Mercy Mode

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
With the new patch they've added the ability of magic to put you into mercy mode. I'm not sure if they did this in MO1, but in the beginning of MO1 mercy mode was reserved for when you were hit for just about the same amount of hp you had left...but now its every time you are dealt a deathblow. I think the fact that you can be 5 hp and be hit for 50 yet still be put into mercy mode is unnecessary if not obnoxious, and now even magic will work the same way.

I understand that some people like the current system for various reasons, such as having the option to kill or not and the potential ability to execute if the animations are created (which I imagine they will). Maybe even have the ability to pilfer/steal from a person in mercy mode, so I won't suggest mercy mode to simply be put back to the way it was in MO1 or even to get rid of it entirely.

Something I would like to suggest is the ability to toggle if you want to put people into mercy mode or not. This will allow people who want to mercy mode for a duel, so they can steal something instead of kill, or simply decide to show someone mercy. This also allows those who never want to show mercy (most PvP focused players) to not have to put up with the need to finish off an opponent even if they were 5 hp and you did 50.

At the very least the 'No Mercy' option could return to the state where you are at 40 hp and are hit for 40 hp gets you into mercy as it was before.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
In Mo1 mercy mode was completely chance based when a hit would bring you below 0. The chance would be significantly higher, the time spent in mercy mode shorter and you would gain a tiny bit of health when leaving mercy mode with the subsisting skill.

Targets going down in mercy mode is part of something you have to plan for when attacking, an EZ toggle to toggle on/off before going pvping with the big boys? Might as well make pvp consensual at that point! lol.

Seeing as you die if anyone as much as spurts you when you are in mercy mode, I really don't see the problem. Mercy mode lets you more stylishly finish of your opponents too, the finishing moves will probably make a return one day. If you have a corrupt on you and you go down, you also die as soon as it ticks. So again? Seems like a personal problem, not a design problem.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
In Mo1 mercy mode was completely chance based when a hit would bring you below 0. The chance would be significantly higher, the time spent in mercy mode shorter and you would gain a tiny bit of health when leaving mercy mode with the subsisting skill.

OK I guess I didn't fully understand mercy mode from before then.

Targets going down in mercy mode is part of something you have to plan for when attacking, an EZ toggle to toggle on/off before going pvping with the big boys? Might as well make pvp consensual at that point! lol.

Toggling off mercy mode is nothing near wanting pvp consensual...obviously if it stays that is something you will have to plan for. Just because something is doesn't mean it should be.

Seeing as you die if anyone as much as spurts you when you are in mercy mode, I really don't see the problem. Mercy mode lets you more stylishly finish of your opponents too, the finishing moves will probably make a return one day. If you have a corrupt on you and you go down, you also die as soon as it ticks. So again? Seems like a personal problem, not a design problem.

IMO its an obnoxious, and unnecessary mechanic that serves no purpose other than creating a ragdoll after getting hit. I'm not suggesting it change because I couldn't or wouldn't get use to it, I'm suggesting a change because it seems like a pointless addition to have mercy mode every time you take a deathblow.

If I hear good arguments other than a 'stylish finish' then I would be willing to change my mind, but otherwise I'll continue to find it pointless.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
I legit would like to know the reasoning on why mercy mode is 100% chance now. It makes finishing off people who are below 30HP with a thunderlash impossible and just furthur pushes it toward being a numbers game. TL finishers was a staple in MO1.

Its just an odd change with MO2 that I don't think anyone ever complained about. Also...does being on a mount ignore mercy?

Aesorn

Sep 15, 2020
I am pretty sure bbihah might be somewhat wrong about MO1 mercy being chance based, like if a guy was at 1% hp and gets clean hit by a weapon or magic he will die every time and not go into mercy it always felt like. At the very least it felt reasonable when someone went into mercy like the hit he took was on the exact edge of his remaining life pool. This is how it should be, it worked great and felt reasonable when it happened. This new mercy mode everytime doesnt make sense like you said if you're at 1hp and get hit for 50 then you're still gonna go into mercy mode? lol... it makes no sense please change SV.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I am pretty sure bbihah might be somewhat wrong about MO1 mercy being chance based, like if a guy was at 1% hp and gets clean hit by a weapon or magic he will die every time and not go into mercy. It always felt reasonable when someone went into mercy like the hit he took was on the exact edge of his remaining life pool. This is how it should be, it worked great and felt reasonable when it happened. This new mercy mode everytime doesnt make sense like you said if you're at 1hp and get hit for 50 then you're still gonna go into mercy mode? lol... it makes no sense please change SV.
It was chance based, at one point somewhere around dawn they made the chance lower if the hit did over a certain amount of damage. This was however removed again at some point.

