Murderers Should Get Permadeath

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
A way to discourage murderers and have a more friendly population. Without doing PvP toggle or PVE servers is to make murderers rare and hard to survive in Nave.

1.) Players with a Murder count if hunted by a player or killed by a guard or aggressive NPC will experience permadeath and full wipe.

2.) This will make it harder for players to have a bandit lifestyle. They shouldn’t be able to live in cities/towns or have timer cooldowns. Murdering innocent citizens should be rare and punishable by death.

3.) Factions should be a thing and there should be PvP zones where killing a player is not a crime. If you are in the zone you are free game.

4.) Innocent players who hunt Murderers should have an option to arrest them in mercy mode and take them to the nearest town for a public execution. Each town should have a PC public executioner that is available online.
Would this enable the player with a perma-dead character to roll a completely new one? Maybe with a different name and clade?

Reactions: Serverus

Odsbodikins

Aug 14, 2022
Im genuinely curious why you play this game just for the PvE. Most that do love the thrill of getting killed at any moment. But you say you don't care for PvP.

I've always liked both PvP and PvE in these games. And I think the major appeal is the dangers in the world when doing anything. Perhaps you didn't mean what you said though?
Enjoyment: I play with my friends, we are a group that -like many gamer groups- plays across numerous games with a variety of styles. With MO, I enjoy the open nature of the game and progressing in things like the Alchemy, which is as in depth as any I've seen. I understand the dangerous nature of the game and plan for encounters in the wild like Sators and wild animals. The game also offers magery, which is a style I have always preferred. I confess there's a lot I would love to see for magic, but there's probably much yet to be implemented, so I reserve judgement there.

Difficulties with PVP: I play a wheelchair mage for a reason, primarily that I am blind in one eye and melee requires hand-eye coordination that I simply do not have access to IRL. I have other issues connected to why I play how I play, but for the crux of this convo, that is my primary reason for playing a wheelchair and PVE focused game even when the game is open as this one is.

I come into a game such as this fully understanding my setbacks and my abilities. I also know that I have friends who will back me up when I need it. I am also aware that I -when running solo particularly- will either be a target or need to stick to areas and activities that are within my ability. I don't participate in PVP if I don't have to, because I know I'm at a disadvantage, but I'm not averse to being in a party either, as a mageis importantand I have a fighting chance within a group that I don't have solo.

That said, I want to clarify, my original response was keyed to the idea of killing people just because they came along and farmed something. Those whose only goal is to murderhobo and disrupt at all costs just feel like they aren't trying to create a world, which -I think- is something of a point in a world such as this. They are just trying to be jerks to as many people as possible instead of maybe working with someone and trading.

Serverus

May 28, 2020
Moh’ki
Would this enable the player with a perma-dead character to roll a completely new one? Maybe with a different name and clade?

Of course! The permadeath idea would not be an account thing just the achievements of that character. So you can reroll a new char and grind up again. I think it would be a good way to bring balance. If you want to be a badass be a bad ass. Don’t hide behind a broken system that enables you to PK without consequences.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
Of course! The permadeath idea would not be an account thing just the achievements of that character. So you can reroll a new char and grind up again. I think it would be a good way to bring balance. If you want to be a badass be a bad ass. Don’t hide behind a broken system that enables you to PK without consequences.
Then, while I expect a lot of knee-jerk dismay at your idea, I think some might
find that they liked being able to change characters in a way that people who don't get perma-death cannot, and
enjoy a string of reincarnations as notorious killers who went out in a blaze of glory — BUT...

Only if it's not stupidly time-consuming to regain or gain new skills, and only if they can also change names & clades.

SV would never go for name changes, though, and they want clades to be similarly unchangeable.

Reactions: Serverus

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
That’s some bullshit and you know it. Stop putting smut upon my motherfuckin name. @Tzone

I was honestly intrigued by that game where you got a spark of life (you'd basically pay for your char's life,) and it wasn't perma, but apparently it was going to be balanced by your importance (so a more specced/important player would be more vulnerable to perma death,) then you'd have to buy another spark (that was their model,) and you could also keep some of your skills, so there would be a generational thing that can not be achieved in 1 life.

That's a huuuuuge undertaking and it's not surprising the game never did anything, still... it was cool. Like I said, I'm here for the luls and human interaction, maybe a few challenges. Sitting with the King and knowing if you and your boys all throw knives at the same time he's dead would change everything. I would LIKE that... if the model was working and they took a look at 'grief deaths,' basically perma deaths that are suspect due to mechanics.

But yea MO ain't built for that. Come to Jungle camp utopia.

Serverus

May 28, 2020
Moh’ki
I was honestly intrigued by that game where you got a spark of life (you'd basically pay for your char's life,) and it wasn't perma, but apparently it was going to be balanced by your importance (so a more specced/important player would be more vulnerable to perma death,) then you'd have to buy another spark (that was their model,) and you could also keep some of your skills, so there would be a generational thing that can not be achieved in 1 life.

That's a huuuuuge undertaking and it's not surprising the game never did anything, still... it was cool. Like I said, I'm here for the luls and human interaction, maybe a few challenges. Sitting with the King and knowing if you and your boys all throw knives at the same time he's dead would change everything. I would LIKE that... if the model was working and they took a look at 'grief deaths,' basically perma deaths that are suspect due to mechanics.

But yea MO ain't built for that. Come to Jungle camp utopia.

Talking about that game Chronicles of Elyria. Yeah that was an epic fail and dude Caspian walked away with 10’s of millions of backers money and he blamed it on Covid why he shut the production down and fired his staff. Meanwhile StarVault being the underdogs that they are created MO2 in the heart of the pandemic.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
A way to discourage murderers and have a more friendly population. Without doing PvP toggle or PVE servers is to make murderers rare and hard to survive in Nave.

1.) Players with a Murder count if hunted by a player or killed by a guard or aggressive NPC will experience permadeath and full wipe.

2.) This will make it harder for players to have a bandit lifestyle. They shouldn’t be able to live in cities/towns or have timer cooldowns. Murdering innocent citizens should be rare and punishable by death.

3.) Factions should be a thing and there should be PvP zones where killing a player is not a crime. If you are in the zone you are free game.

4.) Innocent players who hunt Murderers should have an option to arrest them in mercy mode and take them to the nearest town for a public execution. Each town should have a PC public executioner that is available online.

Permadeath will never happen in MO... to many try hards.

So... here is a counter.

Make it so if you have 5 murders in that nations region you are RED to all towns in that region. Simple.

Doesnt matter rep, doesnt matter how many parcels you run. But if you're going to go on a graveyard noob slapping spree then you should deal with the consequences. Dont like it.. dont camp graveyards and call it "PEE VEE PEE!"

Odsbodikins

Aug 14, 2022

So... here is a counter.

Make it so if you have 5 murders in that nations region you are RED to all towns in that region. Simple.

Doesnt matter rep, doesnt matter how many parcels you run. But if you're going to go on a graveyard noob slapping spree then you should deal with the consequences. Dont like it.. dont camp graveyards and call it "PEE VEE PEE!"
I like this. It makes PVP a much more conscious act.

I agree that permadeath won't happen, the nature of the game makes it too hard to make permadeath a viable option. But making your playable area change because you've chosen to play a particular way is interesting.

Should be a way to balance things so the player does have a chance to come out of the red over time. Maybe 5 murders in one nation and they are red to that nation, but red in one nation inproves your standing in another? So you can go to the second nation and use towns etc. or murderhobo over there and the reps swap. You would still be red to players, but the guards would grudgingly leave you alone (aka they can't arrest you if you haven't murdered there in so many months or kills whatever).

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Murderhobos who can't let PVE players enjoy their game (and provide the economy they need for important materials and crafting) should get smited by the gods with IG lightning strikes that send electrical shocks through their entire computer systems, so they have to rethink their lives and choices after their evil acts of selfish play that make games unplayable for a vital population as designed by the developers.

The lore behind it is that murderhobos stop the population of a world from increasing and improving the world'a lore and technology, so the gods choose to remove the bad actors in order to allow the good to flourish. (Bonus, it doesn't require a a stupidly named disease that's a thinly veiled opinion on players who don't care for PVP in a game that offers both PVP and PVE.)
This just makes me wanna log in and murder the first fucker i see outside town loool, anyways it's what i usually do :S

• Haha
Reactions: Odsbodikins

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Actually the OP may think this is edgy request but perma death for everyone would make the game really funny. Imagine the amount of grief-gank, imagine ganking crafters inside towns. Damn that would be so much fun.
The game would actually make much more sense.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
Actually the OP may think this is edgy request but perma death for everyone would make the game really funny. Imagine the amount of grief-gank, imagine ganking crafters inside towns. Damn that would be so much fun.
The game would actually make much more sense.
Oh, dear. No-one's going to remake a crafter for your second shot at it.

• Haha
Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020

So... here is a counter.

