Prof points, Crafter vs Refiner

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
My MA/fighter with enough magic skills for heal spells, corrupt and reflect and with the ability for high level pets taming + control has enough attribute points leftover into int to make it so i can have;

All armor crafting at 100(overkill), All bow crafting I personally always specialized in in Mo1, (longbows, with recurve as an option. Incase its going to be a bumpy buggy ride like in mo1, at 100 which is overkill), craft these things in all the materials that matter except for metal. With ability to switch between scale or textile lore depending on where i'll be playing out off. Closer to jungle? scales, closer to plains and spider caves? Textile. Enough butchering to do solo butchering just fine when there is no guildie butcher around. enough for maxed 1 zoology for farming + taming, which will vary depending on what animals i will end up using mostly(other than horses) and their control point requirements vs my CC skill.

Once crafting skills will work just fine at 70 skill, this will open up even more options for me.

We might have too many points TBH.

NexAngelus

Apr 10, 2021
odd.... as a fellow wurm player i myself also only find major fault in the skill system!
its very clear that, 100x or not, u level FAST in this game. when ppl have builds that limits them SO drastically, everyone will be "known" as a one trick pony. bob ya he shoots a bow, john, ya he can really ride a horse. jack, ya u seen him cast a spell before? aslkjdhffa, u seen that man craft a 1h dagger? stuff of legends!
why not just have ppl as fighters or crafters? ooo if u need ANY weapon, SNOOF will hook u up...for a price. watch out for sam, if u can see him.... ur already dead.
which group sounds cooler to be known as? a one trick pony or a master of a style of play? the skill cap sounds like something from early 2k.... but the rest of us know OLDER games didnt have this crap.
im not saying ONE answer is THE answer, but IT NEEDS fixing atm!!!

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
My MA/fighter with enough magic skills for heal spells, corrupt and reflect and with the ability for high level pets taming + control has enough attribute points leftover into int to make it so i can have;

All armor crafting at 100(overkill), All bow crafting I personally always specialized in in Mo1, (longbows, with recurve as an option. Incase its going to be a bumpy buggy ride like in mo1, at 100 which is overkill), craft these things in all the materials that matter except for metal. With ability to switch between scale or textile lore depending on where i'll be playing out off. Closer to jungle? scales, closer to plains and spider caves? Textile. Enough butchering to do solo butchering just fine when there is no guildie butcher around. enough for maxed 1 zoology for farming + taming, which will vary depending on what animals i will end up using mostly(other than horses) and their control point requirements vs my CC skill.

Once crafting skills will work just fine at 70 skill, this will open up even more options for me.

We might have too many points TBH.
We were talking about weapon crafting with metal making. (Metal making takes all the points.) For sure other types of crafting can be mixed. With your plan you are choosing parts of the system and not trying to craft all things with all mats, and this may become the norm for most players.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
odd.... as a fellow wurm player i myself also only find major fault in the skill system!
its very clear that, 100x or not, u level FAST in this game. when ppl have builds that limits them SO drastically, everyone will be "known" as a one trick pony. bob ya he shoots a bow, john, ya he can really ride a horse. jack, ya u seen him cast a spell before? aslkjdhffa, u seen that man craft a 1h dagger? stuff of legends!
why not just have ppl as fighters or crafters? ooo if u need ANY weapon, SNOOF will hook u up...for a price. watch out for sam, if u can see him.... ur already dead.
which group sounds cooler to be known as? a one trick pony or a master of a style of play? the skill cap sounds like something from early 2k.... but the rest of us know OLDER games didnt have this crap.
im not saying ONE answer is THE answer, but IT NEEDS fixing atm!!!

I don't think the actual leveling is as fast as we think. Further testing suggest that the x100 speed isn't currently affecting exp gains. The exp bar against each skill is the exp you will need to gain 1 level. Right now this isn't functioning but the exp gains are the same rate as they will be in Persistant.

My theory is they've done this:

• Exp gains that we can see currently in game are what they will be in live. E.g. you'll get 10exp per swing with your sword
  • Each exp bar will need to be filled up for 1+ level
  • In the testing phase, when they say it's 100x faster now, all they've done for the test is taken each exp bar's cap amount and divided the amount by 100.
  • You then get a level per that amount of exp after dividing eg. 75000/100 = 750exp per level.
    • This is why when you reach 100 in the beta test, the bar is just UNDER full even though the experience bar's tooltip states:
      • "Your current exp and how much experience you need to reach the NEXT level"
So really given we'll need to level up these bars 100 times to max them out, and assuming the rate of exp we're getting for our bars will remain the same, really it'll take 10000x times longer than it is now (100x100).

