We need stamina for combat pets

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
They shouldnt be faster than players either.

They shouldn't do more damage or have more hp than players either...

Do you people understand how ridiculous you all sound? A wolf is going to be much faster than a player. A bear is going to be faster AND hit like a brick sandwich. All combat pets will have staminas much higher than humans that it would be a waste of time implementing an actual stamina system for them. It's just unrealistic to expect one or two people armored in animal teeth using weapons made from brittle rock or at best steel to take on wildlife 5x their size.

• Haha
Reactions: ThaBadMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
They shouldn't do more damage or have more hp than players either...

Do you people understand how ridiculous you all sound? A wolf is going to be much faster than a player. A bear is going to be faster AND hit like a brick sandwich. All combat pets will have staminas much higher than humans that it would be a waste of time implementing an actual stamina system for them. It's just unrealistic to expect one or two people armored in animal teeth using weapons made from brittle rock or at best steel to take on wildlife 5x their size.
Yea its not like you can as a primitive human shoot 1 well placed arrow in a bear or wolf and instantly kill them right but in the game they have a artificial red line that decrease with small amounts every time I land killing blows...
A game where you are forced to play a certain way or get steamrolled is not exactly the definition of a fun and enjoyable game.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Yea its not like you can as a primitive human shoot 1 well placed arrow in a bear or wolf and instantly kill them right but in the game they have a artificial red line that decrease with small amounts every time I land killing blows...
A game where you are forced to play a certain way or get steamrolled is not exactly the definition of a fun and enjoyable game.
First of all, good luck killing a bear with a "well placed arrow." It's hard enough as is with firearms.

Secondly, if you want animals to be killed in one if you land your hits in specific spots the same would need to be applied to humans. Otherwise, just accept that animals that are bigger, stronger and faster than you are just going to be better than you.

Thirdly, you aren't forced to use pets. MAs/Mounted Mages are great as well. Footfighters come in handy when you're fighting in narrow, hilly areas where pets can't navigate well.

If everyone's crying this hard about simple bears, just wait till you see kurnas' and minotaurs. That'll really separate the "pls nerf" complainers from the hardcore gamers.

Reactions: TheOxMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
First of all, good luck killing a bear with a "well placed arrow." It's hard enough as is with firearms.

Secondly, if you want animals to be killed in one if you land your hits in specific spots the same would need to be applied to humans. Otherwise, just accept that animals that are bigger, stronger and faster than you are just going to be better than you.

Thirdly, you aren't forced to use pets. MAs/Mounted Mages are great as well. Footfighters come in handy when you're fighting in narrow, hilly areas where pets can't navigate well.

If everyone's crying this hard about simple bears, just wait till you see kurnas' and minotaurs. That'll really separate the "pls nerf" complainers from the hardcore gamers.
Listen guy. No one is saying they want bears and other creatures to be weaklings, quite the contrary, we have pestered SV to make AI better and thus harder to fight, we want predator creatures that actually hunt players during night time, we want epic bosses like a dragon thats gonna kill thousands of players hopefully before it dies.

Point is we DONT want player owned drones to be equivalent to said AI creatures we fight in PvE. When a player has a pet that essentially is simply 1 click more powerful player fighting for you.
There is a reason MO didnt have a good nor healthy population. Pets was a BIG part of that. Mistakes from learn you know...

G McB

Sep 17, 2021
Ive never seen a real bear be shot in the head with an arrow but I would have thought it would be reasonably fatal. Now I am curious...

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
A bear can survive a pretty high caliber bullet to the head due to their skulls thickness and shape. An arrow would most of the time just piss it off. But a lucky well aimed shot from practically anything can kill anything.

There is a hunting channel where they hunt boar who are known to be notoriously tough, using a blow dart gun. Shooting needles and killing them with a good hit to the heart/lungs.

What i'm saying is, head is not always the best target...

