Poison

Rogu3Fiv3

Sep 13, 2020
I have been trying to think about poison, and its application to combat in MO2. As always, its trying to ride a line of something that's useful, but can't be exploited. I know Henrik mentioned he would like to add poison to the game, in the aspect of being able to apply it to weapons. Some weapons, will receive more of a bonus from the poison than arrows (For example a dagger will benefit more than a hammer).

But I propose adding yet another mechanic to the poison. Aging.

In other games, for example, lets say you hunt deer. You kill the deer, harvest its meat, and then take the meat home and put it in a box to keep it for later. But that meat spoils. 1 day or 2 days of RL time go by, you open the box, and its rotten meat. These games, would allow you to craft, like a smoke box, that would keep your meat fresh as long as you kept fuel source in the smoke box.

I think poison should also be on a "Life Timer". 1st day from its creation, its max potency. 2nd day, half potency. 3rd day useless.

I think that will keep a "constant" flow to certain craft trades.

I think it will also make it more difficult for someone to just "max out" their combat character because they always have a constant supply of best poison to put on everything. We make the poison age, and then they will still have to depend on someone else, daily, to keep those benefits on their character.

Just an idea. Lets see how stupid it is now lolol....

RFIve_Sig_2_1.png

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Stupid idea, because you couldn't sell "poison potions" at the broker. After some days in the broker they would be useless. Same for heal potions or any other stuff. You couldn't buy potions today and use them next weekend.

Reactions: Rhias

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
Stupid idea, because you couldn't sell "poison potions" at the broker. After some days in the broker they would be useless. Same for heal potions or any other stuff. You couldn't buy potions today and use them next weekend.

What if the poison decay only starts after it's been applied? 3 days from when you apply it to food or weapons. Seems reaonable. Maybe some better poisons last longer on weps and food.

Rogu3Fiv3

Sep 13, 2020

Why would I sell my potions to the broker? I would sell them to other players. And obviously, if you are talking about selling it to an NPC broker, then it wouldnt decay, until its back in a players inv or in player bank. I mean, that was kinda simple.RFIve_Sig_2_1.png

Grisù

Sep 3, 2020
For in game purpose is very subjective to like or dislike this suggestion (but seriously times proposed by you should be tweaked in a much less restrictive way, otherwise it is a big pointless alchemy nerf. We just do not live our real life in Nave).

For technical purpose, implementing this right now would be very pain in the a**, other than being time and resource consuming.
I can't stop laughing imaging Henrik going to Sebastian and ask him to implement this right now, the outcome could consist in some pc peripherals flying over the office; if this thing wasn't already planned when creating classes for items.

There will be need of memorizing a timestamp for every "poison potion" upon craft.
Then 2 cases:

Case A: create a new thread that cycles every minute every item in the game, check if it is a "poison potion", check timestamp, if it is aged matching certain aging table transform it in another "poison potion" item corresponding starting poison and aged time in said aging table.

Case B: every time a player uses/checks/moves/trades a "poison potion", run a method that checks if the poison aged matching a certain aging table, if yes transform the item potion.

This is what i could just imagine on the spot without even knowing MO2 code, it will be surely much more complicated and beyond my comprehension.

TL;DR version:
Aging, not only for poisons but for every perishable/organic item, would boost immersion and play dynamics; but certain should not work with super-restrictive times suggest by you (1 day decay for a potion, wouldn't even allow you to sell it properly, figures using it aftermarket).

If the whole aging feature was already planned in the initial game vision, I would had nothing to say about it, because classes and DB should be already aging-ready.
But if it has to be a brand new feature, for me it's a straight no thanks atm, imo MO2 right now lacks of many important features.
Maybe in 1 or 2 years from now.

Thanks for the interesting suggestion.

Zerotrigger

Nov 30, 2020
I think poison utilization needs to be its own skill. It should be reserved for players who have actually taken the time to learn how to properly apply poison to their weapons, and have also learned how to carefully manipulate and administer it into their victims.

Everyone and their mom running around with poisoned weapons will feel way to gamey and a little immersion breaking.

I guess you could make this a secondary under potion utilization, but I would like to see it be a primary skill.

Reactions: Grisù

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Why would I sell my potions to the broker? I would sell them to other players. And obviously, if you are talking about selling it to an NPC broker, then it wouldnt decay, until its back in a players inv or in player bank. I mean, that was kinda simple.View attachment 690
He's talking about trading it via the broker to other players. I think other games name this feature "auction house". In MO1 it was called "trade broker".

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Why would I sell my potions to the broker? I would sell them to other players. And obviously, if you are talking about selling it to an NPC broker, then it wouldnt decay, until its back in a players inv or in player bank. I mean, that was kinda simple.

I assume you don't know the meaning of a broker in MO1? It's the NPC of the auction house. That's the best way to sell stuff to other players.

Amelia

Jun 6, 2020
I have been trying to think about poison, and its application to combat in MO2. As always, its trying to ride a line of something that's useful, but can't be exploited. I know Henrik mentioned he would like to add poison to the game, in the aspect of being able to apply it to weapons. Some weapons, will receive more of a bonus from the poison than arrows (For example a dagger will benefit more than a hammer).

But I propose adding yet another mechanic to the poison. Aging.

In other games, for example, lets say you hunt deer. You kill the deer, harvest its meat, and then take the meat home and put it in a box to keep it for later. But that meat spoils. 1 day or 2 days of RL time go by, you open the box, and its rotten meat. These games, would allow you to craft, like a smoke box, that would keep your meat fresh as long as you kept fuel source in the smoke box.

I think poison should also be on a "Life Timer". 1st day from its creation, its max potency. 2nd day, half potency. 3rd day useless.

I think that will keep a "constant" flow to certain craft trades.

I think it will also make it more difficult for someone to just "max out" their combat character because they always have a constant supply of best poison to put on everything. We make the poison age, and then they will still have to depend on someone else, daily, to keep those benefits on their character.

Just an idea. Lets see how stupid it is now lolol....

View attachment 688
Interesting, an aging potion could be a value item to sell and improve interaction from players and the market too.

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
interesting ideas though, not sure why poison can't work like any other sealed bottle does intuitively in real life,
once opened the decay starts, not before, maybe pots etc too.. this just seems like coding but what do i know.