Thats cool and all...but you will still get slapped just as often as you do now. As well as all the "graveyard noobs".

We used to have to be punched by people or hit by pigs for 15 minutes after each death. Murder was just as it is now.

How about instead of trying to punish anyone for their playstyle (its weird people who don't like pvp are so obsessed with punishment btw) instead we reward people for how they play. If you want to be a good guy and not murder anyone, I agree the game could give a bit more incentive to do so. However, there are currently already benefits of that.

I just don't understand what you people want. You want people who enjoy pvp to be punished constantly for doing a kill that you dont personally deem justified? Thats weird to me.

Lastly, we've been over this 1000 times but if we did your suggestion then everyone would be punished because one single fight against another guild can make you red in that region. Its a small brain fix imo. Similar to what we had with MO1.

There have been many ways of a better system suggested on these forums. SV should really play their own game and understand how to make a proper pvp system. They've have over a decade to figure that out...and here we are still forced with a basic ass idea.

Odsbodikins

Aug 14, 2022
Thats cool and all...but you will still get slapped just as often as you do now. As well as all the "graveyard noobs".

We used to have to be punched by people or hit by pigs for 15 minutes after each death. Murder was just as it is now.

How about instead of trying to punish anyone for their playstyle (its weird people who don't like pvp are so obsessed with punishment btw) instead we reward people for how they play. If you want to be a good guy and not murder anyone, I agree the game could give a bit more incentive to do so. However, there are currently already benefits of that.

I just don't understand what you people want. You want people who enjoy pvp to be punished constantly for doing a kill that you dont personally deem justified? Thats weird to me.

Lastly, we've been over this 1000 times but if we did your suggestion then everyone would be punished because one single fight against another guild can make you red in that region. Its a small brain fix imo. Similar to what we had with MO1.

There have been many ways of a better system suggested on these forums. SV should really play their own game and understand how to make a proper pvp system. They've have over a decade to figure that out...and here we are still forced with a basic ass idea.
Rewards don't improve murderhobos, as they see the player's items as reward, or even the kill itself, or the title they get.

The problem is that we have come out of an era where "Shoot/kill everything that moves" is a perfectly valid playstyle. In a game where there are meant to be consequences for your actions (titles and rep just being two aspects of that) it makes sense to make it harder when you chose to play in a way that makes it harder for others to play.

It's not that PVP isn't an integral part of the game, that's admissibly not the case or it would simply not be there. No, PVP is part of open world play, or what's the point of things like TC?

Really, why punish the murderhobos? Because they make the game unplayable for a wide variety of people.Go play Fortnight or Call of Duty if all you want is to kill other players and take their shit. MO should be beyond just "kill everything that moves," and if you choose that path, you should feel the consequences.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Murderhobos who can't let PVE players enjoy their game (and provide the economy they need for important materials and crafting) should get smited by the gods with IG lightning strikes that send electrical shocks through their entire computer systems, so they have to rethink their lives and choices after their evil acts of selfish play that make games unplayable for a vital population as designed by the developers.

The lore behind it is that murderhobos stop the population of a world from increasing and improving the world'a lore and technology, so the gods choose to remove the bad actors in order to allow the good to flourish. (Bonus, it doesn't require a a stupidly named disease that's a thinly veiled opinion on players who don't care for PVP in a game that offers both PVP and PVE.)
I care about PvE, most players do, even more PvP focused players. It's supposed fuel conflict and causes increase/decline in regional economy...well that's how it's supposed to be, too bad the economy is absolutely broken. What I don't care about are PvE focused only players who feel the need to constantly whine and cry, posting the same wish lists involving changes that would turn this game into another generic themepark, safezone PvE experience.

If you want to do nothing but aimlessly farm and get a hardon at your hoarding obsession, when you look in your bank, that's fine. Just don't complain about being killed in a place another group see's as their territory or want the mobs you're farming and will resort to turning those not in their bubble into a lootbag. Welcome to a sandbox experience, well MO2 is more like a teaspoon with some sand it at the moment...but the point still stands.

MO is PvPvE. It's a game about resource and land control, player conflict, politics with it being heavily centralized around risk vs reward. Just the game is such an empty shell right now with a super broken economy, that the only thing to do to keep entertained is PvP.

Reactions: MolagAmur

Odsbodikins

Aug 14, 2022
I care about PvE, most players do, even more PvP focused players. It's supposed fuel conflict and causes increase/decline in regional economy...well that's how it's supposed to be, too bad the economy is absolutely broken. What I don't care about are PvE focused only players who feel the need to constantly whine and cry, posting the same wish lists involving changes that would turn this game into another generic themepark, safezone PvE experience.

