Lighting poll

Are you satisfied with how lighting works?

• Lighting should be changed. It hurts my eyes.

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • Its not bad but it was better few months back. Change it please.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Everything is fine, game looks great.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • What lighting?

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lawolf

Aug 31, 2021
Im baffled that its still like this. On yesterdays stream it was even stated that they received tons of good feedback on that change and were boasting about how awesome this is. I even took a month off partly because of this in hopes that it would change drastically T_T

I, for one, hate the crap out of it. They have so many high quality models for characters but the lightning just makes them hard to look at without feeling blinded on certain times of the day. Makes me sad because I really love their art design myself.

Meduli especially is completely crazy. Sometimes it looks like its not a desert town but a town covered in snow because everything is white lol.

Dont mind me just venting my frustration. I hope the guys that gave that positive feedback are having a blast.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Im baffled that its still like this. On yesterdays stream it was even stated that they received tons of good feedback on that change and were boasting about how awesome this is. I even took a month off partly because of this in hopes that it would change drastically T_T

I, for one, hate the crap out of it. They have so many high quality models for characters but the lightning just makes them hard to look at without feeling blinded on certain times of the day. Makes me sad because I really love their art design myself.

Meduli especially is completely crazy. Sometimes it looks like its not a desert town but a town covered in snow because everything is white lol.

Dont mind me just venting my frustration. I hope the guys that gave that positive feedback are having a blast.
Im sure there are a couple of people who thought the idea of going back to gritty was good but only a few people liked it, more are just indifferent to it. Mostly among the people that like it will like anything SV does.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Secondary to the strain on the eyes of people viewing images on a screen —
which is most important —

ib3rH0l.png

When desert or snowfields or sun-glare on water start making your surroundings look monochrome black-and-white and colours start to disappear, it is time to get out of the sunlight and rest your eyes, because they're getting damaged, and you're about to lose eyesight, maybe temporarily, maybe not.

That would be a cool effect (and by 'cool', I mean terribly, terribly hot) for parts of Sarducaa where the heat will kill you. It does not belong in the rest of Mortal Online 2.

Reactions: Valoran

Tzone

May 16, 2021
"I cant see my mouse aimer everything is too white" several random new players.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Disappointed that lighting didnt get fixed or reverted this patch, help chat is complains about it like every couple of hours every day. Not just a preference of if you like it or not. I guess its a preference to not feel actual pain. Not just salty vets its mostly newbs complaining. Streamers too.

Hopefully its only another patch away that lighting is finally fixed and I can stop changing my screen settings to just play mortal

Goltarion

Jun 3, 2020
would be nice to get a word from Henrik on if lighting is gonna be reworked at some point or if this is their final version they want to go with.
Maybe he already said something about it and i missed it?

DeusVultt

Jan 15, 2022
The lighting is blinding and it scares me that the devs are defending it as intentional... How is it intentional to blind people? Roads look pure white, indoor lighting is literally blinding white light that you cant see anything in...

Reactions: Goltarion

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
The lighting is blinding and it scares me that the devs are defending it as intentional... How is it intentional to blind people? Roads look pure white, indoor lighting is literally blinding white light that you cant see anything in...

Yeah it's dumb but at this rate if SV wants to ruin their own game idc. Their problem at the end of the day not mine

Tzone

May 16, 2021
still looks bad, I just settle on having to raise the gamma up everytime I play to have a decent game.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I largely stopped complaining because the .ini fixed my issues with the lighting. No the players are not allowed to fix the game and it is unplayable to the the lighting. Even If I wanted to struggle through the performance issues of the game I cant stand to look at the screen for more then a couple of minutes.

It really does not affect other players if we have the option to troggle it. The lighting is unrealist and horrible after you added the eyeadaptation. I have eyes IRL and I can go outside and not be blinded.

All it takes is putting UI on the settings page that then puts a 1 or 0 in the .ini next to the lighting value.

Reactions: Hooves and Angelo

Hooves

Nov 30, 2020
The shadows are flickery and look like epileptic seizure-inducing shit if they aren't on Epic quality. But on Epic quality, they're a terrible drain on resources and fps. It's a lose/lose, and I would like the option to turn shadows off.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
The shadows are flickery and look like epileptic seizure-inducing shit if they aren't on Epic quality. But on Epic quality, they're a terrible drain on resources and fps. It's a lose/lose, and I would like the option to turn shadows off.
yeah the shadows fading in and out is annoying but at least they arent rendering past a certain point. And the flickering is bad.

Domtomsen

Feb 26, 2022

I do definitely agree that there is something wrong with the darks in the game. I normally either like not dark at all, or fully dark with torches only(if done right) but nothing in-between like this game.

But are these screenshots representative for what is wrong with the lighting in-game?
Because I don't really see anything bad in these shots. Colours are vibrant.
Desert village/Meduli scene: MO with full sunlight/ real village with no sunlight at all? Strange comparison. comparing sand of Sahara with sand of Gobi desert? Also strange.

And the rest pls explain. Why does it hurt eyes. Everything looks normal to me.
The shadows are maybe a little too dark.
Maybe they are made to be displayed on HDR displays?

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
The darkness is pretty dark, I want my clade gift working. Also really unnatural and way too dark in many caves and tunnels. Darkness need more work than light itself kinda

Tzone

May 16, 2021
The darkness is pretty dark, I want my clade gift working. Also really unnatural and way too dark in many caves and tunnels. Darkness need more work than light itself kinda
For me its the contrast between light and dark. The darkness of objects in game surrounded by very bright landscape causes my eyes to adjust to see the dark figures of NPCs and players which are meer dark blobs. Lacking features when you look at them. But since my eyes adjust to see the darkness of these models they then have to adjust back to the extremely bright landscape. This causes strain on my eyes having to constantly adjust as well damages my eyes as when they are dialating to see the dark figures they take in more light then they should when they then look at something bright.

My only mitigating work around was increasing the brightness of the screen to reduce the darkness of the in game models so my eyes would have to adjust less and get a constant and regular same brightness. But looking at a bright AF screen all day cause eye problems but its playable.

For other people bright lights and bright screens which this game does have and you cant lower the gama with out the game being too dark to see things but still bright AF causes migraines. Especially in women.

The lighting in the game was fine and playable before they added eye adaption. Im ok with experimenting to see what lighting or style works but they need to admit that this is not working and just return to the old lighting which is very easy to do. They can always leave the new light that has been causing issues for people as a in game option.

After the removal of the ini that fixed the game Ive played prob less then 10 hours a week from 50+. Those 10 hours are a struggle and hurt my eyes even with night mode one, gama up to reduce the difference in brightness from the super dark models and the super bright landscape.
Game legit look better with the ini because you didnt have all these weird atifacts of shadows freaking out and disappearing shadows depending on the range, nor dark blobs for player and NPC models when every thing else is super bright AF. Game looks less immersive now.

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
Theres a single thing that i HATE about the lighting in this game. I have been hanging out at snow areas a lot lately and when its mid day, the snow is BLINDING bright, while anything thats in the shade is PITCH BLACK. You have to play with gamma on to see anything thats in the shadows, but at the same time, anything thats out in the light is literally BLINDING bright. For sure needs adjustments.

Oh yeah, and also the ability to turn off shadows. To be completely honest, i dont really give a fuck about this one anymore since i got a new computer and can run the game great, but its somewhat turned into a hill to die on kind of thing. Seb agrees that being able to turn shadows off would be a MASSIVE performance increase for literally anyone. Henrik doesnt want the option to turn shadows off because its a "next gen mmo" and it would "make it look bad". Im sorry, has anyone ever put the resolution scale setting to minimum? Theres literally nothing that could make the game look worse than that, so its kind of hypocritical. Regardless, thankfully i have a good computer now and dont really need any option to increase my performance, but i know plenty of people that dont have NASA computers and would greatly benefit from the option to turn off shadows.

Reactions: Tzone

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Theres a single thing that i HATE about the lighting in this game. I have been hanging out at snow areas a lot lately and when its mid day, the snow is BLINDING bright, while anything thats in the shade is PITCH BLACK. You have to play with gamma on to see anything thats in the shadows, but at the same time, anything thats out in the light is literally BLINDING bright. For sure needs adjustments.

Oh yeah, and also the ability to turn off shadows. To be completely honest, i dont really give a fuck about this one anymore since i got a new computer and can run the game great, but its somewhat turned into a hill to die on kind of thing. Seb agrees that being able to turn shadows off would be a MASSIVE performance increase for literally anyone. Henrik doesnt want the option to turn shadows off because its a "next gen mmo" and it would "make it look bad". Im sorry, has anyone ever put the resolution scale setting to minimum? Theres literally nothing that could make the game look worse than that, so its kind of hypocritical. Regardless, thankfully i have a good computer now and dont really need any option to increase my performance, but i know plenty of people that dont have NASA computers and would greatly benefit from the option to turn off shadows.
A game that runs at 40 frames doesnt look next gen. Having to run the game at 80% or below resolution doesnt make the game look next gen. Having to play 1080 or 720p on your 2k monitor doesnt look next gen. Having shadows flicker or disapear and reapear doesnt look next gen.

Game doesnt look next gen, and it runs poorly.

Look at BF one when dice forced eye adaption into the game to make it look next gen. They removed it before the year was up because it make the gameplay worse. At least even Dice listened to their players instead of lying about how some non exiatant people like not being able to see.

I rather have shadows and lower resolution with a blurry resolution scale then the lighting tho. The lighting is garbage.