Mages are trash or what the hell is going on?

Sakmakiel

Apr 3, 2021
Hello, wanderers.
I've played this game a couple of days, watched a lot of tutorial videos, builds and so on, then got some practice, and for now it seems to me that mages are trash, and there is no point for player to be pure mage, that is not good.
As long as I want to roleplay some really powerful mage, I cant do that, because with 100 int you do the same amount of dmg like with 50 int, that is stupid. To have some real dmg boost I need to have like 110-120+ int points, that makes me create only one type of character, and that not good as well. Moreover, it dont really understand the magic advance compared to bows. So basically, warriors can use powerful melee and range weapons (bows has much better range that magic), but mages cant use any melee weapon and moreover the magic options are not really good, because you always play like middle-short range, which is good for pure warriors as well. So warriors always have advance options.
In this case, I am really struggling with mage's path is much harder than warriors one. To do at least some damage, you have to learn mental training, mental offence, skill that makes your manacost lower, but being a warrior you just smash. Im not against hard mage path, moreover, I think it should be even harder, but the reward is not worthless at all. At least, till now.
So I wonder, if developers are going to do something with that (Im sure 100 int dmg shouldnt be 50-like one) or there are any things I dont know? What's your opinion?
Thank you for your attention.

Aesorn

Sep 15, 2020
INT scaling is getting changed apparently, but If you think mage is "trash" you're extremely incorrect. I understand you're a new player but trust me as someone who has been a mage main in MO1 for years, it's still very powerful even with only having ecumenical school at the moment. Though it's not something a couple days of "practice" will ever become clear to you on why or how they are.

Sakmakiel

Apr 3, 2021
INT scaling is getting changed apparently, but If you think mage is "trash" you're extremely incorrect. I understand you're a new player but trust me as someone who has been a mage main in MO1 for years, it's still very powerful even with only having ecumenical school at the moment. Though it's not something a couple days of "practice" will ever become clear to you on why or how they are.
Thanks! In this case, with what int I can play comfortably? What would you recommend?

Cobblecat

Mar 29, 2021
I'm still getting to grips with the game and have deleted a couple of characters after trying out new builds. From what I have seen of Magic in the game the main drawback is having to stand still, charge up the spell and then aim and release. During this time you can't block and as a big fat stationary target you'll take at least a couple of arrows or be getting hit with (almost invariably it seems) a 2h sword. Pretty much game over? I can't see how a character that uses magic will ever survive in the game,

Reactions: Ruthless

Sakmakiel

Apr 3, 2021
I'm still getting to grips with the game and have deleted a couple of characters after trying out new builds. From what I have seen of Magic in the game the main drawback is having to stand still, charge up the spell and then aim and release. During this time you can't block and as a big fat stationary target you'll take at least a couple of arrows or be getting hit with (almost invariably it seems) a 2h sword. Pretty much game over? I can't see how a character that uses magic will ever survive in the game,
Yeah, that were my feelings as well.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
The game is still in beta and there is currently only one of magic schools out. There are still lots of changes to come.

However, check out this mage; seems effective to me.

Great example. The key to mages is finding the fastest way to put distance between yourself and the enemy player (this video has some great examples utilizing the terrain/buildings).

The biggest problem mages have currently is when you're outside of town with nothing to jump onto (reference the 3rd fight around 2:30 he had no way of getting away from that warrior until he jumped into the water).

Because speed is so much more equalized there almost no way to put distance between you and the enemy so you MUST have warriors to peel for you.

This video is great because it shows that as a mage currently you are most effective if in a group of fighters, you have buildings to jump on, or you have water to jump into.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I find that goofy mage playstyle in the video really unappealing. Hard pass.
The way that mages are designed in this game means that they aren’t a good solo pve class hard stop.

You typically need a pet or a summon.

Mages however have the most impact on group pvp.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
I find that goofy mage playstyle in the video really unappealing. Hard pass.

Yup, mages won't be for everyone, and they don't play like mages in an other MMO.

Just out of curiosity what would you find a more appealing playstyle?

Reactions: Bicorps

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Biggest issues right working against mages are the broken no stam/no strengths bows and the reduced top speed.

I think bows will be changed eventually, but the speed might be here to stay.

if the other magic schools are coming soon then it’s no big deal, but If ecumenical is the only option for a while, there won’t be many pure mages around.Hybrids will be the new mages.

the other enticing spec will be a archer mage as that will allow mages to deal damage from afar and also help team mates with clutch heals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bicorps

Sakmakiel

Apr 3, 2021
Well, I want to roleplay as a mage, so its kinda sad for me. There is a thought that upcoming new schools will change the situation, so im looking forward right now and believing in the best.
Thanks for all your feedback, guys! Nice to read all of you!

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
The game is still in beta and there is currently only one of magic schools out. There are still lots of changes to come.

However, check out this mage; seems effective to me.

Can't ignore the fact that the guys were hitting him like a wet noodle and that he couldn't be hit by melee in water. Not bashing the video...but yeah. The moves he was doing was the correct way to play a mage though.

Last edited:

Ruthless

Mar 26, 2021
It seems veterans of MO1 have come to terms with the way Magery works while newer players like myself have higher expectations.

Personally, I feel as if it's not worth rolling a mage due to the clear disadvantages. Most notable is the inability to defend yourself in 1v1 (equal skill) type situations. I'm not saying it's completely impossible but you're at a serious disadvantage. This of course will cause many new players to roll a Warrior or quit the game entirely if they prefer to play a mage.

Group pvp is focused on heavily it seems and while that's absolutely important I also think the 1v1 type situations require the same effort. Overall balancing needs to be addressed prior to release in order to prevent people from leaving.

I use to play UO and enjoyed both styles of PvP. Groups were awesome and chilling by brit gate dueling was just as fun. Hopefully they improve Mages so they can better compete.

Sakmakiel

Apr 3, 2021
It seems veterans of MO1 have come to terms with the way Magery works while newer players like myself have higher expectations.

Personally, I feel as if it's not worth rolling a mage due to the clear disadvantages. Most notable is the inability to defend yourself in 1v1 (equal skill) type situations. I'm not saying it's completely impossible but you're at a serious disadvantage. This of course will cause many new players to roll a Warrior or quit the game entirely if they prefer to play a mage.

Group pvp is focused on heavily it seems and while that's absolutely important I also think the 1v1 type situations require the same effort. Overall balancing needs to be addressed prior to release in order to prevent people from leaving.

I use to play UO and enjoyed both styles of PvP. Groups were awesome and chilling by brit gate dueling was just as fun. Hopefully they improve Mages so they can better compete.
Actually true, man. This is just like my thoughts.