Obviously this isn't assuming the cap amount to level up each skill grows exponentially, e.g level 1 requires 1000 exp, 2 2000exp, 3 4000 exp etc.

To me if this is the case, the beta has been such a backward way of implementing increased rate of exp gains and potentially is what is causing their skill bug issues...

Last edited:

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
We were talking about weapon crafting with metal making. (Metal making takes all the points.) For sure other types of crafting can be mixed. With your plan you are choosing parts of the system and not trying to craft all things with all mats, and this may become the norm for most players.
I only think it makes sense. I will be churning out both bows and mid grade armor of all weights as well as light weight armor and throwing it up on the broker. My plan is to wear what I make, buy what I cant make and sell a pretty specific set of craftables. These 3 points are something everyone should think about when making a character build.

Have a plan for what you can make, what you have to buy and what you can sell.

For example, I cant make steel weapons, but I sell high grade bone armors(like incisium+silk/guardfur/ironwool). This gives me a resource that I can use to get steel weapons. Which is money. People are too stuck in thinking they need to be able to craft everything and get all the materials. You dont. You do the profession you think you can get good at and which is needed, you make the money you need for buying equipment you cant make yourself through the broker and to buy materials you can not get yourself, or buy materials to save the time having to get the materials.

Reactions: Amadman

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I only think it makes sense. I will be churning out both bows and mid grade armor of all weights as well as light weight armor and throwing it up on the broker. My plan is to wear what I make, buy what I cant make and sell a pretty specific set of craftables. These 3 points are something everyone should think about when making a character build.

Have a plan for what you can make, what you have to buy and what you can sell.

For example, I cant make steel weapons, but I sell high grade bone armors(like incisium+silk/guardfur/ironwool). This gives me a resource that I can use to get steel weapons. Which is money. People are too stuck in thinking they need to be able to craft everything and get all the materials. You dont. You do the profession you think you can get good at and which is needed, you make the money you need for buying equipment you cant make yourself through the broker and to buy materials you can not get yourself, or buy materials to save the time having to get the materials.
Likely we are remembering how difficult it was to get what we needed from the broker or directly from crafters in MO1 and how often we had to settle for using subpar crap in fights until we finally just decided to make our own crafters.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Likely we are remembering how difficult it was to get what we needed from the broker or directly from crafters in MO1 and how often we had to settle for using subpar crap in fights until we finally just decided to make our own crafters.
The difference is now you can see the armor and weapons stats on the broker, as opposed to mo1. Not to mention we have more players AND more crafters, since everyone is a crafter now. You do not have to dedicate your character for it. Which means everyone CAN be part of some part of the crafting chain and make money by doing so by being a part of the broker system.

I did end up buying a lot of things on the broker in mo1 though, with gearyou just had to take that risk of buying something from someone that seemed like he knew what he was doing and then testing the weapon and follow that by being a repeat customer.

Pets were probably what i ended up buying the most of, but you could atleast see what you were buying with pets.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
The difference is now you can see the armor and weapons stats on the broker, as opposed to mo1. Not to mention we have more players AND more crafters, since everyone is a crafter now. You do not have to dedicate your character for it. Which means everyone CAN be part of some part of the crafting chain and make money by doing so by being a part of the broker system.

I did end up buying a lot of things on the broker in mo1 though, with gearyou just had to take that risk of buying something from someone that seemed like he knew what he was doing and then testing the weapon and follow that by being a repeat customer.

Pets were probably what i ended up buying the most of, but you could atleast see what you were buying with pets.
I wasn't even talking about not being able to tell what you were buying though. I was only talking about how you constantly had to settle for buying crap because that was what was available, no one sold the good stuff.
You are assuming so much in your post. We have no way of knowing if there will be more crafters selling gear or not.
It could be that most people will only craft the stuff they want to use and not bother crafting for sale. In MO1 I had 10 to12 craftersat times, so did others, so I don't think it safe to assume anything about numbers and types of crafters. I worry that there will be shortages of certain crafts, and because gold may be easier to acquire by pve that noone will build chars to craft some things because they need to craft to have gear for them and their guild.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I wasn't even talking about not being able to tell what you were buying though. I was only talking about how you constantly had to settle for buying crap because that was what was available, no one sold the good stuff.
You are assuming so much in your post. We have no way of knowing if there will be more crafters selling gear or not.
It could be that most people will only craft the stuff they want to use and not bother crafting for sale. In MO1 I had 10 to12 craftersat times, so did others, so I don't think it safe to assume anything about numbers and types of crafters. I worry that there will be shortages of certain crafts, and because gold may be easier to acquire by pve that noone will build chars to craft some things because they need to craft to have gear for them and their guild.
God I really hope ther will be a lack of certain crafts. To then fill that niche and become rich is "nicepop.mp4".

