Risk vs. Reward

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
I was looking at the stream summery earlier and noticed talk about risk vs. reward in regard to thievery. I can't help but feel that risk vs. reward discussions only seem to go one way. This has been a argument that has been used to suppress pvp/crime since testing started with discussions about crime when horses had no real value. Fast forward to today horses have a great deal of value and can be farmed at zero risk for probably close to the best profit in the game. Where does this fit into the risk vs. reward argument? Since horses can't even be stolen the worse thing that can happen is you take horses off the market forcing people to buy yours. You talk about thief tools can we get some taming tools?

Another aspect I would like to discuss in this regard is package delivery. I understand the need for a free option here, but can we get some paid options, that drop on kill, and give increased reputation. This would add to the risk vs reward elements people claim to care about while lightening the burden on pvpers. Which would even encourage more pvper on pvper action.

Lastly I would like to bring up resource placement. I find it pretty jarring that I can get nearly everything 2min outside of a haven like population center. The only thing I would actually need to travel for in this map is tephra and a few other rare mats. I think this fits into the risk verses reward discussion because where is the risk when you can get everything in running distance of a pve zone? Which also eliminates the need to explore or to go on gathering expeditions for most things. Which do actually result in risk vs reward style gameplay.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I think that SV believes that blue players being ganked is what caused the population of MO1 to tank, so they are trying to cater to them in MO2, so great reward for little risk is their current setting.

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
Even worse is you go to these spots and there is a naked player there 24/7 that tries to steal horses and reports you if you kill them. So no matter what you lose. I get the need to be able to get a horse on the fly, but how about herding more than one horse you have to buy reigns like 5g for 2 horses, 7g for 3, and 8g for 4 all compatible with lower amounts and a taming lock out timer on success. This will require a investment from tamers and encourage them to put on some gear, and the timer will prevent them from subverting the system entirely.

manure

May 7, 2022
I was looking at the stream summery earlier and noticed talk about risk vs. reward in regard to thievery. I can't help but feel that risk vs. reward discussions only seem to go one way. This has been a argument that has been used to suppress pvp/crime since testing started with discussions about crime when horses had no real value. Fast forward to today horses have a great deal of value and can be farmed at zero risk for probably close to the best profit in the game. Where does this fit into the risk vs. reward argument? Since horses can't even be stolen the worse thing that can happen is you take horses off the market forcing people to buy yours. You talk about thief tools can we get some taming tools?

Another aspect I would like to discuss in this regard is package delivery. I understand the need for a free option here, but can we get some paid options, that drop on kill, and give increased reputation. This would add to the risk vs reward elements people claim to care about while lightening the burden on pvpers. Which would even encourage more pvper on pvper action.

Lastly I would like to bring up resource placement. I find it pretty jarring that I can get nearly everything 2min outside of a haven like population center. The only thing I would actually need to travel for in this map is tephra and a few other rare mats. I think this fits into the risk verses reward discussion because where is the risk when you can get everything in running distance of a pve zone? Which also eliminates the need to explore or to go on gathering expeditions for most things. Which do actually result in risk vs reward style gameplay.
Yes, its ridiculous... They only complain when it is something that will disrupt their gameplay... If someone kills their horse, or kill them...or in the near future, is gonna steal from them...
But they will never complain about HOW RISKLESS it is to mine around Meduli, with all those pathetic guards outside town protecting them. Where is the risk x reward ??
How come you can get a Geode off a rock that is located in like 2 steps away from a lictor guard ?? Wow... Super risky, huh ??

I only hope the devs wont screw with stealing...
Honestly, I am hoping that this reputation system is going to change somehow... Imagine how pathetic it would be to lose standing for snooping someones bag and getting insta killed by lictor guards at the same time ?

Please Devs, deliver us some intelligent system for Pilfering !
Going gray anywhere in town for stealing someone, with all those trillions of NPC guards patrolling on every inch of streets, is something that surely wont work right.
Thieves need to be able to ESCAPE, without being insta killed by lictor guards and their arrows damaging for like 300 hit points per hit !

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
Talking about risk vs reward cannot be narrowed to just one profession.

Equipment for malee warrior may cost few hundred gold and they may get killed by mage who just need a bit of powder.
Most of those afk miners are alts of players who trying to supply their knights.This activity is boring and take a lot of time.Do you think you should introduce more risk on the top of that?If you get rid off all independent noob miners the mats like steel will be only available to large alliances.
If you start trolling them there will be even more mages comparing to warriors because players will always pick least challenging path.

Recent addition of AoEs spells made large fights looking very chaotic and disorganized.Keeping formation was already challenging before all that new magic.It takes a lot of practice to be decent frontline compering to low skill/cost magic spam we see now.

I understand that the game is in early stage of development but before SV starts to ask for subscription payments a lot of changes need to be done in order to get MO2 balanced enough.

Last edited:

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
There is no risk vs reward in this game. One of the best ways to make gold is spirit farming which is done naked and invisible to anyone but other spiritist.
The worst thing that happens is you lose a few spirit boxes if you get banished.

Or lets talk about fishing that you can do all day long, also naked, right next to guards.

Call it grind vs reward. Literally, who can sit there and grind a single spot the longest for rewards.

Reactions: Rorry and Zbuciorn

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
Risk vs Reward can't work if every risk mechanic can be avoided by just having an alt. "Mining alts" are stupid. Criminal alts are also stupid and as long as the Alt problem is adressed there is literally nothing to be done in that regard. I mean you can just completely negate any punishment for anything by just paying for a second account. And please never stop lying about how much more expensive foot fighters are compared to mages.. as a beast mage my molva costs more than your armor ;)

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
The idea that you should not have functional systems because there are alts is silly. Alts certainly are not that naked guy stealing horses for free at the horse spot. Thanks to banning alts play risk vs reward also not that they are hard to find. Go to mk wood work any time of day and find botters. Yes poor management is also a factor.

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
The thing is you're calling it "non-functional" but is it? The guy (stealing) taming steppe horses near meduli doesn't make mad cash. And if you're fed up with him getting his pie and eating it how about the zergs in steel armor or better? There is obviously no risk in getting their equipment for them. You're crying about getting murder counts for MURDERING people and talk about risk vs. reward. Maybe try being a smart bandit and start robbing people who might actually carry stuff worth something.
I have mined near Meduli, in the Jungle camp and around the center lake. Trust me, you'll get killed without a chance of fighting back while doing so. So that's my risk. What's the risk for the guy stealing my 6 stacks of calx?! (60-70g) He probably lives out in the wild in a stronghold so there is absolutely no risk at all. Now add alt-accounts on top of that and the convicted murderer can just log in with another account and still use the blue cities as trading hub and safe haven. I don't have an alt so I can't just run around murdering people and then trade the loot with my blue char.
And now something about money and horse taming: It's not even close to being the most profitable method. You can 1.) farm Gamun (about 20 plants around Meduli if you know where to look) 2.) Fishing: Ventriosus are easy to catch with basic equipment and sell for 80-100g per 10kg. 3.) Smithing weapons: The prices are insane. You can simply buy the materials and make around 1g of profit for each weapon and finally there is mining/extraction: If you mine Granum, Saburra and Calx you can easily make Messing , Steel, Pyrite and Cuprum all at once. But the most profitable method of making bank is still ganking, by far.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
To be fair, risk versus reward isn't non-existent in or near towns, they're just harder to pull off.

A dozen or so naked players each armed with a cheap two-handed sledgehammer could probably kill a single armoured target. A follow-up group with one speedy runner who loots the bag while the rest distract the guards, and job's done.

And if you're unarmoured, one naked player with a two-handed sledgehammer could do you in in just 2 or 3 hits to the back of the head, regardless of how many guards are around.

Back in MO1, there were the occasional RPK suicide gank squads who sneaked into Tindrem and launched surprise attacks that killed several players in the bank with three lictors standing around.

The only reason why players aren't being ganked in or near town is because the guilds and players who are into this sort of thing aren't in the mood to do it... yet.

Last edited: