Oghmir mages and their clade gifts

Nisse

Jun 17, 2021
First Ogh gift tree is attribute points.
Second tree is crafting + damage reduction
Third tree is weapon skills + damage reduction

Very little in the Oghmir tree has any active benefit for mages. Many of the gifts are thematically opposed to being used by mages. Heavy armour, damage reduction and healing are the applicable active skill gifts. Ogh foot mages who try to leverage these lose their mana regen, as well as being unable to escape fights on foot due to low dex. This makes anything other than obese mounted mages not particularly useful, compared to other races. I’d like to enable more possible builds.

Originally i considered suggesting a gift similar to the human cleric gift, as it seemed suitable. However after some more thought, I’d actually prefer a gift to reduce the chances of spell interrupt on hit, in the same way as knockdown reduction works. This seems to suit the Ogh mage perfectly as it would allow them to stay in the middle of fights with their heavy armour, and actually do something other than be a punching bag. It would give an interesting mix of burst high damage close-range magic and survivability. The lack of regen would naturally limit how much they could deal out before being out of mana. Please note I’m only talking about a reduction in the chance to interrupt, not eliminating it altogether.

I suggest swapping some of the attribute gifts to the third tree. The first tree should have a branch with +con, +max con, and equipoise. Equipoise should be modified to also reduce interrupt chance, meaning it’s still useful for Ogh warriors.

The thread that finally forced me to post this:

Last edited:

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
I think that's a a great idea - lower interrupt chance is pretty potent. Gift order could definitely use some work.

A question I was wondering about today was for the armor penalty gifts:
1630158425757.png

Would this 3kg also make the mana regen penalty start 3kg later? that could be a good way to establish the oghmir as the tanky mage where otherwise those gifts are a bit of a dud for mages. A mage with 6kg armor and zero mana regen penalty.

Nisse

Jun 17, 2021
Currently, the two armour weight gifts have no effect on mana regen weight. Only the human “cleric” gift can affect the mana regen weight. It increases it by 2, for a total of 4. I’d be very wary of allowing any mana regen weight increase for Oghs, especially in combination with any reduced interrupt chance. That’s where I started when I began thinking about this, but Ogh mage damage and HP regen is so high, it just seems like it could be easily unbalanced.

Using the armour weight gifts allows at least 9kg of armour for just about any sensible Ogh build. There’s still the stam regen weight penalty to deal with, of course.

So the kind of build I’m thinking of is a mana battery wearing 9+kg of armour. Oghs can bring plenty of mana cap. Let them use it, but when they’re out, they’re out. Misjudging that and using all their mana is going to result in death. They will still be very slow with low stam. It would be a relatively high-skill mage build, which I think is a good thing to bring to the game. It could also let Oghs make some interesting hybrid builds with axes or clubs.

Reactions: Thumos