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
with 100 int you can easily be a weapon/armor crafter and refine cuprum and steel based alloys.

maybe be a mounted character in heavy armor, so you can get away with having like 0 dex and 100 int.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
God I really hope ther will be a lack of certain crafts. To then fill that niche and become rich is "nicepop.mp4".
Maybe, I would hate to use my only char for something that has occasional high demand but only at low volume though. Some of the decoration stuff for houses, for example.

NexAngelus

Apr 10, 2021
i understand the scope of the "classes" or skill restriction but i really do feel all these issues would be swept aside if we had a time investment instead of skill limit. i dont really understand the argument that someone that has spent 1-5k hours leveling different skills is HURTING the players/community from say the person who just started that spent 100 hours grinding ONE SKILL and is just as good. and in combat for example.... the same skills everyone will have are the ones that affect COMBAT. only difference is maybe u run away from a guy chasing u in heavy armor that he pulls out a bow and starts shooting.... isnt that MORE dynamic? instead of the rock paper scissors it is currently?

Reactions: Grasthard

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
i understand the scope of the "classes" or skill restriction but i really do feel all these issues would be swept aside if we had a time investment instead of skill limit. i dont really understand the argument that someone that has spent 1-5k hours leveling different skills is HURTING the players/community from say the person who just started that spent 100 hours grinding ONE SKILL and is just as good. and in combat for example.... the same skills everyone will have are the ones that affect COMBAT. only difference is maybe u run away from a guy chasing u in heavy armor that he pulls out a bow and starts shooting.... isnt that MORE dynamic? instead of the rock paper scissors it is currently?

We really don't know until we see it in action once the game leaves beta. They've certainly gone the furthest of any games I've seen in trying to encourage the social dynamic of trading and working with others, rather than being self sufficient.

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
I said having multiple accounts is not winning.
Scenario: You make 2 extra accounts to play and have full skills. I have 2 friends to complete crafting. We see each other out in the world. Who do you think wins the fight?
Scenario: You have 2 friends and you each have 1 account. I have 5 friends and we all have 3 accounts. We see each other out in the world. Who do you think wins the fight?

Scenario: You have 2 friends and you each have 1 account. I have 2 friends and we all have 3 accounts. We both die and our friends aren't online. Who can craft a new set of gear for himself?

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
We both die and our friends aren't online. Who can craft a new set of gear for himself?
if SV actually improves the broker to a point of non-uselessness, you both should be able to buy new gear off the broker

knowing SV tho, they'll keep their ridiculously small cap on listed items, make the sort functionality not usable on any of the actual stats on the item, and provide no feedback to sellers as to what sold and at what price. hard not to be cynical when you see them copy/pasting all the existing systems from MO1 over....

-barcode

John Reese

Apr 1, 2021
I would love to see more points for crafting. its really hard limited... i think 1500 points would be really fine... or like somebody else said switch some primary to secondary skills, i mean you need already 500 points just do make a 2h sword.. thats defintely to much.

Ravenclaw

Apr 1, 2021
I don't think adding more points is the answer.

Things like making armor or operating machines is specific and should indeed be primary. It is a true skill.

However...anything classed as Lore should be secondary.
Calling something Lore means it is general knowledge...tribal knowledge... that one just "picks up" as one goes along in life. Sometimes Lore is written down to make sure that what has been learned will not fade away (books, duh).
Botany for instance... anyone can tell a tree from a flower, or a white flower from a red one... so why is it primary?

m4rt3

Dec 10, 2021
Drop BluntWeapon Crafting or 2h Blade hilt Crafting depends on what you prefer or drop Mastery alloys and blast furnance. I mean blast furnance only in gaul kor so yeah good luck. xD

Im not sure if im completly right but these are all skills needed. andyes you also have some points left because we ahve currently 1200skill point ingame, or am i wrong?

I dont know but it seems you can fit than in? or not? did i forgot something?

View attachment 1627
Don't you need Alchemy skill in order to run Alchemical Contraptions?