Hey PKs - use mercy mode to ransom. It will help keep players around, and has benefits for you.

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
A few weeks ago, I was out taming horses, and some guy came up, put me into mercy mode, and said he would let me live if I tamed him a horse. So, I agreed, and did. (Horse was too high level for him though lol).

If you use mercy mode to ransom players ("gimme all your bandit heads and I'll let you live"), it turns what is normally a negative pain-in-the-ass interaction for someone who doesn't really know how to fight, or want to fight, into at least an interesting experience, that is really only a minor inconvenience. You very likely don't want all their garbage gear anyway.

Plus, you don't get a murder count!

I think of SV added a snooping skill or a "view mercy-mode player's inventory" feature, it would really help with this.

And if more PKs did this, I think it would be a really positive gain for both sides.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
They've already added a lot of penalties to being red (more than are really needed IMO). Simply making snooping a free skill so PKers can see what is in your inventory before they decide if it's worth a murder count would be good. I think a lot of the "just kill everyone" mentality comes from the uncertainty of if that naked you just saw riding by actually is an alt hauling gold to another town or not.

Reactions: Amadman

Tzone

May 16, 2021
A few weeks ago, I was out taming horses, and some guy came up, put me into mercy mode, and said he would let me live if I tamed him a horse. So, I agreed, and did. (Horse was too high level for him though lol).

If you use mercy mode to ransom players ("gimme all your bandit heads and I'll let you live"), it turns what is normally a negative pain-in-the-ass interaction for someone who doesn't really know how to fight, or want to fight, into at least an interesting experience, that is really only a minor inconvenience. You very likely don't want all their garbage gear anyway.

I think of SV added a snooping skill or a "view mercy-mode player's inventory" feature, it would really help with this.

And if more PKs did this, I think it would be a really positive gain for both sides.
PvP is already too punishing and leaving it this way will only keep droping the population. Its more like stop punishing PvP and you will get more players.

In the real game if you dont kill a person after you won they just start deleting the gear. Most of the time they delete the gear while running away from you. This is from thousands of hours of experience. People PvP for PvP most of the time they dont really care about getting loot. If you dont fight back they will kill you for not being a good sport.

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
While I agree that in some situations it is more fun to have a chat with the person than simply killing them, in most situation you cannot...
Most times I've let people live I regretted it, because most people have 0 gratitude for your act of mercy. Zero, None.
ive left people alive only for them to come back in 1-2 minutes with 2 more guys to gang up on me on multiple occasions.
It's , how do i put it... its the nature of human beings to act this way. And the game does not facilitate "mercy looting" in any way, so there's no way of doing a "fast enough look as to not affect you in the end".

D

Deleted member 44

I will never do this.

If I did do this, the player would run back to down, bank, and then jump off a cliff giving me a murder count and reputation loss. It is what it is.

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
I will never do this.

If I did do this, the player would run back to down, bank, and then jump off a cliff giving me a murder count and reputation loss. It is what it is.

So instead you'll kill them and get a murder count and reputation loss?

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
You'll get the murder count anyway... and most people who RPK dont care about murder count or reputation because its such a waste of time and bad system, they just live in a stronghold with a priest.

Reactions: Rhias and Tzone

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I like this idea.

Being able to snoop and loot mercy mode characters world at least open the door for more types of bandit roleplay.

Even if some players would not use it.

I am a roleplayer at heart even if it is pretty loose.

If someone is chasing my helpless character with obvious intend to do harm then it is natural for that character to try and flee.

Some killers may take this as me having something good because I am fleeing instead of fighting.

But for me I am running for my life, not my loot. So they will often be disappointed when they do kill me.

As for the "sport" of it. I can put up more of a challenge fleeing than fighting. Its more exciting for me as well.

All that said, I think the snooping/looting idea would open the door for more types of endings in such situations.

D

Deleted member 44

You didn't read what I said.

Death is part of the game. You might want to refund now before it's too late.

Reactions: tal0s

Tzone

May 16, 2021
These people dont even read what other people tell them. They have little to no idea how the game is played and when you attempt to inform them they either act like you never informed them or purposefully misinterpretation.

This is how its like helping a lot of noobs in this game. Its like pulling teeth because they refuse to learn. Not that they cant, learn. Its that they purposefully refuse the info you give them. Used to sit in graveyard in one of the stress test protecting it and attempting to help noobs that entire stress test. Never again wasting my time doing that. They didnt even want to attempt to learn how to play, if the game was not instantly playable with out thinking then something was wrong with the game.

Many times have players attempted to be the bandit that robs the player instead of kill them and it never works. We would even sit at the bring in fab to the grave yard and demand their pants as a toll out of boredom. Just literally just pants because we are bored. Players took offense that a players was forcing their will on them and just rather die after they started deleting their shit.

The rep and flag system is so garbage that now almost every player that PvPs just goes full murderhobo or quits. If you hit a player you go grey and they can just die by jumping off a roof to MC you. Running parcels is garbage and very few people do it so are perma neg rep so losing rep doesnt matter anymore like it used to. Used to you would go farm risars for rep and would be choosy with how you spent that rep killing players because you actually had rep to lose.

Untill they stop people from being able to delete gear instantly no reason not to just kill them. In mercy mode you can delete gear btw, you can even run to a bank and bank gear while being hit. What a garbage mechanic.

If you want a robbery feature it would have to make the ability to delete gear not happen for a decent amount of time after getting hit. Allow you to loot people who are in mercy mode. But even then being naked is just as bad as being dead because you can just ghost travel better if you are dead so being ahead while living and naked does not matter. There is no survival crafting which would make being alive in a location better then being dead if you are traveling. So the robber would only be allowed to take part of the loot. And then you the criminal would have to flee far enough so that the robbed doesnt just intentionally die by attacking them reseting the crim timer and allowing the MC. All of this doesnt matter if you are avoiding MCs because they will just kill them selves to MC you back in town.

Tea

Jan 12, 2022
The rep and flag system is so garbage that now almost every player that PvPs just goes full murderhobo or quits. If you hit a player you go grey and they can just die by jumping off a roof to MC you. Running parcels is garbage and very few people do it so are perma neg rep so losing rep doesnt matter anymore like it used to. Used to you would go farm risars for rep and would be choosy with how you spent that rep killing players because you actually had rep to lose.

I actually wonder if this is why Mortal is the way it is. I was talking to someone today about how it's the least interactive PVP MMO I've played.

Even in EVE, I might get blown up straying into Nullsec, but the guy messaged me after offering advice. New World I've had fights picked over mob spawns (if rarely) while leveling through it. And there are other games where two players might choose to meme and take screenshots instead of fight or screw around buying from each other's market stalls.

Mortal is like the worst parts of a battle royale without any of the positives like easy access to content or a clear ending.

Amelia

Jun 6, 2020

I like it ,it's something of role playing style.

Vaith

May 28, 2020
Many times when you try to tell someone to drop their loot they just start deleting everything and if you hit them every 6 sec to avoid them deleting they just panic instead and u have to kill them anyway.

manure

May 7, 2022
I will never do this.

Took words outta my mouth !
Exactly what I was going to say.

Its May 23th, and until today, these god damn worthless Devs havent fixed this issue. I report it almost everyday that people abuse and exploit this system to give murder counts to others, even when you hit someone by mistake...he goes inside town, suicide himself just to give you a count.

Obviously it was not intended to be like that by the Devs... Then, why dont they fix that, instead of doing stupid things like adding several guards all around the world in the wilderness ?
Hell... Ive witnessed people getting guard whacked far away from towns (not only in Meduli)... Look at how bad this last patch was...

Hey Devs... How about stopping creating "new contents" for the game and, instead, FIX THE BUGS AND PROBLEMS FIRST ????

Back to the topic... Snooping and Stealing would be a good thing indeed...better than murdering after you put people in mercy mode.
First, though, they need to fix the suicide BUG so people wont give counts to the...less violent bandits and scoundrels out there !

D

Deleted member 44

To be honest delete gear in general needs to go. When someone deletes something out of the inventory it should just go to the ground as a loot bag... problem is server can't handle it
The server can handle it. If the 3rd world devs at Last Oasis can do it so can SV. Same engine, same problems.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
The server can handle it. If the 3rd world devs at Last Oasis can do it so can SV. Same engine, same problems.

This is mortal, everyone will be dropping 1 unit of bone tissue at a time in the middle of Fab so it lags the crap out of everyone

BullCashish

Oct 21, 2020
This is 100% a great feature that needs to be implemented. I've killed more players than I can remember because I've had no other choice and all I wanted was their loot, not their lives. It doesn't sound like it would be too difficult to implement and would definitely be a great addition to the game, adding a lot more variety to PvP for those who want to play as a bandit or even just in general. If someone's in mercy mode, let them be looted, or allow a player to go into a 'lootable' state by turning it on themselves if a bandit tells them to do so. This creates more opportunities for emergent gameplay, and victims can lose some of their valuable loot but continue on with their journeys and live to tell the tale - this simple feature would drastically improve the game for a decent amount of players. In any case, if the game is meant to be realistic in a lot of ways, this is something that would be realistic rather than having to kill someone to see what they have.

Last edited: