Reduce swing delay

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
The current swing delay makes the game unplayable for anyone over 150+ ping. Thats a huge chunk of the gaming market, considering the game will only have 1 server this is a really bad decision.

Now I get the idea is to prevent the dreaded insta swings from high ping players in MO1, and it has fixed that, but you guys have taken it way too far. Why cant you tweak it so we can reach a happy medium, the game is after all supposed to be global. The aim should be to sync our attack speed with low ping players, not make it slower. Id say the delay should increase very minimally until 400 ping then they can add a harsher delay for ppl that would basically be lagging on purpose to gain an unfair advantage.

Worst case scenario, you increase it back up. Its an alpha after all and the perfect time to test and tweak everything. I know many players, myself included, wont even touch MO2 until this is fixed.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
The current swing delay makes the game unplayable for anyone over 150+ ping. Thats a huge chunk of the gaming market, considering the game will only have 1 server this is a really bad decision.

Now I get the idea is to prevent the dreaded insta swings from high ping players in MO1, and it has fixed that, but you guys have taken it way too far. Why cant you tweak it so we can reach a happy medium, the game is after all supposed to be global. The aim should be to sync our attack speed with low ping players, not make it slower. Id say the delay should increase very minimally until 400 ping then they can add a harsher delay for ppl that would basically be lagging on purpose to gain an unfair advantage.

Worst case scenario, you increase it back up. Its an alpha after all and the perfect time to test and tweak everything. I know many players, myself included, wont even touch MO2 until this is fixed.
I'm done with dueling its never gonna feel right with such variation in pings, not what I played MO for anyway. At this point i'm just hoping for decent team fights, decent class creation and magic.

I don't know if there's anything they can do to not make it janky in some way. If its not everything's too easy to parry, then its going to be invisible swings from off your screen dunking you, and preparrying based on movement. I'd still say its better than the first game since you don't have to parry the air anymore (as much).

They can't write a patch that puts us all in the same part of the world, its gonna be dookie no matter what. Guess it just depends on whos style gets crushed and whos upset.

Reactions: Rolufe and Rhias

Kameyo

Aug 14, 2020
They need to have an NA server. If by some miracle of gaming there are enough players to support 2 severs.

Reactions: Bremlin

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
just move the release delay to the charge instead, so the release can be instant.

having the release delay as it is now makes combat feel extremely sluggish. releasing your attack only to watch as people move out of position and you end up missing just feels bad.

SV argues that you should block when you see the other player release, and that is why there is the release delay, to give the other guy time to react? I'm fairly certain that anyone who tried to play this way will just fail to block every time and die very quickly. maybe it works if the other guy has a much higher ping time, but i'm certain id never block anything that way.

example of delay changed to charge time instead of release time:
player A has 100ms to server
player B has 20ms to server
minimum charge time of 500ms (assumes fast weapon or perhaps a counter)

0ms player A starts charging
100ms server knows player A is charging, sends a response of release code X
120ms player B knows player A is charging
200ms player A gets server response, knows he can release
500ms player A releases, sending back release code X
580ms last time player B can block
600ms server verifies code X, knows player A released
620ms player B knows player A released

now lets say player A has some really bad lag and spikes to 1000ms to the server

0ms player A starts charging
500ms player A finishes charging, but cannot release because no code yet from the server
1000ms server knows player A started charging
1020ms player B knows player A is charging
2000ms player A gets release code from server, releases
2980ms last time player B can block
3000ms server verifies code X, knows player A released
3020ms player B knows player A released

-barcode

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I'm done with dueling its never gonna feel right with such variation in pings, not what I played MO for anyway. At this point i'm just hoping for decent team fights, decent class creation and magic.

I don't know if there's anything they can do to not make it janky in some way. If its not everything's too easy to parry, then its going to be invisible swings from off your screen dunking you, and preparrying based on movement. I'd still say its better than the first game since you don't have to parry the air anymore (as much).

They can't write a patch that puts us all in the same part of the world, its gonna be dookie no matter what. Guess it just depends on whos style gets crushed and whos upset.
It doesnt only affect dueling tho, your dps in group fights is affected and its harder to land hits. This change also does nothing for getting hit from far away, its mainly to nerf instaswings.

It probably wont be perfect, but it could be a lot more fair to high ping players, while still achieving its purpose. Now its the time to tweak everything, worst case scenario you get insta swinged for 2 weeks and they turn it back up.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
It doesnt only affect dueling tho, your dps in group fights is affected and its harder to land hits. This change also does nothing for getting hit from far away, its mainly to nerf instaswings.

It probably wont be perfect, but it could be a lot more fair to high ping players, while still achieving its purpose. Now its the time to tweak everything, worst case scenario you get insta swinged for 2 weeks and they turn it back up.
Yeah, you're not wrong. The dps in team fights is bothering me for a number of reasons. The parry wall is part of that but my main one is the swing animation (at least for swords) follows through mainly with the arm and handle, so you need to do a flick to land with your blade super annoying in team fights. It wasn't so bad when handles did a bit of dmg. I think its fine to nerf the 20-40 dmg handle hits on fat weps but swords should still do something.

I do think they should play around with the swing delay though, wish they could somehow make eu's behave more like na's.

and maybe Ecuadorians behave like they have internet.

WesleySnipes

Jul 8, 2020

So you're saying the game is jank fest and we can expect it to die in 3 months just like LO did? Shocking. Hell LO's combat at least worked (although not very well, in the larger fights, but I was never left wondering how someone blocked an attack from the back, or got dunked by invisible swings, or hit from 5-10 meters away).

Really surprised they didn't slap an NDA on the game. I show people a video, they see all the jank, desync, etc and instantly get turned off.

They should've never even bothered with MO2 if its just going to end up in the same grave as MO1 with what you're saying.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
So you're saying the game is jank fest and we can expect it to die in 3 months just like LO did? Shocking. Hell LO's combat at least worked (although not very well, but I was never left wondering how someone blocked an attack from the back, or got dunked by invisible swings, or hit from 5-10 meters away).

Really surprised they didn't slap an NDA on the game. I show people a video, they see all the jank, desync, etc and instantly get turned off.

They should've never even bothered with MO2 if its just going to end up in the same grave as MO1 with what you're saying.
Its becoming more jank over time. At the time we were talking about it before it was in a much better state to me at least. Ping sucked then too if I was being totally honest, but now its prediction abuse online, game blocks for you online just hold right click, and of course have better ping so you can spam lightly charged nonsense and then also parry at the same time online. Coming soon moving your mouse is too OP online.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Its becoming more jank over time. At the time we were talking about it before it was in a much better state to me at least. Ping sucked then too if I was being totally honest, but now its prediction abuse online, game blocks for you online just hold right click, and of course have better ping so you can spam lightly charged nonsense and then also parry at the same time online. Coming soon moving your mouse is too OP online.
Yeah last patch really fucked the skill ceiling from what Ive heard, it used to take some timing to block after swinging in MO1, now the game does it for you wtf. That spam + parry thing also sounds aids. Im really afraid for that turn cap shit they are apparently already testing, it would suck if the game just ends up as standing in front of each other trading counters online.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Yeah last patch really fucked the skill ceiling from what Ive heard, it used to take some timing to block after swinging in MO1, now the game does it for you wtf. That spam + parry thing also sounds aids. Im really afraid for that turn cap shit they are apparently already testing, it would suck if the game just ends up as standing in front of each other trading counters online.
I'm almost positive that is where the game is heading. You won't be able to do anything but counter hit while you're screen locked to look at your enemy, then it will just be whos ping lets them parry everything more. I can't even begin to fathom how they intend to keep group fights stable with something like that or have the track hit magic, makes actual 0 sense.

When/if that happens I think MO 2 might possibly be the worst game i've ever played.

