Tailoring?

Detrimentum

Aug 22, 2021
Any word on when clothing and the tailoring skill will hit MO2? I'm certain many players would disagree on its priority but i would say an early access release without player clothing would be somewhat dull. there is little enough character customization as it is.

EDIT: One of the features i was most fond of in Ultima Online was its extensive character customization, with clothing, dyes, trinkets, karma/fame titles and much more. Vanity and status incentivized players to scour even the most remote places in the world, finding rare items, clothing and dyes allowing them to show off in front of the city bank. Clothing makes the world seem more lively to me, especially in a game where player/character reputation is meaningful.

Last edited:

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Any word on when clothing and the tailoring skill will hit MO2? I'm certain many players would disagree on its priority but i would say an early access release without player clothing would be somewhat dull. there is little enough character customization as it is.

EDIT: One of the features i was most fond of in Ultima Online was its extensive character customization, with clothing, dyes, trinkets, karma titles and much more. Vanity and status gave players motivation to scour the most remote places in the world, finding rare items, clothing and dyes allowing them to show off in front of the city bank. Clothing makes the world seem more lively to me, especially in a game where player/character reputation is meaningful.

No eta on dyes and trinkets although they have been mentioned in dev streams. I don't believe we'll see this before EA.

EA is going to be strictly focused on the core. Whether or not tailoring should be considered core is hard to say.

Reactions: Detrimentum

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
It would be nice also if we could wear clothing on top of armour like in UO.

So you could for example wear robes that concealed your armour such that from a distance it would hard to tell what armour the player was wearing.

It would also allow guilds to set their own uniforms and dye them, maybe we could have custom patterns or logos on cloaks and other clothing.

Detrimentum

Aug 22, 2021
It would be nice also if we could wear clothing on top of armour like in UO.

I'm not an expert, but it could be that adding more item layers to render (IE a robe or sash over an armor) would not perform well on the current client/server architecture.

To be honest, i'm afraid technical issues might be the reason we do not see clothes implemented yet, or worse yet, will never be implemented because of potential constraints.

Last edited:

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
I'm not an expert, but it could be that adding more item slots to render (IE a robe or sash over an armor) would not perform well on the current server architecture.

To be honest, i'm afraid technical issues might be the reason we do not see clothes implemented yet, or worse yet, will never be implemented because of potential constraints.

Rendering is a function of the client side so adding more unique models and textures to the scene would only typically increase VRAM usage. That said, yes the server would need to send your client more data about the other player being loaded on your screen, so a performance consideration none the less for the server side.

Reactions: Detrimentum

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Agree that clothing should be a moderately high priority. Firstly seeing mages in full armor is dumb. Secondly, if you want RP and people hanging out in taverns and in town, they should be in normal clothes. Walking into a tavern and seeing 30 people in full plate playing parlor games with helms on is dumb.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Walking into a tavern and seeing 30 people in full plate playing parlor games with helms on is dumb.
That's my mental image of how that would look: silly.

15540081080_f36865ac57_c.jpg

fig. 1 by
Cassius Marcellus Coolidge is in the Public Domain

And then, the guards come in...

But when will it be practical to ever take off armour? It might have to be enough to cover it, a little, as
@finegamingconnoisseur says.

laylah_sig_wide_zps90b85aae.JPG

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
But when will it be practical to ever take off armour? It might have to be enough to cover it, a little, as @finegamingconnoisseur says.

Henrik has mentioned having places where you can't bring in weapons (or rather guards will attack if you do come in armed), so I could imagine the same, being in armor considered as armed.

Might be easiest actually to have clothes be under armor (to not have to worry about animation etc, rather than over, so you can just unequip your armor and be ready to go (or even a command to unequip all armor and weapons).

Reactions: Moored