Reactions: Chef and G McB

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Listen guy. No one is saying they want bears and other creatures to be weaklings, quite the contrary, we have pestered SV to make AI better and thus harder to fight, we want predator creatures that actually hunt players during night time, we want epic bosses like a dragon thats gonna kill thousands of players hopefully before it dies.

Point is we DONT want player owned drones to be equivalent to said AI creatures we fight in PvE. When a player has a pet that essentially is simply 1 click more powerful player fighting for you.
There is a reason MO didnt have a good nor healthy population. Pets was a BIG part of that. Mistakes from learn you know...
So you are you OK with having high end gear (oghmium, cronite etc) that completely outperforms lower tier gear, but you are not OK with players having things like bears as opposed to limiting pets to be simple bush pigs or wolves at best?

Also, we aren't talking about taming a dragon here. We're talking about a simple bear. If you either limit pets to be everything less than a bear, or to gimp that stats of higher end creatures that would go against the spirit of the game. Honestly, I think you should look at what you are saying right now and reevaluate if this game is right for you.

G McB

Sep 17, 2021
I think the difference between Oghmium is that a person or persons in it can still be killed if they are bad and it takes a lot longer to actually gather and craft it and risk to lose it.

Whereas you go tame a bear and click attack and it rips people to shreds for free. You can even acquire one with a few arrows, a level 25 tamed horse and no archery skill to mercy mode it. Then afk it to max level.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
So you are you OK with having high end gear (oghmium, cronite etc) that completely outperforms lower tier gear, but you are not OK with players having things like bears as opposed to limiting pets to be simple bush pigs or wolves at best?

Also, we aren't talking about taming a dragon here. We're talking about a simple bear. If you either limit pets to be everything less than a bear, or to gimp that stats of higher end creatures that would go against the spirit of the game. Honestly, I think you should look at what you are saying right now and reevaluate if this game is right for you.
Yes I agree that metals that take months to get in a hostile area with few nodes to be better then things you can get every day.
Metals also dont fight for you, you yourself have to be good to utilize the metals in order to gain advantage. A bear or white bear or any other pet is a heat seeking missile that takes all of a tab click to gain maximum advantage. Its simply a abusable cheese tactic.

A comparable class would be either mage or archer to have auto aim on every shot, without spending stamina to fire. Sounds fun right ?

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
A bear can survive a pretty high caliber bullet to the head due to their skulls thickness and shape. An arrow would most of the time just piss it off. But a lucky well aimed shot from practically anything can kill anything.

There is a hunting channel where they hunt boar who are known to be notoriously tough, using a blow dart gun. Shooting needles and killing them with a good hit to the heart/lungs.

What i'm saying is, head is not always the best target...
Then again if you dont kill a bear in 1 shot with bow and arrow, chances are your dead or simply a fake hunter. Bears are crazy fast.
If you know to shoot, the bear is dead in 1 shot. Maxed archery means you are the best of the best.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Yes I agree that metals that take months to get in a hostile area with few nodes to be better then things you can get every day.
Metals also dont fight for you, you yourself have to be good to utilize the metals in order to gain advantage. A bear or white bear or any other pet is a heat seeking missile that takes all of a tab click to gain maximum advantage. Its simply a abusable cheese tactic.

A comparable class would be either mage or archer to have auto aim on every shot, without spending stamina to fire. Sounds fun right ?
Except in order to ensure the bear doesn't get focused or gets killed by someone in said high level gear that just spams left click mindlessly, the tamer needs to make time critical decisions on when to withdraw the bear, reposition it for a heal, and when/who to send it to attack.

Also, mounted archers and mages directly counter pets as it is now. Would you consider mounteds to be abusable cheese tactics as well?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Then again if you dont kill a bear in 1 shot with bow and arrow, chances are your dead or simply a fake hunter. Bears are crazy fast.
If you know to shoot, the bear is dead in 1 shot. Maxed archery means you are the best of the best.
Well are we going to let our skill points dictate how good we are at the game or should players actually have to be the one that has to be good?

I don't think its going to go over well with the community to turn MO's combat into runescape.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
I hope you guys realize humans have been apex predators since at least the stone age.

People arguing that you can't kill bears with bows and arrows have completely lost the plot.
By the level of technology depicted in Nave, humans were hunting & killing apex predators en masse, literally just for sport. Many Bronze Age kings are depicted doing just this, often with lances, but also bows etc... By the Roman period the colosseum would routinely be filled with exotic apex predators to be fought & killed for the enjoyment of onlookers. Lions that once roamed much of Europe & Asia are extinct into the iron age.

None of this should matter since this is, after all, a game... but wow, have you guys shown how ignorant you are using these nonsensical arguments just to further your own bias about a video game. The game should be balanced, regardless of whatever imaginary buffoonery you want to fantasize regarding predators in the wild and early humanity. Besides just being dead wrong, it has nothing to do with whether or not the PvP is balanced lmao

If you want to fantasize about man-killing monsters, you have to leave it in fantasy; the game can also feature monsters/mythical beasts of course... But in the real world, Homo Sapiens Sapiens have never had major issues culling apex predators. On the contrary, the list of large fauna likely to have gone extinct due to human intervention is long... And this, long before the advent of gunpowder.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I hope you guys realize humans have been apex predators since at least the stone age.

People arguing that you can't kill bears with bows and arrows have completely lost the plot.
By the level of technology depicted in Nave, humans were hunting & killing apex predators en masse, literally just for sport. Many Bronze Age kings are depicted doing just this, often with lances, but also bows etc... By the Roman period the colosseum would routinely be filled with exotic apex predators to be fought & killed for the enjoyment of onlookers. Lions that once roamed much of Europe & Asia are extinct into the iron age.

None of this should matter since this is, after all, a game... but wow, have you guys shown how ignorant you are using these nonsensical arguments just to further your own bias about a video game. The game should be balanced, regardless of whatever imaginary buffoonery you want to fantasize regarding predators in the wild and early humanity. Besides just being dead wrong, it has nothing to do with whether or not the PvP is balanced lmao

If you want to fantasize about man-killing monsters, you have to leave it in fantasy; the game can also feature monsters/mythical beasts of course... But in the real world, Homo Sapiens Sapiens have never had major issues culling apex predators. On the contrary, the list of large fauna likely to have gone extinct due to human intervention is long... And this, long before the advent of gunpowder.

I do think it's worth noting that humans hunted mammoths to extinction with stone age technology. And that elephants that were domesticated and turned to human use were worth many soldiers / one of the most feared weapons of the ancient battlefield. So there is also considerable evidence that powerful animals controlled by humans on the battlefield are FAR more deadly than wild animals hunted in the wild.

That being said you're precisely right. It isn't about realism. It's about fun.

Beast masters in most games are a two part build where the skills of the pet compliment the player character and the skills of the player character compliment the pet. They aren't that much more powerful than any other build and definitely a well done beastmaster class is never just a set and forget autowin build the way a beastmaster in MO2 is.

At this point I'm kind of convinced if I was running SV I'd actually give in to the demands for rezzable pets (for a price of course, and the currency used to do it would come from tamers/dominators) but I'd nerf the HELL out of their base damage and replace it all with neat skills that set things up for the owner to work with the pet to make the kill.

For instance I might make wolves give a debuff that increases physical damage on the target meaning that they work well in conjunction with a fighter ally but don't do much on their own.

And your new rezzable companions would only be things like wolves, hunter lizards, cougars, maybe a nerfed version of black bears etc. But they'd still need 100 points to control at level 125.

The big pets can stay in and still be terrifying, but I'd make them require a more expensive food that has you hemorrhaging gold the entire time they're out and remove animal care from the game entirely so you have to feed their slow leveling butts massive quantities of this food to get them from young to a dangerous level.

Like I would LOVE to see ridable campadons and would LOVE to see them be appropriately terrifying. And I'd love to only see them used in combat on rare occasions.