I would know, I was one of few people in MO1 that was actually running endurance, the times that subsisting or mercy mode actually saved me, were extremely circumstantial such as;

Saved me from dying from earthquake when we were sieging, saved me from an archer that couldn't reach me once I went down and a couple times while fighting around water.

People were not running endurance and as such did not benefit from almost 100% mercy mode chance, which was TBH quite useless. But it was a freebie for having endurance for passive regen and resistance swimming.

Then came the annoyance of actually paying 1000g(it was actually 10g, but hyperbole ;) ) and then leveling subsisting too...

Aesorn

Sep 15, 2020
It was chance based, at one point somewhere around dawn they made the chance lower if the hit did over a certain amount of damage. This was however removed again at some point.

I would know, I was one of few people in MO1 that was actually running endurance, the times that subsisting or mercy mode actually saved me, were extremely circumstantial such as;

Saved me from dying from earthquake when we were sieging, saved me from an archer that couldn't reach me once I went down and a couple times while fighting around water.

People were not running endurance and as such did not benefit from almost 100% mercy mode chance, which was TBH quite useless. But it was a freebie for having endurance for passive regen and resistance swimming.

Then came the annoyance of actually paying 1000g and then leveling subsisting too...

i'm just trying to say in MO1 after the hundreds of people I have killed in war that a guy never went into mercy mode from a deathhand or Tlash when they were very low HP, so if what you say is true it's either only with people that have 100 subsisting or you are incorrect about something. Eitherway right now it doesn't make any sense and should be changed to at least however MO1 was because that from my experience felt reasonable.

Keurk

May 28, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
i'm just trying to say in MO1 after the hundreds of people I have killed in war that a guy never went into mercy mode from a deathhand or Tlash when they were very low HP, so if what you say is true it's either only with people that have 100 subsisting or you are incorrect about something. Eitherway right now it doesn't make any sense and should be changed to at least however MO1 was because that from my experience felt reasonable.
You could intentionally level subsisting by being punch and put in mercy mode, it wasnt luck based.

Reactions: Aesorn

User_name

Mar 23, 2021
Maybe basing it on overkill (either absolute values or relative to max hp) would make sense.

Example: You have 100 max hp and after receiving fatal damage you end up with just slightly negative hp --> mercy mode. If you get hit hard enough to end up with less than let's say -10 hp/% you die instantly. Values scaling with Subsisting skill. I was quite surprised when, a few days ago, I hit some naked guy with 100 hp with a huge maul for 197 and he entered mercy mode and wan't instagibbed. Doesn't feel right.

Last edited:
Reactions: MolagAmur

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Maybe basing it on overkill (either absolute values or relative to max hp) would make sense.

Example: You have 100 max hp and after receiving fatal damage you end up with just slightly negative hp --> mercy mode. If you get hit hard enough to end up with less than let's say -10 hp/% you die instantly. Values scaling with Subsisting skill. I was quite surprised when, a few days ago, I hit some naked guy with 100 hp with a huge maul for 197 and he entered mercy mode and wan't instagibbed. Doesn't feel right.

Agreed, it's completely counter intuitive. To crush someone for a ridiculous number and they still go into mercy mode.

I think having the 100% chance can have it's uses, like in duels or when trying to tame an aggressive monster, but other than that it's pointless.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
The forced mercy mode system empoweres melee spamming footfighter zergs and devalues any gameplay that is based around high burst damage.

The benefits of controlled killing (for flagging), second chances and "cinematic" kills don´t outweigh the those negatives IMO.

Reactions: Kelzyr

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I legit would like to know the reasoning on why mercy mode is 100% chance now. It makes finishing off people who are below 30HP with a thunderlash impossible and just furthur pushes it toward being a numbers game. TL finishers was a staple in MO1.

Its just an odd change with MO2 that I don't think anyone ever complained about. Also...does being on a mount ignore mercy?
iirc Seb said on Discord they wanted to normalize the death animations for high ping players, as they would kill someone and 1-3 seconds later see the animation.

There was a poll made a few weeks ago https://mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/mercy-mode-bypass-poll.1250/#post-17105

Atr3au

Sep 22, 2020
Fauna getting mercy mode is annoying AF... Just let me kill it. There are no special moves to decapitate a pig.

Reactions: Keurk