Haven in MO2

How to prevent farming in Haven?

• You can not take any items from Haven to Myrland.

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • SV will assign all items a fictional value and you can only take a small amount of that value.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • You can only take CRAFTED items and coins of X value.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • No restriction, let the pay to win begin.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Only raw materials.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Severely restrict skills available on Haven, so that farming there is a pain. (might be ineffective)

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • No trading allowed on Haven.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • None of the above, other, please post.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Restrict spawn ons Haven to the first created character on any account

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Severely restrict farming rate on Haven

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I think something along the lines of giving someone a set amount of resources, but not having anything from haven transfer over would be best. Youre a miner? Heres your 2 picks and some starting books when you appear in Myrland

I think you lack basic understandid of the foundation of Haven.
Haven is supposed to be an area were new players are able to build up a basic stock of equipment and get them used to using banks.

Old MO1 tutorial had the issue that player got their "reward" at the end of the tutorial, died, and everything was gone.
Now with Haven the hope is that when they transfer to Myrland and die for the first time they are like "doesn't matter, I got another set on my bank" instead of "Bad game, I lost everything".

Talking about new player experience... What do you think how new players will feel if they stay on Haven for hours, days, or even weeks and then they transfer to Myrland and everything is gone (expect 2 picks and some starting books?)? Right, they hit escape and press the quit game button.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I think it is fine. So long as they do not over saturate what can be found, I do not see an issue with it at all. Having a back up of animal materials, or some basic metals, when entering the world where the dedicated and the vets will have the edge and have powerful gear? That is good. It is a cushion, and it does not hurt the overall economy - it makes the mid line and lower easier to access, and the game overall more enjoy able for the mid to low end player.

I myself played just as long as many of you, years before steam, but I only ever touched a cron piece once or twice, and an old friend made me an ogh sword once I didnt deserve as gift. But other than those, i rarely even used steel. I was a mid to low end player, I liked farming animals and undead and bandits, I didnt stress about gold. A stack of steel seemed to me like a miracle, a surplus, something I didnt even know how to utilize...

New players will fall somewhere in this category near the beginning. Some will stay there. Some will push out and up for the higher end content and PvP. Either way, having more low to mid tier materials available makes both parties happier AND have it easier.

Reactions: Valoran and Rhias

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Haven is supposed to be an area were new players are able to build up a basic stock of equipment and get them used to using banks.

Old MO1 tutorial had the issue that player got their "reward" at the end of the tutorial, died, and everything was gone.
Now with Haven the hope is that when they transfer to Myrland and die for the first time they are like "doesn't matter, I got another set on my bank" instead of "Bad game, I lost everything".

Talking about new player experience... What do you think how new players will feel if they stay on Haven for hours, days, or even weeks and then they transfer to Myrland and everything is gone (expect 2 picks and some starting books?)? Right, they hit escape and press the quit game button.

Well, if there is a restriction obviously the game should tell you about it. Strawman argument.

The old tutorial was lacking on many levels. The new ones should include priest camping, ganking, getting your stuff stolen, thievery etc.
If all the frustrating experiences are not explained in the tutorial they are going to lead to rage quits. Especially with systems like thievery that are not obvious.

I think the sooner new players engage in the real game the better. While a cushion is good, bad habits die hard. That is something they need to be taught, otherwise there will be whining because they played for 50 hours and then realized they acutally didn´t want to play a full loot game after all.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Well, if there is a restriction obviously the game should tell you about it. Strawman argument.

The old tutorial was lacking on many levels. The new ones should include priest camping, ganking, getting your stuff stolen, thievery etc.
If all the frustrating experiences are not explained in the tutorial they are going to lead to rage quits. Especially with systems like thievery that are not obvious.

I think the sooner new players engage in the real game the better. While a cushion is good, bad habits die hard. That is something they need to be taught, otherwise there will be whining because they played for 50 hours and then realized they acutally didn´t want to play a full loot game after all.
They could fix every issue by giving the yellow flag an 8 hour play time limit before telling the player they are now blue and show move off of Haven as soon as they are ready

Reactions: Kelzyr

Livingshade

Jul 4, 2020

no mate, they say Wow, game is so hardcore XD

Valoran

May 28, 2020
There's just no valid reason to prevent players bringing everything they have from Haven to Myrland.

Taking everything away from new players is a surefire way to make them quit the game, and the idea that someone will pay for a new account simply to make a new character, level up all his gathering skills, gather loads of resources just to transport them to the mainland only to delete the character and do it all over again is just laughable.

No one is going to do that.

Even if their was a few people that were so afraid of loss that they did do exactly that, the number would be so insignificant that taking everything away from new players is not a justified solution.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Also, I would suggest naming poll options in a less biased fashion next time, as it essentially renders the poll completely useless otherwise.

Reactions: Rhias

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
There's just no valid reason to prevent players bringing everything they have from Haven to Myrland.

Taking everything away from new players is a surefire way to make them quit the game, and the idea that someone will pay for a new account simply to make a new character, level up all his gathering skills, gather loads of resources just to transport them to the mainland only to delete the character and do it all over again is just laughable.

Even if their was a few people that were so afraid of loss that they did do exactly that, the number would be so insignificant that taking everything away from new players is not a justified solution.
If they can delete the character and spawn again in Haven, they probably will. If they have to make a new acc then I doubt it as the losses will outweigh the benefits.

Why would a new player need to spawn multiple times in Haven tho?

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Why would a new player need to spawn multiple times in Haven tho?
New player creates a random character and joins Haven. He gets in contact with vets e.g. via Discord, Friends, Guild, Forum,... and they tell him his character build is shit and he should reroll it.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020

I do wonder how naive some of the assumptions are. Building a miner to extract blood ore is extremely fast. If you you build an exploitable system, people will exploit it. It´s as simple as that and was happening all the fucking time in MO1. I am somewhat disgusted with how light people take these kind of things, but then all your guilds were riddled with cheaters and exploiters.

You are also not taking away anything from anyone with some of the poll options. How Haven works is not set in stone for MO2. That is literally what this thread is about.

New player creates a random character and joins Haven. He gets in contact with vets e.g. via Discord, Friends, Guild, Forum,... and they tell him his character build is shit and he should reroll it.

Supposedly that should not happen with the new system. Henrik specifically said they are designing it so that it´s more of fluff choice. You could also just allow re-rolls on Haven, pretty easy fix for a non-problem.

Edit:

Did a test while cleaning the apartment. Took me 45 minutes to make blood ore, including making a new account.

Last edited:

Tehmudjin

May 28, 2020
Inside your palisade
The solution is to make farming resources on Haven so time consuming that you are better off farming on Myrland despite the risk of being killed.

Place Saburra and Granum at an appropriate distance from extraction devices and banks. DONT put a butchery table next to the River Prowler spawn etc.

Ive heard people argue that despite the slow farm rate, it is still unfair that vets can farm in safety. Of course it is, but thats their problem. If someone wants to pay $39 + monthly sub to farm at 1/4th the rate that we do on Myrland, let them waste their time and money.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
The solution is to make farming resources on Haven so time consuming that you are better off farming on Myrland despite the risk of being killed.

Place Saburra and Granum at an appropriate distance from extraction devices and banks. DONT put a butchery table next to the River Prowler spawn etc.

Ive heard people argue that despite the slow farm rate, it is still unfair that vets can farm in safety. Of course it is, but thats their problem. If someone wants to pay $39 + monthly sub to farm at 1/4th the rate that we do on Myrland, let them waste their time and money.

Added option to the poll.

Same argument was used for safe zones in MO1. I don´t buy it. :) I don´t think it works for MO as shown in TC.

It works in EVE (high-security space), although even there you can be suicide bombed.

Tehmudjin

May 28, 2020
Inside your palisade
Added option to the poll.

Same argument was used for safe zones in MO1. I don´t buy it. :) I don´t think it works for MO as shown in TC.

It works in EVE (high-security space), although even there you can be suicide bombed.

What do you mean you dont buy it? What is the problem gonna be? Write something constructive.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
What do you mean you dont buy it? What is the problem gonna be? Write something constructive.

I do not think that farming should be possible within in safe zones. The same argumentation was used with walls in MO1 - it´s slower to farm behind walls so it´s okay. The game was dead after that because no one left their walls to farm. Nearly no one used the "much better" farming outside of walls for gold generation. Later patches tried to fix this, because SV realized it´s a bad idea. So I don´t really feel the need to argue this specific point. If you played MO for 10 years and still believe you should be able to farm in safe zones ... Well, we´ll have to agree to disagree then.

I believe it´s not hard to implement an easy restriction that can be communicated to new players and disables second account farming. The amount of people who openly support this is somewhat surprising to me. Then again MO always attracted a weird kind of carebear player type.

D

Dracu

Ppl dont read stuff and when noobs invest lots of time and effort to be prepared for the maingame and fill their banks and then find out oh shit all for nothing, i think that will be a very frustrating situation for those new comers.

I dont care for vets farming that stuff. The purpose is to let newbs prepare themselves for the mainland and not to make it harder for all cause some select specials feel to abuse it for safeish farming.

So many ppl become so scared about making this game to easyand stuff its crazy.

They actually need to make mo2 more user friendly else it will go like mo1 and nobody wants that.

Reactions: Rhias and Xunila

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Give them a reroll after leaving, ez.

There really is no point in going back after being done with the tutorial, and we avoid vets exploiting and griefing in there.

Reactions: Rhias

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Ppl dont read stuff and when noobs invest lots of time and effort to be prepared for the maingame and fill their banks and then find out oh shit all for nothing, i think that will be a very frustrating situation for those new comers.

I dont care for vets farming that stuff. The purpose is to let newbs prepare themselves for the mainland and not to make it harder for all cause some select specials feel to abuse it for safeish farming.

So many ppl become so scared about making this game to easyand stuff its crazy.

They actually need to make mo2 more user friendly else it will go like mo1 and nobody wants that.

Being user friendly and being easy and being broken are all different things.

Livingshade

Jul 4, 2020

moving so much WOOD and METALS SAFELY on NOOB ISLAND into the REAL GAME has 0 valid reason? XD

Valoran

May 28, 2020
moving so much WOOD and METALS SAFELY on NOOB ISLAND into the REAL GAME has 0 valid reason? XD
Have you seen the current game? Wood is not a rare resource.

If they keep the same resources available as MO1 Haven, you won't be able to make any good metals.

So yes, no valid reason to take away everything a new player has worked for.