Suggestion to make Mage feel more fun to play and more effective

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
Just throwing an idea out there for mage play to feel fun and viable without it feeling so restricted and maybe the mage pop will go back up and allow for more rewarded gameplay for proper positioning and possible clutch gameplay from mages who do proper mana management

Instead of making a mage cast for every spell, Make the first cast of each unique spell have the timer that it's "charged" allow for casting during that time. I.E the new lightening spell buff gave it some viability. so during the 20sec charge time, instead of one spell allow the spell to be chained for combos during that time with the proper aim a mage should be able to PVE effectively if able to aim around the teammates that are there, or possibly allow for solo kills if they are targeted by mobs. if anyone has any input or other feedback feel free to share

Tzone

May 16, 2021
What people asked for was PvE spell. What they did was add more damage across the board along with increased the RNG chance of the get out of jail free card which was chance to not interupt.
How about increase damage on lighting for PvE only and also give it the ability to slow mobs. So now lighting has PvE use like people were asking for.

Reactions: SirVirtuo

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021
Mages have spiraled out of control due to bad players aka you asking for well bad things for the game. You want to turn mages from semi automatic to burst shot? Nice, if you were good it would feel rewarding. Seriously, mages need to be nerfed. Henrik is ruining pvp to help encourage pve. Shits an actual joke.

SirVirtuo

Nov 2, 2021
Man, damage boost is nice, sometimes... I like how lightning was boosted, but not high ranged outburst. I mostly just wanted actual, more utility as a mage so group play would be more rewarding than just casting a few heals.

We demand ecumenical MAGELIGHT. Too op, would break game, i know...

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
The fact of the matter is that the low end spells really don't help the late, full build of Mages at all so i can tell the nay sayers are full of it on here, that boost will literally only help the mage in the beginning stages when the experience gain is not at x100 i went back to MO1 and the mage is essentially useless for about a month because of the leveling process of skills and attributes. they are not out of control because some whiney FFs cant just get free kills on them, they didnt change much other than getting a little more range, and the starter spells of the starter school, that they wont have on release, but have to scribe into their book got a slight buff of 4-5 damage, and range of 200 or so out of 4000. but i've given up trying to reason with them because they go to every post and say the same boring thing and cant explain their point in an honest light

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
ECU should be reworked as support magic school (reduce the damage to 50% on players). the MO1 system where you had a small action point pool and the 50 INT curve is over. you dont need all stuff in one school.

make projectile, casting while moving, low range magic schools like Necro (more risk for the mage and players actually have a chance to reach a skilled dex mage) the go-to for PvP damage mages. deleting targets out of nowhere wont be so easy anymore.
PvE is easily fixed with negative PSY on AI!

a foot fighter needs stam to zig-zag and to close the gap. he gets peeled to hell.
the current state also forces bows (who are too strong too) on warriors so we end with a shooter game no one wants.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
PSY as the only defense is a very bad design in MO2 where you have only one char and not everyone is a human. its not even slightly effective cause the warrior loses HP and other important fighting stats so it will even out.

magic mitigating armor materials can also work, you can outgear/outfarm any dmg but not magic.
the paper-scissor argument wont work since we a have a complex game which must suit to the playerbase and economy.

SirVirtuo

Nov 2, 2021
ECU should be reworked as support magic school (reduce the damage to 50% on players). the MO1 system where you had a small action point pool and the 50 INT curve is over. you dont need all stuff in one school.

make projectile, casting while moving, low range magic schools like Necro (more risk for the mage and players actually have a chance to reach a skilled dex mage) the go-to for PvP damage mages. deleting targets out of nowhere wont be so easy anymore.
PvE is easily fixed with negative PSY on AI!

a foot fighter needs stam to zig-zag and to close the gap. he gets peeled to hell.
the current state also forces bows (who are too strong too) on warriors so we end with a shooter game no one wants.
This would be a good argument... If there were advanced magic in game, but there wont be for a very long time.