WesleySnipes

Jul 8, 2020
Well the ballerina shit is definitely an issue they need to fix. It looks stupid and is functionally hard to discern what is going on. Two things any developer would try and avoid. Everything else that was talked about is just bad decisions, or decisions made around the presumed need to have one server.
Prediction abuse is happening because the prediction code is horrible.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Well the ballerina shit is definitely an issue they need to fix. It looks stupid and is functionally hard to discern what is going on. Two things any developer would try and avoid. Everything else that was talked about is just bad decisions, or decisions made around the presumed need to have one server.
Is it though? Does anyone even play like that? I know one player that really uses crazy spins. Can anyone show me a video??

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I dont remember ballerina spins being such a big issue in MO1. Whats the problem in doing a 360 in a duel? Unless its a tiny nerf its gonna fuck the combat up.

Its pointless to ask for regional servers, you know they not coming. Whats really even dumber than not adding them is making sure anyone with over 130-150 ping is totally useless in pvp.

Reactions: Teknique

WesleySnipes

Jul 8, 2020
I dont remember ballerina spins being such a big issue in MO1. Whats the problem in doing a 360 in a duel? Unless its a tiny nerf its gonna fuck the combat up.

Its pointless to ask for regional servers, you know they not coming. Whats really even dumber than not adding them is making sure anyone with over 130-150 ping is totally useless in pvp.

It's more about preventing something from being potentially abused. From an optics and functionality point of view they should adjust it some how.

The whole regional server thing has been beaten to death. It's clear henrik doesn't care about NA. I doubt very much the game will survive on european players alone tho, so good luck to them I guess.

MO2 could be very successful. LO took off like crazy to the sound of 50k concurrent players before it shit the bed. MO 2 is far more interesting game in comparison, but it's hobbled by obviously bad decisions.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I'm almost positive that is where the game is heading. You won't be able to do anything but counter hit while you're screen locked to look at your enemy, then it will just be whos ping lets them parry everything more. I can't even begin to fathom how they intend to keep group fights stable with something like that or have the track hit magic, makes actual 0 sense.

When/if that happens I think MO 2 might possibly be the worst game i've ever played.
Future MO combat:

But at least it looks good to investors, right?

WesleySnipes

Jul 8, 2020
Future MO combat:

Feel like parrying should cost a lot more stamina; both on the activation of the block and the actual parry/block itself. There's hardly any stamina pressure in that fight, they never run out.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Future MO combat:

Literally the game lmfao. Can barely watch that without laughing or crying.

Sv stock went down 10.2% on the Swedish market today. Early to say if thats due to bad news, people exiting the market simply because they’re up, or just a natural fluctuation on a naturally volatile stock. It does break a continuous upward cycle and a savvy investor may pick up on if Perro and tek don’t like the game than it probably isn’t mortal online even if it has it in the name.

To active testers, my delusions of grandeur and paranoia notwithstanding, if you’re enjoying the game but then you duel tek and are like wow someone shouldn’t be able to spin like that, well then I invite you to spend 9k hours playing FPS games. You’ll see that you’re much better than me with that kind of time investment But don’t ruin the game because the “skill ceiling is too high”.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Game´s in alpha testing and vets already have that weird mixture of PTSD, bipolar disorder and stockholm syndrom. What is this game doing to us?

Just give clearheaded and constructive feedback. Stuff can change drastically from patch to patch. If it gets worse analyse and criticize.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Game´s in alpha testing and vets already have that weird mixture of PTSD, bipolar disorder and stockholm syndrom. What is this game doing to us?

Just give clearheaded and constructive feedback. Stuff can change drastically from patch to patch. If it gets worse analyse and criticize.
I can’t be reasonable about it because the feedback itself is unreasonable. Some dumby duels me and is so focused on how fast I can track my mouse and weapon and still be accurate. Test the game not what benefits you most in duels which are largely irrelevant to the game anyway. That’s why I’m disappointed people who should know better are trying to LOWER the skill ceiling???? Best thing I can do for the game is not play it and call out knee jerk reactions for what they are and not legit feedback.

nobody saw me crying about attacks and parries at the Same time did they(weeks ago). Why? Because it was a style contradictory to my own and I appreciate skills of all kinds. I don’t fuckn go on a crusade to nerf anyone who doesn’t play like me.