Haven needs limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleckCat

Jul 17, 2020
I moved from haven today with 3 stack of pigsteel. No one killed me. No one stoped me. I had coal and didnt loose much on the way. Pick some seadews too.

I have enough mats for a couple hundred golds if i wasnt in beta. Dont let people take stuff from haven. Im rich at no risk. If more time... I could buy a keep from haven. Taking any stuff out is going to break the game.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
I moved from haven today with 3 stack of pigsteel. No one killed me. No one stoped me. I had coal and didnt loose much on the way. Pick some seadews too.

I have enough mats for a couple hundred golds if i wasnt in beta. Dont let people take stuff from haven. Im rich at no risk. If more time... I could buy a keep from haven. Taking any stuff out is going to break the game.

this. already free farming skills is quite a big handout. but keeping mats as well is wayy too much.

you could farm stacks and stacks of waterstone in haven in absolute safety

Reactions: Falcar and Suttner

Zebeid

Oct 8, 2020
When you leave Haven you should not be able to bring anything with you. Skills and Stats should have a limit to the amount they can be raised. This is how Life is Feudal, RIP, did their starter area.

Right now, I have maxed all my skills and stats, fully loaded my bank, and can now bring it to any town I wish by ghosting to the locations. I can also have a second account to farm haven, port over, empty their Haven bank, delete and start over.

alfie

Mar 28, 2021
When you leave Haven you should not be able to bring anything with you. Skills and Stats should have a limit to the amount they can be raised. This is how Life is Feudal, RIP, did their starter area.

Right now, I have maxed all my skills and stats, fully loaded my bank, and can now bring it to any town I wish by ghosting to the locations. I can also have a second account to farm haven, port over, empty their Haven bank, delete and start over.

Couldn't agree more with this and think that's the way to go.
Henrik has said they are going to limit how much you can do in Haven and what you can take away, but hasn't given specifics that I'm aware of (I only caught part of a stream though).

Haven really just needs to be a way to dip your toes and get a grip of the basics away from the sweat lords.

Reactions: Falcar

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
For some reading material.

You will see the usual suspect with bad ideas and an agenda making the argument for Haven to turn out exactly as it did in the hands of SV.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I wrote at length about this exact same issue several weeks back before the Haven patch, it appears that my concerns are now coming true:

Last edited:
Reactions: Eldrath

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
The Haven bank should be a local bank, same as all other banks. Moving to Myrland would be possible with the inventory of the bag only. Problem solved.

Reactions: Bicorps and Amadman

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
The Haven bank should be a local bank, same as all other banks. Moving to Myrland would be possible with the inventory of the bag only. Problem solved.

Yes, 36 stacks of pig iron are no problem at all.

SV should improve the actual tutorial, UI and tooltips and then set a timer for 8 hours in-game. Reduce the size of Haven as well.

Make up your mind, either it´s a farming operation or a tutorial. Trying to make it both will backfire in multiple ways.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Yes, 36 stacks of pig iron are no problem at all.

If the transporter get filled in Haven by other players and also transfers all the stacks in the destination city, yes, you are right. One guy alone can transfer about one stack only.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
If the transporter get filled in Haven by other players and also transfers all the stacks in the destination city, yes, you are right. One guy alone can transfer about one stack only.

Well, I would go through considerable trouble to get 30 stack of pig iron and 6 stacks of waterstone to one of the khurite villages. Remove all that pesky transporting from Fabernum/Kranesh/Morin Khur with all the stupid risk while still using the most effective machines instead of a Kiln/Grinder.

You already have people who exclusively live on Haven and quit the game once they experience open PvP with full loot. SV should boot them quickly or just come out and say that they want another Trammel.

Reactions: Suttner

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
I don't mind players staying there, some need more time than others to properly explore the mechanics. But I think the option to take things with you should be removed entirely. It won't be long until players set up characters to continuesly transport large quantities of materials and they'll be doing so in complete safety. Even if you shorten the timer there is no guarantees players won't find materials to transport over, they'll just do it more frequently.

New players should spawn in Myrland with nothing but their shortsword, torch and the knowledge they learned from Haven, ample resources to get you started in a new world.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Haven should have no books, only tutors. No trophies from animals, no silver from bandits. newbie gear that you now buy from vendors you get from bandits and undeads.
Can only bring what's on your character, no materials or money.

Feel free to bring as much crap newbie gear you want xD

User_name

Mar 23, 2021
Haven should have no books, only tutors. No trophies from animals, no silver from bandits. newbie gear that you now buy from vendors you get from bandits and undeads.
Can only bring what's on your character, no materials or money.

Feel free to bring as much crap newbie gear you want xD

I think teaching the book mechanic is valuable, however the amount of available books should be drastically reduced to a handful of basic 10s books. For transport to Myrland: equipped items only, no bank, no inventory. This has to be made very clear to players after char creation, otherwise they might be mad upon noticing they farmed ages for nothing.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
I think teaching the book mechanic is valuable, however the amount of available books should be drastically reduced to a handful of basic 10s books. For transport to Myrland: equipped items only, no bank, no inventory. This has to be made very clear to players after char creation, otherwise they might be mad upon noticing they farmed ages for nothing.
honestly i wish they'd revamp the books and remove the librarians. Make the skills that require books be rare discoverables by players while doing related actions. Make players who made the discoveries and maxed the skill able to write books to sell to other players. so you might crush some granum and just end up with powder for a while until you get a discovery of blood ore. low level stuff should be easily discovered but the higher level stuff should be rare and the discovery of such quite valuable. Of course, some of the really high level stuff should be from book only, requiring players to do the pve to get the reward (or buy it from other players).

tangent aside, no items should come from haven. instead be presented with a care package in the bank of the town you choose from a long lost ancestor (possibly your toon in MO1) that contains some basic gearsets to help players get started. They should know the basics from haven already and this prevents any shenanigans from bringing items over. gear should be on the same level as the crappy gear from haven vendors, more than enough to kill starter mobs even with no skills

-barcode

Reactions: Skydancer

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
+1 for tighter limits on Haven

Or even better, no items you can't carry on your person allowed out of Haven.

Reactions: Atr3au

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
What if haven was a pre-character generation experience?

Basically give them a generic dream like introduction to the game in haven before making a character.

Then when they leave they make their character and their life in nave begins then.

This would make more sense to players why their character does not get to keep what they did there. And also explains why they can not return. Basicly it does not exist and they was never actually there.

It could even aid them in the creation of their character because they would have a better understanding of how things work than they would if they had made it first.

Honestly though, as haven is now it may be just as well if they skipped it all together. Especially if this is close to the planned state of it. Since it seems to serve little of its planned purpose currently.

Last edited:

Takehitsu

Mar 22, 2021
What if haven was a pre-character generation experience?

Basically give them a generic dream like introduction to the game in haven before making a character.

Then when they leave they make their character and their life in nave begins then.

This would make more sense to players why their character does not get to keep what they did there. And also explains why they can not return. Basicly it does not exist and they was never actually there.

It could even aid them in the creation of their character because they would have a better understanding of how things work than they would if they had made it first.

Honestly though, as haven is now it would be just as well if they skipped it all together if this is the close to the planned state of it. It seems to serve little purpose as it is now.
That's a really good suggestion to be honest Although A way they could do it is their character wakes up from a dream and gets off a ship or hut etc on their starting town when they leave Haven. Maybe they have what is in their inventory almost like Haven was them dreaming about where they came from.

Reactions: Amadman
Status
Not open for further replies.