• Love
Reactions: AssassinOTL

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
These takes right now... were these guys the same one that said you should not have any safety in the game when it came to liktors and guarzone PvP?

there are ways to counter magic, but it does come at a cost that none of the FFs want to pay, they just want it for free, there have been tears over the discord, because some low level spells were buffed to make the new player mage experience better. i've lost faith that the GK alliance will ever be reasonable when it comes to something that is supposed to counter their class, but does it mediocrely, and is killed in 2-3 shots. but they claim that they are the elites and the best in the game, but come here and harass the community over the game progressing in a positive manner, thankfully SV has seen them even when they make their alt Forum accounts like they do in game and ignore the empty words they throw around all day

btw stocks up 40% after mage buff the future is in the results.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Just throwing an idea out there for mage play to feel fun and viable without it feeling so restricted and maybe the mage pop will go back up and allow for more rewarded gameplay for proper positioning and possible clutch gameplay from mages who do proper mana management

Instead of making a mage cast for every spell, Make the first cast of each unique spell have the timer that it's "charged" allow for casting during that time. I.E the new lightening spell buff gave it some viability. so during the 20sec charge time, instead of one spell allow the spell to be chained for combos during that time with the proper aim a mage should be able to PVE effectively if able to aim around the teammates that are there, or possibly allow for solo kills if they are targeted by mobs. if anyone has any input or other feedback feel free to share

The rule of cool doesn't exist in MO2 sadly. Which is sad because I feel like if the game developers were willing to make QOL changes and dare I say changes that make the game more fun to play instead of worrying about what the handful of "hardcore" players that have time to play all day and get upset at any changes that make the game easier and more fun to play. So no I wouldn't expect mages to ever change from how they were in MO1. Devs are sadly hellbent on making the magic system exactly the same as it was

SirVirtuo

Nov 2, 2021
These takes right now... were these guys the same one that said you should not have any safety in the game when it came to liktors and guarzone PvP?

there are ways to counter magic, but it does come at a cost that none of the FFs want to pay, they just want it for free, there have been tears over the discord, because some low level spells were buffed to make the new player mage experience better. i've lost faith that the GK alliance will ever be reasonable when it comes to something that is supposed to counter their class, but does it mediocrely, and is killed in 2-3 shots. but they claim that they are the elites and the best in the game, but come here and harass the community over the game progressing in a positive manner, thankfully SV has seen them even when they make their alt Forum accounts like they do in game and ignore the empty words they throw around all day

Lol mage Stonks ftw 😂

• Haha
Reactions: AssassinOTL

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Mages have spiraled out of control due to bad players aka you asking for well bad things for the game. You want to turn mages from semi automatic to burst shot? Nice, if you were good it would feel rewarding. Seriously, mages need to be nerfed. Henrik is ruining pvp to help encourage pve. Shits an actual joke.

I've said it before but there's really no way to 'balance' mages that doesn't either kill them or make them too strong unless they add gear to the mix and some other changes. It boils down to the fact that since it's so cheap to just roam around naked with 1g of regents it's unfair. But on the flip side no one wants to play a mage if they are completely worthless, but I wouldn't worry too much because once the game releases it's not like everyone is going to be maxed

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021

I don't drop wardecs, I get them refused. Wanna talk about it ;). That's just a hard for the record,the dude claiming a bunch of stuff couldn't handle a wardec from a few pals. You wanna keep talking hardcore pvp?

I encourage no pvp in blue cities, because nobody is really interested in bluezone pvp. You sit at a guard line everybody runs inside. Think what you want. If there's pvp inside of a town, best believe I will slaughter that town and it won't have population anymore. Look at what I did to fab, it still hasn't recovered TBH.

Last edited:

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021
I've said it before but there's really no way to 'balance' mages that doesn't either kill them or make them too strong unless they add gear to the mix and some other changes. It boils down to the fact that since it's so cheap to just roam around naked with 1g of regents it's unfair. But on the flip side no one wants to play a mage if they are completely worthless, but I wouldn't worry too much because once the game releases it's not like everyone is going to be maxed
Even if mages only had lesser heal they'd still be completely necessary in group rights. I'm confused where youre going with this. If mages didn't hit like a truck nobody would play them? Nobody would be willing to strictly support their group? So, a support class in everygame isn't played ever?

EZgold

Jan 28, 2021
Even if mages only had lesser heal they'd still be completely necessary in group rights. I'm confused where youre going with this. If mages didn't hit like a truck nobody would play them? Nobody would be willing to strictly support their group? So, a support class in everygame isn't played ever?
if mages only had lesser heals, yes they would still be necessary in group fights and for many mages that is mostly all they do in PVP. but then again, NOBODY would ever play them.
for people to want to play mages they need to be able to do much more than "group fighting healing", including reliable solo PVE.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Have to qualigy some of the absolutes to find useful answers.
Even if mages only had lesser heal they'd still be completely necessary in group rights.
They'd be completely necessary in group fights as Mortal players have known them. Most group fights would change and be very strange without even the least of mage heals.
If mages didn't hit like a truck nobody would play them?
Some people would not play a mage unless the mage hit like a truck.
Nobody would be willing to strictly support their group?
Some people would not want to give up dealing damage to be strictly non-damaging support for their group. Some groups would find themselves without a mage. If those groups where everyone refused to be the heal-bitch could not compete without a mage, they might quit playing. Or quit playing as groups.
  • I don't know how an entire group could end up without even one person willing to do support and support only, but since it's not impossible, and this is going to be a Mortal game, it would happen at least once.
  • Someone would inevitably end up being a mage who hated it, if support (with no damage-dealing) was all they got to do. Chances are we would hear at least one person ranting about it forever, too.
So, a support class in every game isn't played ever?
I'm trying to think of a game with a class or role where someone heals in support of a group where that doesn't go along with also being able to deal some serious damage. Not EQ or SB or WoW or RIFT or SWG or a couple others. Maybe someone will tell us one.

Maybe those who do play healer get to smite, etc., for a reason. Maybe it's part of the deal for most of them.

Last edited:

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
People seem to forget that a mage with less than 10 silver in gear can do enough damage to kill a fully geared fighter if the fighter cant do anything about it. If two fighters are fighting but the other has a naked mage team mate, the mage can easily hard carry the fight. The fighter can easily block the other fighter but he cant block the magic. He cant bandage to try and heal because the fighter can hit him, and he can get corrupted. And he definitely cant attack the mage because he will just run and waste stam.

Or if the lone fighter was winning, the naked mage can just spam heal the fighter, easily turning the fight again.

Now if this was a naked fighter team mate instead of a mage, hed be completely useless, doing no damage and dying in liek 2 hits if attacked. and he has to get close to do damage, unlike the mage, so hes actually at risk.

Reactions: Tzone

SirVirtuo

Nov 2, 2021
People seem to forget that a mage with less than 10 silver in gear can do enough damage to kill a fully geared fighter if the fighter cant do anything about it. If two fighters are fighting but the other has a naked mage team mate, the mage can easily hard carry the fight. The fighter can easily block the other fighter but he cant block the magic. He cant bandage to try and heal because the fighter can hit him, and he can get corrupted. And he definitely cant attack the mage because he will just run and waste stam.

Or if the lone fighter was winning, the naked mage can just spam heal the fighter, easily turning the fight again.

Now if this was a naked fighter team mate instead of a mage, hed be completely useless, doing no damage and dying in liek 2 hits if attacked. and he has to get close to do damage, unlike the mage, so hes actually at risk.
Would it be better if the mage supporting the fighter against another fighter wore clothes? At least then the magic man would be less demeaning during the 2v1

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
Would it be better if the mage supporting the fighter against another fighter wore clothes? At least then the magic man would be less demeaning during the 2v1
nah mage players are just always portrayed like that so it looks like it's unfair in the FFs way, but these guys havent logged on to the game or know what they are talking about or are just trolling in their free time and it's a waste to try to tell them to have a fair honest conversation they just sperg out in help chat and make dupes of names, and run from fights and say you did, they are not to be taken seriously.

Reactions: Najwalaylah