Quick Build question for mages

Biaxil

Aug 28, 2021
Are non-obese Oghmir mages viable for pvp? I like the idea of a mage Oghmir, but I don't wantto be horse bound. Thanks.

P.S. I'm brand new to the game.

Nisse

Jun 17, 2021
You can run a pure Huegar down to as low as stout weight and still achieve 118 Int, which is plenty. Going lower just loses HP for no real gain. You will want 25 dex and sprinting to give you basic mobility. You need to take blocking and use a shield because you still aren’t running away from people. Don’t waste points on armour training unless you’re sure you want a very tanky build, but do get combat manuouvering. Defensive stance is worth it if you are going full tank mage in plate.

The trade off of all this will be less mana, which will be made worse because everything about Oghs makes them want to wear heavier armour, which means low mana regen. On the other hand, the warcries, armour gifts, potion gift, and pipe are perfect for tanking. If you can work with a spiritist then you get more options for refreshing mana. Get anatomy as well and you’ll never need to waste mana healing yourself.

Now you need to figure out the right blend of strength and con vs psyche for you. The lower body-weight route is to use a cuprum axe (52 str) and accept that your spells are powerful but limited. This is about as close to “hybrid” as Oghmirs get. Definitely look at overweight and fat for more HP, just remember you don’t get many attribute points to fill every stat out, and do not have anything other than 25 dex.

Bulging steel plate wearer example:
Str 28
Dex 25
Con 100
Int 128
Psy 60

HP 222
Mana 188

Anatomy
Both armour trainings
Defensive stance
Blocking
Ecu plus the usual magic skills
Squeeze in passive regen if you want a laugh.

Going overweight instead gives 188 HP and 210 mana, which is probably the better trade-off. There are mounted variants of this kind of build as well. Just eat more and drop the dex.

The problems with these builds are that they rely on expensive armour and shields, and your spells will get interrupted even if you take no damage. Once you start getting hit, now what? You aren’t going to die quickly but it’s going to be very tough to get out of the situation unless someone comes to rescue you. It’s also not really achieving much that you couldn’t achieve by just dumping int and psy for strength and archery + an axe. I really think this is a potentially decent build for very organised groups, that falls off hard for the solo player.

If Oghmirs had a clade gift bonus to reduce interrupts, this would be much more useful IMO.

Disclaimer: I’m not a PvPer, I just spend too long looking at the character builder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thumos

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Are non-obese Oghmir mages viable for pvp? I like the idea of a mage Oghmir, but I don't wantto be horse bound. Thanks.

P.S. I'm brand new to the game.
It isn't that you couldn't, but there are better, more effective builds for foot mages.

Reactions: Nisse

undeadfred

Aug 18, 2021
10 run speed is somewhere between 2.5% and 3% move speed.
A 390 speed Hue to 430 speed Sheevra would be 10-12% difference in speed.
The benefit of the Oghmir would be you could easily get over 200 hp, and could stack some serious armor, but you will quickly find your mana regen taking a nose dive.

Reactions: Elenabel