Last edited:

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
The fact that the AI still does not have to adhere to the same rules as players is the problem.
Give the AI, STAMINA and MANA. Make them have to sprint to run faster and use mana to cast spells.

Also, a good fix could be to tighten up the parry window on most animals and then make it so you can parry(or block for the ones you cant parry) them with any direction. Most animal's attacks are just basically impossible to telegraph combined with the fact that their attacks themselves are a bit jerky and the animation is too short. Either make them easier to read and the animation slowed down or make them even faster and let us ignore the directional block.

I miss the animal special attacks, they should be the main thing to put the animals apart from each other and humanoids.

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
I do think it's worth noting that humans hunted mammoths to extinction with stone age technology. And that elephants that were domesticated and turned to human use were worth many soldiers / one of the most feared weapons of the ancient battlefield. So there is also considerable evidence that powerful animals controlled by humans on the battlefield are FAR more deadly than wild animals hunted in the wild.

That being said you're precisely right. It isn't about realism. It's about fun.

Beast masters in most games are a two part build where the skills of the pet compliment the player character and the skills of the player character compliment the pet. They aren't that much more powerful than any other build and definitely a well done beastmaster class is never just a set and forget autowin build the way a beastmaster in MO2 is.

At this point I'm kind of convinced if I was running SV I'd actually give in to the demands for rezzable pets (for a price of course, and the currency used to do it would come from tamers/dominators) but I'd nerf the HELL out of their base damage and replace it all with neat skills that set things up for the owner to work with the pet to make the kill.

For instance I might make wolves give a debuff that increases physical damage on the target meaning that they work well in conjunction with a fighter ally but don't do much on their own.

And your new rezzable companions would only be things like wolves, hunter lizards, cougars, maybe a nerfed version of black bears etc. But they'd still need 100 points to control at level 125.

The big pets can stay in and still be terrifying, but I'd make them require a more expensive food that has you hemorrhaging gold the entire time they're out and remove animal care from the game entirely so you have to feed their slow leveling butts massive quantities of this food to get them from young to a dangerous level.

Like I would LOVE to see ridable campadons and would LOVE to see them be appropriately terrifying. And I'd love to only see them used in combat on rare occasions.

I agree, a slight nerf in damage as well as major upkeep costs would make them more balanced. Making pets rezzable might be fine, too. I would prefer it if this was via an in game mechanic like necromancy or alchemy + veterinary & not easy to do.

At the moment it's pretty easy to feed most animals. There should be additional items like medicines etc. to make the creatures be a costly weapon to upkeep vs. just a set it an forget it one like other weapons. It's a bit too easy to just grind a bunch of meat in an hour and have infinite food. It should be costly to maintain a war-bear food wise, for example. To fix this, maybe implement costly medicines/poultices that you need alchemy to make & veterinary to use on your pet that stave off diseases; if you don't use these medicines you end up with a weaker version of the same pet etc.

This could actually make it more fun too; kind of like Pokemon or Digimon or other 'monster collecting' games where you can end up with bad results if you raise a pet/monster wrong.You wouldn't even have to make different models, just change size & stats depending on your results.

Another easy balancing fix could be to make certain pets, specifically carnivore/predators, only be tamable as babies/cubs. Not only would this be more realistic, but it would make strong adult pet bears, for instance, a more valuable resource. You then have to spend a good amount of time raising the cub up, a costly process with the potentiality of ending up with a less than optimal version of the pet if you didn't do things right re: food & medicine, and maybe even combat.

Anyway just, spitballing on the topic... Basically, my thinking is it should just be more difficult and costly. Raising pets should be one of the most costly & time consuming endeavours in Nave imo, especially if they are going to end up as powerful as some of them do atm.

Last edited:

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
There should be additional items like medicines etc. to make the creatures be a costly weapon to upkeep vs. just a set it an forget it one like other weapons.
Cost is never a good balancing factor. When despite all your skill you get roflstomped by somebody who literally just pressed one button, in a game that is supposedly skill-based, you don't really care how much they spent on taming, training, and feeding the pet.