If you want to do nothing but aimlessly farm and get a hardon at your hoarding obsession, when you look in your bank, that's fine. Just don't complain about being killed in a place another group see's as their territory or want the mobs you're farming and will resort to turning those not in their bubble into a lootbag. Welcome to a sandbox experience, well MO2 is more like a teaspoon with some sand it at the moment...but the point still stands.

MO is PvPvE. It's a game about resource and land control, player conflict, politics with it being heavily centralized around risk vs reward. Just the game is such an empty shell right now with a super broken economy, that the only thing to do to keep entertained is PvP.
Then take yourself to a lawless town and have at'er, you can EVEN duel in blue towns (gasp) without contributing to a further skewed economy because that PVE player was collecting ingredients for a 106 HP pot.

Solo players aren't always out there for your pleasure, maybe the only have the ability to log and collect for technical reasons. Maybe, like myself, they tailor their playstyle because of IRL health or disability issues that make melee difficult.

Instead of lamenting the fact that not everyone wants to run around like a naked idiot bashing everything that moves, maybe try starting to improve some of the content by participating in it instead of "me do only fun ting" with no thought behind it.

As to hoarding, yeah, you got me... so soooo hard. Did you miss my SQUIRREL avatar? Yeah, I hoard my materials. I'd steal your nuts if you had any.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Rewards don't improve murderhobos, as they see the player's items as reward, or even the kill itself, or the title they get.

The problem is that we have come out of an era where "Shoot/kill everything that moves" is a perfectly valid playstyle. In a game where there are meant to be consequences for your actions (titles and rep just being two aspects of that) it makes sense to make it harder when you chose to play in a way that makes it harder for others to play.

It's not that PVP isn't an integral part of the game, that's admissibly not the case or it would simply not be there. No, PVP is part of open world play, or what's the point of things like TC?

Really, why punish the murderhobos? Because they make the game unplayable for a wide variety of people.Go play Fortnight or Call of Duty if all you want is to kill other players and take their shit. MO should be beyond just "kill everything that moves," and if you choose that path, you should feel the consequences.
Its this perspective that you gotta direct" behavior by making certain playstyles terrible instead of giving tools to other playstyles that require them. This punitive perspective that you have to somewhat inflict pain to the pvp'ers, precisely that is from another era of gaming.

Odsbodikins

Aug 14, 2022
Its this perspective that you gotta direct" behavior by making certain playstyles terrible instead of giving tools to other playstyles that require them. This punitive perspective that you have to somewhat inflict pain to the pvp'ers, precisely that is from another era of gaming.
Well, when one playstyle (murderhobo), by it's nature, makes another playstyle (PVE focus) terrible or barely playable at best, it's a bit of tit for tat isn't it?

But truly, why not punish people for indiscriminate killing? After all, as you've agreed that it comes from an older game mind set, where there were no consequences to being a murdehobo. Looking to give consequences isn't trying to make running around naked swinging a big sword a "terrible" playstyle, it's trying to stop the cromagnon style of play from ruining the game for the rest of us.

Rather than think that murderhobo is a great way to play a game, maybe try seeing that it makes the game much smaller by limiting player retention, as well as curtailing the potential to further deepen into the systems that require PVE play.

What tools would you give to the PVE player to make things equal? I don't think there's anything that wouldn't be game breaking at this stage, as even having a fast horse and a bear doesn't deter some murderhobos. Should SV add some sort of tank?

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
cromagnon style
/sigh

I think everyone reading this 'resembles that remark'.

But
What tools would you give to the PVE player to make things equal? I don't think there's anything that wouldn't be game breaking at this stage, as even having a fast horse and a bear doesn't deter some murderhobos.
That's a really good question.
And it's true that if you just want to kill everything that moves, you really only need clubs & spears; no real need for shiny metal weapons & armor, stone castles, taverns, and so on.
Should SV add some sort of tank?
I think if you're doing PvE or anything but PvP you're supposed to take a small regiment of warriors with you to guard you. .... Does that ever work?

Last edited:
  • Haha

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Rather than think that murderhobo is a great way to play a game, maybe try seeing that it makes the game much smaller by limiting player retention, as well as curtailing the potential to further deepen into the systems that require PVE play.
I disagree. There are plenty of games that are very popular that have "murderhobos" (cringe name tbh).

The are very many other real reasons thats limiting player retention.