a player who has to manage stamina? It's against logic.

Simply implement a stamina bar for combat pets and give attacks/sprinting a stamina penalty - perfectly balanced as all things should be.
Sure, they should absolutely balance it out. As soon as pets get some sort of armor and don't get stuck on every rock.

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
I definitely want all NPCs to obey the same rules as players do, this was what was promised on their site as well and got me interested in the game (and feeling betrayed afterwards). But currently, being a tamer is really unfun, as your pet gets killed by MAs and there is nothing you can do. Sure probably terror birds or white bears can be strong, haven't got either yet, but every other pet is weak af and they cannot outrun a horse and literally no one is on foot out there in the wild. They also get wiped in PvE as they take full damage from everything, the armor is super needed.

They can nerf the best pets if needed, but the middle and low ones need a buff, also as they cannot swim with you or cross many terrains it is really frustrating to use them. And getting the best pets is the most risky, especially as white bear only spawns in one place, you will get camped by large guilds. Definitely need random spawns so solo players can also access them. And not just random pet spawns, also random plant and other resource spawns are really needed, so it makes sense to explore the place all the time.

Currently taming is just god awful, if you ever run across anyone your pet will die and it wont land a single hit on their horse, and you cannot save it as it can be controlled so badly, we need stances etc. before nerfing them even more. And 3 days of afking after travelling to get your pet is super unfun and frustrating, dying to a pet you will lose nothing that takes 3 days to make unless you really go around in cronite gear and even then do you rly? Walking with a white bear etc. definitely is like going out in your best gear, the chance of you losing it to anyone coming across is pretty high, as arrows OP and nothing seems to be done about that. I guess MAs with them can abuse the system even more ofc, but that is a MA problem not a pet problem.

And it is completely realistic for bears etc. to outrun a player, and that is even quite barely the case.